Dave and Tim Euro Tour 2017 Equal to 1999? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #61
DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave and Tim Euro Tour 2017 Equal to 1999?

The more tapes I hear, the more I agree with my OP. Dave is on point right now. And the tempos of many of the songs are finally back to where they should be. Starting off a show with Little Thing > Jimi Thing, but slowed down into this cool bluesy groove that it sounds best in has been the highlight of the tapes for me thus far. Also, Tim's playing on LIOG is unreal. No more holding one note throughout the entire solo, it's back to or has grown into something much greater.
DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #62
    pedrommrod

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Sometimes when I read some of the posts I kind of wonder if this is really a DMB fans forum!?! I understand that everyone is entitled to have a strong opinion but the bullying that goes with it is sometimes heartbreaking.

I`ve only been to a few DMB (3) and D&T (2) concerts and for me all of them were awsome. Do I think that they were the best ever? Of course not, but what really matters is that I was there and always with the most important person in my life (my wife).

What I must say is that I`m really jealous of you guys in the US who at least have the chance to see them every year and multiple times. For us whenever they come to Europe it`s a happening so we try to make the most of it and especially in Portugal we try to be sure that they understand how much we love their music.

Adressing the subject, I must say that Dave`s voice sounded splendid (I went to last concert of the Tour).

Sorry for the long comment. Keep enjoying DMB and D&T (I know I will)
    pedrommrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #63
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedrommrod View Post
    Sometimes when I read some of the posts I kind of wonder if this is really a DMB fans forum!?! I understand that everyone is entitled to have a strong opinion but the bullying that goes with it is sometimes heartbreaking.

I`ve only been to a few DMB (3) and D&T (2) concerts and for me all of them were awsome. Do I think that they were the best ever? Of course not, but what really matters is that I was there and always with the most important person in my life (my wife).

What I must say is that I`m really jealous of you guys in the US who at least have the chance to see them every year and multiple times. For us whenever they come to Europe it`s a happening so we try to make the most of it and especially in Portugal we try to be sure that they understand how much we love their music.

Adressing the subject, I must say that Dave`s voice sounded splendid (I went to last concert of the Tour).

Sorry for the long comment. Keep enjoying DMB and D&T (I know I will)
    Right on man. I don't get the vitriol behind some of the comments. Posting a thread or making an opinion is like asking to walk through a mine field. I've learned to embrace it. It's quite to fun to disagree, debate, deliberate etc... but I don't get the bullying. All forums are a haven for trolls. I do think that most people on here like DMB, but either like to stoke a fire, or just be difficult for the sake of it. I got a ton of flak for not thinking LT40 was heaven sent, and called a troll for it, so I get if you really honestly disagree with something. But this comparison is just that. I'm asking people's opinion. If they think it's stupid to ask, I have to ask why they are on this forum, but they are so fuck it.

Dave's voice is on point on the recordings I've heard. I'm kind of blown away by how much better he is sounding than recent years. His falsetto is back in from, the scratch is gone from the voice, there's more control and power.

If you compare this to 2005 vocally, when I thought something was honestly wrong with his vocal cords, it's pretty unbelievable that at 50 he's made such a great effort to recover and it worked!
    Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #64
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    Right on man. I don't get the vitriol behind some of the comments. Posting a thread or making an opinion is like asking to walk through a mine field. I've learned to embrace it. It's quite to fun to disagree, debate, deliberate etc... but I don't get the bullying. All forums are a haven for trolls. I do think that most people on here like DMB, but either like to stoke a fire, or just be difficult for the sake of it. I got a ton of flak for not thinking LT40 was heaven sent, and called a troll for it, so I get if you really honestly disagree with something. But this comparison is just that. I'm asking people's opinion. If they think it's stupid to ask, I have to ask why they are on this forum, but they are so fuck it.

Dave's voice is on point on the recordings I've heard. I'm kind of blown away by how much better he is sounding than recent years. His falsetto is back in from, the scratch is gone from the voice, there's more control and power.

If you compare this to 2005 vocally, when I thought something was honestly wrong with his vocal cords, it's pretty unbelievable that at 50 he's made such a great effort to recover and it worked!
    You got a ton of flak because you melted about it for weeks that LT 40 wasnt a 2016 show, not because you didnt think it was great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #65
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

It really depends on what you consider makes it a great tour. Yeah, each album is represented... but it's the same songs each night that represent those albums. If you're going to do that, you need to pick the best ones. That is, of course, the subjective part.

What will impress me, in particular, is when the break outs and rotations stay fresh. This was only a 15 stop tour; that doesn't mean play Dreaming Tree every night, but Crush could've taken more than one night off to work one of the other lesser played BTCS songs in (i.e. Spoon). And that trend repeats throughout each album. A handful were played consistently, while the rest fell by the wayside.

I know this will not change, but it's what would keep live albums fresh, shows fresh, etc.

I don't care where they're playing now, Satellite 11/15 times? They've toured enough where that could be replaced by something a little more fresh.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #66
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    You got a ton of flak because you melted about it for weeks that LT 40 wasnt a 2016 show, not because you didnt think it was great.
    This is what I'm referring to. Sorry that I wanted a 2016 show. Don't know how disagreeing with the release is a melt. You're obviously still upset about my opinion. I've moved on. Just let it go.
    Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #67
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    It really depends on what you consider makes it a great tour. Yeah, each album is represented... but it's the same songs each night that represent those albums. If you're going to do that, you need to pick the best ones. That is, of course, the subjective part.

What will impress me, in particular, is when the break outs and rotations stay fresh. This was only a 15 stop tour; that doesn't mean play Dreaming Tree every night, but Crush could've taken more than one night off to work one of the other lesser played BTCS songs in (i.e. Spoon). And that trend repeats throughout each album. A handful were played consistently, while the rest fell by the wayside.

I know this will not change, but it's what would keep live albums fresh, shows fresh, etc.

I don't care where they're playing now, Satellite 11/15 times? They've toured enough where that could be replaced by something a little more fresh.
    I get what you're saying, but listen to these versions. I'm exhausted of Satellite too, and kind of groan when I see it on a setlist. But if you listen to 4-06-17 tape in particular of it I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. They've found a way to kind of make it fresh again. Same with Jimi Thing.

I'd love to see more rotation, but if you consider that B and BB, YMDT, Rapunzel, Virginia in the Rain, Death on The High Seas, Best of What's Around are all in regular sets now, that's kind of their opinion of mixing it up. Satellite is a huge radio hit that old school fans in Europe might just be dying to hear.
    Old 04-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #68
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I get what you're saying, but listen to these versions. I'm exhausted of Satellite too, and kind of groan when I see it on a setlist. But if you listen to 4-06-17 tape in particular of it I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. They've found a way to kind of make it fresh again. Same with Jimi Thing.

I'd love to see more rotation, but if you consider that B and BB, YMDT, Rapunzel, Virginia in the Rain, Death on The High Seas, Best of What's Around are all in regular sets now, that's kind of their opinion of mixing it up. Satellite is a huge radio hit that old school fans in Europe might just be dying to hear.
    Yeah, Satellite is a groaner for me too. Because I don't see a lot of shows, I am always hoping for great shows with a lot of set diversity to choose from.

I do believe this is Dave's opinion of mixing it up as well. I consider myself a hardcore fan, but I try to keep it all in context.

Last edited by RainDog1980; 04-25-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #69
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    Yeah, Satellite is a groaner for me too. Because I don't see a lot of shows, I am always hoping for great shows with a lot of set diversity to choose from.

I do believe this is Dave's opinion of mixing it up as well. I consider myself a hardcore fan, but I try to keep it all in context.
    Ya me too. I don't mind a Satellite or Jimi Thing if they are played in an unusual spot on the setlist book-ended by 2 songs that mix it up.

Dreaming Tree
    Jimi Thing
    JTR
    Satellite
    Rapunzel

I would take this 5 song run anyday.

It's when Jimi get's played to end the set, or the 2nd to last song 25 out of 30 nights. Or Satellite gets played in the 4 spot directly following Proudest Monkey followed by Seven.
    Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #70
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Songs needed to add and keep in regular rotation for D and T this summer include?

For Me:

Rapunzel
    YMDT
    Black and Bluebirds
    Death on the High Seas
    Virginia Naked in the Rain
    Best of What's Around
    Slow and groovy Jimi Thing
    Halloween
    Dreaming Tree
    Spoon
    Last Stop
    Fool To Think

I'd love to hear them try

Seven (again)
    Why I Am
    Write A Song
    JTR ( Again)
    So Right
    Old 04-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #71
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't get the bullying. All forums are a haven for trolls. I do think that most people on here like DMB, but either like to stoke a fire, or just be difficult for the sake of it
    In my 8 years here I've never seen bullying. Maybe your threshold is low? Unless you want to bring up examples....??

In a discussion board, especially where you have a collection of obsessive people which is what hardcore DMB fans basically are, it should be quite common for people to be playing devil's advocate (I really enjoy doing that), but it doesn't get personal - people don't care enough about what you or anyone else is saying. Hope this doesn't make you feel bullied or whatever, but that it helps you see how this place runs and enjoy it more. But there is no bullying on here... I've been here 1/2 of AntsMarching's lifetime and never seen any!
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2017, 02:52 AM   #72
    pedrommrod

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41Tom View Post
    In my 8 years here I've never seen bullying. Maybe your threshold is low? Unless you want to bring up examples....??
    As the person that first mentioned bullying, I feel obliged to tone down on my comment. Probably not the best choice of word.
    Agree that being an hardcore fan implies that all of us have strong opinions. I myself admit that I`m really a pain in the ass for my friends as I`m always talking about DMB and since the tape from Porto concert was released I`ve heard it at least 10 times.

But I`m mad at all of you because with all your choices of different additions to the setlist I`m kind of thinking - What Could have been!!!
    Old 04-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #73
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Nobody here is really dogging 2017 Dave and Tim. We're just saying 1999 is on another league which is to be expected.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #74
    pedrommrod

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Nobody here is really dogging 2017 Dave and Tim. We're just saying 1999 is on another league which is to be expected.
    Can`t wait to get home and download a 99 show. Any suggestion?
    Old 04-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #75
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can`t wait to get home and download a 99 show. Any suggestion?

The DMBLive
    Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #76
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Not in this thread no, but I see it happen often enough on AM.org. Someone makes a not so intelligent post, or has an opinion in the minority and 5-10 people just gang up on that person, when the person defends themselves, they say that person is melting, when that person calls out the people as bullying, they laugh and poke more fun at the person for considering it bullying. Maybe bullying? Maybe not?
    Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #77
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Bullying? My goodness
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #78
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As the person that first mentioned bullying, I feel obliged to tone down on my comment. Probably not the best choice of word.
    Agree that being an hardcore fan implies that all of us have strong opinions. I myself admit that I`m really a pain in the ass for my friends as I`m always talking about DMB and since the tape from Porto concert was released I`ve heard it at least 10 times.

Quote:
    Not in this thread no, but I see it happen often enough on AM.org. Someone makes a not so intelligent post, or has an opinion in the minority and 5-10 people just gang up on that person, when the person defends themselves, they say that person is melting, when that person calls out the people as bullying, they laugh and poke more fun at the person for considering it bullying. Maybe bullying? Maybe not?
    Can you link to these threads please? As I say, I've never seen it on Ants in my decade here, but I could be wrong...
    Old 04-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #79
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Can you link to these threads please? As I say, I've never seen it on Ants in my decade here, but I could be wrong...
    Pretty sure hes just talking about himself in the LT 40 thread where he kept hammering on and on how upset he was it wasnt a 2016 show.

People continually rallied against his opinion, as to be expected around here. There was no true bullying that went on, he just wouldnt stop expressing his discontent, so people kept responding.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

Last edited by TheLastPig; 04-26-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #80
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Pretty sure hes just talking about himself in the LT 40 thread where he kept hammering on and on how upset he was it wasnt a 2016 show.

People continually rallied against his opinion, as to be expected around here. There was no true bullying that went on, he just wouldnt stop expressing his discontent, so people kept responding.
    Seems that way, and you can't blame them when he takes the following quite aggressive tone:

Quote:
    This band would not fucking exist without the contributions of Rashawn and Jeff, yes Roi was better, but move the fuck on. They are still incredible players and have allowed us to enjoy the band the last 8 years. How about a little gratitude rather than heaping on how much you think they ruin everything. If you don't like post Rio, then don't listen. Live in the past.
    Darling, if you don't play nice, don't expect others to play nice back I'm really not sure how you could conclude that others were bullying you...

FWIW, the Stay on this video is absolutely excellent, 6/8, the only time I've heard it done that way
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExfPLp7HKk

Last edited by #41Tom; 04-26-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Old 04-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #81
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Here we go again..

A comment taken out of text. I believe this was in response to someone who can't stand Jeff Coffin. I believe using the f word and isn't synonymous with bullying. Also defending the fact that we still have a band because of Jeff Coffin, yet this person would seemingly rather have no band, is grounds for using the f word in a forum like this.
    Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #82
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

I'll just say a handful of regular users on here are really fucking mean, for the sake of being mean. They get on here to tease and harass hoping for a melt. When said melt happens they pour gas on the flames. To say you've been on here for years and never seen it is a flat out lie. I get that the internet is full of this, and this board is super tame in comparision. But we're all on here talking about music about the band we love (well some of us) Some are here to talk about whatever I guess. I don't think anyone was bullying me when I stood my strong dislike for LT40 and how stupid a Blu Ray release of a show not filmed in HD was. I know I'm in the minority, as I am in the minority about 2017 being equivalent thus far to 1999. I didn't even start the comment about bullying. I just was defending his opinion. Perhaps it should have been in a private message.
    Old 04-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #83
    coldblueice

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Darling, if you don't play nice, don't expect others to play nice back

what kind of grown-ass man calls another grown-ass man "darling"?

ew.
    coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #84
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldblueice View Post

ew.
    Oh, I'm actually gender neutral
    Old 04-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #85
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

ew.
    Maybe because You don't sound like a grown ass man.
    Old 04-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #86
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Holy shit are we really comparing what was played in Europe to the 1999 tour? Are you fucking kidding?

Last edited by tyler3440; 04-26-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #87
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Dmb 1983 has one dirty cunt of a mouth to even make a thread like this.
    Old 04-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #88
    coldblueice

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Dmb 1983 has one dirty cunt of a mouth to even make a thread like this.
    do real grown-ass men (like you) throw around the word "cunt" like you do?

it really makes you seem very mature and likable.
    coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #89
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Seems you really like "grown ass men"....... I'll say no more
    Old 04-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #90
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

yes, i come to ants a Internet form to want to be liked. I especially want to be friends with a big grown ass tough guy like you

Last edited by tyler3440; 04-26-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote