Governor of New York: Why We Need An Obesity Tax - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
sunshower
wanderlust

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Governor of New York: Why We Need An Obesity Tax

From a letter written by David Paterson, governor of New York, to CNN:

Like many New Yorkers, I remember a time when nearly everyone smoked. In 1950, Collier's reported that more than three-quarters of adult men smoked. This epidemic had a devastating and long-lasting impact on public health.

Today, we find ourselves in the midst of a new public health epidemic: childhood obesity.

What smoking was to my parents' generation, obesity is to my children's generation. Nearly one out of every four New Yorkers under the age of 18 is obese. In many high-poverty areas, the rate is closer to one out of three.

That is why, in the state budget I presented last Tuesday, I proposed a tax on sugared beverages like soda. Research has demonstrated that soft-drink consumption is one of the main drivers of childhood obesity.

The article continues here if you would like to read the rest: http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/12/18...ity/index.html

The proposed 18% tax would apply to sugared drinks including fruit drinks that are less than 70 percent juice that are nondiet. If you get a regular Coke, you pay tax. If you get a Diet Coke, you do not.

While I'm very much in favour of educating people on nutritional information, nutrients and health issues, I'm not sure how I feel about a tax like this. Part of me thinks it's silly, the other part thinks it could be helpful.

What do you think? Obesity tax: yay or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
Meatball is an asshole by association.
sunshower is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
    crashintome202

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Governor of New York: Why We Need An Obesity Tax

this is one of the most retarded tax ideas i've ever heard.
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

No, a veiled attempt by a Government Official to increase revenue streams. Like you said, educate, don't punish.

I don't regularly drink pop either.

Last edited by scrock25; 01-07-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
    thebestauntie
    My love

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

While I agree educating people and trying to encourage folks to be healthier is a great idea, taxing things like sugary/fatty foods and drink is not the way to go about it. Higher taxes on things that are 'bad' for you has not proven to be a deterrent in any way (i.e. cigarettes).

Taxing the bad foods/drinks won't help with obesity, just like it hasn't helped with cigarette smoking. They may as well just call it the stupidity tax and leave it at that and forget about trying to call it something else.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Best team. Best city.
    thebestauntie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
    enigma1434
    Hail

Shows Seen: 103

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    No, a veiled attempt by a Government Official to increase revenue streams.

I don't regularly drink pop either.
    It would increase revenue streams, for sure.

I actually would be ok with something like this. If it increases revenue streams which would otherwise be increased by jacking up property taxes, overall sales taxes, or state/local income taxes, that's just fine with me.

Plus, if it gives incentive to people to cut back on something that is one (of the many) causes of obesity, more power to it.
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
    sunshower
    wanderlust

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebestauntie View Post
    While I agree educating people and trying to encourage folks to be healthier is a great idea, taxing things like sugary/fatty foods and drink is not the way to go about it. Higher taxes on things that are 'bad' for you has not proven to be a deterrent in any way (i.e. cigarettes).

Taxing the bad foods/drinks won't help with obesity, just like it hasn't helped with cigarette smoking. They may as well just call it the stupidity tax and leave it at that and forget about trying to call it something else.
    Actually, if you read the article, they claim that the taxes put on cigarettes are the reason fewer people smoke. I'm pretty sure only a small handful of people stopped smoking because of the price hike. Most people I know who quit smoking rarely list, "I was sick of paying smokers tax" as one of their reasons. It's usually health related. At the same token, though, most people likely wouldn't admit the added expense of sugary drinks made them stop drinking them and switch to diet. They would likely list a health reason. I don't know.

Anyway, I agree with you, LA. It's an interesting concept and all but it just seems bizarre. However, the article states that all the money collected via the tax will be used for health education programs which really wouldn't be so bad. Whether or not that's actually true is debatable.

Quote:
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
    enigma1434
    Hail

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I don't have any statistics, but hasn't it been at least argued that the various cigarette taxes have caused some cut back? I guess it would obviously be looked at locality-by-locality and it would depend on the severity of the tax.
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
    crashintome202

My Tour Central Stats

the most unhealthy food is typically the cheapest. therefore if you're going to increase the price your just killing the lower class even more. i thought the dems wanted to help them out?
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
    TrippingBrando
    Beeeeeee... gooood.

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by enigma1434 View Post
    It would increase revenue streams, for sure.

I actually would be ok with something like this. If it increases revenue streams which would otherwise be increased by jacking up property taxes, overall sales taxes, or state/local income taxes, that's just fine with me.

Plus, if it gives incentive to people to cut back on something that is one (of the many) causes of obesity, more power to it.
    This is a good point. Taxes are inevitable, especially with the current economy. I'd feel better about implementing more "sin" taxes on things proven to be detrimental than to do further raise taxes on benevolent homeowners.

Of course it raises the question on where does it end and why should government dictate what is bad enough to warrant being taxed. I, however, still don't feel these arguments outweigh the benefits of more tax revenue and potentially a more healthy citizenry, which in turn could lower healthcare costs.

And, I'm pretty certain cigarette taxes has led to at least negligible cutbacks on smoking.
    TrippingBrando is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
    tarheel997
    that guy

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

yeah now we can all get cancer from aspartame

such a horrible idea
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
    sunshower
    wanderlust

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintome202 View Post
    the most unhealthy food is typically the cheapest. therefore if you're going to increase the price your just killing the lower class even more. i thought the dems wanted to help them out?
    I would assume Diet Coke would stay at it's current price and regular Coke would increase. The lower class will not have to spend anything extra to choose diet over regular.

Quote:
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
    thebestauntie
    My love

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    Actually, if you read the article, they claim that the taxes put on cigarettes are the reason fewer people smoke. I'm pretty sure only a small handful of people stopped smoking because of the price hike. Most people I know who quit smoking rarely list, "I was sick of paying smokers tax" as one of their reasons. It's usually health related.

I agree with you, LA. It's an interesting concept and all but it just seems bizarre. However, the article states that all the money collected via the tax will be used for health education programs which really wouldn't be so bad. Whether or not that's actually true is debatable.
    I have never heard one single person quit smoking because of the price of cigarettes, they can "claim" that all they want.

Government also always says the tax money collected from these taxes will go towards education or something like that, but I'm always skeptical about that.

Quote:
    Best team. Best city.
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingBrando View Post
    This is a good point. Taxes are inevitable, especially with the current economy. I'd feel better about implementing more "sin" taxes on things proven to be detrimental than to do further raise taxes on benevolent homeowners.

Of course it raises the question on where does it end and why should government dictate what is bad enough to warrant being taxed. I, however, still don't feel these arguments outweigh the benefits of more tax revenue and potentially a more healthy citizenry, which in turn could lower healthcare costs.

And, I'm pretty certain cigarette taxes has led to at least negligible cutbacks on smoking.
    I quit because I finally came to the realization that continuing to smoke cigarettes would eventually kill me. When I was addicted, I couldn't have cared any less how much I had to pay for 20 more.
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would assume Diet Coke would stay at it's current price and regular Coke would increase. The lower class will not have to spend anything extra to choose diet over regular.
    Oh, but the sacrifice in taste would be enormous!!!
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
    thebestauntie
    My love

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't really understand that part, it's not like diet soda is all that much better for you than regular soda.

Quote:
    Best team. Best city.
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #16
    crashintome202

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarheel997 View Post
    yeah now we can all get cancer from aspartame

such a horrible idea
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #17
    TrippingBrando
    Beeeeeee... gooood.

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I quit because I finally came to the realization that continuing to smoke cigarettes would eventually kill me. When I was addicted, I couldn't have cared any less how much I had to pay for 20 more.
    Definitely. I'm sure you understood that I said "negligible" and "cutbacks." I figured that a small percentage of smokers perhaps cut back the amount of cigarettes they smoked due to price hikes.
    TrippingBrando is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Definitely. I'm sure you understood that I said "negligible" and "cutbacks." I figured that a small percentage of smokers perhaps cut back the amount of cigarettes they smoked due to price hikes.
    Small, agreed.
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #19
    jenben41
    A.K.A The Plant

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintome202 View Post
    I sort of agree with that. There's the idea out there that the worst foods are often the cheapest (I tend to disagree- just because it's accessable and not expensive doesn't mean there aren't cheaper options), therefor the lower class has the highest rate of obesity due to the availability of crap food.

I do think this is akin to the smoking tax- it raised awareness and let the government say, "Look! We care! We're doing something!" but I don't think it will singularly cut obesity rates. Education will, though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    jenben41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #20
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenben41 View Post
    I sort of agree with that. There's the idea out there that the worst foods are often the cheapest (I tend to disagree- just because it's accessable and not expensive doesn't mean there aren't cheaper options), therefor the lower class has the highest rate of obesity due to the availability of crap food.

I do think this is akin to the smoking tax- it raised awareness and let the government say, "Look! We care! We're doing something!" but I don't think it will singularly cut obesity rates. Education will, though.
    Where will the $$ for this education come from though?????

TAX THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #21
    jenben41
    A.K.A The Plant

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    where will the $$ for this education come from though?????

Tax them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    duh, stupid! (how come you can type big letters?)

You won't price people out of the market by taxing them, though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post

Last edited by jenben41; 01-07-2009 at 07:57 AM.
    jenben41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #22
    enigma1434
    Hail

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, I agree - it does raise that question. And, that's where the argument lies. I fall on the same side you do but no doubt it will stir up a big fight.

Quote:
    I don't really understand that part, it's not like diet soda is all that much better for you than regular soda.
    I agree. I don't think diet soda is any better for you than regular. Sure, it has 0 calories, but the fact of the matter is that you're putting something in your body that isn't water, yet it claims to have 0 calories. There are ingredients in it that make it something other than water and IMO that likely means they aren't good for you. (if that made any sense)

Obviously just my opinion, but I would vote for drinking regular soda in extreme moderation over drinking diet soda frequently. I'd rather know what the ingredients do to me than think it's nothing and find out later that I was wrong.

Quote:
    I agree - the cutbacks would be negligible at best. But hey - negligible cutbacks are better than no cutbacks.

Last edited by enigma1434; 01-07-2009 at 08:03 AM.
    enigma1434 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #23
    TR3Esmoker
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Fuck NY and our blind Governor.
    TR3Esmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #24
    Oh, word?
    your spirit animal

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Where the hell is Cassie when we need her input?

Oh, word? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
    enigma1434
    Hail

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oh, word? View Post

Did you give yourself a good birthday washing down there?
    Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #26
    sunshower
    wanderlust

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    She's

Quote:
    Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #27
    funktabulous

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    She's
    That's what I thought.

And good riddance.
    Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #28
    Oh, word?
    your spirit animal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by enigma1434 View Post

Did you give yourself a good birthday washing down there?
    I did my best, but, you know how it goes.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #29
    Oh, word?
    your spirit animal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    She's
    Oh, I know. It was just a little tongue-in-cheek humor. Hence, the .

Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #30
    enigma1434
    Hail

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I did my best, but, you know how it goes.
    That's too bad. Maybe next year.