Weight Loss Thread - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #121
thechad90000
You're Goddamn Right

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
Lost 50lbs in 3 months in 2011. Lost it way to fast. I was pretty obsessed. Have put quite a bit back on so have some work to do, want to lose 5lbs a month. That's a better goal.
5lbs a month is a good goal. I'm working on about 7 or so. We'll see. This one's probably gonna go slower than the initial drop.
"Her one drink had Cecelia giggling and talking and she was explaining that animals had souls too. Nobody challenged her opinion. It was possible, we knew. What we weren't sure of was if we had any. - Charles Bukowski
thechad90000 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #122
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Been working out on the bike quite a bit, eating a lot better, and I'm down maybe 15 pounds in a little over a month. Kinda slowed down a lot this last week after my concussion (couldn't exercise for a week) but today was my first day back on the bike in a week. Did 30 mins today, then 10 mins in the steam room. Felt real good to be doing some cardio work again, looking forward to dropping another 15 so I can enlist in the navy.
    Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #123
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lost 50lbs in 3 months in 2011. Lost it way to fast. I was pretty obsessed. Have put quite a bit back on so have some work to do, want to lose 5lbs a month. That's a better goal.
    Jesus, how did you do that?
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #124
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Jesus, how did you do that?
    Had a 3 month break before going back to school, was only working part time.

-did gym/yoga-3 times a week for an hour each time
    -walked 90 minutes every day after dinner except Sunday
    -cut out all meat/chicken/bread/sugar
    -drank a green vegetable drink 4 liters a day
    -soup/salad for dinner 5 nights a week
    Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #125
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Had a 3 month break before going back to school, was only working part time.

-did gym/yoga-3 times a week for an hour each time
    -walked 90 minutes every day after dinner except Sunday
    -cut out all meat/chicken/bread/sugar
    -drank a green vegetable drink 4 liters a day
    -soup/salad for dinner 5 nights a week
    No meat?
    Green vegetable drink you made yourself or?
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #126
    bartender_man

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    No meat?
    Green vegetable drink you made yourself or?

Yeah no meat, basically went vegetarian in that time. Here is the drink, it lifted my energy like crazy:

http://www.bodylab.co.nz/shop/nutrit...s/super-greens
    Old 03-25-2015, 02:11 AM   #127
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

How bad did it taste

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2015, 02:22 AM   #128
    bartender_man

My Tour Central Stats

I hated it at first but then once I got used to it, it was actually not bad at all.
    Old 03-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #129
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I got fat this winter so I started dieting/exercising the day after Valentines day. I'm down 9 pounds and 9 more to go. I've plateaued but I'm hoping that some of that is because I've added some muscle.

I'm all about counting calories. Keeps me responsible to not have that one extra beer, or one beer at all.

The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think and the more anxiously I inquire; the less I seem to know.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 AM   #130
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    Been working out on the bike quite a bit, eating a lot better, and I'm down maybe 15 pounds in a little over a month. Kinda slowed down a lot this last week after my concussion (couldn't exercise for a week) but today was my first day back on the bike in a week. Did 30 mins today, then 10 mins in the steam room. Felt real good to be doing some cardio work again, looking forward to dropping another 15 so I can enlist in the navy.
    attaboy, keep it up
    Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 AM   #131
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I posed this in the weightlifting thread but I'll ask here too:

My diet has never been spectacular, not bad just not perfect. I eat lots of vegetables, fruits and stick to turkey or chicken. Don't eat too much greasy/fried foods but you gotta treat yourself sometimes.

Saying that it's remained pretty consistent but the only thing I've changed is every morning for breakfast I eat a bowl of oats with raisins and honey. Gives me the energy to make it to lunch. But lately I've really noticed my waistline expanding. Granted, I lift weights and drink protein shakes every day but is the oatmeal causing my waist to expand or do I need to more closely monitor my cheat days?

Last edited by WidespreadMule3; 03-25-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #132
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I posed this in the weightlifting thread but I'll ask here too:

My diet has never been spectacular, not bad just not perfect. I eat lots of vegetables, fruits and stick to turkey or chicken. Don't eat too much greasy/fried foods but you gotta treat yourself sometimes.

Saying that it's remained pretty consistent but the only thing I've changed is every morning for breakfast I eat a bowl of oats with raisins and honey. Gives me the energy to make it to lunch. But lately I've really noticed my waistline expanding. Granted, I lift weights and drink protein shakes every day but is the oatmeal causing my waist to expand or do I need to more closely monitor my cheat days?
    i dont think oatmeal is the problem. if anything, adding a low-calorie and healthy breakfast would help increase your metabolism. i would look closer at what else you're eating. a lot of people believe that they eat "junk food" in moderation, not realizing that half of the stuff they are eating is highly processed, has a high sugar content, etc. there has been a lot of research on how regular consumption of just a small amount of lower-quality foods can affect weight change overtime (one study found that over 20 years, people that were eating ONE serving of potato chips a day, which is probably like 150 calories, gained about 20 lbs).

a general rule of thumb is the 2nd-ingredient rule- start checking out the ingredients on the back of cereals, granola bars, etc that you might eat. if refined sugar (corn syrup, fructose, dextrose, etc) is one of the first 2 ingredients listed, consider having something else.

another major thing is to check your portion sizes (measure out oil when cooking, etc). you could be adding a lot of calories to a salad by adding too much dressing

in general, i think you are much better off having a small healthy breakfast and trying to adjust other parts of your diet, and i think that will help you get to where you want to be

Last edited by laura22; 03-25-2015 at 09:30 AM.
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #133
    artiej1120

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I'm back on the weight loss horse. Dropped a ton of weight two years ago for my sister's wedding, but have gained some of it back since. I've been doing lots of HIIT training, some weight training, and some steady state cardio. My eating habits are MUCH better lately with lean meats/fish, good carbs, and lots more veggies. Started two weeks ago and this morning put on a pair of pants that I couldn't even button when I started. Only thing that sucks is I pulled a muscle in my calf doing high knees so my HIIT workouts have been scaled back or altered a bit. But it feels great being back on the health kick!
    artiej1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #134
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for the advice laura.
    Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #135
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    i dont think oatmeal is the problem. if anything, adding a low-calorie and healthy breakfast would help increase your metabolism. i would look closer at what else you're eating. a lot of people believe that they eat "junk food" in moderation, not realizing that half of the stuff they are eating is highly processed, has a high sugar content, etc. there has been a lot of research on how regular consumption of just a small amount of lower-quality foods can affect weight change overtime (one study found that over 20 years, people that were eating ONE serving of potato chips a day, which is probably like 150 calories, gained about 20 lbs).

a general rule of thumb is the 2nd-ingredient rule- start checking out the ingredients on the back of cereals, granola bars, etc that you might eat. if refined sugar (corn syrup, fructose, dextrose, etc) is one of the first 2 ingredients listed, consider having something else.

another major thing is to check your portion sizes (measure out oil when cooking, etc). you could be adding a lot of calories to a salad by adding too much dressing

in general, i think you are much better off having a small healthy breakfast and trying to adjust other parts of your diet, and i think that will help you get to where you want to be

I've been trying to implement a lot of this over the past month and it really helps a ton. Portion sizes particularly. You really don't need a third, or usually even a second, slice of pizza. I've been a fast water my whole life. I've focused on slowing down eating, and I find I'm actually full halfway before I used to be full. It helps.
    Old 03-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #136
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    I've been trying to implement a lot of this over the past month and it really helps a ton. Portion sizes particularly. You really don't need a third, or usually even a second, slice of pizza. I've been a fast water my whole life. I've focused on slowing down eating, and I find I'm actually full halfway before I used to be full. It helps.

i love research so i apologize for bringing up another study, but this one was pretty interesting. the subjects were men and women (who were not overwight), who were fed a standard breakfast and asked to report their hunger level. an hour later they were shown their favorite food, and then asked again to rate their hunger level. on a separate occasion, they were shown a food that they did not like and were asked to rate their hunger level. it turned out that when they were presented with the appealing food, there was a spike in gherlin (a hunger hormone), and they reported to have an appetite. but they had no appetite and no gherlin spike when they were presented with the unappetizing food.

it just goes to show that often, when you think you're hungry, you really aren't. being able to differentiate between real hunger and head hunger is a helpful skill for anyone, but particularly people that want to lose weight.

and about the pizza example, that is completely true. i think a major reason why a lot of people overeat is because they are eating what they intended to eat. we predict how much food we will need to eat during work, so we bring that amount and habitually eat that amount. there are also the social factors- we are trained how much to eat by restaurants serving us, packaged food portions, etc. whether a bag of pretzels has 15 pretzels or 35 pretzels, we are most likely going to finish the entire bag. (this is also a cultural thing- americans tend to eat everything on their plate, while the french tend to just stop when they are full).

so a helpful trick might be to intend on eating smaller portions. but if you can figure out how to eat only when you are actually hungry, and not just out of habit (because its 3pm and that's when you normally have a snack, or because it's sunday ngiht football so that's when you normally get a bag of chips out, or because mcdonalds gave you fries with yout sandwich).... i think that is the key to long term success. and like you said, slowing down would definitely help bring awareness to how full you feel.

of course, with many things, easier said than done.

and sorry for the long post
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #137
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post

i love research so i apologize for bringing up another study, but this one was pretty interesting. the subjects were men and women (who were not overwight), who were fed a standard breakfast and asked to report their hunger level. an hour later they were shown their favorite food, and then asked again to rate their hunger level. on a separate occasion, they were shown a food that they did not like and were asked to rate their hunger level. it turned out that when they were presented with the appealing food, there was a spike in gherlin (a hunger hormone), and they reported to have an appetite. but they had no appetite and no gherlin spike when they were presented with the unappetizing food.

it just goes to show that often, when you think you're hungry, you really aren't. being able to differentiate between real hunger and head hunger is a helpful skill for anyone, but particularly people that want to lose weight.

and about the pizza example, that is completely true. i think a major reason why a lot of people overeat is because they are eating what they intended to eat. we predict how much food we will need to eat during work, so we bring that amount and habitually eat that amount. there are also the social factors- we are trained how much to eat by restaurants serving us, packaged food portions, etc. whether a bag of pretzels has 15 pretzels or 35 pretzels, we are most likely going to finish the entire bag. (this is also a cultural thing- americans tend to eat everything on their plate, while the french tend to just stop when they are full).

so a helpful trick might be to intend on eating smaller portions. but if you can figure out how to eat only when you are actually hungry, and not just out of habit (because its 3pm and that's when you normally have a snack, or because it's sunday ngiht football so that's when you normally get a bag of chips out, or because mcdonalds gave you fries with yout sandwich).... i think that is the key to long term success. and like you said, slowing down would definitely help bring awareness to how full you feel.

of course, with many things, easier said than done.

and sorry for the long post

It's insane how little you actually need to eat to feel full vs how much we usually eat.
    Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #138
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I agree that portion control is a lot of that. I really struggle with that. I have no problem sitting down and eating two Subway footlongs. I have a huge appetite to begin with but especially after I've just finished working out.

Last year I got serious about it and really worked on eating smaller portions and I ate about half of what I normally do and quickly learned I wasn't hungry at that point. I wasn't full but I wasn't hungry anymore. There's a big difference between the two. I think we've become accustomed to feeling full rather feeling not hungry anymore.

As mentioned, easier said than done.
    Old 04-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #139
    bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Ive been keeping a food journal religiously... pretty eye popping when you actually track EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. Only thing I do not record is plain water.

A question though....

I am a 27 year old white male, currently 203 lbs, about 5'7". Wnating to get to under 200....ideally 180. Ive realized through the food journaling that it is incredibly easy to consume upwards of 3000 calories a day (which I try very hard not to do). My diet consists of what I consider fairly healthy, although sometimes high calorie foods, but with a low fat content. Some examples of a lot of my staples are:

White rice, boiled: 660 Calories in a cup, cooked.
    Pomegranate juice- 150 calories in 8 OZ (twice as many as most sodas)

I also eat a ton of chicken (boneless/skinless, on the George Foreman), canned tuna, boiled eggs, cereal (Wheaties)and yogurts.

Ive been having one hell of a time shedding pounds. Lost about 50 lbs two years ago when I got divorced and was just not eating out of sadness, but im in a better place now so I eat like normal lol.

Does eating a higher calorie diet, but very low in fat promote weight loss, or is it seriously just a numbers game when it comes to calories?

Obviously, I feel a lot better about eating a cup of white rice than eating a BigMac, but the calories are similar.....

Does it work this way or am I kidding myself?

2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis

Last edited by bustedstuff88; 04-16-2015 at 11:50 AM.
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #140
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Brown rice instead of white rice. White rice isn't going to help you lose weight and isn't healthy. It'll have less sodium and fat than a Big Mac so it can be healthier from that perspective.

I'd also ditch any high sugar fruit juice, regardless of how healthy it is. Fruits should be consumed in physical form so that they at least fill you up a little bit.

I tend to limit my fruit intake when dieting because the calories from sugar just aren't worth it.

Veggies. Complex Carbs. Chicken.

The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think and the more anxiously I inquire; the less I seem to know.
    Old 04-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #141
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

what's your average daily calorie intake? Do you have a sedentary job? How often are you working out?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #142
    Red&Black41

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    Ive been keeping a food journal religiously... pretty eye popping when you actually track EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. Only thing I do not record is plain water.

A question though....

I am a 27 year old white male, currently 203 lbs, about 5'7". Wnating to get to under 200....ideally 180. Ive realized through the food journaling that it is incredibly easy to consume upwards of 3000 calories a day (which I try very hard not to do). My diet consists of what I consider fairly healthy, although sometimes high calorie foods, but with a low fat content. Some examples of a lot of my staples are:

White rice, boiled: 660 Calories in a cup, cooked.
    Pomegranate juice- 150 calories in 8 OZ (twice as many as most sodas)

I also eat a ton of chicken (boneless/skinless, on the George Foreman), canned tuna, boiled eggs, cereal (Wheaties)and yogurts.

Ive been having one hell of a time shedding pounds. Lost about 50 lbs two years ago when I got divorced and was just not eating out of sadness, but im in a better place now so I eat like normal lol.

Does eating a higher calorie diet, but very low in fat promote weight loss, or is it seriously just a numbers game when it comes to calories?

Obviously, I feel a lot better about eating a cup of white rice than eating a BigMac, but the calories are similar.....

Does it work this way or am I kidding myself?
    This is what worked for me:

1. Cut out carbs, especially those that don't have a high fiber content. No more soda, juices, white breads, potatoes, rice, etc. Fruits are deceptively high in sugar.

2. Drink less beer. This one is tough.

3. Eat a light breakfast - if you must have some carbs or fiber, this is the meal to eat it.

4. Light lunch. I stopped eating meat during lunch. Mostly ate salads, soup, mixed nuts, etc.

5. Grilled meat and vegetable for dinner. Again, limit the carbs. Don't eat too late. No dessert.

I also run about 3 times a week. For me, simple carbs are way worse than high fat. I gave myself some more leniency during the weekends. You need to be able to reward yourself a little bit. It's a lot easier once you get past the first week.

Last edited by Red&Black41; 04-16-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    Red&Black41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #143
    bustedstuff88

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    what's your average daily calorie intake? Do you have a sedentary job? How often are you working out?
    Calorie intake on a daily basis swings from 1500-2500 on average, with obviously some anomaly days.

I work in a bank, stand all day but otherwise sedentary.

Try to hit the gym at least twice a week and run at least 1 mile each time im there. I also like riding my bicycle and playing frisbee.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #144
    bustedstuff88

My Tour Central Stats

And I think alcohol may be a huge contributing factor...

Old 04-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #145
    bustedstuff88

My Tour Central Stats

How do you guys prepare your brown rice? Is wild rice a decent option too?

Love me some rice....

Old 04-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #146
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

i had ice cream tonight. but about one scoop.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #147
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    15-1800, active job

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    And I think alcohol may be a huge contributing factor...
    and thisssssssssss sometimes on the weekends I'll drink 2000 calories a night.
    Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #148
    bustedstuff88

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    15-1800, active job

and thisssssssssss sometimes on the weekends I'll drink 2000 calories a night.

Far too easy to do... bottle of wine, couple shots and a few beers and thats your daily intake entirely....ugh.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #149
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

got off the brown rice bandwagon when i discovered jasmine rice. its just too good
    Old 04-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #150
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I've been trying to eliminate carbs recently. It's so tough but I'm seeing a small improvement. Have to eat more protein to compensate because without carbs I definitely notice I'm hungrier, but I don't think any dietitian would have a problem with replacing carbs with protein.