what really frustrates me with BWGGK.. - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #31
firedancer1962

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: what really frustrates me with BWGGK..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotpsd View Post

Why can't people just not complain? Just enjoy what they put out, it's great music.

Although I have to agree a little bit. I barely hear Boyd and I miss the sax....
08.21.05, 09.03.06, 08.31.07, 09.02.07, 09.05.08, 09.07.08, 09.04.09, 09.03.10, 12.06,10, 09.02.11, 09.03.11, 09.04.11, 08.31.12, 09.01.12, 09.02.12, 05.17.13, 05.18.13, 08.30.13, 08.31.13, 09.01.13, 09.07.13...
"Stay up and make some memories..."

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #32
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acoustic_soul View Post
    good one. I personally think it's probably a 7 or 8 out of 10. Does that give me the right to complain since I don't think it's a 9/10?
    NO!
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #33
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmband425 View Post
    NO!

The reason I complain is that we all have heard the awesome music this band is capable of. I complain when I feel they aren't living up to their potential. If this band was plain shitty, I would through aside their record and never listen to it or talk about it. I complain because I actually care about this band haha.
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #34
    solsburyhill
    MM #57

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

i'm tired of hearing about too much tim and too little boyd. big deal. live it works out fine.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #35
    dmaul1114

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

That didn't bother me as the jam songs are very hit or miss for me. I think a lot of it is not being a musician or having any musical talent or knowledge whatsoever, so I tend to get bored with a lot of instrumental stuff or long jams in songs. Some are great (Warehouse, Nancies), others don't do much for me (Lie in Our Graves, Jimi Thing).

So one of the things I like about Big Whiskey is that it's nice and tight, with no songs or parts I skip (other than the instrumental after You and Me).

I also tend to like heavier music (Pearl Jam has been my favorite band since Ten came out), so I dig the extra electric guitar work on the album as well.
    Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #36
    inmytree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
    That didn't bother me as the jam songs are very hit or miss for me. I think a lot of it is not being a musician or having any musical talent or knowledge whatsoever, so I tend to get bored with a lot of instrumental stuff or long jams in songs. Some are great (Warehouse, Nancies), others don't do much for me (Lie in Our Graves, Jimi Thing).

So one of the things I like about Big Whiskey is that it's nice and tight, with no songs or parts I skip (other than the instrumental after You and Me).

I also tend to like heavier music (Pearl Jam has been my favorite band since Ten came out), so I dig the extra electric guitar work on the album as well.
    I'd actually agree with most of this. I love the musical interplay that the band has, but I'd say that their strength has always been with songs rather than solos. Not to say that their solos were bad, but it was the songs and how they were arranged that kept me coming back. I think that's why the lack of long solos on this album don't really bother me that much. I don't think DMB does, or has ever needed, long solos to make a great song.

I also am surprised by the amount of criticism regarding electric guitar in the band. I understand the criticism of "too much electric guitar"; I disagree, but I think that's simply a question of taste. But some people seem to think that having a prominent electric guitar player in the band at all is somehow against what DMB stands for; like since they were all acoustic instruments (even though that was never really true), it is somehow betraying their sound or going against their code to have an electric guitar have as much impact on a song as Boyd or Roi for example. That whole part of it never made much sense to me; why shouldn't there be an electric guitar in DMB? Why not piano, or was Butch as intruding on the signature DMB sound as Tim is now?
    Old 06-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #37
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
    I'd actually agree with most of this. I love the musical interplay that the band has, but I'd say that their strength has always been with songs rather than solos. Not to say that their solos were bad, but it was the songs and how they were arranged that kept me coming back. I think that's why the lack of long solos on this album don't really bother me that much. I don't think DMB does, or has ever needed, long solos to make a great song.

I also am surprised by the amount of criticism regarding electric guitar in the band. I understand the criticism of "too much electric guitar"; I disagree, but I think that's simply a question of taste. But some people seem to think that having a prominent electric guitar player in the band at all is somehow against what DMB stands for; like since they were all acoustic instruments (even though that was never really true), it is somehow betraying their sound or going against their code to have an electric guitar have as much impact on a song as Boyd or Roi for example. That whole part of it never made much sense to me; why shouldn't there be an electric guitar in DMB? Why not piano, or was Butch as intruding on the signature DMB sound as Tim is now?

It is ironic that I don't care for the electric guitar because I am currently the guitarist in 2 different bands right now. I don't mind electric guitar, the only time I mind it is when it is at the expense of another instrument, in this case, with Boyd.

Listen to LT1 and notice how good Tim sounded with the band and how he wasn't overpowering. Then listen to LT15. It's totally different, and worse IMO.
    Old 06-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #38
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

i agree for the most part
    Old 06-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #39
    inmytree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It is ironic that I don't care for the electric guitar because I am currently the guitarist in 2 different bands right now. I don't mind electric guitar, the only time I mind it is when it is at the expense of another instrument, in this case, with Boyd.

Listen to LT1 and notice how good Tim sounded with the band and how he wasn't overpowering. Then listen to LT15. It's totally different, and worse IMO.
    Well, as I said, that's just going to be differing opinions and taste. I do think the electric guitar has taken up space that may have otherwise been filled by Boyd, because I don't think it has led to a drop in the quality of the music or live shows. I don't really think of Tim hogging the spotlight, because for all intents and purposes I feel he is part of the band. It's his spotlight to fill as much as any other person on the stage, and if Boyd doesn't step up to the plate, it's on him to find a way to contribute. Funny that you mention LT1; a huge criticism of Tim on the 98 tour was always how 'overbearing' he was.I think back then, he had solos whereas now he has integrated himself as an equal partner in constructing the song live. I love electric guitars, so I have no problem with that. The issue I always had were with the people who thought that it was somehow "un-DMB-like" to have an electric guitar in the band. Makes no sense to me.
    Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #40
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    agreed. Anyway, I hope their next album is comprised of unreleased live songs. They have been road tested and we know they are good. It would be the same kind of thing as Crash and UTTAD.
    But they barely have any album quality songs that were road tested. Most of them suck.

Shotgun

That's it.
    Old 06-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #41
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yea see I thought Tim was clearly overpowering in 1998, either that or just out there and out of context within this band with the stuff he was doing.

Bottom line to me is....the songs are good. Were there some things I'd change...sure. The intro to time bomb would be extended, come back at some point in the song, or be the basis of a whole other song. Would I have had horns on spaceman...yes. Would I have tried to get Dave to write a different chorus to You and Me...yes. But bottom line is, regardless of instrumental contributions the songs are multi sectioned and dynamic and simply just a very good collection of songs.

Last edited by jaymas9; 06-07-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Old 06-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #42
    slmiller1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    Dave only plays Martin guitars on D+T or Dave solo tours. He has always played Taylor guitars with the band. At least this decade anyway
    you're right-good point
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #43
    inmytree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    But they barely have any album quality songs that were road tested. Most of them suck.

Shotgun

That's it.
    Agreed. I think the idea that for the songs to be good they have to be road-tested is untrue. I think the band just needs to be in the space to make a good album. BTCS was not roadtested, and if they'd put out their roadtested songs from 06-08 on this album instead of these songs it would have been weaker.
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #44
    magicrat405

My Tour Central Stats

When you hear a loud electric on the album, it's generally Dave, and now it looks like the two biggest guitar solos are also there courtesy of Dave. Tim is generally fairly low in the mix (compare his riffs on Why I Am to the live levels), and I don't think his addition came at the expense of anybody else. And for god's sake, stop using the word overbearing to describe Tim. Even if it was a proper adjective to use, which it's not, going by what people seem to mean by it, it's still included in every single criticism of Tim ever written and has lost all meaning in the process.
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #45
    inmytree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicrat405 View Post
    And for god's sake, stop using the word overbearing to describe Tim. Even if it was a proper adjective to use, which it's not, going by what people seem to mean by it, it's still included in every single criticism of Tim ever written and has lost all meaning in the process.
    I kind of feel that way about the word 'cheesy' right now. I think every moment on Big Whiskey, in some way or another, has been defined by that word, and it makes no sense to me.
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #46
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

I don't understand why people are upset over the lack of Boyd? I mean is Boyd really that good? He's not good at all, IMO...I'd rather hear more from the more talented players in DMB.
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #47
    Plastikfear
    Open Up Your Head

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    I don't understand why people are upset over the lack of Boyd? I mean is Boyd really that good? He's not good at all, IMO...I'd rather hear more from the more talented players in DMB.
    I hope you're joking. If you're not, I find your signature quite ironic.
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #48
    inmytree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plastikfear View Post
    To be fair, it's ironic (not wrong, just ironic a bit) that the lack of Boyd is a big deal right now, considering how badly he's been criticized by the fanbase (alot of which, in my opinion, was justified) in the past.
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #49
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plastikfear View Post
    What? I don't find Boyd particularly talented when compared to the other members of DMB, or other great musicians in other bands.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #50
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicrat405 View Post
    When you hear a loud electric on the album, it's generally Dave, and now it looks like the two biggest guitar solos are also there courtesy of Dave. Tim is generally fairly low in the mix (compare his riffs on Why I Am to the live levels), and I don't think his addition came at the expense of anybody else. And for god's sake, stop using the word overbearing to describe Tim. Even if it was a proper adjective to use, which it's not, going by what people seem to mean by it, it's still included in every single criticism of Tim ever written and has lost all meaning in the process.
    Well in my defense I used it to describe 98 Tim. And maybe overbearing shouldn't be the word. Out of context of the band in 98 at many times would be better.

And unrelated to this....it is becoming clear that a lot of this electric work where it seems really heavy has well...a lot of Dave. You saw in the fuse doc that he wrote Shake Me's verse and chorus riff, as he is playing them on the acoustic. Obviously those riffs were transposed over to the electric on the album cut. Maybe he won't play them live who knows, point being it is Dave Matthews' work. Which leaves Tim with fills....just like he used to do all the time. The whole electric=Tim=overbearing argument on this board needs a bit more research done it seems.

Last edited by jaymas9; 06-07-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #51
    MattsTheStone

My Tour Central Stats

What frustrates me? The lack of creativity both musically and lyrically. Everyone involved in Big Whiskey is so fucking talented its insane, and what they all came together and created is very one dimensional in my opinion.

Do I like the album? sure. Is it even close to as good as the big three or even Busted Stuff for that matter? No.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #52
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattsTheStone View Post
    What frustrates me? The lack of creativity both musically and lyrically. Everyone involved in Big Whiskey is so fucking talented its insane, and what they all came together and created is very one dimensional in my opinion.

Do I like the album? sure. Is it even close to as good as the big three or even Busted Stuff for that matter? No.
    You know what proves your point really well here. The fact you remained as vague as possible.
    Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #53
    EhHeePig

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    Dave only plays Martin guitars on D+T or Dave solo tours. He has always played Taylor guitars with the band. At least this decade anyway
    He used Martin guitars to record songs on the past 3 albums actually. This one seems to be all Taylors though.
    Old 06-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #54
    zanthony

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

me too
    Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #55
    zanthony

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I think that the DMB has change genres. They no longer write the kind of music for there first three albums. It's just different. However, I am happy with BW, it's much much much better (I think) than Stand UP and I am happy they wrote a bunch of songs that were easy and fun to listen too. I think all of these songs will be better live than on the album. I think they have a tendency to Over-produce there music on albums.
    Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #56
    Elliott Evans
    Custom User Title

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's almost as if the "sound" of the band has changed a bit.
    No, really?
    Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #57
    made2heal

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dotpsd View Post

Why can't people just not complain? Just enjoy what they put out, it's great music.
    This thread isn't complaining, it's merely thought provoking. A lot of fans are feeling the same way about the electric guitar taking place of the violin in this album. Even though I'm starting to like this album more, I am feeling like they are slowly have Tim take over Boyds spot in the line up. That would be really shitty. I agree with MLewis, the studio jams were structured like they weren't even really jams, but perfect arrangements of music to go with the way dave matthews band sounds. Nancies is a great example of that. The beginning of Say Goodbye, sooo good! Say what you want to say people, it's the truth.
    Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #58
    made2heal

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Are you sure you've ever listened to the band at all. Boyd is amazing, I've seen him live jammin on some LIOG, and danm that man can play the fiddle better than anyone I've ever seen, and it matches the band so well. I'm hoping that this album was suppose to have more horns to bring out LeRoi bigger on this album. They will hopefully give Boyd some better tracks on the next album.
    Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #59
    Parker
    Return of the Ross

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    There ain't nothing mediocre about the studio jams of Nancies, 41, Crush, LIOG. Those tracks wouldn't be half as good without them.

In other words, I respectfully disagree. I like my DMB studio albums chock full of violin and sax jams.
    nail on the head...everyone in the band had awesome levels and the dynamics of the jams were always tasteful.
    Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #60
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Does this really frustrate you?