Calling all Recovering/Sober DMB fans - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
figjr24

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Calling all Recovering/Sober DMB fans

Just wanted to give a quick update. Starting the second leg of the tour I will have a yellow balloon with me and we will be holding a meeting in between the opening act and D.M.B. The first meeting will be held at the Alpine shows and I will continue to update for other shows. If anyone knows of any other Sober D.M.B. fans please ask them to join this group so we can get the info out there to as many people as possible. Hope all is well!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TrueReflections/
figjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
    maxmini81
    Left my heart@the Gorge

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Calling all Recovering/Sober DMB fans

Dude that's fucking Rock-tacular! I'll have 3 yrs. on July 13th, and I wondered if there was anyone else in recovery on these forums. Rock on! Will you be at Tinley Park?
    6/11/99, 9/18/00, 8/27/02, 7/10/03, 6/16/04, 5/31/05, 5/30/06, 6/7/08, 6/17/09, 9/26/09, FARM AID 10/4/09, 6/16/10, 7/3/10, 7/4/10, 9/17/10 & 9/18/10 Wrigley Field, The Gorge Labor Day Weekend 2011
    maxmini81 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
    jps4277

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by figjr24 View Post
    Just wanted to give a quick update. Starting the second leg of the tour I will have a yellow balloon with me and we will be holding a meeting in between the opening act and D.M.B. The first meeting will be held at the Alpine shows and I will continue to update for other shows. If anyone knows of any other Sober D.M.B. fans please ask them to join this group so we can get the info out there to as many people as possible. Hope all is well!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TrueReflections/
    I'm not a recovering or anywhere close to a sober DMB fan but I have to give you a big for this.
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
    figjr24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmini81 View Post
    Dude that's fucking Rock-tacular! I'll have 3 yrs. on July 13th, and I wondered if there was anyone else in recovery on these forums. Rock on! Will you be at Tinley Park?
    I'm not sure If I am going to make Tinley yet are you planning on hitting any other shows?
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
    maxmini81
    Left my heart@the Gorge

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by figjr24 View Post
    I'm not sure If I am going to make Tinley yet are you planning on hitting any other shows?
    I usually only make it to one a year, with a few exceptions. So getting to Tinley and my usual STL show is already a stretch. In short, no. BUT, if you get info of anyone going to Tinley that's in recovery and you can't make it, I'll hold the meeting. I'm used to AA format, and chair a meeting here in St. Louis, so you'd just have to gimme a little insight into True Reflections and its format. Awesome idea
    6/11/99, 9/18/00, 8/27/02, 7/10/03, 6/16/04, 5/31/05, 5/30/06, 6/7/08, 6/17/09, 9/26/09, FARM AID 10/4/09, 6/16/10, 7/3/10, 7/4/10, 9/17/10 & 9/18/10 Wrigley Field, The Gorge Labor Day Weekend 2011
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
    figjr24

My Tour Central Stats

Sure no problem. Check out the Yahoo Group..and I also started a group on facebook under True Reflections. Still in the begining stages I am in the middle of writing an email to a contact at Green Light to see if we can get a table set up at shows.
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
    maxmini81
    Left my heart@the Gorge

My Tour Central Stats

Alright, well let me know what I can do. Whatever. Recovery saved my life and no matter what the program, the best thing to do is help the next guy. So if there's any way I can help, I'd love to.
    Old 06-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
    armyants1027

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jps4277 View Post
    I'm not a recovering or anywhere close to a sober DMB fan but I have to give you a big for this.
    i second this
    armyants1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
    maxmini81
    Left my heart@the Gorge

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by armyants1027 View Post
    i second this
    Not hear to preach. Not here to judge. I didn't develop a drug/alcohol addiction because I didn't like them, and even now I cannot sit here and say that it was all bad. I had great times. I also had horrible times. And in the end, there were very few great times. All I knew was how to get fucked up, and my life was about nothing greater than the next drink, next drug, next party... Compounded by a felony possession arrest and two DUIs, it was hard to deny that things had gone bad. I went to many Dave shows BLASTED. I've been to two sober. With almost 3 years clean now, I can say three things for sure...

1) We all have a love for Dave and good music in general in common, and no matter what we choose to do, we aren't that different

2) I would do anything to maintain my sobriety because for me, it is the only reason I'm still alive. And I mean it, I've come face to face with death.

3) I will do anything to help the next guy get what I have, if, and only if, they want it. And if the next guy and I share a common bond, through DMB or whatever, I'll do what I can to use that common ground as a basis from which to help them.

In a setting such as this, being in recovery can be alienating, and many assume I want to push my ideology on them. The truth is, if I could smoke a bowl with you all and then go about my life, I would in a second. But I can't, and if you are the same way, I, and I assume the OP, are here to, and willing to help.
    Old 06-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
    armyants1027

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmini81 View Post
    Not hear to preach. Not here to judge. I didn't develop a drug/alcohol addiction because I didn't like them, and even now I cannot sit here and say that it was all bad. I had great times. I also had horrible times. And in the end, there were very few great times. All I knew was how to get fucked up, and my life was about nothing greater than the next drink, next drug, next party... Compounded by a felony possession arrest and two DUIs, it was hard to deny that things had gone bad. I went to many Dave shows BLASTED. I've been to two sober. With almost 3 years clean now, I can say three things for sure...

1) We all have a love for Dave and good music in general in common, and no matter what we choose to do, we aren't that different

2) I would do anything to maintain my sobriety because for me, it is the only reason I'm still alive. And I mean it, I've come face to face with death.

3) I will do anything to help the next guy get what I have, if, and only if, they want it. And if the next guy and I share a common bond, through DMB or whatever, I'll do what I can to use that common ground as a basis from which to help them.

In a setting such as this, being in recovery can be alienating, and many assume I want to push my ideology on them. The truth is, if I could smoke a bowl with you all and then go about my life, I would in a second. But I can't, and if you are the same way, I, and I assume the OP, are here to, and willing to help.
    good for you guys. that's fantastic. and congrats on going almost 3 years!

if there's anyone out there that wants help, please contact these guys.
    armyants1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2023, 09:17 PM   #11
    jsedit

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I see this thread is pretty old, however, I’m also in recovery (newly) and have a history of going to Dave shows lit up. I certainly don’t want to give up shows and would love to connect with any of you in recovery who are also Dave fans!

Josh
    jsedit is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2023, 11:56 AM   #12
    Mountains#41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsedit View Post
    I see this thread is pretty old, however, I’m also in recovery (newly) and have a history of going to Dave shows lit up. I certainly don’t want to give up shows and would love to connect with any of you in recovery who are also Dave fans!

Josh
    I am not in recovery. I go to plenty of shows sober though, and can tell you the experience is much different/better.

Keep up the work. You'll find people that won't to go to shows sober with you.
    Mountains#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2024, 08:55 AM   #13
    Rapunzel401

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsedit View Post

Josh
    When you go to a show put out a post somewhere asking if there are other "friends of Bill" attending and you can meet up. The Dead always had the Wharf Rats at the shows for 12 step support.
    Keep living life one day at a time!
    Rapunzel401 is offline   Reply With Quote