***Official Pine Knob (DTE) 2013 Thread*** - Page 12 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #331
harryhoudini
I'm Batman

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Pine Knob (DTE) 2013 Thread***

First show in 4 years, so I will say the layoff helped me enjoy a show that in previous years I would have felt really upset with. First time seeing any of the new songs, and each cover was new as well. Wish they did more with the middle of Reaper instead of just sticking to the standard version of it.

Highlights for me were a pretty strong encore (I will never, ever complain about hearing Ants), Spoon, Stir it up, and the covers.

Completely agree with people saying this show lacked one more longer classic. Say Goodbye, Typical, Stone, or something of that ilk would have made a big difference.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #332
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

If Say Bye would have been played along with Spoon last night I'd still have an erection.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #333
    El Bastarde

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Let me rephrase - the show lacked a 10+ minute rare, diehard fan favorite. All I needed was another good one like the Stone and I go home very happy.

I see what you mean by that but frankly, I've never seen the Stone so to EXPECT them to play something like that is kinda setting yourself up for disappointment. It's like being pissed that they didn't play Last Stop or something. And I LOVE the Stone, but I'd never expect it. I do think there were a few "diehard favorites" like Spoon but I suppose that's not as big as some.

and YMDT just doesn't do it for me.

I kinda doesn't for me either but I appreciated the jam that came from it...kinda redeemed the song selection overall.

The DTE shows of 2012 and 2013 still have not reached the same level as the shows in 2009 and 2010....

I certainly agree with this and I think it's largely been setlist over performance. It's just been a lot of lesser-known stuff in these last two Pine Knob shows. It kinda kills the casuals in the crowds since they don't know the tunes (though screw them, frankly, maybe they'll never come back). It's funny, since me not knowing some of the tunes in 2012 made me brush up on the albums for this year and I found I appreciated the bustouts a lot more. In the end, if they jam out the tunes as we know they can, I don't mind what they play. Obviously it's different for those seeing multiple shows but I can only comment on what I've seen.

It hurts losing Oh.

Meh. Not that big on it so no big loss. Would have been ncie to get that Rapunzel though.
    El Bastarde is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #334
    magnumdan
    slow but speeding

Shows Seen: 180

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

If anyone out there got a paper setlist and would willing to trade it for a poster or something let me know.
    firedncr4136 #40
    magnumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #335
    Cobo

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by El Bastarde View Post
    I see what you mean by that but frankly, I've never seen the Stone so to EXPECT them to play something like that is kinda setting yourself up for disappointment. It's like being pissed that they didn't play Last Stop or something. And I LOVE the Stone, but I'd never expect it. I do think there were a few "diehard favorites" like Spoon but I suppose that's not as big as some..
    One more comment for me on this topic and then I'm done (because I had a great time last night and this show was not a major disappointment) - It's not just The Stone. I'm simply using that as an example because you're right, expecting The Stone, The Last Stop is foolish and you will not enjoy the show if you go in expecting those.

While I didn't expect a specific cut, I still expected one more to compliment Spoon. I'm not sure if you've been following sets or not but these are songs that have been in consistent rotation this tour, especially lately : Typical Situation, Warehouse, Nancies, Joyride, JTR, Recently, The Stone (not so much but still there), Cry Freedom (earlier in the tour), Drive in Drive Out, Captain, Pig, Bartender. I DID NOT expect one single song in this group per se, but I was expecting they would play at least one or two from that group, especially considering they skipped so much at Alpine.

I think this stems from the larger issue of what seems to happen every tour . They come in with a vengeance and the first 10-15 shows are very strong (Noblesville 1 of this year is the best show I've seen them put on). Once they get through the Alpine weekend, they coast to their mid-summer break. They seem to pick it up again with the last shows in WPB and The Gorge after the break. ...I have no idea what it takes to do a country wide tour every summer. As the boys get older, it has to be tougher on them but to expect them to throw in a couple rarities every show isn't that outlandish IMO!
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #336
    stlguy11501
    JEREMY

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianmyers2 View Post
    Hope you had an awesome show. We were next to you at the Hamlin tonight and it was great meeting you guys (whale seman shots, haha)! Dave handed Laura a guitar pick during the show and we each got sticks from Carter so it was a great night - enjoy the concert tomorrow and hopefully we'll run into you at the TBD Chicago shows!?!?
    Had a great show and of course jealous of your free souvenirs. Had a shot of whale semen before leaving Hamlin's, had to convince the bartender that it was real, hahah. And if the Chicago show happens and it works with my schedule better believe we are there. Btw, got home at 630 our time!!!!
    stlguy11501 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #337
    LIOG4140

Shows Seen: 166

DMB Hub Stubs: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Really like this YMDT
    LIOG4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #338
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I thought the show had some great songs played, but too many duds that killed any momentum. It never really developed a good flow. And Jimi Thing is awful...

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #339
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

How was attendance last night?
    Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #340
    Mr McVicker

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Did anyone see that guy collapse and keep passing out in the Pit against the stage during If Only?

People were trying to hold him up and Dave keep looking down and looked concerned but kept singing. I was yelling back to the ushers behind me "MEDIC" and finally they carried him out.
    Mr McVicker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #341
    MW104

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianmyers2 View Post
    Had a great time last night on the rail (Boyd side). During Jimi thing Dave walked over and handed my wife his pick. Does anyone that was close happen to have a video of Jimi thing? She's trying to track down a video of when he gave her the pick. It was when Dave walked over to the left side of the stage and someone else was jamming out. I realize it's a long shot but I thought I'd ask.

We were center rail-- saw that.. congrats! unfortunately, didnt video much last night.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr McVicker View Post
    Did anyone see that guy collapse and keep passing out in the Pit against the stage during If Only?

People were trying to hold him up and Dave keep looking down and looked concerned but kept singing. I was yelling back to the ushers behind me "MEDIC" and finally they carried him out.
    That was just a few people over from us... pretty sure he later returned after some much needed hydration.

Overall-- for a midweek show, we thought it was pretty good... greatly enjoyed WTWE, and Fool... Spoon was a bonus. I'm ok without Rapunzel, would have liked to see Oh again (but we got that at Blossom). Curfew sucks, but everyone knows they wrap at 11pm sharp.
    MW104 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #342
    MiniFlynny34

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

That's two years in a row at DTE that they've ended at 10:59. I was in the 2nd row in the pit, about 5 feet left of Dave. Carter pointed at me about 45 seconds into Bayou, and Timmy was making faces my way all night. The people in front of me were nice enough to let me go up against the rail when Carter was throwing the sticks out. Didn't get one though. Granny and Jane were highlights for me. I called Bayou, Idea of You, Kill The Preacher --> DDTW because of the guitars. Had a fun time last night.
    Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #343
    El Bastarde

My Tour Central Stats

It's not just The Stone. I'm simply using that as an example

I know you were. But I don’t see why Spoon would be considered one of those. And whether it’s new or not, I’ll bet the band sees Soldier as a new one of these. I know I was surprised when they busted it out and enjoyed it a lot.

but these are songs that have been in consistent rotation this tour, especially lately : Typical Situation, Warehouse, Nancies, Joyride, JTR, Recently, The Stone (not so much but still there), Cry Freedom (earlier in the tour), Drive in Drive Out, Captain, Pig, Bartender.

I guess this is where we just differ. I’m more used these other types of jambands where the setlist is just completely different each show. You see a Phish show and it doesn’t matter what they played that tour…you have no clue what they’ll play when it starts. I know Dave is little tighter with the setlists than other “jamband” artists but, maybe it’s me, but he’s just been mixing up setlists more and more these last few years. The last two DTE shows show that perfectly. Not that I wouldn’t prefer any of the tunes you heard, but they just seemed to pick different ones for this show. It’s no biggie. I’m going to see DMB…not see a particular song.

As the boys get older, it has to be tougher on them but to expect them to throw in a couple rarities every show isn't that outlandish IMO!

Well, to compare them to Phish again, DMB is touring FAR more than Phish who is the same age and does these annoying mini-tours and really seems to go to the same ten cities every summer tour and they sure as heck rarely come to Michigan. So I appreciate DMB for just touring as much as they do despite their age and consistently coming to Pine Knob. Whether it’s the “dog days” of the tour or not, I appreciate them continuing to come here since I can’t go on tour as much as I used to. Even a Dave show that isn’t as scorching as the others always has its great moments.

[iReally like this YMDT [/i]

Me too! I was groaning when it started and clapping in appreciation when it ended.

but too many duds that killed any momentum.

Maybe a few too many slow songs but it’s more the fans not knowing the tunes than anything. And screw them…go buy a few albums, you bums.

How was attendance last night?

Pretty darn packed as far as I could tell.
    Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #344
    Cobo

My Tour Central Stats

Nice back and forth El Bastarde. I appreciate your perspective, albeit a tad different.

And yes, it absolutely packed last night.
    Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #345
    Mr McVicker

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MW104 View Post
    We were center rail-- saw that.. congrats! unfortunately, didnt video much last night.

That was just a few people over from us... pretty sure he later returned after some much needed hydration.

Overall-- for a midweek show, we thought it was pretty good... greatly enjoyed WTWE, and Fool... Spoon was a bonus. I'm ok without Rapunzel, would have liked to see Oh again (but we got that at Blossom). Curfew sucks, but everyone knows they wrap at 11pm sharp.
    Was that all it was dehydration? What time did you get there to be against the rail, I was about 4 deep in the PIT. Keep believe Dave kept going with If Only with that guy passing out and him looking at him
    Mr McVicker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #346
    El Bastarde

My Tour Central Stats

I appreciate your perspective, albeit a tad different.

Ya, I see a bunch of these types of bands but DMB is always a bit different. Setlists, types of fans and fan reactions are all unique. There's really very few bands who tip-toe along that line of being somewhat mainstream and yet appeasing the hardcore as much as these guys seem to have to. I do wonder if they're kinda not giving a shit about appeasing the casuals as much lately...like they just want to play all their stuff equally. I kinda like it.
    Old 07-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #347
    MW104

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr McVicker View Post
    Was that all it was dehydration? What time did you get there to be against the rail, I was about 4 deep in the PIT. Keep believe Dave kept going with If Only with that guy passing out and him looking at him
    I dont want to speculate what else it could have been... but dehydration was probably a large part.

we got there right before 3pm. The pit was very well organized early on... had a few "pushers" as the night went on, but that'll never go away
    Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #348
    Cobo

My Tour Central Stats

Can any of you estimate just how many people were in the pit? It looked incredibly small.
    Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #349
    brianmyers2

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cobo View Post
    Can any of you estimate just how many people were in the pit? It looked incredibly small.
    Rumor was there were 50 tickets sold and after being down there I'd say that was right on. There were no rails separating the pit from the first row of seats so I'm sure people snuck in as the show went on but I couldn't say for sure as we were on the rail and didn't spend too much time looking back.
    brianmyers2 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #350
    hoke2007
    #16- I'm with Coco

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Well we definitely got the short end of the stick in comparison to the show tonight. Dammit.
    hoke2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #351
    stlguy11501
    JEREMY

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Was at the Michigan show and then back home to the STL show and all I Can't say is HOLY FUCK!!!!!! They pulled out all the stops tonight!
    stlguy11501 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #352
    Cobo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hoke2007 View Post
    Well we definitely got the short end of the stick in comparison to the show tonight. Dammit.
    Yup. This STL show looks great. Pleases everyone. Exactly what we needed at DTE - A DIDO or PIG or SEEK UP. Damn....
    Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #353
    LMPylar

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stlguy11501 View Post
    Was at the Michigan show and then back home to the STL show and all I Can't say is HOLY FUCK!!!!!! They pulled out all the stops tonight!
    Brian and I were watching the setlist on Twitter last night (slightly envious). Glad you got back safely and enjoyed the show. Met 6 new DMB friends at DTE - stlguy11501 and his wife, two girls from Ft. Wayne, and a father and son from Ohio.
    LMPylar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #354
    tazdmb

Shows Seen: 89

My Tour Central Stats

Address a few things in the pit-
    1) Per DTE Rep that escorted the Warehouse line down, they sold 250 tickets in the pit, I know some were able to purchase them the day of show at the box office, as when I got there a girl was complaining "that they only had a pair of pit left in the pavilion"
    2) I was fortunate to be first in line in the pit, I arrived around 1. I have done pit around ten times and was surprised to be first in line based on time of arrival. (In Hartford, first people in line arrived around 6:30 AM, Scranton around 8:00. I know this is not an east coast show and the pit was smaller, but DTE still has their share of Die Hard fans.) I was actually third in line, but the two in front of me did not have Warehouse tickets.
    3) The person who collapsed was right next to me, he passed out due to a combination of low blood pressure mixed with dehydration. He was fine and returned to the show. I kept telling (OK, mouthing to) Dave (as his wife was telling me before the family left, that this has happened before) he is OK and we kept giving each others thumbs up. Kudos to the pit for quickly making a passageway between the aisle to him and getting him to safety and letting the family back in front when they returned.
    tazdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #355
    MW104

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
    Address a few things in the pit-
    1) Per DTE Rep that escorted the Warehouse line down, they sold 250 tickets in the pit, I know some were able to purchase them the day of show at the box office, as when I got there a girl was complaining "that they only had a pair of pit left in the pavilion"
    2) I was fortunate to be first in line in the pit, I arrived around 1. I have done pit around ten times and was surprised to be first in line based on time of arrival. (In Hartford, first people in line arrived around 6:30 AM, Scranton around 8:00. I know this is not an east coast show and the pit was smaller, but DTE still has their share of Die Hard fans.) I was actually third in line, but the two in front of me did not have Warehouse tickets.
    3) The person who collapsed was right next to me, he passed out due to a combination of low blood pressure mixed with dehydration. He was fine and returned to the show. I kept telling (OK, mouthing to) Dave (as his wife was telling me before the family left, that this has happened before) he is OK and we kept giving each others thumbs up. Kudos to the pit for quickly making a passageway between the aisle to him and getting him to safety and letting the family back in front when they returned.

good sir-- I'm the "Michigan guy" who was with you all day... thanks again for the gift! We definitely hope to see you at another show-- great company during the "wait" and a good fan to have along side us in the pit!
    Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #356
    tazdmb

Shows Seen: 89

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MW104 View Post
    good sir-- I'm the "Michigan guy" who was with you all day... thanks again for the gift! We definitely hope to see you at another show-- great company during the "wait" and a good fan to have along side us in the pit!
    The gift-I.E. Dave's pick? If so, no problem, I already have one and it just sits in a drawer and didn't need another (or another unused drumstick for that matter that I passed on). I prefer when people, who appreciate it, get one for the first time.

If you are that person, congrats again on your upcoming nuptials.
    tazdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #357
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

Shows Seen: 143

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

I was really really bummed to see Oh cut. In 32 shows I've only seen it once, but it was during Dave & Tim's afternoon set at caravan and we were really far away. It's such a short song (well, can be!) bummed they couldn't squeeze it in. Stupid curfew!!!

Oh well maybe next tour....
    MidwestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote