Comic Book Discussion - Page 8 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #211
blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Comic Book Discussion

Cool a comics thread! I just started reading comics this year. I read most of the popular Batman TPBs that are mentioned in here then moved on to Watchmen, Sandman, Wolverine, and Amazing Spider-man. Spider-man is what did me in, I started at the beginning and haven't stopped. Currently on issue 63 and not sure how long I'll go before I move to the X-men, which is next on my list. I want to at least read through the death of Gwen Stacy (I think around 120 or so).
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #212
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Just read Batman: Hush. Lee and Loeb did such a damn good job. After everything I've read thus far, Jeph Loeb is probably my second favorite writer behind Alan Moore. Love the whole Batman/Catwoman plot in that story.
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

wampa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #213
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

If you're a Batman fan and for some reason haven't read Frank Miller's books - do yourself a favor and buy it now

The Dark Knight Returns. Read the books then watch the animated film.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #214
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Daredevil Born Again was such a great arc that i just finished up. Really good story.
    Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #215
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    If you're a Batman fan and for some reason haven't read Frank Miller's books - do yourself a favor and buy it now

The Dark Knight Returns. Read the books then watch the animated film.
    Still debating whether or not I like that the animated feature removed Bruce's inner monologue. Not sure if including it would have made it better or worse. Still a great watch though.
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #216
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I need to read Dark Knight Returns. I just didn't get what was so great about it. Maybe another read will do the trick. I really liked the movie for some reason. I liked Michael Emerson as The Joker. I liked that he was so monotone and not so erratic. Just interesting to see a different take on the character.

I love Loeb's work a lot more. Long Halloween is by far my favorite Batman story.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #217
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    I need to read Dark Knight Returns. I just didn't get what was so great about it. Maybe another read will do the trick. I really liked the movie for some reason. I liked Michael Emerson as The Joker. I liked that he was so monotone and not so erratic. Just interesting to see a different take on the character.

I love Loeb's work a lot more. Long Halloween is by far my favorite Batman story.
    I liked Dark Knight Returns more than Long Halloween, but boy did I like Hush a lot. I think Hush might be my favorite so far.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #218
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

The Kevin Smith Batman series was also solid.

Anyone else read Batman/Green Hornet 66 yet? Those are fantastic books.
    Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #219
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The Kevin Smith Batman series was also solid.

Anyone else read Batman/Green Hornet 66 yet? Those are fantastic books.
    As in 1966? Even if not I'm kind of interested in trying to read some of those old stories. Little cheesier and lighter but could be cool to read where it all started.
    Old 08-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #220
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As in 1966? Even if not I'm kind of interested in trying to read some of those old stories. Little cheesier and lighter but could be cool to read where it all started.
    Set in the 1966 Adam West Batman universe, released in 2014.

Not to go too much into the long ass backstory, but Ralph Garman of KROQ/Hollywood Babble On (does a podcast with Kevin Smith) is a huge Batman 66 fan. He has one of the largest collections of collectibles and was responsible for finally getting Adam West a star on the walk of fame.

DC approached Kevin Smith about writing a Batman 66 story (not sure if it was because they knew the DVD/Blu Ray Sets were coming out this year or not), Kevin is good friends with Ralph Garman and knows that Ralph knows more about the Bat66 canon than anyone - and they wrote it together. The story focuses on Col Gumm, he was only in 2 episodes of Batman 66 so a minor Bat66 character, both of which featured appearances by Green Hornet & Kato, so this comic is also a crossover of Batman/Green Hornet. It's a great read.
    Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #221
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Set in the 1966 Adam West Batman universe, released in 2014.

Not to go too much into the long ass backstory, but Ralph Garman of KROQ/Hollywood Babble On (does a podcast with Kevin Smith) is a huge Batman 66 fan. He has one of the largest collections of collectibles and was responsible for finally getting Adam West a star on the walk of fame.

DC approached Kevin Smith about writing a Batman 66 story (not sure if it was because they knew the DVD/Blu Ray Sets were coming out this year or not), Kevin is good friends with Ralph Garman and knows that Ralph knows more about the Bat66 canon than anyone - and they wrote it together. The story focuses on Col Gumm, he was only in 2 episodes of Batman 66 so a minor Bat66 character, both of which featured appearances by Green Hornet & Kato, so this comic is also a crossover of Batman/Green Hornet. It's a great read.
    Very cool. Did the bluray come out yet? Did you get it?
    Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #222
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very cool. Did the bluray come out yet? Did you get it?

It's coming in November, I have the set preordered. Shit was expensive, but it's definitely worth the cost to own the entire series.
    Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #223
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's coming in November, I have the set preordered. Shit was expensive, but it's definitely worth the cost to own the entire series.
    May look into getting that one day. It's pretty damn classic, but I don't know if I'd really watch them. It's really pretty cheesy...however I HAVE been watching the original Flash DVD's and that is pretty much the epitome of 90's cheese.
    Old 08-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #224
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    May look into getting that one day. It's pretty damn classic, but I don't know if I'd really watch them. It's really pretty cheesy...however I HAVE been watching the original Flash DVD's and that is pretty much the epitome of 90's cheese.
    no worse than the 70's Spider Man TV series:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUcktiQxC9Q

or 70's captain america:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzE4Hv6Z-yk

or 1990 captain america:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs8rFsmhNTc

those were cheese

one I really liked that a lot of people don't seem to enjoy was the 1980 flash gordon movie:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72D2N6asZP8
    Old 08-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #225
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Hey guys, I could use some advice. So my seven year old nephew just broke his foot and in the last month has really got into comic books.

Can you guys recommend some books/series he'd be into that don't involve exploding heads, gratuitous TnA or any rough themes? Unfortunately most of the books I've read fall nowhere near those categories.

He just finished an older Cap series that I can't recall but was pretty tame but still heroic enough for him to really like it. His reading level is pretty high but he has to look up words of course (which is a great bonus).

Any advice appreciated. I'm hoping not to have to order them since he's laid up as of today with nothing but video games, TV and homework to do.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #226
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    Hey guys, I could use some advice. So my seven year old nephew just broke his foot and in the last month has really got into comic books.

Can you guys recommend some books/series he'd be into that don't involve exploding heads, gratuitous TnA or any rough themes? Unfortunately most of the books I've read fall nowhere near those categories.

He just finished an older Cap series that I can't recall but was pretty tame but still heroic enough for him to really like it. His reading level is pretty high but he has to look up words of course (which is a great bonus).

Any advice appreciated. I'm hoping not to have to order them since he's laid up as of today with nothing but video games, TV and homework to do.
    Ever read Garfield? Very relatable. He hates Mondays and LOVES lasagna!

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I honestly would gravitate towards golden and silver age comic classics. Would introduce to him all of the classic characters in a much more PG setting. That said, I never really read comics much as a kid so I don't know what would have best kept my attention in those days.

Another option would be comics related to cartoons he likes. Disney has lots as well as others like TMNT.

Last edited by wampa3; 08-21-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #227
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    no worse than the 70's Spider Man TV series:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUcktiQxC9Q

or 70's captain america:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzE4Hv6Z-yk

or 1990 captain america:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs8rFsmhNTc

those were cheese

one I really liked that a lot of people don't seem to enjoy was the 1980 flash gordon movie:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72D2N6asZP8
    Imagine if this thing actually hit the airwaves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0kHSllsVOE

I can't believe I never heard of this!
    Old 08-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #228
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Can't forget Roger Corman's 90's Fanastic Four

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpmM-eTESI
    Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #229
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone else reading Batman: Eternal? 20 issues in now and it's been really solid. Only one really bad issue (#11, I believe) where both the story and the artwork were absolutely horrendous. Other than that, it's been fantastic. Being a year-long weekly series (I believe), there's obviously a slow-burn main plotline going on, but there's a million different characters involved so far, so there have been plenty of subplots keeping you going week to week.
    Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #230
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Anyone else reading Batman: Eternal? 20 issues in now and it's been really solid. Only one really bad issue (#11, I believe) where both the story and the artwork were absolutely horrendous. Other than that, it's been fantastic. Being a year-long weekly series (I believe), there's obviously a slow-burn main plotline going on, but there's a million different characters involved so far, so there have been plenty of subplots keeping you going week to week.
    Just got married AND moved from New Hampshire to Cleveland so I have fallen way behind on my reading. I did just buy a bunch of books with some wedding money and one of them was the Zero Year arc and I can't wait to get caught up to it. Just recently heard an interview with Scott Snyder saying their working on another story that is going to get crazy.

I have so much reading to do. Just bought almost the entire Geoff Johns run on Green Lantern up to New 52 and am wicked stoked to read those as well.
    Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #231
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wampa3 View Post
    Ever read Garfield? Very relatable. He hates Mondays and LOVES lasagna!

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I honestly would gravitate towards golden and silver age comic classics. Would introduce to him all of the classic characters in a much more PG setting. That said, I never really read comics much as a kid so I don't know what would have best kept my attention in those days.

Another option would be comics related to cartoons he likes. Disney has lots as well as others like TMNT.
    Thanks for the advice. Can you happen to recommend some of those golden eras that might fit the bill that would also be easily available?

The only books from that time period I read are Batman and it's the one character he's just not into. I hate to just randomly buy some books. Ideally I could find some bound reprints or something but this is seriously out of my wheelhouse AND the guys at the shop near me. You should see the stuff they said would be good. =p
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #232
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Can you happen to recommend some of those golden eras that might fit the bill that would also be easily available?

The only books from that time period I read are Batman and it's the one character he's just not into. I hate to just randomly buy some books. Ideally I could find some bound reprints or something but this is seriously out of my wheelhouse AND the guys at the shop near me. You should see the stuff they said would be good. =p
    While I haven't read all of the stories myself, I'd recommend starting with the 1975 X-Men series which began with the infamous Giant-Size X-Men #1. It was the first book to introduce the new cast of characters and changed the complexion of the X-men moving forward.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncanny-X-Men-...Masterworks%29

Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #233
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone seen the 3 part PBS special, Superheroes: A Never Ending Battle? Just watched it on Netflix and loved it. It was really informative and gave some great background of the history. Really helpful for a newbie!
    Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #234
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ianxcarlos/i...tories#45qsy34

nice little list of a lot of mainly non-batman stories.
    Old 08-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #235
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/ianxcarlos/i...tories#45qsy34

nice little list of a lot of mainly non-batman stories.
    Definitely want to check out that Joker book. If that is somewhat based on Heath Ledger's Joker then I'm sold.
    Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #236
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

http://gizmodo.com/heres-how-anatomi...ium=socialflow

Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #237
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Batman: Hush might be the best Batman trade paperback I've ever read. Don't know why it took me so long to get around to buying it, but I enjoyed it more than any other I've read.
    Old 08-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #238
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Definitely want to check out that Joker book. If that is somewhat based on Heath Ledger's Joker then I'm sold.
    Azarrello has been knocking it out of the park on Wonderwoman, I would definitely read that too if I were you

If you're looking for a great Heath Ledger-y Joker read you should check out Death of the Family by Scott Snyder immediately, that is some serious shit.
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #239
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomriddle View Post
    Azarrello has been knocking it out of the park on Wonderwoman, I would definitely read that too if I were you

If you're looking for a great Heath Ledger-y Joker read you should check out Death of the Family by Scott Snyder immediately, that is some serious shit.
    Read Court of Owls and bought the next couple volumes but got sidetracked with Green Lantern and The Flash. I can't wait to read that as well as Zero Year. But I've read so much Batman over the years that I decided to take a break and try some other characters for a little while.

I seem to have trouble following too many characters at once, so I've been trying to do one at a time haha.
    Old 09-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #240
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Has anyone else seen this before? Looks unbelievably good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhHoUGlTFEo