DMB - January 2012 Studio Sessions - Page 46 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #1351
holdyouclose
==============

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB - January 2012 Studio Sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTP13 View Post
To each their own. I disagree.

This argument has been beat to death though so let's leave it at that.
I hear ya, and I'm not one the people that say it just cuz it's Leroi, it's not a Jeff v. Leroi thing for me, Ants is just that Leroi song for me, that's all....
holdyouclose is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #1352
    Griffin

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGTP13 View Post
    People seem to have an impression that if what Jeff does doesn't sound like Roi, then it isn't good music. Jeff doesn't have to play/sound like Roi in order to make good music.

People also talk about how they want the "90s sound". Could someone describe what the "90s sound". Each of the Big 3 sound significantly different from each other.

My point is, is that they don't need to recreate the "DMB sound" or have Jeff sound like Roi in order to make great music.

the 90's sound is acoustic guitar and drum solo , as stated by Steve Lillywhite. That is why I'm excited with fingers crossed. If they get that right I'm sure everything and everyone else will be fine.
    Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #1353
    Mattardz

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I'm one of a new era I guess. Been to 8 full band shows, but they were all in 2010/2011 so I never got to see Leroi. I wish I could have seen him at least once. But I have no problem with Jeff, I'm just glad they are all in the studio. But I am more easily pleased than most others here, hahaha
    Old 01-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #1354
    davetripping02
    Good Good Time

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Roi was soulful and from his heart. I think some of his troubled soul that dave has mentioned at times about Roi, it sang from his sax on stage. Jeff is in your face and get you riled up dancing sax playing but we all know that Jeff can do soulful playing. There should be no way of us complaining about Jeff because ( we all obv miss the presence of Roi and his love for music), the band could of easily fell apart and never did a live concert again after that but jeff and rashawn stepped in and are amazing musicians. Be grateful for what we are able to hear and see... and now Lillywhite is back
    davetripping02 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #1355
    tofixyou
    I'll need a hammer

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    the 90's sound is acoustic guitar and drum solo , as stated by Steve Lillywhite. That is why I'm excited with fingers crossed. If they get that right I'm sure everything and everyone else will be fine.
    If they commit to lillywhite, and to themselves, they'll get make a great album. I'm in agreement with your 90's sound assessment. Lillywhite left, Dave went with some really poppy producers, Music lost it's soul. Lillywhite's a great producer because he finds that, soul and Jeff has soul, it's just not Roi. It can still be great, but it will be different. I preferred Roi but we havent seen the best of Coffin yet with Dave either. I'm looking forward to this happening.
    Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #1356
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not going to get into the finer points of the Jeff vs. Roi argument.. I'll just say that Jeff isn't Roi and he hasn't tried to be and I don't think he should. Trying to emulate Roi as a player would just be a slap in the face to how unique Roi's sound was, and wouldn't solve the 'but he's not Roi' problem people have when listening to post 2008 DMB. For the life of me, I am just baffled at how much people who are still around and into the band to go backwards. I get the song quality issue of the 2000's but just in terms of sound, they're not going back and if it bothers one that much, I don't understand why one would still stick around.
    Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #1357
    mja271
    Big Mike

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobbtheRevelatr View Post
    I'm not going to get into the finer points of the Jeff vs. Roi argument.. I'll just say that Jeff isn't Roi and he hasn't tried to be and I don't think he should. Trying to emulate Roi as a player would just be a slap in the face to how unique Roi's sound was, and wouldn't solve the 'but he's not Roi' problem people have when listening to post 2008 DMB. For the life of me, I am just baffled at how much people who are still around and into the band to go backwards. I get the song quality issue of the 2000's but just in terms of sound, they're not going back and if it bothers one that much, I don't understand why one would still stick around.
    Agreed. The band is totally different now, Roi's been gone for over 3 years, and it's just a different group now. Too many people get hung up on what they want them to be than what they actually are.
    Say a prayer for my soul señorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #1358
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    100 percent agree. . Not to mention overall sonically, they absolutely blow the later Butch years dmb out of the water, it's not even close. My only wish, is Dave would be busier on his guitar, that is all.
    Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #1359
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    100 percent agree. . Not to mention overall sonically, they absolutely blow the later Butch years dmb out of the water, it's not even close. My only wish, is Dave would be busier on his guitar, that is all.
    Very much this. Personally I much prefer where they are sonically right now over where they were in 2005-2007 (though 2006 had some good moments). I remember in 2007 even Roi was criticized for being lazy and out of it. Ideally, we would all have liked to have Roi still around as part of this rejuvenation on the band. But he is not. No matter who they got to play sax, that person would be different in style. Jeff is a very creative musician and I certainly am excited to hear what he brings to the table on his own. I also wish that Dave would attack the guitar more like the way he used to.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #1360
    yanks7533

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dramageek View Post
    Very much this. Personally I much prefer where they are sonically right now over where they were in 2005-2007 (though 2006 had some good moments). I remember in 2007 even Roi was criticized for being lazy and out of it. Ideally, we would all have liked to have Roi still around as part of this rejuvenation on the band. But he is not. No matter who they got to play sax, that person would be different in style. Jeff is a very creative musician and I certainly am excited to hear what he brings to the table on his own. I also wish that Dave would attack the guitar more like the way he used to.
    Spot on for me...sonically 04-07 was awful, and I was very critical of roi during that period, simply because he wasn't very good during that period and it really limited the band's improv. I think even roi felt his way because he wanted to bring rashawn in and we all now know roi was extremely hard on himself.

I've also said many times that Dave is simply a lazy musician. His guitar work in the 90's was flat out awesome whether it be live or written. He's using tim as a crutch way too much and is usually turned down in the live mix. i want to see him get more aggressive again because let's face it, we love alot of dmb's music because of the riffs he wrote.
    yanks7533 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #1361
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yanks7533 View Post
    Spot on for me...sonically 04-07 was awful, and I was very critical of roi during that period, simply because he wasn't very good during that period and it really limited the band's improv. I think even roi felt his way because he wanted to bring rashawn in and we all now know roi was extremely hard on himself.

I've also said many times that Dave is simply a lazy musician. His guitar work in the 90's was flat out awesome whether it be live or written. He's using tim as a crutch way too much and is usually turned down in the live mix. i want to see him get more aggressive again because let's face it, we love alot of dmb's music because of the riffs he wrote.
    Actually, I thought 2004 was relatively good, but I hear you. When Butch was around, Dave used him as a crutch, too.

No doubt Dave had become lazy. Something I wonder about: in the early days he had people like Ross Hoffman and John D'Earth who really encouraged and pushed him as a songwriter. How necessary we're such individuals to Dave's songwriting? I'd like to think he doesn't necessarily need those guiding forces because he wrote some great songs on BTCS and tLWS without them. But ever since then we all can see the struggle to get even a half-decent song out.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #1362
    Luv4Roi

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Actually, I thought 2004 was relatively good, but I hear you. When Butch was around, Dave used him as a crutch, too.

No doubt Dave had become lazy. Something I wonder about: in the early days he had people like Ross Hoffman and John D'Earth who really encouraged and pushed him as a songwriter. How necessary we're such individuals to Dave's songwriting? I'd like to think he doesn't necessarily need those guiding forces because he wrote some great songs on BTCS and tLWS without them. But ever since then we all can see the struggle to get even a half-decent song out.
    I don't think it's all laziness. Probably more that he is no longer struggling. It was discussed recently(this thread or another, i don't even know which New Album/Lillywhite thread I'm in anymore ). But, you would think that the death of a close friend and band member would have brought out some incredible writing. Unfortunately, it didn't. Not to say BW songs weren't great, just that they could have been exponentially better. I don't know how, but Dave's gotta get back into that mindset. Maybe go live in a cabin in the woods for a few months like Bon Iver did.
    Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #1363
    MColin28

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luv4Roi View Post
    I don't think it's all laziness. Probably more that he is no longer struggling. It was discussed recently(this thread or another, i don't even know which New Album/Lillywhite thread I'm in anymore ). But, you would think that the death of a close friend and band member would have brought out some incredible writing. Unfortunately, it didn't. Not to say BW songs weren't great, just that they could have been exponentially better. I don't know how, but Dave's gotta get back into that mindset. Maybe go live in a cabin in the woods for a few months like Bon Iver did.

Great thought! Totally agree here.

I also think he should live in a cabin, where it's cold outside and the fire's bright.....would love a subtle love/one night stand song type ala Say Goodbye. That song is brilliant. Hoping for Crash Vol II
    Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #1364
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    RobbtheRevelatr always speaks the truth
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #1365
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

I think Roi disappeared a bit from 05-07 because he was the one who was pissed with the band's effort in the studio, and as we all know, these years were when all the problems in the band really got awful. Roi was such a huge part of the rejuvenation, and it really was showing in his playing in june of 08, like people have said, a great month for the band, and Roi was playing the best he had in a long, long time.
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #1366
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I particularly love Warehouse from 06, something about that year for that song was stellar.
    Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #1367
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So hard to say about 2007.. it was such a short tour. I thought the show I went to in Charlotte that year was phenomenal, mostly because Roi was spot on for that show. You can hear him and Rashawn having fun on ABI outro... the only version of that song I enjoyed because they really got into a jam at the end.
    Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #1368
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    RobbtheRevelatr always speaks the truth
    You're too kind.
    Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #1369
    luke7

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

So Lillywhite is heading to Amsterdam according to his twitter account.

SillywhiteSteve Lillywhite CBE

off to Amsterdam for a few days in the morning..

3 hours ago FavoriteRetweetReply
    luke7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #1370
    blusi

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke7 View Post

Hmm...what does that mean for the studio process? Maybe Dave and Tim do some street music...

Zürich - München - Frankfurt - Paris
    blusi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #1371
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke7 View Post

Boys must be out of good weed.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #1372
    Panther41
    Since 1995

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tofixyou View Post
    Lillywhite's a great producer because he finds that, soul and Jeff has soul, it's just not Roi. It can still be great, but it will be different. I preferred Roi but we havent seen the best of Coffin yet with Dave either. I'm looking forward to this happening.
    Now that is a really interesting perspective. I think you've got a very good point there.

(And yeah, I realize this is the antithesis of all internet comments. But it's sincere.)
    Panther41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #1373
    tmark8

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    Boys must be out of good weed.
    Man they should have came to Montana. We got plenty
    tmark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #1374
    ToddJoyride
    ain't got no shins

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmark8 View Post
    welcome to ants
    but given the choice between amsterdam and montana.. ill take amsterdam.
    ToddJoyride is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #1375
    nbroscoff

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmark8 View Post
    This is a great first post.

Tags