DMB 6/25/14 Pine Knob Music Theatre, Clarkston, MI - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
harribri

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

DMB 6/25/14 Pine Knob Music Theatre, Clarkston, MI

As a fan of DMB since 2005, I was quickly immersed in the music and soon became addicted to attending 2-4 shows per summer ever since. As of 2006, I have attended 26 shows with number 27 coming just last night in Clarkston. Interestingly enough, last night's show was the first I have witnessed in my home state of Michigan. Having traveled to JPJ Arena in 2010, Lakeside in 2011, SPAC in 2012, Alpine Valley numerous times, and Deer Creek most often, I had never been overly keen on making the mere 2.5 hour drive to Pine Knob. Prior to last weekend's shows at Deer Creek in Noblesville, I had only planned on attending night 2 in Chicago to finish out my DMB summer. Fortunately for me, an opportunity presented itself to attend last night's show that I could not pass up. Therefore, I thought I would write a short, yet detailed review of the mid-week jem that DMB delivered in the mitten.

After hearing the announcement of the DMB2SETs show format, I was initially indifferent. As the time grew more near and the tour began, it was clear that the acoustic and electric format was a welcomed change from the traditional DMB show. Up to this point, one might argue that the acoustic set has been providing more "old school" DMB classics such as "Minarets", "Pay For What You Get", "Recently", "I'll Back You Up", "Tripping Billies", "What Would You Say", and "Two Step". On the other hand, the electric set has been a mix of old and new geared towards pleasing old and new fans alike. Fortunately for myself, last night's show was filled with a multitude of songs that most hard core fans would be jealous of. Here we go...

Two Step - Great opener. Love the new or different arrangement that Rashawn and Jeff are bringing to this song in the acoustic format. The crowd quickly erupted as Boyd started plucking and Dave started strumming those chords we all know and love.

Snow Outside - Perfect song for the acoustic set and for the #2 slot. This song is one of the best of AFTW, IMO and the stripped nature of the acoustic set allows each band member to really shine.

Stolen Away - Nice little break for the guys. Crowd appeared to lose momentum during the jam as the mellow nature of the song may have lost the interest of the casual fan.

Little Red Bird - As the rest of the band left the stage and Dave was alone seated with his Rockbridge, he told the common story of one sad one-legged bird. Could Dave play something else here solo such as #40, Cry Freedom, Nancies, etc? Sure, but the night was young and I've learned not to get hung up on what could have been. Crowd again was losing momentum as the slow nature of the tune may have not kept the attention of the casual fan.

Crush - Dave and Tim? Ok, cool. Dave strums Bm and the excitement grew exponentially. Crush is a song that I've seen numerous times, but to see a Dave and Tim version, with it being the first time Crush has made the acoustic set was very special. Great moment for me.

Typical Situation - Elated. The acoustic jam was tight and everyone was on point. Jeff only utilized the flute added a quiet nature to a monster song. Very fortunate to have been at Pine Knob for this.

Pay For What You Get - Having not seen this song since my first show in 2006, I was very excited to see it again. Would like to see Jeff add some interludes to this song too.

Ants Marching - Boyd nailed it. The direct intro quickly rose everyone in the building to his or her feet. Boyd himself couldn't stay seated during his solo as the interaction with the crowd and his playing simply would not allow it.
__________________________________________________ ____________

So Right - Dave with the baritone. The place blew up with the opening riff and Carter's drum kick. Great way to resume the party.

The Stone - As a top 3 song of mine, this is always a highlight of any show. Having not being played yet this summer, I was not holding my breath to hear it at Pine Knob, but when Jeff held the Baritone Sax and the opening riff started the night was taken to another level.

Save Me - A nice chance for the band to catch their breath. Starting slow and building to a nice jam, this song fits the full band setting well.

Proudest Monkey - I thought this would be coming tonight. Tim really owns this song. I was hoping for something to segue other than Satellite, but to no avail.

Satellite - Crowd favorite, happy sing along. Standard, yet classic DMB.

Shake Me - Surprised this popped up after it closed the show in Toronto the night before. Crowd ate it up, and after the acoustic set, So Right and The Stone opening, I'm not complaining.

The Riff - Dave's new Rockbridge 12 string is beautiful. This is another song that in the right set can really be quite enjoyable. Nice build and good instrumentals. Underrated song, IMO. Dave interjected a lyric change up, including "Damn life" rather than "F$%&ing life." The crowd still cheered at that point.

You and Me - Nice sing along. Providing a nice mix of old and new songs at this point. This is another song that in the right set can be tolerable.

Raven - Been chasing this song officially since 2010. So very glad Dave brought out the 12 string to play it. Loved the song and as the first chord was strummed I screamed and everyone around me curiously looked in my direction. Didn't take away from the excitement of finally hearing this.

Seek Up - Loved this. Shortened version (13 min), but did not take away from the quality. Boyd again lit up his solo after the final verse/chorus. Crowd ate it up.

SMTS >>> Bridge - Thought this would close, but fortunately did not. Crowd again was continuing to build momentum as the sun is officially down now.

Too Much Fake >>> WWYS - Sweet surprise! Heard the fake into other songs in the past but not WWYS. Jeff only played the flute during the bridge, great version.

Granny - Didn't expect another after WWYS, but why the heck not! Carter's fills are exciting this summer as the song fits the closer slot surprisingly well, IMO.

__________________________________________________ _______________

The Space Between - Was hoping for Sweet here, or GGT after hearing that E1 in Noblesville, but The Space Between is always a welcomed song from Everyday. Crowd, again was very into the song.

Grey Street - Was expecting watchtower, but with Craig handing Dave the 12 string again I knew this was on the docket. I could honestly take this song at every show. One of my top 5. Closes a show well as Carter's drumming blows up the peak of the jam. Loved it.

Wow. Very surprising mid-week show in Clarkston. The boys possibly delivered the best DMB Pine Knob has seen in the modern era (2006, 2010 debate below). As for myself, I was elated with the show and couldn't have asked for anything more. Shows like this are what going to DMB shows should be all about for hard-core and casual fans alike. Beautiful venue, Great crowd, great band, blessed times.

Last edited by harribri; 06-26-2014 at 07:19 PM.
harribri is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB 6/25/14 Pine Knob Music Theatre, Clarkston, MI

Nice review! Always nice to see them deliver a strong set at a mid-week one nighter. Gives me some optimism for Milwaukee next week.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
    phillybeezler
    Don't burn the Pig

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB 6/25/14 Pine Knob Music Theatre, Clarkston, MI

Nice review, sounds like an incredible set and prefromance

"You're still here? Its over, go home, Go"
    phillybeezler is offline   Reply With Quote