In need of some golf tips... - Page 44 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #1291
hailtopitt
Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: In need of some golf tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spell On Me View Post
It takes a little time to get used to it, but once you do it's a great club to have in the bag.
thats what they tell me!
hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #1292
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

So i'm no Pro, shoot mid 90's low 100's and I'm looking to pick up a new Driver for this year. Right now Golf Galaxy has some good deals on older models (save $150+). Anybody use any of the below and have some insight? They are all comparable in price. Here are the options:

TaylorMade SLDR
    TaylorMade JetSpeed
    Callaway Big Bertha
    Callaway X2 Hot

I'd like to try an adjustable driver for once. My drives usually hook, sometimes even snap-hook sharply and I'm looking for the best driver to help keep it straight, I don't need help with distance. I'm sure there is definitely a flaw in my swing attributing to the hook (as it happens off and on) but if there is a "quick fix" that one of these drivers might be able to provide I'd like to give it a shot.
    Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #1293
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

i can't speak to most of those clubs, but i had the Big Bertha for a while and i couldn't control it whatsoever off the tee.

maybe you'll have better luck/skill than me, but the Big Bertha was a big no-no for me
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #1294
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe ill get a video up later. From internet research it appears I could be 'flipping' my wrists and that could be what i'm seeing.

I feel sometimes that I'm swinging to get underneath the ball and get it in the air. It makes sense in my head to do this but in reality I know i should be swinging through the shot where a divit should be made a few inches in front of the ball.
    Bostonsux013 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #1295
    bamadavefan15

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bostonsux013 View Post
    Maybe ill get a video up later. From internet research it appears I could be 'flipping' my wrists and that could be what i'm seeing.

I feel sometimes that I'm swinging to get underneath the ball and get it in the air. It makes sense in my head to do this but in reality I know i should be swinging through the shot where a divit should be made a few inches in front of the ball.
    You shouldn't have to think about getting the ball in the air with your swing. Let the tech do the work and fire through the ball. Honestly if you're still fairly young I'd say your very short for any size person and you said you're big.

Go out the the range and get someone smart to take a glance at you if you can't figure it out.
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #1296
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I went out for the first time since last year and I noticed I was having the same problems that I was experiencing from last year.

I try not to kill the ball because I know as a big guy I already swing with enough power.

My problem is distance. I seem to be striking the ball great, I can get the ball up in the air fairly well but I'm hitting all my clubs 20-30 yards short of where I should be. I used my 7 iron multiple times from 120 out and hit the green, but i'm not satisfied since I should be able to hit a 9-pw as I have in the past.

At most courses its not a huge deal since I'll club up to make up for the distance, but on 500 yard holes ill be lucky to reach the green in three shots.

I'd rather just correct whatever I'm doing wrong and regain my distance.

Anyone else struggle with the same thing?

If so, what were you doing wrong and how did you fix it?
    Dude, honestly, it's so hard to give good advice via text like this on a golf swing. The best thing you can do is spend $100 on a couple lessons and have your local pro look at it. Google who are some good pros in your area, and get a 3 pack of lessons.

Quote:
    I was having trouble with the hybrid when I first got one too. I think I was trying to hit it more like a wood and wasn't making good contact. I steepened up the angle of attack and now I just crush it. I just wish I could use it more. I never seem to be at a good yardage to pull it out.
    Quote:
    It takes a little time to get used to it, but once you do it's a great club to have in the bag.
    Yeah, this mentality changed my golf game entirely. When I was at my worst a couple years ago, I was just swinging through the ball with all my irons, almost lifting it. Ever since I've steepened my angle of attack and started attacking the ball and driving my swing into it, my scores have plummeted. It feels so good to attack a hybrid from 225-230 out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    So i'm no Pro, shoot mid 90's low 100's and I'm looking to pick up a new Driver for this year. Right now Golf Galaxy has some good deals on older models (save $150+). Anybody use any of the below and have some insight? They are all comparable in price. Here are the options:

TaylorMade SLDR
    TaylorMade JetSpeed
    Callaway Big Bertha
    Callaway X2 Hot

I'd like to try an adjustable driver for once. My drives usually hook, sometimes even snap-hook sharply and I'm looking for the best driver to help keep it straight, I don't need help with distance. I'm sure there is definitely a flaw in my swing attributing to the hook (as it happens off and on) but if there is a "quick fix" that one of these drivers might be able to provide I'd like to give it a shot.
    Honestly, I love Cobra drivers. Use eBay, man. Cobra AMP Cell drivers are great.

But the important thing is what feels good to you. Go into a store and hit some, see what feels comfortable at address and what feels comfortable at impact. Then check out eBay, they usually have better prices than Galaxy/Golfsmith/Edwin Watts/etc.
    Old 04-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #1297
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bamadavefan15 View Post
    You shouldn't have to think about getting the ball in the air with your swing. Let the tech do the work and fire through the ball. Honestly if you're still fairly young I'd say your very short for any size person and you said you're big.

Go out the the range and get someone smart to take a glance at you if you can't figure it out.
    Yup. The internet is great for a lot of things, but fixing your golf swing isn't one of 'em.

There's nothing better than practice and a swing instructor.
    Old 04-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #1298
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

TaylorMade SLDR
    TaylorMade JetSpeed
    Callaway Big Bertha
    Callaway X2 Hot

Obviously I'm a Titleist guy, but of the ones listed I'd go with the SLDR. Just my opinon. Check eBay you can get some deals on new or slightly used drivers, especially last year's models.
    Old 04-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #1299
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

TaylorMade SLDR
    TaylorMade JetSpeed
    Callaway Big Bertha
    Callaway X2 Hot

I have the TaylorMade SLDR 430cc driver and looooove it!
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #1300
    CrushB610

My Tour Central Stats

I was leaning towards the SLDR and that will probably be what I end up going with... will check out ebay now for some prices and if I like it when I demo it, I'll snag one off of there.

For those that use the adjustable head drivers.... is it really that easy? Hook up a couple drives, adjust the head and you'll hit it straight? I'm guessing no.
    Old 04-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #1301
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was leaning towards the SLDR and that will probably be what I end up going with... will check out ebay now for some prices and if I like it when I demo it, I'll snag one off of there.

For those that use the adjustable head drivers.... is it really that easy? Hook up a couple drives, adjust the head and you'll hit it straight? I'm guessing no.
    My opinion is that the adjustability is nice, but to really get the use out of it, you have to be consistent with your ball striking. If you have say a regular left to right ball flight with a low flight that is very repeatable, then yes you can adjust it to a strighter higher flight. If you hit the ball all over the face and spray it left and right, high and low, it really doesn't do much for you.
    Old 04-17-2015, 08:06 AM   #1302
    CrushB610

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for the insight... yeah I mean that's where I would say my misses are. Sometimes I hit it straight as an arrow but when I miss, its the same miss every time. Usually a steady bending hook that starts pretty straight and starts tailing to left in flight and always bounces hard left on impact with the ground.
    Old 04-17-2015, 08:13 AM   #1303
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks for the insight... yeah I mean that's where I would say my misses are. Sometimes I hit it straight as an arrow but when I miss, its the same miss every time. Usually a steady bending hook that starts pretty straight and starts tailing to left in flight and always bounces hard left on impact with the ground.
    Then the adjustability should work for you. I think people think it's a magic bullet to take care of their misses, but unless you have the same miss over and over you could be playing around with it forever. I have 910s and I had them at the standard loft and straight bias for a year before I made a change.
    Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #1304
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I guess I didn't really provide any insight you were looking for ... I do love the SLDR and would recommend it but do what is best for you, as Spell on Me said regardless of what you get you are going to have the same misses if you continue to have the same swing and swing flaws. The ability to adjust the club is nice if you are consistent but it won't keep balls in play if you aren't swinging correctly, I'm a left handed golfer and my miss is blocking it to the right, if I don't keep my head down and turn enough on the back swing it happens regardless of how I have the club set or what driver I have. I would make sure you know what shaft flex you want and then go from there, another step would be to take lessons to further understand your swing so you can get the most out of whatever you buy (none of what you listed are bad options) and eliminate some of your misses on your new driver and the one after that. As for the 430cc head, I got it because I never played with a driver and always used 3 wood as my driver, when I started testing out clubs I was hitting both head sizes the same distance but the smaller head felt more comfortable to me. Hope you get something you like and crush it!
    Old 04-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #1305
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I guess I didn't really provide any insight you were looking for ... I do love the SLDR and would recommend it but do what is best for you, as Spell on Me said regardless of what you get you are going to have the same misses if you continue to have the same swing and swing flaws. The ability to adjust the club is nice if you are consistent but it won't keep balls in play if you aren't swinging correctly, I'm a left handed golfer and my miss is blocking it to the right, if I don't keep my head down and turn enough on the back swing it happens regardless of how I have the club set or what driver I have. I would make sure you know what shaft flex you want and then go from there, another step would be to take lessons to further understand your swing so you can get the most out of whatever you buy (none of what you listed are bad options) and eliminate some of your misses on your new driver and the one after that. As for the 430cc head, I got it because I never played with a driver and always used 3 wood as my driver, when I started testing out clubs I was hitting both head sizes the same distance but the smaller head felt more comfortable to me. Hope you get something you like and crush it!
    Old 04-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #1306
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Honestly, I can't stand the adjustments on drivers. I'd rather tinker with my swing and know that it's my swing that's making the ball do something. There's already enough things to guess at with a swing, don't need to add potential club modifications to the equation as well.
    Old 04-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #1307
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Honestly, I can't stand the adjustments on drivers. I'd rather tinker with my swing and know that it's my swing that's making the ball do something. There's already enough things to guess at with a swing, don't need to add potential club modifications to the equation as well.
    To me adjustable drivers have the same appeal as pump up sneakers.
    Old 04-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #1308
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To me adjustable drivers have the same appeal as pump up sneakers.

Thanks for getting pumped up kicks stuck in my head
    Old 04-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #1309
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Thanks for getting pumped up kicks stuck in my head
    Better run
    Old 04-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #1310
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

My Tour Central Stats

I'm starting to come around on my drives and use a Cleveland 9.5 but could use a new club as this one has it's best days behind it. I am looking to buy a Cobra Bio-Cell driver, but I don't know if I should go with a 9.5 or 10.5

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two other than loft?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of each?

I'm right handed and have been struggling with a slice which I know is not uncommon, but i just wanted to provide a little background.
    Old 04-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #1311
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm starting to come around on my drives and use a Cleveland 9.5 but could use a new club as this one has it's best days behind it. I am looking to buy a Cobra Bio-Cell driver, but I don't know if I should go with a 9.5 or 10.5

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two other than loft?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of each?

I'm right handed and have been struggling with a slice which I know is not uncommon, but i just wanted to provide a little background.
    With the adjustability of the lofts, it doesn't matter as much what the base loft is. If you have a tendancy to launch the ball low and need to get the ball up, go with the 10.5 or vice versa. I think the BioCell can be adjusted +/- 2 deg in 1/2 deg incraments, but I might be wrong on that. I think it's more important to get the right flex shaft. If you have a high swing speed go with the stiff shaft otherwise go with the regular. Hope this helps a little.
    Old 04-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #1312
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

TaylorMade SLDR
    TaylorMade JetSpeed
    Callaway Big Bertha
    Callaway X2 Hot

Demo them all and see which one feels the best, and suits your eye the best.

Also, loft up. Most people should be using 10.5

Last edited by swordo84; 04-21-2015 at 06:58 PM.
    swordo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #1313
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    With the adjustability of the lofts, it doesn't matter as much what the base loft is. If you have a tendancy to launch the ball low and need to get the ball up, go with the 10.5 or vice versa. I think the BioCell can be adjusted +/- 2 deg in 1/2 deg incraments, but I might be wrong on that. I think it's more important to get the right flex shaft. If you have a high swing speed go with the stiff shaft otherwise go with the regular. Hope this helps a little.
    I hit a 9.5 and have no difficulty lifting the ball, the problem is my slice. I've actually helped correct that in the past couple days by turning my grip more to the right and closing the clubface more. I want to abandon aiming left because I've read that all that does is add to the slice. Still, I'm hitting with quite a bit left to right movement. I want to eliminate it completely, or at least near completely.

I really should see a pro because I'm almost certain I am striking across the ball instead of straight through it. Any tips for eliminating that across the ball strike that is most likely causing the slice?
    Old 04-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #1314
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I hit a 9.5 and have no difficulty lifting the ball, the problem is my slice. I've actually helped correct that in the past couple days by turning my grip more to the right and closing the clubface more. I want to abandon aiming left because I've read that all that does is add to the slice. Still, I'm hitting with quite a bit left to right movement. I want to eliminate it completely, or at least near completely.

I really should see a pro because I'm almost certain I am striking across the ball instead of straight through it. Any tips for eliminating that across the ball strike that is most likely causing the slice?
    Your best option would definitely be to see a pro and take a lesson. Without seeing you swing its really hard to say. It sounds like your coming at the ball on more of an outside in path. Have you tried the drill where you put a towel under your left arm and try to hold it there through your swing? This will put you on more of an inside path and help get rid of the slice.
    Old 04-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #1315
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Your best option would definitely be to see a pro and take a lesson. Without seeing you swing its really hard to say. It sounds like your coming at the ball on more of an outside in path. Have you tried the drill where you put a towel under your left arm and try to hold it there through your swing? This will put you on more of an inside path and help get rid of the slice.

Looking for tips like this to see if they help even the slightest before spending $125 for a 3 pack of lessons, even though it probably would be worth it.
    Old 04-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #1316
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Looking for tips like this to see if they help even the slightest before spending $125 for a 3 pack of lessons, even though it probably would be worth it.
    Would still definitely invest in the lessons. Nothing beats having someone right there to evaluate what's happening.
    Old 04-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #1317
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

My Tour Central Stats

swung the sticks for the first time this season last night. went to the range to hit a bucket o balls. considering how bad my last round of last year was, i was impressed with how well i was hitting the ball. i was bombing my 7 iron better than i ever have in recent years. still having a hard time getting rid of my slight fade, but i've adjusted my game to account for it until it goes away.
    Old 04-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #1318
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr. testaverde View Post
    swung the sticks for the first time this season last night. went to the range to hit a bucket o balls. considering how bad my last round of last year was, i was impressed with how well i was hitting the ball. i was bombing my 7 iron better than i ever have in recent years. still having a hard time getting rid of my slight fade, but i've adjusted my game to account for it until it goes away.
    Nice! Sometimes the winter layoff isn't a bad thing. Its like a reset button for your swing.
    Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #1319
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

My Tour Central Stats

My big problem for the past couple of years has been putting. I've been struggling with 3-4 footers and its been costing me 2 or more strokes a round. Those should be automatic. I was considering changing my putter, but its not the putter's fault and I really like it. Bought a Super Grip and put it on last night. I'm hoping it will keep help, and it certainly can't hurt. Anyone using these, and has it made a difference?
    Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #1320
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nice! Sometimes the winter layoff isn't a bad thing. Its like a reset button for your swing.
    yeah my game was in a bad place in november 2014 so i was happy to put the clubs away for a few months. i guess the time off helped!

Quote:
    My big problem for the past couple of years has been putting. I've been struggling with 3-4 footers and its been costing me 2 or more strokes a round. Those should be automatic. I was considering changing my putter, but its not the putter's fault and I really like it. Bought a Super Grip and put it on last night. I'm hoping it will keep help, and it certainly can't hurt. Anyone using these, and has it made a difference?
    if you know it's not the putter's fault, then i dont think a grip will change much. my suggestion is to head to a practice green and do the following: drop a bunch of balls in a circle around the cup, 1 foot away. putt each in, if you miss one, start all over. once you make all of them in, repeat the same process but move the balls 2 feet away from the cup. once you drain all of them without missing, move them 3 feet away from the cup. etc etc. keep doing this exercise up to 4 feet. putts from 3-4 feet should be nearly automatic and you should be confident enough when you step up to the ball that you're going to make it 95+% of the time