**Official Running Thread** - Page 76 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #2251
laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by newscane View Post
I typically just rest between mile repeats.
Do you have any tempo runs on your schedule? Those can help with your speed.

I'm so far from being in the neighborhood of a BQ that it's not even worth thinking about right now...
i forgot about tempo runs... good call
might have to start using a gps watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by haybale97 View Post
Just finished my fifth half marathon, finally beat the time I set the first time I ran by almost three minutes. I definitely could have shaved a few more minutes if I had a better schedule these past two weeks.

I need to start addressing how I'm hydrating prior to these races, because this is the second one where I allowed myself to become way too dehydrated. I drank almost 64 ounces of non-caffeinated fluid before this race along with ~16 ounces of iced coffee (standard cup of coffee for me). I tried to drink at all of the water stops but missed maybe 3 due to congestion and not paying enough attention to them coming up. I just have such a difficult time drinking while running, my stomach just doesn't want to accept it.
did you cramp up during the run?
like oasisfan said, hydration starts days before the actual race. i have trouble with this too. just always carry a water bottle with you, I often buy a pack of those flavored electrolyte powders to mix in. someone once told me as a rule of thumb, drink your body weight in ounces everyday

if you don't want to depend on the rest stops, you could do the handbottle for your next race.... although that has pros/cons

also, that seems like a lot of fluids to drink beforehand. i think i would have felt sick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
Had a 4 mile this weekend in 26:30... Got 3rd place among adults...wish these damn teenager cross county fucks would stop showing up at every race and smoking my ass...they're really messing up my game. I might have to beat one up to prove a point...

3rd place is great. did you get a prize or anything?
laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #2252
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

So yesterday I tried to do a fartlek but it's been about 10 years since high school so correct me if I did this wrong.

Ran 2 miles with 30 second jog the 30 second run and repeat the whole time.

Today I did a track workout that I wouldn't mind if someone could give me pointers or let me know if it's fine. Kind of just made it up

800 warmup
    Stretch
    5 x 400 (200 walk between)
    5 x 200 (200 walk between)
    5 x 100 (100 walk between)
    800 cool down
    Stretch

Any tips would be helpful

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #2253
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post

3rd place is great. did you get a prize or anything?
    I don't know I had to take off after the kids' run for a sweet bouncy castle birthday party.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #2254
    newscane
    It's all about the..

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i forgot about tempo runs... good call
    might have to start using a gps watch
    My training schedule alternates between bridge runs and tempo runs on Mondays. This was the first Monday in a while that I actually attempted a tempo run (was working nights two Mondays ago, and two Mondays before that.. so I think my last tempo was first week of June). Was supposed to be 6 miles w/ 4 at a 7:55-8:15 pace. There were about 10 of us who had similar workouts, and we all met up at 5 this morning (yes, you read that right). I started out at an 8:30 pace, and never really picked up much beyond that. I think there was only one of us who did Just too damn hot & humid here these days, even at 5 AM!
    my taping | my coverart | my shows
    newscane is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #2255
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Got an early birthday gift from a good friend of mine, that also happens to be a runner... a camelback. I had asked if used one and he does and how much he likes it for long runs. Well low and behold a week later a package from Amazon shows up. Looking forward to trying it out soon. Here is what I got so if anyone can shed some light, Laura , it would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Water...ak+watermaster
    Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #2256
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Took the camelback out for a dry run this morning. Kept the run short, no water in the camelback, just wanted to get a feel for it. Did one small adjustment with the torso strap, but other then that no other changes. Going to add water and increase distance tomorrow. But so far, pretty nice and you don't really feel it. Will post more as I use it.
    Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #2257
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone here have any experience with groin strains? I don't do well injured, so this is not an area I enjoy. I tend to be the type that will work through an injury, instead of resting. So if anyone has had a groin strain, what was recovery time like? Was there a recurrence, like you for out too soon? Thanks in advance.
    Old 07-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #2258
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with groin strains? I don't do well injured, so this is not an area I enjoy. I tend to be the type that will work through an injury, instead of resting. So if anyone has had a groin strain, what was recovery time like? Was there a recurrence, like you for out too soon? Thanks in advance.
    nooo, im sorry to hear that!!! how long has this been going on? only when running?

maybe haybale can drop some PT knowledge on that issue. i think it's best to lay off running now, instead of making the problem worse and causing greater consequences in a few weeks.

im in a similar boat... i tried to brush off my hip pain and didn't take enough off time, which ruined my form and caused other muscles to compensate and overwork for the weak hip... now I have created new issues im taking a week off from running and hope to feel fresh this tues when I attempt an easy 5k.

with running, you always want to push yourself, but it's important to know if you're actually causing more damage than improvement. there's a difference between pushing yourself to do 1 last 400m sprint because it's hot and humid, and pushing yourself in a regular run from unfamiliar muscle/joint pain. in your case, you might just need a week off and some ice. it would be terrible if your next couple of runs result in you being out for multiple weeks, especially with NYC to be planning for.

i would read up from google to get a good feel of what your symptoms match. trust me, I understand how stressful and disappointing this is for you!!! ive been depressed about my situation for a while now but a week or so off might be all you need!

and for all you injury free runners in here that are increasing miles and intensity, you better be stretching and doing some abduction exercises!!!!!
    Old 07-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #2259
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    nooo, im sorry to hear that!!! how long has this been going on? only when running?

maybe haybale can drop some PT knowledge on that issue. i think it's best to lay off running now, instead of making the problem worse and causing greater consequences in a few weeks.

im in a similar boat... i tried to brush off my hip pain and didn't take enough off time, which ruined my form and caused other muscles to compensate and overwork for the weak hip... now I have created new issues im taking a week off from running and hope to feel fresh this tues when I attempt an easy 5k.

with running, you always want to push yourself, but it's important to know if you're actually causing more damage than improvement. there's a difference between pushing yourself to do 1 last 400m sprint because it's hot and humid, and pushing yourself in a regular run from unfamiliar muscle/joint pain. in your case, you might just need a week off and some ice. it would be terrible if your next couple of runs result in you being out for multiple weeks, especially with NYC to be planning for.

i would read up from google to get a good feel of what your symptoms match. trust me, I understand how stressful and disappointing this is for you!!! ive been depressed about my situation for a while now but a week or so off might be all you need!

and for all you injury free runners in here that are increasing miles and intensity, you better be stretching and doing some abduction exercises!!!!!
    It just started in Saturday. I was having some right knee discomfort, so I took it easy this week, only 1 run. Saturday, everything felt great, so hit up for some nice slow miles. In the last 5k, felt a little twing and just slowed up a bit and finished the run.

Rest of the day was very delicate and tender. Stretched at times during the day, tried to keep off me feet and it felt ok. Today was better, just taking it easy and seeing how the strain reacts to stretching and rest.

I would really like to get back out on Tuesday, but at the same time not wanting to risk longer term if I come back too soon. Will see how it feels tomorrow and then decide.
    Old 07-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #2260
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Went for a short run this morning to see how the ol' body felt. Everything checked out ok, which is a good sign. Had the duct tape and hot glue ready at home if anything fell off. Going to keep it easy the rest of the week, no point in risking anything right now.
    Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #2261
    newscane
    It's all about the..

My Tour Central Stats

I was on a different work schedule today (noon-11:30ish), so I wasn't about to get up at 4:45am to run with my usual running club group. Tried to run around 9, and just couldn't: sun was already beating down, and the sidewalk near my complex just felt like too much of an impact (major road, so running on asphalt is out). Wound up doing 20 minutes on the elliptical instead, still a tough workout! Can't run tomorrow for scheduling reasons, and I'm off to running camp w/ my club on Thursday, should be a good time!
    Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #2262
    dmbman32
    Turn your back, Charles

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Here's a random, generic question for all you runners:

What would you say your average mile time is during your run?

When I run 3.5-4 miles each work out, I probably average somewhere between 7:00-7:30 per mile.
    Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #2263
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbman32 View Post

When I run 3.5-4 miles each work out, I probably average somewhere between 7:00-7:30 per mile.
    Yeah that's my average too. Sometimes 7:30-8 depending how hot it is
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #2264
    haybale97
    king of men

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

My mile time is usually between 745-800

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #2265
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Went for a short run this morning to see how the ol' body felt. Everything checked out ok, which is a good sign. Had the duct tape and hot glue ready at home if anything fell off. Going to keep it easy the rest of the week, no point in risking anything right now.
    good to hear !!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbman32 View Post

honestly i have no idea
    i know im in the minority but i never pay attention to my speed, just go by how i feel. i just like knowing i put in a lot of effort, regardless of the pace.... because it doesnt always reflect effort. maybe that makes me a hippy runner

the exception is for wicked long runs, (15+) when i figure out my avg pace afterwards...always shoot for 8:30 or below

my 5k is like a 6:45, so im assuming a normal run would be around a 7:45 ?
    Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #2266
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    good to hear !!!

honestly i have no idea
    i know im in the minority but i never pay attention to my speed, just go by how i feel. i just like knowing i put in a lot of effort, regardless of the pace.... because it doesnt always reflect effort. maybe that makes me a hippy runner

the exception is for wicked long runs, (15+) when i figure out my avg pace afterwards...always shoot for 8:30 or below

my 5k is like a 6:45, so im assuming a normal run would be around a 7:45 ?
    that's a good speed. I need a new run to run. Probably running the half marathon in Baltimore if anyone is doing that.
    Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #2267
    jackisback24
    He's using hypnosis!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

booked a trip for Keene NH for the Covered Bridge marathon Labor Day. Should be fun...mountain biking in the area is very pleasant.
    jackisback24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #2268
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Holy crap there are some speedsters in this thread. This old man is happy to knock break a hip on a run. Actually I have been pleasantly surprised with my overall speed this past year. Not as fast as I once was, but very happy with my progress to get back to times that I know I am capable of, which is all I ask of myself. I don't run with a Garmin/GPS device, so I have no clue on a run what my pace is. Like Laura said, I run by feel for that day. Feeling good, I push it. Feel bad, find something comfortable and log the miles.
    Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #2269
    oasisfan35

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Jamestown, RI was a fair course. A lot of steady uphills but nothing daunting just the very opposite of my extreme hike which had a wicked percentage of downhill. Compared to Providence it was almost night/day with asphalt as opposed to concrete and abundant vs nonexistent shade.

I felt good and was right on my planned pace for the first ten miles, then my right legged tightened up something fierce and the final 3.1 were easily the most painful steps in my life. I had to completely stop a few times for the pain to subside as well as to admonish myself about destroying my time. I've been icing at night and failing miserably at remembering wall-sits but I'm getting there. It's been an awful two weeks since not logging any real miles but I tend to believe it's for the better.

As of this moment I only have the Newport half on the calendar. I'm looking to add the Gulf Beach half on 9/13 and the TARC Fall Classic 10K on 10/18 but I'm playing those by ear. Also working on getting my pal to drive out to Boulder as soon as we get off the plane in October to run the Mesa Trail before we check in to the hotel and partake in all the Great American Beer Fest events.
    Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 AM   #2270
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

I hate marathon training. That is all, carry on.
    Old 07-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #2271
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone ever buy shoes on Amazon? I'm on a budget right now, and saving 45 dollars on the Kayano 20 is pretty appealing. Would just hate to not be able to return them after a little test run.

Would feel so shitty if I went to a running store just to try something out with no intention to purchase. Dick's doesn't seem to have them in stock locally.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #2272
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    Anyone ever buy shoes on Amazon? I'm on a budget right now, and saving 45 dollars on the Kayano 20 is pretty appealing. Would just hate to not be able to return them after a little test run.

Would feel so shitty if I went to a running store just to try something out with no intention to purchase. Dick's doesn't seem to have them in stock locally.
    Amazon is apparently pretty good on returns. Check Zappos however, that company has absolutely hooked me up on multiple occasions.
    Old 07-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #2273
    newscane
    It's all about the..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does anyone LIKE marathon training??

While I'm here... I was at a running camp with my running club last week (Thurs-Sun) in Boone, NC. The break from the heat/humidity was great, and had a great time with everyone from my club? But the mountains/hills kicked my butt... and my quads, and my hamstrings! Took Monday off, had a decently strong run Tuesday, a good track session yesterday, and a good recovery/easy run this morning. My coach had me down for 5 miles at 10:00-11:00... I wound up running 4 miles @ 9:45 avg...
    Old 07-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #2274
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Have to do a 10 miler on Sunday...starting at 10 am...when its supposed to be about 95 degrees.

Here's the elevation profile (the green one):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x3nt-ihnPM...eries+2013.png

Going to be painful as shit, I will be impressed with myself if I can do it in 1:40.
    Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #2275
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Oh, fuck me. I guess its 13.1 this year...
    Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #2276
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Doing 13/1 on Saturday as well. On Whiteface mountain.
    Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #2277
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    hang in there

ive been taking it really easy, slowly increasing mileage, trying to do 2 days of running and then 1 day of cross training until my runs become pain free... whenever that will be
    i did just under 6 this morning and felt pretty good. it's frustrating because i imagined i would have been much further along at this point, almost like everything i did all winter long went to waste, but oh well. ive accepted the fact that i won't PR in november, but at least it will be a good opportunity to see what "big" marathons are like. keep reminding myself if i take it somewhat easy now (while training for a marathon lol), i will have a good foundation to work off of in the winter

also interested in doing a half in sept/oct
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newscane View Post
    Does anyone LIKE marathon training??

While I'm here... I was at a running camp with my running club last week (Thurs-Sun) in Boone, NC. The break from the heat/humidity was great, and had a great time with everyone from my club? But the mountains/hills kicked my butt... and my quads, and my hamstrings! Took Monday off, had a decently strong run Tuesday, a good track session yesterday, and a good recovery/easy run this morning. My coach had me down for 5 miles at 10:00-11:00... I wound up running 4 miles @ 9:45 avg...
    what kind of stuff did you do?
    i always thought about joining a club... but then i remember that i really fucking hate running with other people

how often do you meet up for running workouts?
    Quote:

Would feel so shitty if I went to a running store just to try something out with no intention to purchase
    . Dick's doesn't seem to have them in stock locally.
    i think that's a great idea

been wearing my new asics lately, feels good. i loved my brooks but i think right now i need to go back to a shoe that has more support/cushioning
    Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #2278
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    Have to do a 10 miler on Sunday...starting at 10 am...when its supposed to be about 95 degrees.

Here's the elevation profile (the green one):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x3nt-ihnPM...eries+2013.png

Going to be painful as shit, I will be impressed with myself if I can do it in 1:40.
    wow
    why do they start so late? every half> should start at 8, every marathon at 7
    good luck
    Old 08-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #2279
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

My Tour Central Stats

does anyone know of some good running shoes that are good for shin splint support? I need help
    Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #2280
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I have been wearing the same style and make of shoe forever, so I use Amazon or Zappos to get my shoes.Have never had a problem (knocks on wood). I wear a 2EE width so finding them at a local run shop is damn near impossible.