More excited after the Mexico shows? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: How are you feeling about 2017 after Mexico?
Less excited 11 6.11%
About the same level of excitement 82 45.56%
More excited 87 48.33%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #31
srgtkevin22

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: More excited after the Mexico shows?

Just can't please everyone right? I thought the Mexico set lists were very good and fully expect the euro tour to be a proving ground for some of the rarities and new covers for sure. Not to mention a ton of shows under their belt. The biggest take away from Mexico for me is Daves voice. I happened to listen to SPAC 2016 a few days prior to Mexico and his voice was obviously shot. Can't wait for CMAC and SPAC 2 nights
srgtkevin22 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #32
    Tbone2

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    I'm thinking the 20-23 songs sets were short due to having opening bands. Tour won't have them, will have more D&T songs

It was that and I believe the resort needed to show to end at 11pm each night. The sound really could be heard throughout. The 3rd night we stayed outside on the beach and listened to the first hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tbone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #33
    ajk316

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Dave sounded fantastic I thought. There really wasn't that much political speak. Mentioned it once a night really and didn't really get too specific mostly. Energy was incredible. Dave really seemed to be digging it. Unfourtantely Vusi can't guest every night cause Dave couldn't stop smiling while playing with him. Didn't know when to cut off the crowd for the everyday outro Vusi basically had to do it. May be optimistic but I think they are going to play some fantastic shows this summer. Dave seemed to be letting loose. Admitted to not totally being comfortable with playing some songs but still went for it.
    ajk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #34
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajk316 View Post
    Dave sounded fantastic I thought. There really wasn't that much political speak. Mentioned it once a night really and didn't really get too specific mostly. Energy was incredible. Dave really seemed to be digging it. Unfourtantely Vusi can't guest every night cause Dave couldn't stop smiling while playing with him. Didn't know when to cut off the crowd for the everyday outro Vusi basically had to do it. May be optimistic but I think they are going to play some fantastic shows this summer. Dave seemed to be letting loose. Admitted to not totally being comfortable with playing some songs but still went for it.

I love that attitude and wish he would act accordingly more often!
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 05:26 AM   #35
    WhoDidIt?

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

All I'm really hoping for is warehouse with a killer passion intro. Preferably to open the show or the encore.
    WhoDidIt? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #36
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone know if jimi featured the WWBOM outro?
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #37
    Totin8298

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Hahah. I don't know why I even read this forums anymore. I think Dave could play every song you guys want to hear and you still would find something to bitch about. How about just being happy that he is still playing and still writing new songs. If that's not enough then maybe you should go find something else to listen to.
    Totin8298 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #38
    morecornbread!!
    RIP Boyd

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'm more excited after seeing the Mexico setlists. Hearing songs like Help Myself, Raven, Dodo, Fool To Think, Little Red Bird (Absolutely love this song. Underrated) excites me. Plus, I am excited because this tour will be something different. It's sort of refreshing to just have Dave and Tim this year and to hear a different sound than the full band. Excited for my Nashville show and my Chicago show.
    Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #39
    Pmfnharris
    17 Year Gorge Expert

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

My excitement is still the same and it has nothing to do with Mexico. Set lists looked great but...

...still no West Coast dates.
    Pmfnharris is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #40
    SeeMoreDMB

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhoDidIt? View Post
    All I'm really hoping for is warehouse with a killer passion intro. Preferably to open the show or the encore.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #41
    NewBernPirate13

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I was already excited, so same level...this weekend was exactly what I expected and I think the summer will feature more bust outs and more guests..Dave & Tim & Bela
    NewBernPirate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #42
    FeelMyVibes

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by but1well View Post
    Does anyone know if jimi featured the WWBOM outro?
    It did not, unfortunately. The OSW intro made up for it I thought
    FeelMyVibes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #43
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Totin8298 View Post
    Hahah. I don't know why I even read this forums anymore. I think Dave could play every song you guys want to hear and you still would find something to bitch about. How about just being happy that he is still playing and still writing new songs. If that's not enough then maybe you should go find something else to listen to.
    That's only true for a minority of people I think. They definitely over-expect / over-demand from Dave, I think if you're going to a show not expecting to enjoy it you've got the wrong 'hobby'. But I think the majority of people around here aren't that stupid!

I wonder what those fans would think about Dave not mixing sets up (as much as he does even now) in the '90s.... would they have been as complainy back then?

The Mexico shows made me slightly more excited, but my expectations of excitement were quite high anyway
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #44
    misschung

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41Tom View Post
    I wonder what those fans would think about Dave not mixing sets up (as much as he does even now) in the '90s.... would they have been as complainy back then?
    There weren't as many songs in the catalog in the 90s. Also, I have yet to hear a really bad show from that era due to all the experimentation that was done on stage, which isn't really done as much anymore.
    Old 02-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #45
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Totin8298 View Post
    wanting greatness from an artist that you are passionate about doesn't really strike me as a bad thing

nor do i think wanting greatness constitutes "finding something else to listen to"
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #46
    Dolomite1030

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Same, I already know what we're getting when Dave comes to SPAC! #Greatness#
    Dolomite1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #47
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

About the same. I'm happy they managed to avoid repeats.

On a side note, I feel like saying that was the first Billies closer by D&T since '99 is silly. I get that the Almanac differentiates between Encore Closers and Set Closers, so yes, that was the first time since '99 Billies closed the a D&T main set, but it closed the 2nd encore at Oakland N2 in 2015.

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #48
    CaptainRaven

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I thought night 1 and 2 were strong, but night 3 was disappointing. Yes I love raven, typical, 41, and other tunes, but the whole weekend was missing bartender, say goodbye, beach ball and other songs that easily could have been mixed in and make it better. Was cool to see dodo and help myself and Jane and all those songs that haven't been played in a long time by Dave and Tim or haven't ever been played by them, but I just think they missed something. I also thought the crowd was disappointing to me. Not typical Dave and Tim etiquette at all, which was obnoxious for me and my wife. This is coming from a guy who has seen he band 97 times and Dave and tim now 11. I don't know if I'm more excited for the summer Dave and Tim shows or if I am now okay with skipping them all together. I mean, no Halloween? No last stop? No pig?
    CaptainRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #49
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Play rare songs all weekend and still have fans upset about the lack of rare songs, then fans also get upset about not playing certain regular songs like Bartender, good times
    I mean, it blows me away they chose to play songs like Dive In, YMDT, Squirm, Spaceman, Cornbread, and Eh Hee while leaving songs like Say Goodbye, Seek Up, and Bartender on the shelf for a 3 day weekend that people paid $4,000-$5,000+ to attend.

I don't think it's that crazy to be a little let down by some of the choices of the sets. But that's standard Dave the last 10 years or so.
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #50
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    I mean, it blows me away they chose to play songs like Dive In, YMDT, Squirm, Spaceman, Cornbread, and Eh Hee while leaving songs like Say Goodbye, Seek Up, and Bartender on the shelf for a 3 day weekend that people paid $4,000-$5,000+ to attend.

I don't think it's that crazy to be a little let down by some of the choices of the sets. But that's standard Dave the last 10 years or so.
    the bolded is not Dave's fault

if you spent that money on Dave & Tim and expected specific setlists or performances, then you only have 1 person to blame...
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #51
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    the bolded is not Dave's fault

if you spent that money on Dave & Tim and expected specific setlists or performances, then you only have 1 person to blame...
    I didn't say it's Dave's fault. He didn't set the prices, but I'm sure he was well aware of the effort and financial commitment people made to come watch him play for a couple days.
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #52
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I didn't say it's Dave's fault. He didn't set the prices, but I'm sure he was well aware of the effort and financial commitment people made to come watch him play for a couple days.
    i still don't see the connection, especially since we've all seen how the last 10 tours have gone

the effort and commitment means he should play Bartender? i don't get the connection.

the hefty price tag you are citing also includes beautiful beaches and resorts. not just a couple acoustic shows
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #53
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i still don't see the connection, especially since we've all seen how the last 10 tours have gone

the effort and commitment means he should play Bartender? i don't get the connection.

the hefty price tag you are citing also includes beautiful beaches and resorts. not just a couple acoustic shows
    I feel like we're talking in circles. I literally said the exact same thing as you with the last 10 years or so.

Also, you can go to Cancun for dirt cheap whenever you want. It's the easiest and cheapest beach vacation available. There's nothing really special about Cancun. If you wanted "beautiful beaches and resorts" there are multiple better Central America locations for cheaper than this D+T weekend was.

The question in this thread was are you more excited, and the answer simply is no. I was just saying it's amazing to me that Dave and crew never seem to make anything really special, even when there's a hefty price tag attached. It's all just very standard.

I feel like you're arguing just to argue.
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #54
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I feel like we're talking in circles. I literally said the exact same thing as you with the last 10 years or so.

Also, you can go to Cancun for dirt cheap whenever you want. It's the easiest and cheapest beach vacation available. There's nothing really special about Cancun. If you wanted "beautiful beaches and resorts" there are multiple better Central America locations for cheaper than this D+T weekend was.

The question in this thread was are you more excited, and the answer simply is no. I was just saying it's amazing to me that Dave and crew never seem to make anything really special, even when there's a hefty price tag attached. It's all just very standard.

I feel like you're arguing just to argue.
    no argument, i agree with the bolded. i just didn't understand why the hefty price tag matters. i don't see a connection there.

it would be like me spending a pretty penny on going to Cuba or Japan to see a Major League baseball game and expecting to see a pitcher throw a perfect game or see a walk-off grand slam because of "the hefty price tag"

but at the end of the day, it's just a baseball game and i shouldn't expect something more just because it was expensive.

and at the end of the day, it was just a D&T show and it fell in line with what we've seen from Dave over the last 10 years.
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #55
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

A good setlist is way more in Dave's control than throwing a perfect game.
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #56
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I still haven't confirmed my show for the summer. i will wait to see how Europe tour unfolds before committing, but there was maybe 6-7 song performances from Mexico that I'd like to see (Stone, LIOG, Dodo, BOWA, FTT, Rapunzel, Jane).

but can certainly live without.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #57
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A good setlist is way more in Dave's control than throwing a perfect game.
    that's besides the point. it's more about the consumer's expectations.

if i go to a baseball game, and expect something more than just a baseball game, i can't blame the players. they are just doing what they do.

same with Dave
    Old 02-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #58
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    that's besides the point. it's more about the consumer's expectations.

if i go to a baseball game, and expect something more than just a baseball game, i can't blame the players. they are just doing what they do.

same with Dave
    You could blame the players for committing 3 costly errors resulting in them losing the game. You could blame players for shitty baserunning. You could blame players for being in a slump. You could blame players for not giving enough effort.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #59
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    You could blame the players for committing 3 costly errors resulting in them losing the game. You could blame players for shitty baserunning. You could blame players for being in a slump. You could blame players for not giving enough effort.
    wrong

not if the players have been making errors and playing terrible for 10 years

after 10 years, it's time to adjust your expectation
    Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #60
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I mean, theres a happy medium there.

Noone shouldve went to that with high expectations... but at the same time youd think Dave could dig a little deeper knowing how much money people spent on that trip.

Round and around we go.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote