Chicago White Sox - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #91
JTRocks

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Chicago White Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilandthelord View Post
Sucking a lot of dick.

Oh and baseball seasons take place entirely during one year, not like basketball or hockey, so you can just say 2009. Unless you actually meant over the next 2 years.

Go Cubs!
oh, and just so you know, after your team breezes through those 162 games, theres also this thing called the playoffs where they have to win 11 more games and then they win a world series. you should call them up and let them know, because i dont know if they've figured that part out out yet...
JTRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #92
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JTRocks View Post
    World Series

seriously, baseball is the least predictable sport as far as looking at it from a "whole season"

If some of these new guys pan out, we could easily take the division. And at this point, i put full trust in kenny williams as the gm, if he brings in a guy and says hes gonna be good, i trust him.

basically, i wouldnt take any other gm in baseball over kenny right now. shit, i would rather have kenny over jerry angelo
    Did you just put Angelo as the same tier GM as Kenny Williams!?!?!?! Angelo is a joke of a GM. Williams sometimes does some very dumb things, and worries too much about the Cubs. That aside, he usually manages to put the White Sox in position to compete in most years. Though in the case of last year it took (Tigers, Twins, and Indians) all under performing to get to the post season. Kenny was given that window though, and he took it.

Angelo on the other hand.... is a joke.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #93
    JTRocks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    Did you just put Angelo as the same tier GM as Kenny Williams!?!?!?! Angelo is a joke of a GM. Williams sometimes does some very dumb things, and worries too much about the Cubs. That aside, he usually manages to put the White Sox in position to compete in most years. Though in the case of last year it took (Tigers, Twins, and Indians) all under performing to get to the post season. Kenny was given that window though, and he took it.

Angelo on the other hand.... is a joke.
    you might have misunderstood what i was trying to say. In a joking way, i said i would take kenny williams as the gm of the bears over jerry angelo.

and even though those teams may have underperformed, i would still be willing to bet that at least minnesota would have gave you guys more of a run for your money than any of the teams in your division.
    Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #94
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

kenny had me wondering what the hell he was doing by bringing in griff last year...another sub .250 hitter with pop...just what the whitesox needed
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #95
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Chances of this thread catching the Cubs thread in replies?

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #96
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    chances in the cubs catching the whitesox in ws rings?

...they only need 1 more come on!!!!
    Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #97
    monkeyman420

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoydIsHuge View Post
    So....White Sox 2009-2010...Predictions?
    Hard to make a prediction when there are still question marks as to who is playing CF and 2B, who will lead off, and who will be the 4 and 5 starters. Also big question marks with Danks and Floyd, will they have sophomore slumps or will they be able to repeat or better yet improve from last year. Will Carlos Quentin rebound from his injury or will he have a season like Derek Lee had after his wrist injury? Will Konerko have a monster year or will he repeat 08?

Too many questions right now to really make a prediction. Have to see what happens in spring training and who ends up where before a prediction can really be made.
    monkeyman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #98
    JTRocks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    Chances a cub fan will ever come up with a more compelling "sox vs cubs" argument other than their team's popularity....
    Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #99
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you might have misunderstood what i was trying to say. In a joking way, i said i would take kenny williams as the gm of the bears over jerry angelo.

and even though those teams may have underperformed, i would still be willing to bet that at least minnesota would have gave you guys more of a run for your money than any of the teams in your division.
    I know the Twins were trouble for the Sox last year, but the Cubs were a better team then the Sox in 2008. If you don't understand that, you are delusional. There's not a chance in hell the Twins beat out last years Cub team for the division title. Did the Cubs choke in the playoffs? Horribbly. It took almost losing every game for two weeks in Sept. to stop the Cubs from winning around 105 games.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pathetic View Post
    chances in the cubs catching the whitesox in ws rings?

...they only need 1 more come on!!!!
    1885, 1907, 1908, and 2009
    Quote:
    Chances a cub fan will ever come up with a more compelling "sox vs cubs" argument other than their team's popularity....
    The whole Cubs V.s. Sox thing means a lot more to Sox fans then Cubs fan. For every stupid Cubs fan that says popularity as a reason. There's a stupid Sox fan saying 2005 still makes them a better team today, or "You know what's a good day on the south side?"

Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #100
    JTRocks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The whole Cubs V.s. Sox thing means a lot more to Sox fans then Cubs fan. For every stupid Cubs fan that says popularity as a reason. There's a stupid Sox fan saying 2005 still makes them a better team today, or "You know what's a good day on the south side?"
    i wasnt the one who started it. it was the cubs fans coming into this thread and bashing the sox.

and c'mon, if you have two teams in the same sport in the same city, of course they're gonna be compared/argued over. I love having two teams in my city, it makes things so much more fun.

And i never really said that the twins would have beat the cubs, i was trying to make a point that they probly would have put up more of a fight for the division than the brewers.
    Old 02-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #101
    BoydIsHuge

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sucking a lot of dick.

Oh and baseball seasons take place entirely during one year, not like basketball or hockey, so you can just say 2009. Unless you actually meant over the next 2 years.

Go Cubs!
    Just a typical Cubs fan response. Cubs fans are without a doubt the most obnoxious fans in all of baseball and this isn't just coming from a Sox fan, it is coming from a fan of baseball in general. Sox fans aren't perfect, but MY GOD. All I hear every year is "THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!!!" Well, actually, if my math is correct...it's going on 101 years now so obviously it isn't your year. It used to bug me when all I heard were Cubs fans blaming Bartman, a goat, or a cat for their playoff collapses, but now i just chuckle to myself. Blame everyone but the team you support. Blame everyone but Alex Gonzalaz fumbling with a routine grounder. I would have more respect for Cubs fans if they wouldn't make excuses about every goddamn thing. If I had the opportunity to erase one thing in history....it wouldn't be an attack on America or an assassination...it would be to stop the formation of the Chicago Cubs so I wouldn't have to deal with their fans. Believe it or not, I actually like some of the players on their roster. It's just a shame that I will never be able to cheer for them....ever. If the Cubs were playing a team that consisted of Osama Bin Ladin, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, Philip Rivers, Saddam Hussein, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Adolph Hitler....I'm without a doubt pulling for Bundy and crew. Go Sox.

BoydIsHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #102
    JTRocks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just a typical Cubs fan response. Cubs fans are without a doubt the most obnoxious fans in all of baseball and this isn't just coming from a Sox fan, it is coming from a fan of baseball in general. Sox fans aren't perfect, but MY GOD. All I hear every year is "THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!!!" Well, actually, if my math is correct...it's going on 101 years now so obviously it isn't your year. It used to bug me when all I heard were Cubs fans blaming Bartman, a goat, or a cat for their playoff collapses, but now i just chuckle to myself. Blame everyone but the team you support. Blame everyone but Alex Gonzalaz fumbling with a routine grounder. I would have more respect for Cubs fans if they wouldn't make excuses about every goddamn thing. If I had the opportunity to erase one thing in history....it wouldn't be an attack on America or an assassination...it would be to stop the formation of the Chicago Cubs so I wouldn't have to deal with their fans. Believe it or not, I actually like some of the players on their roster. It's just a shame that I will never be able to cheer for them....ever. If the Cubs were playing a team that consisted of Osama Bin Ladin, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, Philip Rivers, Saddam Hussein, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Adolph Hitler....I'm without a doubt pulling for Bundy and crew. Go Sox.
    i heard Dahmer has an insane curveball
    Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #103
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #104
    Garrettnettz

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Glad to see a sox thread. I've been a huge sox fan for well over 15 years. Anyway, I saw a computer generated program that has proven to have been pretty accurate in picking divisional winners... And of the 100 sim-ed seasons the sox won exactly 0. Over/under for wins was 77. Ugh. Anyway, we had a similar outlook in 05 I suppose. I guess I much prefer the good old days when every team had question marks and you just went and battled it out. Now it seems u have to be rediculously stacked or else have a magical run a la 2008 rays to make it anywhere. Free agency and deadline trades are too much of what its about and that sucks. Oh and fuck the motherfuckin cubs.
    Garrettnettz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 AM   #105
    Sou1 So1di3r
    Augustana

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

The only thing I hate more than white sox fans is that fucking psycho manager they have. fuck ozzie

LOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Sou1 So1di3r is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #106
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just a typical Cubs fan response. Cubs fans are without a doubt the most obnoxious fans in all of baseball and this isn't just coming from a Sox fan, it is coming from a fan of baseball in general. Sox fans aren't perfect, but MY GOD. All I hear every year is "THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!!!" Well, actually, if my math is correct...it's going on 101 years now so obviously it isn't your year. It used to bug me when all I heard were Cubs fans blaming Bartman, a goat, or a cat for their playoff collapses, but now i just chuckle to myself. Blame everyone but the team you support. Blame everyone but Alex Gonzalaz fumbling with a routine grounder. I would have more respect for Cubs fans if they wouldn't make excuses about every goddamn thing.
    This sounds like a typical Sox fans response. Honestly you have to accept that regardless of fanbase you're going to find homers and idiots. They exist in the Cubs fanbase, and in your White Sox fanbase.

Quote:
    If I had the opportunity to erase one thing in history....it wouldn't be an attack on America or an assassination...it would be to stop the formation of the Chicago Cubs so I wouldn't have to deal with their fans.
    I'm not sure if the White Sox would be around if you erased the Cubs. I know the Bears wouldn't exist. Then lets say the White Sox were the only Chicago team, all the Cubs fans would have then grown up White Sox fans.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #107
    Sou1 So1di3r
    Augustana

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

knowledge ZING!
    Sou1 So1di3r is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #108
    devilandthelord
    WFT

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

WhiteSox fans like to hate the Cubs more than they like to root for their own team.
    Which is why they suck.
    devilandthelord is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #109
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    WhiteSox fans like to hate the Cubs more than they like to root for their own team.
    Which is why they suck.
    It starts with their front office. You could make a quote book out of the shit Reinsdorf, Williams, and Ozzie say about the Cubs. When do Hendry and the Cubs managers talk smack about the White Sox? It's a culture thing.

Don't get me wrong, there's probaby a portion of the Cubs fans who would LOVE to hear Hendry shit talk the White Sox. Then those Cubs fans and Sox fans get together in the winter and yell about Bears weather and things of that nature.

I just think if you saw the White Sox run like a normal orginization, you'd see less of those "YOU KNOW WHAT'S A GOOD DAY ON THE SOUTH SIDE!" crap. I like Kenny as a GM though. Reinsdorf is a horrible owner though who treats the White Sox like a small market team in a big city. Ozzie is an idiot, and would have been fired by any other team at this point.

I do have a question for White Sox fans though. Is the 3 year rule on pitchers contracts from Kenny or Reinsdorf? In case others don't know what I'm talking about. The White Sox refuse to give a pitcher a contract longer then 3 years. This mainly comes from something that happened in 1997 when a 4 year deal went bad with Navarro. They kind of bent the rule a bit for Buehrle though and gave him a 4th year.

That was crazy because he was literally so close to being traded, but they had a change of heart last second. But basically these guys could of had Sabathia last season, and would have let him walk over years.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #110
    JTRocks

My Tour Central Stats

First off, all this cubs-sox nonsense (in this thread) started with someone asking "how do you think the sox will fare this year?" to which a cub fan came in here immediately after, (probly as soon as he saw that there was a sox thread) and said "sucking a lot of dick." It didnt start by one of us coming into you're thread and saying anything! And for the record, i also find it hilarious when bears fans talk about "bear weather" as well.

and the whole 3 year rule thing, i dont know who's policy it is because you can attribute it to either Reinsdorfs jewness or the fact that Kenny always plays it safe. He rarely ever pulls of a "risky" trade, and basically any trade he does pull off, it seems like he usually gets the upper hand in the trade. And really i actually dont mind the rule, in todays era of baseball, the contracts for pitchers are getting bigger, yet it seems that all around their shelf lives are getting shorter.

now back to the whole sox-cubs hate. I love it!!. I think it makes the baseball season so much more entertaining having competition in the city. I cant imagine growing up in a city that only had 1 team, i just cant.
    Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #111
    monkeyman420

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It starts with their front office. You could make a quote book out of the shit Reinsdorf, Williams, and Ozzie say about the Cubs. When do Hendry and the Cubs managers talk smack about the White Sox? It's a culture thing.

Don't get me wrong, there's probaby a portion of the Cubs fans who would LOVE to hear Hendry shit talk the White Sox. Then those Cubs fans and Sox fans get together in the winter and yell about Bears weather and things of that nature.

I just think if you saw the White Sox run like a normal orginization, you'd see less of those "YOU KNOW WHAT'S A GOOD DAY ON THE SOUTH SIDE!" crap. I like Kenny as a GM though. Reinsdorf is a horrible owner though who treats the White Sox like a small market team in a big city. Ozzie is an idiot, and would have been fired by any other team at this point.

I do have a question for White Sox fans though. Is the 3 year rule on pitchers contracts from Kenny or Reinsdorf? In case others don't know what I'm talking about. The White Sox refuse to give a pitcher a contract longer then 3 years. This mainly comes from something that happened in 1997 when a 4 year deal went bad with Navarro. They kind of bent the rule a bit for Buehrle though and gave him a 4th year.

That was crazy because he was literally so close to being traded, but they had a change of heart last second. But basically these guys could of had Sabathia last season, and would have let him walk over years.
    What exactly have they said that you could make a book out of it? I've heard condescending quotes from them towards the Cubs, but I don't think it's anywhere near the level that you seem to think. Also remember, the Chicago Tribune owned the Cubs for over 20 years. There has been and still is a difference in reporting the Cubs and Sox in the media. The first example I can think of is when the Tribune ran an article in the sports section on day 1 of the 05 World Series about someone being caught smoking pot outside of US Cellular. And that was page 1 of the sports page. What the hell did that have to do with the White Sox or the World Series??? Yet someone gets murdered a year later outside Wrigley Field, during baseball season, and that's not mentioned.

I don't know where the 3 year rule comes from, probably from Reinsdorf, but I do know it's an organizational philosophy. And in all honesty, I agree with it. With the money starting pitchers make these days it is very risky to give a pitcher a 5 year deal worth let's say 75 million. That's 15 mil a season. Pitchers have shown that they start to deteriorate as time goes on, so the last 1 or 2 years of a 5 year deal that pitcher may not be worth that 15 mil a year they are making. This then causes problems for the team in terms of payroll and also causes a problem when trying to trade a pitcher. Do you Cubs fans think Z is going to be worth 18.3 million a year 3 years from now? It's a huge gamble, and it's one the Sox aren't willing to take, and I can't blame them for that.

And not all Sox fans care more about the Cubs than the Sox. The idiots do, the meatheads do, but I know plenty of Cubs fans who say they don't care about the Sox yet always rip on the Sox whenever I see them. It goes both ways. And posting in this thread to say that Sox fans care more about the Cubs than the Sox proves my point.

And no pitcher should ever get a 7 year deal. See Barry Zito. That Sabathia deal will bite the Yankees in the ass.
    Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #112
    monkeyman420

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garrettnettz View Post
    Glad to see a sox thread. I've been a huge sox fan for well over 15 years. Anyway, I saw a computer generated program that has proven to have been pretty accurate in picking divisional winners... And of the 100 sim-ed seasons the sox won exactly 0. Over/under for wins was 77. Ugh. Anyway, we had a similar outlook in 05 I suppose. I guess I much prefer the good old days when every team had question marks and you just went and battled it out. Now it seems u have to be rediculously stacked or else have a magical run a la 2008 rays to make it anywhere. Free agency and deadline trades are too much of what its about and that sucks. Oh and fuck the motherfuckin cubs.
    And what roster did this computer program use to determine the outcomes? There are questions as to who is going to play 2B, 3B, and CF, as well as who fills in the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation. Without knowing the answers to those questions you really can't make a prediction right now. I'll reserve predictions until the end of spring training when we know who is playing where and how they did in ST. Until then, enjoy the fact baseball is back and that it's going to be exciting seeing some of these young guys play.
    Old 03-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #113
    BoydIsHuge

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Which is why they suck.
    100% untrue. In my case at least.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #114
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyman420 View Post
    And no pitcher should ever get a 7 year deal. See Barry Zito. That Sabathia deal will bite the Yankees in the ass.
    Don't compare Zito to Sabathia. Most people knew that was a bad deal going into it. No one thought it be THAT bad, but what Sabathia did last year was nothing short of amazing. Though I wouldn't mind it biting them in the ass.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #115
    BoydIsHuge

My Tour Central Stats

How many out there enjoy listening to Hawk? All I hear is how bad and annoying he is. Sure he can ramble on about pointless crap and talk about his glory days as if he was one of baseball's elite, but I can always overlook that and I enjoy hearing him on the air. I don't care who hates him, White Sox baseball is more enjoyable for me with Hawk being our play-by-play man.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #116
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Why do Sox fans have to always come in and ruin a good thread?

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #117
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How many out there enjoy listening to Hawk? All I hear is how bad and annoying he is. Sure he can ramble on about pointless crap and talk about his glory days as if he was one of baseball's elite, but I can always overlook that and I enjoy hearing him on the air. I don't care who hates him, White Sox baseball is more enjoyable for me with Hawk being our play-by-play man.
    As a baseball fan in general. Hawk makes Ron Santo look unbiast. I honestly have no idea how Stone is going to handle Hawk. Because Stone won't even go on Mike Murphy's show anymore because Murphy is a giant homer. Hawk goes off on rants about teacups and strike zones and all that crap. He makes it seem like the umps are out to get the White Sox in every game.

Most of my White Sox fans hate Hawk, but are really happy a good baseball mind in Steve Stone will be in the booth this year. Maybe you're just used to Hawk, but I don't see what he brings to the table. Though I think last year's radio tandem of Stone and Ed Farmer would have made a great TV booth. They don't demean your intelligence like Hawk.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #118
    Garrettnettz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyman420 View Post
    And what roster did this computer program use to determine the outcomes? There are questions as to who is going to play 2B, 3B, and CF, as well as who fills in the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation. Without knowing the answers to those questions you really can't make a prediction right now. I'll reserve predictions until the end of spring training when we know who is playing where and how they did in ST. Until then, enjoy the fact baseball is back and that it's going to be exciting seeing some of these young guys play.
    Don't get me wrong I want us to do well. Just saying this particular website had a proven formula in the past 5 yrs they had a good rep for picking divisional winners. Anyway, that's kind of a redic point... Don't you think the fact that we have question marks in all those positions makes our chances @ being an above .500 team that much slimmer? I love our young talent though, just may be a year before it develops. Which is fine.
    Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #119
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As a baseball fan in general. Hawk makes Ron Santo look unbiast. I honestly have no idea how Stone is going to handle Hawk. Because Stone won't even go on Mike Murphy's show anymore because Murphy is a giant homer. Hawk goes off on rants about teacups and strike zones and all that crap. He makes it seem like the umps are out to get the White Sox in every game.

Most of my White Sox fans hate Hawk, but are really happy a good baseball mind in Steve Stone will be in the booth this year. Maybe you're just used to Hawk, but I don't see what he brings to the table. Though I think last year's radio tandem of Stone and Ed Farmer would have made a great TV booth. They don't demean your intelligence like Hawk.
    That ball was Fair GAD DANGGIT!!!! AWWWW Hell...MERCY!!!!!!
    Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #120
    Garrettnettz

My Tour Central Stats

Hawk is no different than most baseball announcers. They are like family, you don't always like everything abt them but you have to embrace them. I would take hawk anyday over dj. Thank god s stone is in there w/ hawk now. That's such a good pair.

Tags
    mlb , white sox