DMB @ Woodstock '99 - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #31
cry_minarets458
MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB @ Woodstock '99

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
I was there and I have a mixed bag of memories of both the weekend and DMB's set.
First the weekend: it was hot as fuck. The place was not the right venue for this style of event. Food and beverage were overpriced as FUCK! Funny story: this weekend is when I started drinking beer. I was 19 and I used to hate the flavor, but the beer that the people I was with brought was far more economical than water. The overflowing portable toilets looked like something from a post apocalyptic world. The line-up was sort of all over the place and looking back, the aggressive bands of the day (who I liked) made an event of super high testosterone which is what lead to the fires on Sunday. I think the poor conditions, dehydration and make up of the crowd made it inevitable.
Not to mention that I wore a pair of shoes that were a size too small and broke up with my girlfriend (who I went with) on the ride up from Jersey (talk about uncomfortable).
But Korn was a sight to see. The crowd flowed up and down as they played and it really looked like the ocean from my vantage point. Really cool shit.
But there were some really great performances that weekend: the best in my opinion being: DMB, RATM, Bush (believe it or not), Metalica, Willie, Everlast and even Creed. I didn't make it to the other stage much so I don't remember the smaller bands all too well.

On to the band: Simply amazing. I had been a fan of the band for a few years, but my uber fandom was a year or two old. I had been to some shows and owned some bootlegs, and they were the reason why I went (with Rage being a close second). Their ability to make their sound fill such a large area was far superior than the other bands. The sounds that came from Offspring was not music, plain and simple, and that was a problem all weekend even with milder acts like Alanis.
I went with 4 people and none were fans of the band. Yes the (recently ex) gf heard a lot of it around me and loved the poetry in songs like Nancies and Two Step, but was not a fan. But after the show they all respected them. I remember some dude that we went with was blown away by Roi playing multiple instruments on #41 and Carter on basically everything. And for the most part I think the majority of the crowd was that way. The majority of people there were there for hard rock but it was pretty hard not to leave impressed as fuck by the band on songs like Two Step and DDTW. Everyone had the band that they were there for and I was proud knowing that my band's live show kicked their band's asses,
Dave's nervous energy was on full display this night (Evidenced by the Johnson and titties comments). I think there's something very endearing about that. They were huge in '99 and he still acted like a child on the first day of school.
The weekend on a whole was a shit show. An overpriced, hot as fuck, blistered feet shit show. But there were great memories and moments of brilliance, none more than DMB's show.
this post is what I was looking for. thanks for sharing
*renounces DMB fandom*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister
In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #32
    cooke726

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Theres an abundance of .....Titties
    cooke726 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #33
    bigeyedfish1979
    And in this moment.....

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I was there it was awesome.
    bigeyedfish1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #34
    krisjay

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    I was there and I have a mixed bag of memories of both the weekend and DMB's set.
    First the weekend: it was hot as fuck. The place was not the right venue for this style of event. Food and beverage were overpriced as FUCK! Funny story: this weekend is when I started drinking beer. I was 19 and I used to hate the flavor, but the beer that the people I was with brought was far more economical than water. The overflowing portable toilets looked like something from a post apocalyptic world. The line-up was sort of all over the place and looking back, the aggressive bands of the day (who I liked) made an event of super high testosterone which is what lead to the fires on Sunday. I think the poor conditions, dehydration and make up of the crowd made it inevitable.
    Not to mention that I wore a pair of shoes that were a size too small and broke up with my girlfriend (who I went with) on the ride up from Jersey (talk about uncomfortable).
    But Korn was a sight to see. The crowd flowed up and down as they played and it really looked like the ocean from my vantage point. Really cool shit.
    But there were some really great performances that weekend: the best in my opinion being: DMB, RATM, Bush (believe it or not), Metalica, Willie, Everlast and even Creed. I didn't make it to the other stage much so I don't remember the smaller bands all too well.

On to the band: Simply amazing. I had been a fan of the band for a few years, but my uber fandom was a year or two old. I had been to some shows and owned some bootlegs, and they were the reason why I went (with Rage being a close second). Their ability to make their sound fill such a large area was far superior than the other bands. The sounds that came from Offspring was not music, plain and simple, and that was a problem all weekend even with milder acts like Alanis.
    I went with 4 people and none were fans of the band. Yes the (recently ex) gf heard a lot of it around me and loved the poetry in songs like Nancies and Two Step, but was not a fan. But after the show they all respected them. I remember some dude that we went with was blown away by Roi playing multiple instruments on #41 and Carter on basically everything. And for the most part I think the majority of the crowd was that way. The majority of people there were there for hard rock but it was pretty hard not to leave impressed as fuck by the band on songs like Two Step and DDTW. Everyone had the band that they were there for and I was proud knowing that my band's live show kicked their band's asses,
    Dave's nervous energy was on full display this night (Evidenced by the Johnson and titties comments). I think there's something very endearing about that. They were huge in '99 and he still acted like a child on the first day of school.
    The weekend on a whole was a shit show. An overpriced, hot as fuck, blistered feet shit show. But there were great memories and moments of brilliance, none more than DMB's show.
    Me and the wife were at the other stage, we wanted to see Dave, but it was to hot to make the march over. We ended up going over right before the Offspring came on. It was a crazy ass weekend. We were there on Thursday night, got to see P Funk with George Clinton in an airplane hangar, might have been the craziest show of the whole event.
    Old 09-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #35
    sjb22
    Woodstock, GA

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

We should pick a show and just totally recreate the scene in the audience for them.
    sjb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #36
    cornnuts

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

since last years warehouse disc sucked so bad, they should release this as a bonus warehouse disc next year!
    cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #37
    hughesman62781

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I just watch this show today as a matter of fact forgot how good it actually was
    hughesman62781 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #38
    RMinor205

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Bump this because, a) I was there and b) DMB was so fucking big back in 99. Sometimes there's an abundance of things, and sometimes there's a lack. That day, there was an abundance of.... titties.
    RMinor205 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #39
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

The start of Roi's solo is some of my favourite instrument-playing ever... Such a good concert
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #40
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hughesman62781 View Post
    I just watch this show today as a matter of fact forgot how good it actually was
    http://youtu.be/5qbcU_i_kZg copyright claimed damnnn
    Haha here it is by the claimed https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=skHt1eIkVRU

Last edited by willndmb; 04-18-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #41
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

*Roi's solo on Watchtower
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #42
    Miccius
    Crater4life

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I was 14 or 15 at the time and on a roadtrip with my grandma going to NYC and wanted to so badly to go to Woodstock and see DMB (like grandma was gonna take me to woodstock, lol). In NYC, we stayed at a friend of my grandma's. I was telling them about DMB and about Woodstock and the guy mentions he works for the cable company and can get the show for me on PPV. I remember tuning in and being so pumped that I got the chance to watch it live (even if I wasn't in person). A couple things that stood out - it was a super hot time of the year, and was evident by how the boys and everyone were sweating - plus I've seen many comments on the heat as well. You watch Boyd come out on stage with his leather pants and all I can think is good god, that dude has got be roasting. Secondly, the shoes being thrown on stage during Ants and Dave dodging them, then ending the show with "Didn't get me, didn't get me!". What a great all around performance of all the songs. I'm glad this thread popped up again!
    Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #43
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

That was such a good time, but it was soo hot, water was so expensive and the bathrooms were essentially lakes surrounding the portolets. That sad thing was the fires were actually started with the peace candles, they were passing out, but then again when you have limp biskit and rage at a peace festival what do you expect. The rusted root set was phenomenal.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #44
    Roi Lives

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Man this takes me back. I turned 16 that summer and desperately wanted to go to this. I had just discovered DMB, the beginning of a strong love for the playing of LeRoi Moore that continues to this day. Of course I didn't go, but I did see them a couple of months later at Farm Aid 99. That was my first show, and also a really solid shortened set from the band. I remember standing on the lawn in Bristow during Ants Marching thinking that maybe I was having some kind of seizure or stroke because I could not conceive of what was coming off that stage.

roilives.tumblr.com

Last edited by Roi Lives; 04-19-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Words
    Roi Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #45
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Listened to this show so much my senior year of HS.
    Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #46
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Listened to this show so much my senior year of HS.
    That's the first DMB video I ever had on tape. I think I still watched it more than Listeners Supported after it came out a few months later. I used to come home from school and watch the Woodstock VHS and then immediately run down to the basement to play my drums. Couldn't get enough of that tape.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote