Charlotte Review - 07/24/2013 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Charlotte Review - 07/24/2013

First off, this was my 25th DMB show (27 total shows with 2 D&T), and what a great experience it was. My gf, best friend, and his gf met in the lots early on and tailgated in the scorching heat before meeting up with some fellow Ants. It's always good to meet some new people, and to heighten the good mood before the show.

Anyways, there is no reason to go into great detail about the delay, all I will say is that I have never experienced something like that at a DMB show, and it was pretty crazy. Even though it continued to pour, thankfully the dangerous aspects of the storm moved on so that the band could start right at 9:25 I believe.

JTR (tease): Dave sang "Rain, rain, rain down on me" once, and maybe went through the full chorus once I can't remember. Cool tease, but it gives some blue balls for sure.

Seven: My gf hates this song, and I made the mistake of telling her they hadn't played it in almost a month so hopefully they keep it on the shelf. Nope, they open with it haha. I don't mind the song, it's fun, but just not the opener I was hoping for.

Belly Belly Nice: I enjoy this song, but for some reason wasn't feeling it after Seven. Still fun to sing and dance to.

Broken Things: One of my favorites from AFTW, and I was really hoping to see this song again after last winter. Boyd sounded good on it from what I could tell, and they did a good job with it. At this point I did feel like they needed to kick it into gear with a classic, and what better way to do so than with...

Granny: I don't know what to tell you if you dislike this song. The entire crowd seemed to be ecstatic as soon as Dave started it, and everyone sang along. I could see this song at every show I go to.

#41: Here we go. Seemed like a standard version (aka: great), but I think the outro drags on a little too long. Shorten that up and I will never have a damn thing to say about it.

Don't Drink the Water: Another song I could see anytime, anywhere. The energy seems through the roof at this point, as the crowd and band are both on fire. Nothing out of the ordinary here, pretty standard, but it segues right into...

Long Black Veil: What a nice treat this was. Perfectly placed too. There has been a lot of complaints about the flow of sets this year, but damn did this set have good flow IMO. Dave's voice was fantastic, and the band nailed it. Great version.

Funny the Way It Is: This is the definition of a "0" song for me. I could take it or leave it at every show. I'm never overly excited when it starts, but I always sing a long. The crowd seems to still love it though, so you can't argue with that. Seemed standard to me.

Crazy Easy: I thought I'd never see this song. This was just one of those special 'DMB show' moments that are hard to describe to people that don't understand. A lot of people around me knew what it was and flipped a shit. I'm not sure what the overall crowd reaction was though. It sounded pretty damn good to me. The lyrics seemed good, it seemed like the band was tight, and I didn't hear any flubs, but I will have to defer to the tape.

Runnin' Down a Dream: I didn't even care that this was the 2nd cover of the night, because this song is awesome. They tear this thing apart. Seriously though, eat your heart out Tom Petty.

Kit Kat Jam: Dave was being a little silly before it started and saying something, but I couldn't make out what it was. I just assumed it was Grey St, or possibly JTR, but damn was I wrong! I saw KKJ the last time it was played (07.01.10) in Camden, but never thought I'd see it again. They nailed it. It sounded as if they had been playing it for 20 years on a night in, night out basis. Such a cool little treat. Oh, and it was also the first time it was played live as an instrumental song, which I find to be pretty neat.

Recently: Yes, Dave. Yes. This is how you do it. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I have been begging for this song to get consistent play for years, and they are finally doing it. It's awesome. They nail it every time, and it's a perfect song for this lineup. This segued right into...

You & Me: Meh. I went to the bathroom so I wouldn't be in pain for the end of the show. Crowd loves it, I don't care for it too much. I will have to check the tape, but I believe it pretty much segued into...

Drunken Soldier: Dave gave a little speech about how he appreciated everyone staying late and then told what the song was about. This song is a beast on the album, and it's a beast live. I think Dave fumbled the lyrics, but who cares. The ending never gets old, and it faded directly into...

Two Step: The intro was a little extended due to a complication with Dave's IEM, and he even started off without the Time Bomb intro, but we all know he had to come back to it lol. Well, once again, they absolutely destroyed it. The band, crowd, and myself included was going nuts. I told my buddy that Ants > Halloween would come after this almost jokingly. We both truly thought this had to be the set closer, but nope, Carter hits that snare and...

Ants Marching: Crowd. Goes. Wild. The energy in the building was outrageous. I've always known Charlotte crowds to be into it and loud, but this was unprecedented IMO. This was my friend's 27th show, and he had never seen Halloween before and for the weeks and days leading up to this show all he wanted was Ants > Halloween. I was a little worried for him, because I knew it was getting late, and knew he'd be disappointed if they ditched that combo for this show, but fuck that....

Halloween: BOOM. how can the energy be any higher? This was my 4th Halloween, and I think this may have been the best one. What a fantastic run to end the show, and a great show overall.

Carter was still tossing out sticks and everything when the band came back out, Dave said something to Carter they gave their high-five, and Carter rushed back to his kit. There was a little intro by Stefan and Tim, and I just assumed it was going to be Watchtower, but...

Shake Me Like a Monkey: At the time I rolled my eyes, and wasn't too pleased with the song choice, but I figured there would be another after it. Nope. That's when a lot of people around me, and a lot while we were walking out seemed dumbfounded, kind of annoyed, and a few "wtf's" were uttered lol. It's just not a song anyone ever wants to see close a show, you can just tell from the overall feel and vibe from way more than just hardcore fans.

If I had known that Dave just randomly decided to come back out, play an extra song just for the hell of it, and that it had to be a short one, I wouldn't have given 2 shits. Honestly, idt there was even gonna be an encore. It was basically like Dave said lets give them one more and had to pick the shortest song possible...wasn't the end of the world, especially after one hell of a main set.

It's a shame they cancelled Stanley Jordan's guest spot, but the original setlist had him playing on 'If Only', so meh I don't mind missing that. Hopefully I will catch him with them one day.

Overall, I had a freaking blast, and am so glad and appreciative that the band seems to turn it up for Charlotte year in and year out. I can't wait for next year, but more importantly I can't wait for Va Beach tomorrow!
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Charlotte Review - 07/24/2013

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    First off, this was my 25th DMB show (27 total shows with 2 D&T), and what a great experience it was. My gf, best friend, and his gf met in the lots early on and tailgated in the scorching heat before meeting up with some fellow Ants. It's always good to meet some new people, and to heighten the good mood before the show.

Anyways, there is no reason to go into great detail about the delay, all I will say is that I have never experienced something like that at a DMB show, and it was pretty crazy. Even though it continued to pour, thankfully the dangerous aspects of the storm moved on so that the band could start right at 9:25 I believe.

JTR (tease): Dave sang "Rain, rain, rain down on me" once, and maybe went through the full chorus once I can't remember. Cool tease, but it gives some blue balls for sure.

Seven: My gf hates this song, and I made the mistake of telling her they hadn't played it in almost a month so hopefully they keep it on the shelf. Nope, they open with it haha. I don't mind the song, it's fun, but just not the opener I was hoping for.

Belly Belly Nice: I enjoy this song, but for some reason wasn't feeling it after Seven. Still fun to sing and dance to.

Broken Things: One of my favorites from AFTW, and I was really hoping to see this song again after last winter. Boyd sounded good on it from what I could tell, and they did a good job with it. At this point I did feel like they needed to kick it into gear with a classic, and what better way to do so than with...

Granny: I don't know what to tell you if you dislike this song. The entire crowd seemed to be ecstatic as soon as Dave started it, and everyone sang along. I could see this song at every show I go to.

#41: Here we go. Seemed like a standard version (aka: great), but I think the outro drags on a little too long. Shorten that up and I will never have a damn thing to say about it.

Don't Drink the Water: Another song I could see anytime, anywhere. The energy seems through the roof at this point, as the crowd and band are both on fire. Nothing out of the ordinary here, pretty standard, but it segues right into...

Long Black Veil: What a nice treat this was. Perfectly placed too. There has been a lot of complaints about the flow of sets this year, but damn did this set have good flow IMO. Dave's voice was fantastic, and the band nailed it. Great version.

Funny the Way It Is: This is the definition of a "0" song for me. I could take it or leave it at every show. I'm never overly excited when it starts, but I always sing a long. The crowd seems to still love it though, so you can't argue with that. Seemed standard to me.

Crazy Easy: I thought I'd never see this song. This was just one of those special 'DMB show' moments that are hard to describe to people that don't understand. A lot of people around me knew what it was and flipped a shit. I'm not sure what the overall crowd reaction was though. It sounded pretty damn good to me. The lyrics seemed good, it seemed like the band was tight, and I didn't hear any flubs, but I will have to defer to the tape.

Runnin' Down a Dream: I didn't even care that this was the 2nd cover of the night, because this song is awesome. They tear this thing apart. Seriously though, eat your heart out Tom Petty.

Kit Kat Jam: Dave was being a little silly before it started and saying something, but I couldn't make out what it was. I just assumed it was Grey St, or possibly JTR, but damn was I wrong! I saw KKJ the last time it was played (07.01.10) in Camden, but never thought I'd see it again. They nailed it. It sounded as if they had been playing it for 20 years on a night in, night out basis. Such a cool little treat. Oh, and it was also the first time it was played live as an instrumental song, which I find to be pretty neat.

Recently: Yes, Dave. Yes. This is how you do it. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I have been begging for this song to get consistent play for years, and they are finally doing it. It's awesome. They nail it every time, and it's a perfect song for this lineup. This segued right into...

You & Me: Meh. I went to the bathroom so I wouldn't be in pain for the end of the show. Crowd loves it, I don't care for it too much. I will have to check the tape, but I believe it pretty much segued into...

Drunken Soldier: Dave gave a little speech about how he appreciated everyone staying late and then told what the song was about. This song is a beast on the album, and it's a beast live. I think Dave fumbled the lyrics, but who cares. The ending never gets old, and it faded directly into...

Two Step: The intro was a little extended due to a complication with Dave's IEM, and he even started off without the Time Bomb intro, but we all know he had to come back to it lol. Well, once again, they absolutely destroyed it. The band, crowd, and myself included was going nuts. I told my buddy that Ants > Halloween would come after this almost jokingly. We both truly thought this had to be the set closer, but nope, Carter hits that snare and...

Ants Marching: Crowd. Goes. Wild. The energy in the building was outrageous. I've always known Charlotte crowds to be into it and loud, but this was unprecedented IMO. This was my friend's 27th show, and he had never seen Halloween before and for the weeks and days leading up to this show all he wanted was Ants > Halloween. I was a little worried for him, because I knew it was getting late, and knew he'd be disappointed if they ditched that combo for this show, but fuck that....

Halloween: BOOM. how can the energy be any higher? This was my 4th Halloween, and I think this may have been the best one. What a fantastic run to end the show, and a great show overall.

Carter was still tossing out sticks and everything when the band came back out, Dave said something to Carter they gave their high-five, and Carter rushed back to his kit. There was a little intro by Stefan and Tim, and I just assumed it was going to be Watchtower, but...

Shake Me Like a Monkey: At the time I rolled my eyes, and wasn't too pleased with the song choice, but I figured there would be another after it. Nope. That's when a lot of people around me, and a lot while we were walking out seemed dumbfounded, kind of annoyed, and a few "wtf's" were uttered lol. It's just not a song anyone ever wants to see close a show, you can just tell from the overall feel and vibe from way more than just hardcore fans.

If I had known that Dave just randomly decided to come back out, play an extra song just for the hell of it, and that it had to be a short one, I wouldn't have given 2 shits. Honestly, idt there was even gonna be an encore. It was basically like Dave said lets give them one more and had to pick the shortest song possible...wasn't the end of the world, especially after one hell of a main set.

It's a shame they cancelled Stanley Jordan's guest spot, but the original setlist had him playing on 'If Only', so meh I don't mind missing that. Hopefully I will catch him with them one day.

Overall, I had a freaking blast, and am so glad and appreciative that the band seems to turn it up for Charlotte year in and year out. I can't wait for next year, but more importantly I can't wait for Va Beach tomorrow!

Got goosebumps reading your review. Couldn't agree more with just about everything you said. Most insane way to end a set. Phew. Just awesome. That crowd was UNREAL! like you said, energy was just through the roof for those final songs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
    taxtow

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Nice review
    taxtow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
    blskier

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

did anyone else hear a little boyd on crazy easy last night, or was it just in my head? I listened the copperpot one from orange beach and didn't hear him at all, but I swore I heard him faintly in the beginning last night

nice review btw, I don't think it could be overstated how awesome and tight kit kat jam was, rashawn tore it a new one
    blskier is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
    Othello-5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Review sums it up very well; I too had that blue balls feeling from the JTR tease, it took me right out of the show until Granny. Otherwise a great night, even with the Shake Me encore.
    Othello-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
    CjimiCARthing

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

great review. The SMLAM encore couldn't even get to me after a set like that. WOW.

Also, I may be out of line because I was pretty far back (uncovered seats right in front of the lawn), but did it not seem like the set ended with all direct segues from Recently thru Halloween? Like a cool mini-set a la Live Trax 26?
    CjimiCARthing is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CjimiCARthing View Post
    great review. The SMLAM encore couldn't even get to me after a set like that. WOW.

Also, I may be out of line because I was pretty far back (uncovered seats right in front of the lawn), but did it not seem like the set ended with all direct segues from Recently thru Halloween? Like a cool mini-set a la Live Trax 26?
    Yepp...most of the show seemed like a segue lol
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
    Bonz

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yepp...most of the show seemed like a segue lol
    This is true,
    Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
    slygrooves2dmb2
    Could I have been?

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Great review Bruce. You pretty much nailed it.
    To the bolded, I said the exact same thing, that I could see it at every show and be just as happy with it every time. Proof was last night when they started it and I had the same cheesy smile on my face as I did in Charlotte and Va. Beach. Love that song!!

One more thing to add, the lawn sold out for this show. The only tickets still available before the show were in the crappy seats where the bleachers used to be. I have a feeling that Charlotte will soon be a 2 night stand and a destination venue if we keep getting sets like we have been.
    slygrooves2dmb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Othello-5 View Post
    Review sums it up very well; I too had that blue balls feeling from the JTR tease, it took me right out of the show until Granny. Otherwise a great night, even with the Shake Me encore.
    I was in the same boat. I thought for sure they would start with that, but I guess it would have been kinda tasteless considering the lightning danger and how half the crowd was nice and dry while the rest were soaked!

Stadium show with no cover? Go for it!
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote