***Official Ants Photography Thread*** - Page 123 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #3661
rmp207

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Ants Photography Thread***

I have a few more shots up and was hoping to get some opinions...
Thanks.

http://www.dreamingrey.com/Days-long-past-1/
rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #3662
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmp207 View Post
    I have a few more shots up and was hoping to get some opinions...
    Thanks.

http://www.dreamingrey.com/Days-long-past-1/
    Not bad. Compositions are clean, which is good.
    Benny003 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #3663
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    Maybe just pick up the kit with this new 18-135 (they seem to be selling just fine on the used market if you decided you don't like it). Pop a few hundred shots through it in your normal venues. Then search your image library for the focal length you're using the most. If you don't like the kit lens, sell it and move to a lens you are shooting in the range of according to your photos. That's probably the "right" way to do it. The fast fifties are so cheap that it's tough not to just get one no matter what.
    I took this approach and figured it out. Appreciate the "do your homework" assignment

Typically I'm shooting ~28-35mm equivalent on a full frame with my s95 and the occasional zoom to 85-105mm (because it's an f/2-4.9 on a 6mm-22.5mm IS with a 4.667 crop factor)

I hate being slower f/2 in most cases with this camera, though I think this camera is sharpest around f/4 and I typically stop down the 28mm down to f/4 for landscapes.

With that said the 10-22mm will give me 16-35mm, the 50mm prime will give me 80mm. I don't really see the need for the kit 18-135mm, as I'd only really be using it at 60-135mm.

Not sure I'm going to "want" extra zoom or not. I feel like it'd be nice to have for potential wildlife in Africa, but I rarely shoot that length due to the slower speeds.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #3664
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Good deal man, glad that helps. It's good advice and wish I could claim it but I've seen it given many times to others.

Have you looked into renting a long f2.8 or f4 telephoto while you're there? It seems like something that might be worth a hundred or two bucks if you are going to get the chance to capture wildlife.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #3665
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Good deal man, glad that helps. It's good advice and wish I could claim it but I've seen it given many times to others.

Have you looked into renting a long f2.8 or f4 telephoto while you're there? It seems like something that might be worth a hundred or two bucks if you are going to get the chance to capture wildlife.
    i have not. i'm not entirely sure what i'll be able to see, just that ill be in a "car" shooting through a window, which isn't ideal. nor do i want to lug around a telephoto ion poverty stricken areas

the 17-55mm f/2.8 is enticing used, as my only lens, though from the review i've been reading dust is an issue. its really the same price as the 10-22mm (used) and 50mm (new) combined

Last edited by unccrombie; 07-16-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #3666
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    the 17-55mm f/2.8 is enticing used, as my only lens, though from the review i've been reading dust is an issue. its really the same price as the 10-22mm (used) and 50mm (new) combined
    I Think I've solved my dilema overall, but wanted a final opinion.

I want to stick with the t6s. I can't seem to find a used sl1 with acceptable quality and anything below a 60d (or t4i) can't utilize STM.

I'm heavily leaning toward the 15-85mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6. It gives me a wide angle use, while some option on the telephoto end. Compared to the 18-135 STM kit lens, it's sharper and has much less CA. It's also a wider aperture than the 10-22mm USM at the given lengths. So, I technically get 2 lenses in 1

Downside is video. Focusing is going to be noisy without STM. I don't take a lot of video, as is, so perhaps I forgo that for the time being. The video I do take is hand held, typically of my dog running around at a distance where I don't do a lot of zooming (it's noisy and jerky on the s95)
    Old 07-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #3667
    skwormin
    CUBS WS CHAMPS

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Bruce Hornsby last week

http://festivalfootprints.com/2015/07/brucehornsby/

such a fun show
    skwormin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #3668
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I Think I've solved my dilema overall, but wanted a final opinion.

I want to stick with the t6s. I can't seem to find a used sl1 with acceptable quality and anything below a 60d (or t4i) can't utilize STM.

I'm heavily leaning toward the 15-85mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6. It gives me a wide angle use, while some option on the telephoto end. Compared to the 18-135 STM kit lens, it's sharper and has much less CA. It's also a wider aperture than the 10-22mm USM at the given lengths. So, I technically get 2 lenses in 1

Downside is video. Focusing is going to be noisy without STM. I don't take a lot of video, as is, so perhaps I forgo that for the time being. The video I do take is hand held, typically of my dog running around at a distance where I don't do a lot of zooming (it's noisy and jerky on the s95)
    Sounds like a plan. Curious to see how that 15-85 handles the concerts. Can't wait to see your travel shots and hear how it all works out man.
    Old 07-20-2015, 05:19 AM   #3669
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sounds like a plan. Curious to see how that 15-85 handles the concerts. Can't wait to see your travel shots and hear how it all works out man.
    a friend is letting me borrow a 50 f/1.4 while traveling. If I like it, Christmas present. I was hesitant to buy the 50 with a crop sensor upfront.

Last edited by unccrombie; 07-20-2015 at 05:21 AM.
    Old 07-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #3670
    skwormin
    CUBS WS CHAMPS

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    a friend is letting me borrow a 50 f/1.4 while traveling. If I like it, Christmas present. I was hesitant to buy the 50 with a crop sensor upfront.
    the new Canon 50mm 1.4 is awesome. I use it almost exclusively when I shoot at Red Rocks.

15-85mm at 3.5-5.6 is not going to get you very far in low light.
    Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #3671
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skwormin View Post
    the new Canon 50mm 1.4 is awesome. I use it almost exclusively when I shoot at Red Rocks.

15-85mm at 3.5-5.6 is not going to get you very far in low light.
    right, but it will do just fine for landscapes/tripod night shots and general purpose stuff. Couple that with the 1.4 and I'll be set for Africa. 50mm on a crop will take some getting use to.
    Old 07-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #3672
    skwormin
    CUBS WS CHAMPS

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    right, but it will do just fine for landscapes/tripod night shots and general purpose stuff. Couple that with the 1.4 and I'll be set for Africa. 50mm on a crop will take some getting use to.
    oh yeah, it will be great for that. Especially if doing night shots with a Tripod, you should be golden.
    Old 07-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #3673
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skwormin View Post
    oh yeah, it will be great for that. Especially if doing night shots with a Tripod, you should be golden.

hoping it all works out. bummer i won't have a telephoto option, but I had to make some concession as cost was a huge driver.
    Old 07-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #3674
    twz22
    It's a boy

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what are you planning on shooting in Africa? you'll be fine landscape-wise but 85mm won't get you anywhere close for wildlife.

granted, you should have decent light, but when i shot in costa rica and rwanda i had my 80-200 2.8 racked out almost all the time. when i wasn't in a forest i switched to my 300.
    twz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #3675
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twz22 View Post
    what are you planning on shooting in Africa? you'll be fine landscape-wise but 85mm won't get you anywhere close for wildlife.

granted, you should have decent light, but when i shot in costa rica and rwanda i had my 80-200 2.8 racked out almost all the time. when i wasn't in a forest i switched to my 300.
    Landscapes, potraits, and street.

Im not sure what to expect on safari. We're going to be in the jeep with windows 80% of the time, so not sure how that would work with a 200-400mm lens.

Am I making a horrible decision here?
    Old 07-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #3676
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Landscapes, potraits, and street.

Im not sure what to expect on safari. We're going to be in the jeep with windows 80% of the time, so not sure how that would work with a 200-400mm lens.

Am I making a horrible decision here?
    If I was going on a jeep safari, in Africa then there's no way I'm not bringing a lot of reach, IS and fast. Fast so you can have your ISO low and your shutter fast to compensate for possible platform and subject movement.

Then again, I'm probably going to go once in my lifetime on an African safari.

Then 70-200 f2.8 IS is $63 for four days from Lens Rental. Now I don't know the logistics and would expect there to be more to it than that to get it to and from you in Africa but I can't believe they don't do this all the time. Even if it was a couple hundred I'd probably still do it (again, once in a lifetime thing). You also need to have enough room on a credit card to cover the lens value (that one is a couple grand).

That's just my opinion of course and I think 320mm of reach might even be a bit short for what I'd want to try depending on how good the drivers are. Definitely fast and definitely IS though. Hell, I'd also bring a monopod if I was sure the vehicle could handle it (assuming the Jeep's top is off and you're in a safari top.

Take all that with a grain of salt, if you think you'll be back there again; that would definitely change things.

You could find a 55-250 IS II used cheap even (it's not fast though of course). It's really a great lens for the couple hundred (or less that'll it'll cost you). Hell, sell it for a loss when you get home and it'll EASILY pay for the shots you get with it.

EDIT: Remember this stuff is really personal too. A few hundred dollars to me would be totally worth it getting just ONE shot that I'd be happy to print and hang. That's me though as well. Maybe you don't care all that much about that subject matter.

Last edited by diableri; 07-20-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    Old 07-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #3677
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Part of the problem is weight, space, and privacy restrictions.

There is a decent amount of theft in the villages to which we are going during the first week. Secondly, there are no safes to store my stuff. I have to leave it among the people. That alone is deterring me from higher priced items. Rented items, having to cover the full value, is not going to happen and I feel really uncomfortable thinking about the logistics (it's an hour in to town).

The safari itself is at Masai Mara.

I could probably order the 55-250 IS STM for $160 refurbished through amazon, and sell it when I get home. I never shoot telephoto, and I've already spent a good amount on my other items. It's like 1lb and 4.5". I only have 2 suitcases for 3 weeks. Space is at a premium, especially with a tripod in tow.

What I don't want is to miss "the" shot.
    Old 07-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #3678
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Part of the problem is weight, space, and privacy restrictions.

There is a decent amount of theft in the villages to which we are going during the first week. Secondly, there are no safes to store my stuff. I have to leave it among the people. That alone is deterring me from higher priced items. Rented items, having to cover the full value, is not going to happen and I feel really uncomfortable thinking about the logistics (it's an hour in to town).

The safari itself is at Masai Mara.

I could probably order the 55-250 IS STM for $160 refurbished through amazon, and sell it when I get home. I never shoot telephoto, and I've already spent a good amount on my other items. It's like 1lb and 4.5". I only have 2 suitcases for 3 weeks. Space is at a premium, especially with a tripod in tow.

What I don't want is to miss "the" shot.
    There will always be times you won't have the right lens on or with you during a long trip. It's going to happen (or the moment is just too fast/surprises you). Best you can do anticipate as best you can and if money, weight, space or safety doesn't allow it; nothing you can do. You also don't want to get viewfinder-itis on a trip like this. Be sure to not stay looking through the lens.

I'd encourage you to at least take the 55-250 (be sure it's at least the IS II model) if at all possible. It's cheap, if you drop, destroy or lose it to theft then at least you're not out a huge amount of cash. It's not that large and heavy compared to the fast teles. I tend to wear a belt and holster for my tele and it's not too much of a problem. If you're wearing a pack you can do it on one of your straps on the chest but that sometimes gets in the way of a solid grip depending on where it lands.

Even if you sell it for a $100 I doubt you'll be sorry you took it at least on the safari ride. Practice shooting with it a bit at the long end since you say you haven't done that much. You'll be shakey and it'll take a bit to get your hold in shape for it but it's not difficult, just different. I have a feeling you'll want to keep it after using it a bit and getting used to it.

Can't wait to see your trip now dude. Wish I was going.

Last edited by diableri; 07-20-2015 at 10:49 PM.
    Old 07-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #3679
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Oh, one other thing that you may have already thought of... if you're not going to bring a monopod in the jeep then a bean bag would be a great compromise and you don't even have to bring a bean bag. Just bring a large ziplock, fill it with sand when you get there and put it on the door frame or the bars of the jeep if it's (hopefully) open top.
    Old 07-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #3680
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Alright, trusting the collective group on this one. Ordered.

edit: yeah, sandbag for the hood. american sniper style. read about doing that

I can not spend any more money

Last edited by unccrombie; 07-20-2015 at 11:09 PM.
    Old 07-21-2015, 04:32 AM   #3681
    twz22
    It's a boy

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alright, trusting the collective group on this one. Ordered.

edit: yeah, sandbag for the hood. american sniper style. read about doing that

I can not spend any more money
    good call. out in the open on safari available light should be good so the slower lens won't hold you back too much.

but definitely practice shooting at the long end - it does take some getting used to.

good luck!
    twz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #3682
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

The money and worry about theft sucks cause I'd probably go nicer for something like that. I've got a 55-200 which is good but gets fuzzy at the long end. The nicer one mentioned would have been better but I get why not. I'd never be able to do a safari cause my anal retentiveness would get in the way and the zoom would probably not be up to my standards and couldn't afford the thousands for a nice 400mm+. At least based off my assumptions of how close you'd be. I'm sure you've said, but when do you go?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2015, 05:53 AM   #3683
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    The money and worry about theft sucks cause I'd probably go nicer for something like that. I've got a 55-200 which is good but gets fuzzy at the long end. The nicer one mentioned would have been better but I get why not. I'd never be able to do a safari cause my anal retentiveness would get in the way and the zoom would probably not be up to my standards and couldn't afford the thousands for a nice 400mm+. At least based off my assumptions of how close you'd be. I'm sure you've said, but when do you go?
    It's the real downside. Having to travel with $1200 in gear, as is, is making me really uneasy. Plus, space is at a premium when you're checking 2 bags for 3 weeks and need to bring food, medicines, etc. I agree, a nicer zoom would have been great to have...but (my soon to be fiance and I) need to buy furniture for our townhouse (not to mention I need to buy a ring). If she finds out I spent $500-700+ on a zoom lens...yeah. You have to draw the line in the sand somewhere.

I leave Sunday afternoon.
    Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 AM   #3684
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's the real downside. Having to travel with $1200 in gear, as is, is making me really uneasy. Plus, space is at a premium when you're checking 2 bags for 3 weeks and need to bring food, medicines, etc. I agree, a nicer zoom would have been great to have...but (my soon to be fiance and I) need to buy furniture for our townhouse (not to mention I need to buy a ring). If she finds out I spent $500-700+ on a zoom lens...yeah. You have to draw the line in the sand somewhere.

I leave Sunday afternoon.
    Fuck furniture. lol No I understand. I got my extra lenses (outside of the 18-55 kit) pretty cheap and my wife still bitched. What I want for Disney is an 18-250 so I can both walk around with it and do the safari. Odds that happens? .000001%

Have fun man and safe travels. Can't wait for the pics.

Quote:
    Old 07-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #3685
    mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Most recent post from the trip... Loving the minimal setup.

http://matt-he-wanders-on.com/excerpts-from-rotterdam/
    Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #3686
    JCpatriot66

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Just picked up the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8. Loving it so far, very sharp.
    JCpatriot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #3687
    mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

A fun iPhone shot... http://matt-he-wanders-on.com/praying-mantis/
    Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #3688
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Just came across this web app that parses your lightroom data (just drag and drop your lr.cat. Like the conversation earlier in the thread where it might be beneficial to see what you've shot over time it's a great solution.

https://www.lightroomdashboard.com
    Old 09-01-2015, 04:45 AM   #3689
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

finally moved in to the new townhouse.
    hoping to edit some photos from Africa this weekend.

The new SanDisk card I bought (extreme pro) died after ~1,000 shots
    I ended up losing about 150 photos of us with lemurs and lions because the card is unreadable
    unreal. literally happened during shooting so I'm wondering if there was a read/write error
    Old 09-01-2015, 05:39 AM   #3690
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

ew shit. Sorry dude. I'd be beyond pissed.

Quote:

Tags
    photography