The NHL Thread - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #91
Rebecca De Mornay
HateAllThingsElijah

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncan6er View Post
Why? It's not like they have any established rivalries or anything.
I just don't think Carolina, Tampa and FL playing games here every year would generate a lot of excitement about hockey in the city. If they had teams like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Philly coming it attendance would go up
Wow guys, I wasn't at this show, but just listened to your Halloween. Damn, raw AF! I bet it was incredible live, Timmys outro was bad-ass!!!! Gotta listen to the rest of this show, setlist is on point.
Rebecca De Mornay is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #92
    dduncan6er
    Dirt Nap

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schreiber89 View Post
    I just don't think Carolina, Tampa and FL playing games here every year would generate a lot of excitement about hockey in the city. If they had teams like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Philly coming it attendance would go up
    Attendance won't go up until they get a good team. The league will be thinking more about established rivalries than the Blue Jackets attendance if they shuffle the divisions.
    dduncan6er is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #93
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Attendance won't go up until they get a good team. The league will be thinking more about established rivalries than the Blue Jackets attendance if they shuffle the divisions.
    I meant attendance would go up mainly because with those teams there frequently all of those fans would fill the stadium. Likely CBJ is not going to work out here unfortuneatley
    Wow guys, I wasn't at this show, but just listened to your Halloween. Damn, raw AF! I bet it was incredible live, Timmys outro was bad-ass!!!! Gotta listen to the rest of this show, setlist is on point.
    Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #94
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree with this. If they keep finishing in the bottom part of the whatever conference it won't matter. That's also kind of why Detroit has a shot at being moved, however small. There is a benefit to moving Detroit (travel for the playoffs mostly), currently there isn't one for Columbus. They both should be in the East. Move FLA to Portland or something to free up another spot out East for both CBJ and the Wings.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #95
    dduncan6er
    Dirt Nap

My Tour Central Stats

The whole hockey in the South project the NHL tried has really failed miserably. I think the league would actually be in a better position now if they hadn't tried that expansion.
    Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #96
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The whole hockey in the South project the NHL tried has really failed miserably. I think the league would actually be in a better position now if they hadn't tried that expansion.
    Yes and no. Might not have got as good of a tv deal. Other than the OLN debacle out of the lockout Bettman has gotten the NHL better exposure on big networks. Although FLA, SJ, Anaheim and Tampa were not his doing. Some have worked out at least ok. (Dallas, Carolina and Tampa) ATL and the relocation to PHX have failed greatly. They expanded too fast. Including relocation we had 13 new franchises from 91-2000 and you expect them all to workout when many were not hockey markets?

Quote:
    Old 05-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #97
    dduncan6er
    Dirt Nap

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    Yes and no. Might not have got as good of a tv deal. Other than the OLN debacle out of the lockout Bettman has gotten the NHL better exposure on big networks. Although FLA, SJ, Anaheim and Tampa were not his doing. Some have worked out at least ok. (Dallas, Carolina and Tampa) ATL and the relocation to PHX have failed greatly. They expanded too fast. Including relocation we had 13 new franchises from 91-2000 and you expect them all to workout when many were not hockey markets?
    I just think more research should have been done on these locations. I mean it should have been pretty obvious ATL and PHX were never going to work out no matter what happened.
    Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #98
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just think more research should have been done on these locations. I mean it should have been pretty obvious ATL and PHX were never going to work out no matter what happened.
    I agree 1000% Transplanted northerners and big market does not equal success. There is also little room for error in these markets. The longer you go without success the harder it will be to bring in fans. San Jose has worked because they've had sustained success. It's not Pitt, Chicago or even the Island where you know fans will/would be back.

Quote:
    Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #99
    ~Crashintome89~
    gregdog love in pa

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I wouldn't mind if Atlanta stayed where it was. For some reason, I think they would work a lot better than having a team in Phoenix.
    Claude Giroux is a national treasure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan Santana
    Can someone please tell me what a Gordie Howe Hat Trick is?
    ~Crashintome89~ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #100
    dduncan6er
    Dirt Nap

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ View Post
    I wouldn't mind if Atlanta stayed where it was. For some reason, I think they would work a lot better than having a team in Phoenix.
    Atlanta doesn't support any of their franchises besides the Falcons. Even the Braves and Hawks are setting all time lows for attendance.
    Old 05-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #101
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ View Post
    I'm the other way. I think Phoenix has a better shot to succeed. Even though I don't think they will either because of all the bad that has happened over the last 5-7 years.

Quote:
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #102
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Here's something somewhat realistic I think we might see from the Blackhawks next season, assuming a $62.2 million cap like is being reported in some places:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

Last edited by lockman21; 05-18-2011 at 07:06 AM.
    lockman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #103
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

You only feel Phoenix has a better chance to succeed because they've done better recently. If the Thrashers were any good they would draw more fans, better TV numbers etc.
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #104
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You only feel Phoenix has a better chance to succeed because they've done better recently. If the Thrashers were any good they would draw more fans, better TV numbers etc.
    No teams do well in Atlanta. Even if they were winning the Thrashers wouldn't draw.
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #105
    dduncan6er
    Dirt Nap

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No they wouldn't. They were good the first half the season and have some young exciting players but no one down there gave a shit.
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #106
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No they wouldn't. They were good the first half the season and have some young exciting players but no one down there gave a shit.
    I'm talking about a little bit of sustained success - or at least a playoff game
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #107
    dduncan6er
    Dirt Nap

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm talking about a little bit of sustained success - or at least a playoff game
    The Hawks have had playoff success. They're absolutely desperate to get people in the building, and something tells me there's more basketball fans in Atlanta than hockey fans.
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #108
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Here's something somewhat realistic I think we might see from the Blackhawks next season, assuming a $62.2 million cap like is being reported in some places:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    Cole's not leaving the Canes. He works there and seems to like it. He stunk in Edmonton and came back to Carolina and fit back in pretty quickly.
    Quote:
    The Hawks have had playoff success. They're absolutely desperate to get people in the building, and something tells me there's more basketball fans in Atlanta than hockey fans.
    This ^. It's a terrible sports town. The transplant thing hurts. My friends don't care about seeing the Thrashers play anyone except the Wings. Then they'll go downtown to see them. This whole put a winning product on the ice is all well and good but with teams like the Pens, Flyers, Caps, Bruins, Habs and probably TBL now being playoff teams every year the window to be a playoff team is pretty small. To be relevant in that market you need to win and I don't see them getting into the playoffs anytime soon and the longer you go without success the more the people there will not even think about you which makes them less viable. There is no one who wants to own the team there at least not legitimate people. The Ducks were owned by Disney, Huizinga owned the Panthers. Big time people with big money and they eventually backed out. You need owners with big pockets, a passion for the game and passion for the game in that market. This is not an investment like the NBA can be and the NFL is. It's more of a job than that, especially in the south. That's why when I read about Lil Jon and Bruckheimer I laughed cause neither of them would be hands on owners it would just be name recognition which would wear off after a while. The same way the novelty of hockey in Miami and Atlanta did when those teams weren't winning.

Quote:

Last edited by TMoore4075; 05-18-2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Old 05-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #109
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

We had a big arguement this weekend in my family about wheter Ruff should be fired. While he's been there a long time and never won he's overachieved for the most part. I think he does a nice job and has had bad injury luck in his career. I want to see him stick around - what does everyone else think?
    Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #110
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We had a big arguement this weekend in my family about wheter Ruff should be fired. While he's been there a long time and never won he's overachieved for the most part. I think he does a nice job and has had bad injury luck in his career. I want to see him stick around - what does everyone else think?
    Well he did re-sign didn't he? He's a Barry Trotz type. Not given much to work with too often but gets the most and more out of his players usually. If the new owner starts putting money into the team and they don't get past the level they are at now then maybe he'll get fired but it's not his fault the team couldn't or wouldn't re-sign players.

Quote:
    Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #111
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well he did re-sign didn't he? He's a Barry Trotz type. Not given much to work with too often but gets the most and more out of his players usually. If the new owner starts putting money into the team and they don't get past the level they are at now then maybe he'll get fired but it's not his fault the team couldn't or wouldn't re-sign players.
    This is what I thought too... Ruff is a good coach, and with the new owner willing to commit $$$$ Buffalo should be looking good shortly!
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #112
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Cole's not leaving the Canes. He works there and seems to like it. He stunk in Edmonton and came back to Carolina and fit back in pretty quickly.
    That one signing was kinda wishful thinking. Everything else seems to be realistic though.
    Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #113
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

If you want a good laugh check out the Thrashers facebook page and the comments about the select-a-seat for this weekend. "Will the seats be on the roof so we can use telescopes to watch the game in Winnipeg?"

Quote:
    Old 05-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #114
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you want a good laugh check out the Thrashers facebook page and the comments about the select-a-seat for this weekend. "Will the seats be on the roof so we can use telescopes to watch the game in Winnipeg?"
    Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #115
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

that's hilarious
    Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #116
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah my thoughs exactly. In '06 which was arguably his best team he lost his top 4 D-men in the playoffs. There's only so much a coach can do in that scenario. If the new owner spends the money he's talking about spending and they still don't get results then I'm all for a change but at this point he still deserves the job
    Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #117
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Brad McCrimmon finally being fired by the Wings. Coached the PK and first year was 23rd, second year (last year) not terrible at 10th, and this year 17th and 13 out of 16 in the playoffs. They'll just say his contract was up but if he was good he would have been retained. See ya!

Quote:
    Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #118
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Crawford signed to 3 year deal with the Hawks.

Quote:
    Old 05-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #119
    dduncan6er
    Dirt Nap

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Crawford signed to 3 year deal with the Hawks.
    What's the cap hit on that?
    Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #120
    ~Crashintome89~
    gregdog love in pa

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Nik Zherdev apparently attacked his wife last night. Too bad he wasn't as aggressive in the playoffs.
    Claude Giroux is a national treasure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan Santana
    Can someone please tell me what a Gordie Howe Hat Trick is?
    ~Crashintome89~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    #brohan1519