Doctor Who (Russell T Davies/Steven Moffat) - Page 15 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #421
JRS1386
Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Doctor Who (Russell T Davies/Steven Moffat)

Just rewatch the Season 3 finale and at the very end they show the ashes from the Masters funeral pyre and you see a hand with red nail polish pick up a ring. I can't believe they knew the Master was going to be a female regen this far in advance. Pretty cool

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #422
    jaking1185
    13 time NFL champs

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    Just rewatch the Season 3 finale and at the very end they show the ashes from the Masters funeral pyre and you see a hand with red nail polish pick up a ring. I can't believe they knew the Master was going to be a female regen this far in advance. Pretty cool
    I think that was the woman who took part in his resurrection in the Tennant finale.
    Old 12-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #423
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

yea JRS... that wasn't an early seed for "Missy".

although some of the stuff that Moffat has been able to pull off over the years isn't that far off.

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson

Last edited by junior94; 12-21-2014 at 04:36 PM.
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #424
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaking1185 View Post
    I think that was the woman who took part in his resurrection in the Tennant finale.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    yea JRS... that wasn't an early seed for "Missy".

although some of the stuff that Moffat has been able to pull off over the years isn't that far off.
    Oh darn this is only the second time through the series so a lot I have forgotten so my mind just jumped straight to Missy forgetting he was resurrected by someone else

Old 12-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #425
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

well though like I said, to be fair there is certainly precedent of Moff planning out things years in advance at times. Things that were set up way back in Matt Smith's very first episode were just fully paid off in last year's Christmas special. hell look at River Song, before he even officially took over the show. I'm not saying he had every beat of River's story already worked out, but there in an individual episode he was asked to write for RTD's series he began the set up of a character he'd be able to use again in a big way.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #426
    jaking1185
    13 time NFL champs

My Tour Central Stats

Just in time for the Christmas special, Jenna Coleman has confirmed she'll be back for next season:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2056707
    Old 12-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #427
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I enjoyed the Christmas special. It was probably middle of the road as far as Christmas eps go, definitely an improvement over last years disaster. Not too pleased about more Clara next season though. I like the character, but not when the show is more about her than the Doctor.

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #428
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

I really would have liked how they written her off too in this episode, a shame it was wasted

Old 12-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #429
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really would have liked how they written her off too in this episode, a shame it was wasted
    It would have been one of the harshest ways to write off a companion, but would have been very fitting at the same time.

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    Old 12-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #430
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Yea but if that "old Clara" had been the real ending, you're failing to acknowledge the MASSIVE plot hole that would have created. Most of the tension in the story before that comes from the fact that these characters are slowly being killed (by way of eating) by these crab monster things. There's no way that Clara would've woken up still alive 62 human years later, she would've been dead WELL before then. And don't you dare say that's a nitpick because there's no goddamn way it is

Apparently I'm in the minority for this thread of fans of liking Clara, and I'm thrilled to hear she's back for another go (and apparently the whole series, not merely "the first few episodes", as it seemed to be the case before). and it's not just because I've got a crush on her either I think she's genuinely an interesting character. And frankly, the complaint of "it's become too much about her, and not the Doctor himself"... well, but think about it. The show's 50 friggin years old now, he's had plenty of time where it's been entirely about him, and I'm sure he'll have plenty more. So I don't mind a stretch where a companion is given a significant amount of focus, as long as it's a good character, and it's not like it's left NOTHING for him.

Overall I quite liked this episode, it's not easy to have an episode be technically mostly comprised of "only a dream", but still be quality. Because for one thing it still moved the overall story forward in a big way, it got the Doctor and Clara back together. Although it did seem fairly obvious to me from pretty early on that the 4 "sleepers" in the infirmary were the science team members, and that they'd already all been attacked and captured. It's still too soon after my viewing to really know how it measures up to most of the other Christmas shows, well except of course the "Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" which was not only by far the worst Christmas show ever, but among the worst of ALL NuWho episodes.

also, nominee for best line of the entire special: Nick Frost saying (with the Peter Capaldi accent) "It's all a bit dreamy-weemy..."

Last edited by junior94; 12-26-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Old 12-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #431
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

It wouldn't be a plot hole at all. The Doctor said he was the first victim and the crabs picked Clara from his memory and got her Next. Also, we don't know how old Clara was when she was face sucked. Also the Doctor said she would always look young to him so she needed appear old in the dream state

Old 12-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #432
    jaking1185
    13 time NFL champs

My Tour Central Stats

I'm in the minority with Junior that I love Clara. She is my favorite companion of the re-launch. The series have always been told from the perspective of the companions. Without them the stories would get old quick. I am glad to see her back for another season.

This was a good episode and allowed Clara closure on Danny so she could continue on with the Doctor. It's an above average Xmas episode. My favorites are either space Titanic or Matt Smith's swansong. The Doctor, Widow and the Wardrobe is the worst.
    Old 12-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #433
    thebestauntie
    My love

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I was meh on Clara with Matt Smith, but I absolutely love her with Capaldi. I was sad to hear the rumors that she was leaving, especially now that I was finally starting to like her. I am more than happy that she is staying with the Doctor. I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. Way more than I enjoyed the final two episodes of the season. I am excited for next season.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Best team. Best city.
    thebestauntie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #434
    jaking1185
    13 time NFL champs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebestauntie View Post
    I was meh on Clara with Matt Smith, but I absolutely love her with Capaldi. I was sad to hear the rumors that she was leaving, especially now that I was finally starting to like her. I am more than happy that she is staying with the Doctor. I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. Way more than I enjoyed the final two episodes of the season. I am excited for next season.
    Without the sexual tension Clara and Capaldi can just play off each other. I love how the Doctor gives her shots about her looks all the time and that she can kind of boss him around and give him shots back.

I'm interested in seeing their relationship develop.
    Old 12-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #435
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    Yea but if that "old Clara" had been the real ending, you're failing to acknowledge the MASSIVE plot hole that would have created. Most of the tension in the story before that comes from the fact that these characters are slowly being killed (by way of eating) by these crab monster things. There's no way that Clara would've woken up still alive 62 human years later, she would've been dead WELL before then. And don't you dare say that's a nitpick because there's no goddamn way it is

Apparently I'm in the minority for this thread of fans of liking Clara, and I'm thrilled to hear she's back for another go (and apparently the whole series, not merely "the first few episodes", as it seemed to be the case before). and it's not just because I've got a crush on her either I think she's genuinely an interesting character. And frankly, the complaint of "it's become too much about her, and not the Doctor himself"... well, but think about it. The show's 50 friggin years old now, he's had plenty of time where it's been entirely about him, and I'm sure he'll have plenty more. So I don't mind a stretch where a companion is given a significant amount of focus, as long as it's a good character, and it's not like it's left NOTHING for him.

Overall I quite liked this episode, it's not easy to have an episode be technically mostly comprised of "only a dream", but still be quality. Because for one thing it still moved the overall story forward in a big way, it got the Doctor and Clara back together. Although it did seem fairly obvious to me from pretty early on that the 4 "sleepers" in the infirmary were the science team members, and that they'd already all been attacked and captured. It's still too soon after my viewing to really know how it measures up to most of the other Christmas shows, well except of course the "Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" which was not only by far the worst Christmas show ever, but among the worst of ALL NuWho episodes.

also, nominee for best line of the entire special: Nick Frost saying (with the Peter Capaldi accent) "It's all a bit dreamy-weemy..."
    It would not have been a plot hole. The idea wasn't that she had been dreaming for 62 years, the idea was that after saying goodbye in the season finale, the Doctor and Clara didn't see each other for 62 years.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #436
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My favorites are either space Titanic or Matt Smith's swansong. The Doctor, Widow and the Wardrobe is the worst.
    I love "Voyage of the Damned" and agree with you on "The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardobe" being bad, but "Time of the Doctor" may be my least favorite of the specials. The final scene in the TARDIS when the regeneration occurs was perfect in every way, but the rest of the episode was an absolute disaster.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #437
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Okay I realize you guys are right about the plot hole issues. On my first viewing I was thinking that she'd purposefully lived in the dream world for 62 years. Given of how she says to Santa when still riding the sleigh after the others have vanished "just a little while longer", then her telling the Doctor how she'd taught all over Europe and learned to fly a plane. They'd seemed like such lofty sort of ideas that she'd only pulled them off in a dream state. Plus I didn't necessarily get why it would be that when each of the others seemed to have been "chosen" all from different places but from pretty much the present day (at least there was nothing that seemed to indicate in each of their places when we saw them back home they were from a significantly different time), why Clara's would've been 62 years later. Yea I know like the Doctor says that the crabs got to her just via his memory, but it felt like that was a bit of a weak connection for why that would be.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #438
    jaking1185
    13 time NFL champs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoDaFoo View Post
    I love "Voyage of the Damned" and agree with you on "The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardobe" being bad, but "Time of the Doctor" may be my least favorite of the specials. The final scene in the TARDIS when the regeneration occurs was perfect in every way, but the rest of the episode was an absolute disaster.
    I can understand why you didn't like that episode. For me it was excellent to tie up all the loose ends of Matt Smith's Doctor. Plus how they fixed the issue of the regenerations with the new cycle was something I wasn't expecting. The final regeneration scene was the best one ever.
    Old 12-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #439
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So I was completely confused about this and I brushed it off as me forgetting because I've only seen the series once through. However I somehow skipped the last four episodes of Tennants doctor. I think they may not have been on Netflix or something. Man my heart was being ripped out seeing Tennant come to grips with his regeneration

Old 12-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #440
    jaking1185
    13 time NFL champs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So I was completely confused about this and I brushed it off as me forgetting because I've only seen the series once through. However I somehow skipped the last four episodes of Tennants doctor. I think they may not have been on Netflix or something. Man my heart was being ripped out seeing Tennant come to grips with his regeneration
    Yeah those last 4 episodes took over a year to air. Tennant's farewell was emotional. I liked how Smith's doctor got to give a farewell speech before he left. Wonder how they'll handle Capaldi's when the time comes?
    Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #441
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

^^^ that's partly why I'm so glad I came to this show when I did, and was able to binge from the start right toward the end of series 5 I think, is where they were at the time. Because to have been watching live back at that point, and find out that in next coming year (back in 07 or 08, whenever it was) that there was only going to be 4 episodes, and spaced so apart... ugh.

But yea it's no accident that Tennant says at the very end of the 50th anniversary special "... because I don't wanna go"

Old 01-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #442
    thebestauntie
    My love

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Without the sexual tension Clara and Capaldi can just play off each other. I love how the Doctor gives her shots about her looks all the time and that she can kind of boss him around and give him shots back.

I'm interested in seeing their relationship develop.
    It is so refreshing not having sexual chemistry to deal with between the companion and the Doctor. I also love how she bosses him around and the pot shots about her age her looks the Doctor sends her. I just love their entire relationship.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Best team. Best city.
    thebestauntie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #443
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Exactly 10 years ago today that NuWho debuted with "Rose".

a very cool, slick little fan produced video for the 10th anniversary. I mean I wouldn't have hesitated for a second to believe this was from the BBC itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvpfIjCi2bo

Old 07-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #444
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Series 9 trailer!! (with frankly more footage than I was expecting for a first one) and premiere date of September 19th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVMUPZm04MA

and yea technically there's a different thread altogether for Sherlock, but we also today get a 90 second long promo of the Christmas special! Still no exact air date, but curiously enough it will play in 'select theaters'. If you hadn't heard already, this is entirely a one-off episode, truly set back in Victorian-era London, this is all one continuous scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Asbi4APb0

Old 09-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #445
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

c'mon, where are all the rest of my fellow Whovians!

We are officially exactly one week (& a few hours) away from the series 9 premiere episode, the first half of a 2-parter called The Magician's Apprentice.

In case you hadn't heard yet, it was revealed about a week ago that River Song will be back! She's confirmed as being in this year's Christmas special, as that's just started shooting (though knowing Moff, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if she wound up making a small appearance before that in a regular episode). I've seen some theories suggesting that the character who Maisie Williams is playing in her guest starring episode is indeed a new/different incarnation of River. I don't think seeing Alex Kingston coming back to play the role sways that rumor one way or another.

They've also just released a little short film prequel for the new series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-fFyrxbSes

it shows the Doctor back on Karn, which you may recall is where Paul McGann's 8th Doctor drank the potion that regenerated him into John Hurt's War Doctor shortly before the 50th anniversary special. I've already seen plenty of people guess this "old enemy" of the Doctor's that is trying to find him will be Davros.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #446
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

^^ and btw, I absolutely love the exchange between the Doctor and that old woman in this

"You are embarking on an enterprise that will end in your destruction."

"You could say the same thing about being born."

Old 09-18-2015, 03:58 AM   #447
    jaking1185
    13 time NFL champs

My Tour Central Stats

Jenna Coleman is officially leaving Doctor Who sometime this season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...9-2fad42c46da3
    Old 09-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #448
    jaking1185
    13 time NFL champs

My Tour Central Stats

Interesting story tonight. Good to see some of the Doctor's old enemies in a new light. Wonder how this will work its way into the rest of the season.
    Old 09-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #449
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

God damn cliff hangers

Old 09-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #450
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I really, really dug it. The cliffhanger didn't surprise me at all. 20 minutes into the episode I was thinking that the scope of this story will have to stretch multiple episodes.
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    fish fingers & custard , hello sweetie , the girl who waited