Time Bomb - Tell Me This Doesn't Sound Better - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #31
Beebz
Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Time Bomb - Tell Me This Doesn't Sound Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJM005 View Post
this is an absolute joke. You and Me is by far the worst song.
Time Bomb has nothing--nothing--going for it. Its too slow, too short, and too wanna-be rock.

You and Me, when its all said and done, will be the song that keeps this album on the charts for a long time. Its not a bad song, its just a pop song.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #32
    Milenk
    Condor Calamity

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

No one would believe it except the fucking nutjobs.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #33
    Kevinbstbll9

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

The finished Time Bomb is my second favorite song on the new album to You & Me (run away!!!! ). That clip might be cool but it's also just that, a clip. This is like when that Stand Up #4 video came out, people obsess and try to find a clip they like more than the album (which was easy with Stand Up , not so much with Big Whiskey).

So no, that little clip doesn't sound better than the finished Time Bomb, and Time Bomb live (along with Lying In The Hands Of God, Jimi Thing, #41 and Crush) is among the BEST performances I've seen this summer.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #34
    crawfish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post
    Time Bomb has nothing--nothing--going for it. Its too slow, too short, and too wanna-be rock.

You and Me, when its all said and done, will be the song that keeps this album on the charts for a long time. Its not a bad song, its just a pop song.

Are you kidding me?? It's a decent song, I actually like it. However it's one of the weaker songs on BW. "you and me together, we could do anything, baby, you and me together, YES! YES!"

Sorry but this song is not going to be the one that keeps BW on the charts. I'm really not one that's all hung up on lyrics but this song is kind of chessey.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #35
    crawfish

My Tour Central Stats

Time Bomb is just fine how it is. I didn't like the ending at first, now I can't get enough of it. For the haters of this song just give it some time. It will grow on you.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #36
    Kevinbstbll9

My Tour Central Stats

Funny The Way It Is and Why I Am keep Big Whiskey on the charts. FACT. Why? They are fucking great songs! And they both appeal to a lot of people.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #37
    crawfish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevinbstbll9 View Post
    Funny The Way It Is and Why I Am keep Big Whiskey on the charts. FACT. Why? They are fucking great songs! And they both appeal to a lot of people.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #38
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Neither of those songs can remotely be considered great. Ants is great. Two Step is great. The Stone is great. These two songs couldn't clean the classics' diapers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    [/b]

Are you kidding me?? It's a decent song, I actually like it. However it's one of the weaker songs on BW. "you and me together, we could do anything, baby, you and me together, YES! YES!"

Sorry but this song is not going to be the one that keeps BW on the charts. I'm really not one that's all hung up on lyrics but this song is kind of chessey.
    Why I Am will get no radio traction. You and Me has cross-genre appeal and will dominate top-40 and pop stations when RCA starts pushing it as the single.

You guys have to be kidding me if you think Why I Am is going to be the breakout hit. The myopia around here is amazing. You think the average music fan dissects lyrics like the people on these boards? Hell no--they want a catchy, easy tune. You and Me is perfect.

In case you're curious, You and Me is already in the top 100 iTunes downloads. Why I Am is nowhere to be found.

Last edited by Beebz; 06-09-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #39
    Kevinbstbll9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Neither of those songs can remotely be considered great. Ants is great. Two Step is great. The Stone is great. These two songs couldn't clean the classics' diapers.

Why I Am will get no radio traction. You and Me has cross-genre appeal and will dominate top-40 and pop stations when RCA starts pushing it as the single.

You guys have to be kidding me if you think Why I Am is going to be the breakout hit. The myopia around here is amazing. You think the average music fan dissects lyrics like the people on these boards? Hell no--they want a catchy, easy tune. You and Me is perfect.

In case you're curious, You and Me is already in the top 100 iTunes downloads. Why I Am is nowhere to be found.
    The only problem with saying that Why I Am doesn't touch Ants Marching and therefore can't be considered great is that Ants Marching doesn't appear to be listed on Big Whiskey. So therefore I believe that Why I Am is a great song. You are apart of the breed that thinks that every next album needs to reach the Ants Marching or Two Step status and guess what? It won't! Those songs and others define this band we love, it will take a long time for a song to reach that status if it ever does. And obviously You & Me would get more attention if RCA pushes it as the new single? I never said it'd be a breakout hit, I said that it will keep BWGK on the charts. Now, a single song cannot hold a cd on the charts for a long period of time usually. Obviously there are exceptions but you claim You & Me isn't even that good so how can it hold the album on the charts alone going up against the other releases? Why I Am and Funny The Way It Is are both great songs and will help keep Big Whiskey on the charts.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #40
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The only problem with saying that Why I Am doesn't touch Ants Marching and therefore can't be considered great is that Ants Marching doesn't appear to be listed on Big Whiskey. So therefore I believe that Why I Am is a great song. You are apart of the breed that thinks that every next album needs to reach the Ants Marching or Two Step status and guess what? It won't! Those songs and others define this band we love, it will take a long time for a song to reach that status if it ever does. And obviously You & Me would get more attention if RCA pushes it as the new single? I never said it'd be a breakout hit, I said that it will keep BWGK on the charts. Now, a single song cannot hold a cd on the charts for a long period of time usually. Obviously there are exceptions but you claim You & Me isn't even that good so how can it hold the album on the charts alone going up against the other releases? Why I Am and Funny The Way It Is are both great songs and will help keep Big Whiskey on the charts.
    Hyperbole irritates me. You said Funny and Why I Am are great songs. They're not. You cant say something is great but then complain when comparisons are made between songs that are truly great, like Ants, and average songs like Why I Am.

I'm talking strictly about what will get Big Whiskey the most mainstream attention, and thus, more sales. The answer, without question, is You and Me. Songs dont have to be "good" to be popular and drive album sales. If you need an example, ask Soldja Boy. That assclown made a career off of one horrible song.

Besides, You and Me is an excellent adult-contemparary tune. It may not be a favorite for DMB fans, but its sure gonna resonate with the mainstream crowd.
    Old 06-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #41
    Kevinbstbll9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hyperbole irritates me. You said Funny and Why I Am are great songs. They're not. You cant say something is great but then complain when comparisons are made between songs that are truly great, like Ants, and average songs like Why I Am.

I'm talking strictly about what will get Big Whiskey the most mainstream attention, and thus, more sales. The answer, without question, is You and Me. Songs dont have to be "good" to be popular and drive album sales. If you need an example, ask Soldja Boy. That assclown made a career off of one horrible song.

Besides, You and Me is an excellent adult-contemparary tune. It may not be a favorite for DMB fans, but its sure gonna resonate with the mainstream crowd.
    Ok I agree with you and I can't disagree further because You & Me is number 1 on my top 5 for Big Whiskey .

I hate that damn Soulja Boy song .

Peace?

(But that clip still isn't better than the finished Time Bomb .)
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #42
    crawfish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I guess you're right. I still think that's crazy. Why I Am IMO is one of best songs on this record.
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #43
    EhHeePig

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bothedmbfan View Post
    You're comparing a small sound clip to a finished song, that is amazing.
    Ok, we're obviously talking about what Time Bomb COULD HAVE been. Do you honestly thing that we all think this muffled 20 second clip sounds better than a full length mastered song? I'm always surprised at how illogical people can be on this board sometimes.

We're saying that Time Bomb was supposed to have this section in it. Imagine if this part was added on after the whole screaming section. I just don't see how they could have had this part recorded and said "no, let's take that part out". Again, I "like" Time Bomb, but it could have been SO SO much more.