308 Negra Arroyo Lane: Breaking Bad Appreciation - Page 323 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #9661
Arby
We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Breaking Bad *Use Spoiler Tags on ANY episode info that has not aired yet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
I think Grey Matter was just a vessel to show us Walter's now lust for power and ego, since it was all taken away from him so long ago. Gray Matter is a large reason why, when Walt is given the opportunity to sell his share of the methylamine to a competitor and receive $5 million, he refuses to take the money and leave the meth business.

Many reasons for this include Walt's insatiable lust for power, the hubris of believing he’s smart enough to be untouchable, a disdain for anyone presuming to dictate the terms of his life. However, Walt has never gotten over the fact that he co-founded Gray Matter as a young scientist and then left it. His need for recognition overpowers his more sympathetic drive to set his family up financially. As he tells Jesse of his deal with Declan: “You asked me if I was in the meth business or the money business. Neither. I’m in the empire business.”

Pretty sure Grey Matter has done its job in the breaking bad story.
You're exactly right, I just would like to see some closure with the characters in a way. Mainly Walt and Gretchen.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #9662
    GreyBlueEyes_81
    Dick

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deadendstreet View Post
    I had a thought. Just in case, I'll post it as a spoiler even though it's just a prediction.

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    Or maybe he's just pissed they didn't do what they said they would do. Its pretty clear Walt blames Jesse for everything that's just happened.
    GreyBlueEyes_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #9663
    dvalukis
    Em7Sus4

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

(Just a quick side-note, nobody is going to New Hampshire. Hopefully people have been saying it as a euphemism for 'Walt on the run'.)

dvalukis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #9664
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Gilligan interview pre-season 5. Revisiting the backstory has been discussed.

Q.
    Given that Walt and Jesse know even less about Gus, and don’t know why he was so important that the cartel could not kill him, could their assassination of him come back to haunt them?

A.
    That’s a good question. We will be getting into that when the writers’ room reopens in November. But I can think of one gentleman who may have a problem with it, who’s a bit closer to home, who is Mike, played by Jonathan Banks. [laughs heartily] Mike may have a problem with what transpired, and I wouldn’t want Mike mad at me, I can tell you that.

Giancarlo Stanton (pre season 5):

http://seriable.com/breaking-bad-gia...come-to-light/

Both Vince and Giancarlo have admitted that revisiting is a possibility. With Walt's family in likely danger and with Gilligan's promise for no loose ends...we will see.
    Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #9665
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

yea but there is not a loose end anymore. Walt just proved the previous cartel statement wrong, and now he is dead. No loose end.

And his assassination is coming back to haunt them, since he's died and Walt was on top look at the shit show that happened.

Last edited by DIDriveOut2SPAC; 09-17-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #9666
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Christ...
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #9667
    RichieSSC

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfilatov View Post
    Gilligan interview pre-season 5. Revisiting the backstory has been discussed.

Q.
    Given that Walt and Jesse know even less about Gus, and don’t know why he was so important that the cartel could not kill him, could their assassination of him come back to haunt them?

A.
    That’s a good question. We will be getting into that when the writers’ room reopens in November. But I can think of one gentleman who may have a problem with it, who’s a bit closer to home, who is Mike, played by Jonathan Banks. [laughs heartily] Mike may have a problem with what transpired, and I wouldn’t want Mike mad at me, I can tell you that.

Giancarlo Stanton (pre season 5):

http://seriable.com/breaking-bad-gia...come-to-light/

Both Vince and Giancarlo have admitted that revisiting is a possibility. With Walt's family in likely danger and with Gilligan's promise for no loose ends...we will see.
    Not to go elitist, but are you referring to the Giancarlo Stanton who plays second base for the Marlins, or Giancarlo Esposito who played Gus Fring?
    RichieSSC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #9668
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichieSSC View Post
    Not to go elitist, but are you referring to the Giancarlo Stanton who plays second base for the Marlins, or Giancarlo Esposito who played Gus Fring?
    Not to go normal person, but why the hell would Stanton have ever been an option?

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #9669
    Haiku Jimi

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    If Walt cared about his family he'd have accepted Gretchen and Elliot's offer from the start: legal, clean money and security for his family. He cared more about himself and his ego so he cooked poison and murdered people and put everyone around him, including his family, in danger so that it would be His work and His money and His legacy god damn it (it's suggested that this pride is what led him to split with Gray Matter in the first place).
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    Walt's two biggest lies ere his WW/Heisenberg compartmentalization and "I'm doing _______ b/c I have no other choice, for my family!!" Those twin delusions allowed him to go so far before reality and his conscience finally caught up to him last night. I think Walt told himself he did what he did for them, but I think in the back of his mind and through his actions it's fairly clearly driven by pride.
    Great posts. I do think he cares about his family, but like you said, the other compartmentalized side of him was driven by pride and ambition, no matter the cost.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    maybe thats what happens after a few months away. he may learn that Jesse's enslaved and being tortured, and the time away from his family may make Walt realize and digest what he's become
    I can see this happening. I've gone back and forth on who to "root" for in the last several episodes, from Jesse, to Walt & Skyler, to Hank and back again. But it seems like Walt will rise up as the protagonist.
    Haiku Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #9670
    jasonfilatov

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    ha ha ha. my bad.
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #9671
    jasonfilatov

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Christ...
    I had to respond to your rebuttal. I'm done. Christ me on Monday.
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #9672
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

This cartel thing is funny to me. That is all
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #9673
    RichieSSC

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheDMBFan View Post
    Not to go normal person, but why the hell would Stanton have ever been an option?
    Because he wrote Giancarlo Stanton in his post and there had been a lot of Latino cartel guys running around over the last 5 seasons so I wanted to make sure "Giancarlo Stanton" didn't get some sweet cameo that I missed.
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #9674
    cruscott35

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Stanton plays RF. Carry on correcting someone with misinformation.

No way the Gus story comes back up, and honestly there seems to be one person left in the world who would give a shit.
    cruscott35 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #9675
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I had to respond to your rebuttal. I'm done. Christ me on Monday.
    Christ...
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #9676
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think saving Jesse is a big concern for Walt at this point. Even after all the trauma that Jesse has gone through because of Walt, he's still responsible for everything that has recently occurred. Walt was out of the business, as was Jesse. Jesse went around throwing money, got picked up by the feds, and everything went downhill for Walt from there.

I personally don't see Walt and Jesse ending on good terms. I think it'll be more of a "You go your way, I'll go mine" type of deal.
    Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #9677
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I just had lunch with a buddy who's also a BB fanatic. He told me he heard the writers/creators/someone along those lines talk about how Todd is a representation of the late/crappy fans (people who miss the deeper meanings) of the show. Just with the way Todd was late arriving in the series (similar to fans who show up after it's crazy popular) and only views Walter as a badass, thug, OG kind of guy and miss the entire character development of the show. It was an interesting theory.

He also told me the writers, story arc aside, made Walt's phone call to Skylar as an answer to all the people who hate her. He said the writers constructed that phone call in a way that mocked/mimicked what a lot of the Skylar haters have said to be a subliminal diss towards them.

He also showed me an article about how the Holly momma scene was completely unscripted to work like that. They were filming it to be Walt changing her and having a moment and the child's actual mother was standing behind Cranston out of the shot and she started doing that and Cranston saw the value and seized the moment. Luckily they were able to film it and it really made for a great scene.

Obviously we had a pretty fanboy lunch haha
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #9678
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

I mean the way I see it, Jesse would likely be dead about 7 times by this point if it wasn't for Walt. I know Walt has absolutely crossed some serious lines to do such, but I just keep going back and forth between liking and disliking Jesse.

As a matter of fact, I keep doing that for every character in this show (except for Marie)
    Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #9679
    smokew11
    1-0

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jek3295 View Post
    Here's a montage of the last episode with Cranston's reading of "Ozymandias"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMySF...ature=youtu.be

Chills.
    damn that was good

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    Im just a sucker for flashbacks. I loved the Season 3 finale cold open (young Walt and Skyler looking at buying the house) and the scene with Walt and Gretchen breaking down the elements of a human
    stuff like that really makes you think Gilligan had a lot of this planned out, because it was almost the same exact scene as when Walt went back to the house after it was condemned
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #9680
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I just had lunch with a buddy who's also a BB fanatic. He told me he heard the writers/creators/someone along those lines talk about how Todd is a representation of the late/crappy fans (people who miss the deeper meanings) of the show. Just with the way Todd was late arriving in the series (similar to fans who show up after it's crazy popular) and only views Walter as a badass, thug, OG kind of guy and miss the entire character development of the show. It was an interesting theory.

He also told me the writers, story arc aside, made Walt's phone call to Skylar as an answer to all the people who hate her. He said the writers constructed that phone call in a way that mocked/mimicked what a lot of the Skylar haters have said to be a subliminal diss towards them.

He also showed me an article about how the Holly momma scene was completely unscripted to work like that. They were filming it to be Walt changing her and having a moment and the child's actual mother was standing behind Cranston out of the shot and she started doing that and Cranston saw the value and seized the moment. Luckily they were able to film it and it really made for a great scene.

Obviously we had a pretty fanboy lunch haha
    This is all on the BrBa podcast
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #9681
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The flashback in Hermanos took place before Mike, before Lydia, back when Gus was originally trying to start up his meth business. Direct quote from Don Eladio, "The only reason you alive and he is not...is because I know you are." Therefore, Gus's back story has to have importance.

There have been a variety of hints throughout the series that Gus is untouchable for an unexplained reason relating to his roots. Even the drug cartel wouldn't kill him...and they had every reason to get rid of him to take over the meth business.

This has to be tied up. There has to be a reason nobody could kill Gus. It was not out of fear of Mike Ehrmantraut and his 11 guys, it was fear of something else.

I'm not saying that a new villain is going to be introduced, but I do think an extension of Gus could come in with a vengance in these last two episodes.
    Quote:
    Don Eladio ending it with "But you're not in Chile, anymore" ties up the loose end. As in "I gave you a pass, but from here on out whatever pull you had in Chile is irrelevant."

Any reluctance to kill him after that stemmed from the millions of dollars he was making them.
    I remember reading a few things that the Chile thing was pretty clearly (if you knew some history, which I didn't) ties to Pinochet.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #9682
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I almost wish the momma scene weren't there. Or maybe the scene was but she didn't actually say it. Like we got the picture that Holly was uncomfortable with Walt.

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #9683
    jek3295

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

To those of you who watched the teaser for the next episode--

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    jek3295 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #9684
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Walt gon' use dat big gun to take out Jesse. Overkill Capt. Cook.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #9685
    RichieSSC

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cruscott35 View Post
    Stanton plays RF. Carry on correcting someone with misinformation.
    Your right, I was confusing him with Altuve from the Astros.
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #9686
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    I almost wish the momma scene weren't there. Or maybe the scene was but she didn't actually say it. Like we got the picture that Holly was uncomfortable with Walt.
    I don't follow you. That scene was amazing. Why would you not want that scene?
    Old 09-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #9687
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
    I don't follow you. That scene was amazing. Why would you not want that scene?
    Just thought the "momma" was a overkill. Holly already looked pretty terrified of her father.

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #9688
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

My wife (a new mommy as of 8 months ago) randomly watched her first episode of Breaking Bad with me this past weekend, just on a whim. She left the room crying at the Holly saying "momma" scene. It was pretty damn impactful.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #9689
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    Just thought the "momma" was a overkill. Holly already looked pretty terrified of her father.
    that wasn't planned, she just said it..i thought it was a cool scene

http://i.imgur.com/hkH1IKx.jpg
    Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #9690
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Christ...
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote