Steve Lillywhite - "Found MacHead" - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #31
two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Steve Lillywhite - "Found MacHead"

hahaha can't wait to see how this one turns out...
two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #32
    hockygoalie41

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I really hope people don't bombard him about this, he's already done more than anyone would expect i'm sure by talking about it and then twittering he found it, I am kinda excited about this, also for next week, should it happen, anyone have a good way to record the show to get an mp3 of it instead of having to listen to the stream of the show that you can't fast forward, just saying
    hockygoalie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #33
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hockygoalie41 View Post
    I really hope people don't bombard him about this, he's already done more than anyone would expect i'm sure by talking about it and then twittering he found it, I am kinda excited about this, also for next week, should it happen, anyone have a good way to record the show to get an mp3 of it instead of having to listen to the stream of the show that you can't fast forward, just saying
    sorry, but he will be and he should know that people are gonna be all over him. you dont just say something like that and expect people to not ask him about it
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #34
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pathetic View Post
    sorry, but he will be and he should know that people are gonna be all over him. you dont just say something like that and expect people to not ask him about it
    i really don't think he has any idea what this "means" to a lot of people. i mean, he brainfarted on boyd's name yesterday, a guy from a band he worked with for years. i think he has no clue that Machead has become a "holy grail" of sorts, all pretty much based on a written tracklist and one of his very own quotes. there's no reason for him to think it's anything more than a curious oddity at this point- i just can't imagine he is even remotely aware of the "history" the song has taken on.

maybe, just maybe, he is more in-tune with the fanbase and what playing this tune would do for the community, but i wouldn't take that bet.

Discogs

Last edited by AndySlash; 01-06-2010 at 08:29 AM.
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #35
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    i really don't think he has any idea what this "means" to a lot of people. i mean, he brainfarted on boyd's name yesterday, a guy from a band he worked with for years. i think he has no clue that Machead has become a "holy grail" of sorts, all pretty much based on a written tracklist and one of his very own quotes. there's no reason for him to think it's anything more than a curious oddity at this point- i just can't imagine he is even remotely aware of the "history" the song has taken on.
    Have you seen how many bands / acts this guy works with? He hasn't had contact with the band in 10 years or so.. is it really so bad that he momentarily couldn't think of one member's name?

Also.. he mentioned that he knows its something the fanbase has been wanting to hear. He knows.
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #36
    markus_europe
    Toy Soldiers

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    Prove it, because all facts point to the exact opposite being true. Nothing they've done post-Lillywhite touches the Big Three, and there's a strong argument to be made that LWS is better than BWGK.

And even if all that is true, just calling the guy a name for no reason whatsoever is a pretty stupid thing to do.
    I agree with you here, totally.

BWGK is good, but DMB in the Lillywhite area were a different level.
    markus_europe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #37
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobbtheRevelatr View Post
    Have you seen how many bands / acts this guy works with? He hasn't had contact with the band in 10 years or so.. is it really so bad that he momentarily couldn't think of one member's name?
    no, i understand that, and it's not like he completely forgot- it just took a few extra seconds is all. perfectly understandable. i was just using it as an example that dmb isn't exactly at the top of his headspace.

still, i'm not convinced he knows the enormity this tune has taken on over the years. he might know people are interested- more than one person did ask about it yesterday- but i'm not sure he knows the scope.

if he proves me wrong, then he's even more cool in my mind.

Discogs

Last edited by AndySlash; 01-06-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #38
    jonb

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I think Lillywhite has "some" idea what the song means. He did say on the radio that he was going to look for the "Legendary" machead. So, i think if he said that, and the very next morning he finds it buried under tons of tapes and things that he actively searched for it. Then he tweets about how he found it. And if he went through all that, im guessing he'd love to play it for all the "New" fans of his radio show. I'd say our chances our VERY good that he'd play it, barring any sort of DMB blockage of it. Just my thought anyway.
    jonb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #39
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    no, i understand that, and it's not like he completely forgot- it just took a few extra seconds is all. perfectly understandable. i was just using it as an example that dmb isn't exactly at the top of his headspace.

still, i'm not convinced he knows the enormity this tune has taken on over the years. he might know people are interested- more than one person did ask about it yesterday- but i'm not sure he knows the scope.

if he proves me wrong, then he's even more cool in my mind.
    Cool.. sorry for misunderstanding.

Listen to the entirety of what he said.. it left me with the impression he's extremely aware of what people think of him, and that Machead is an item of insatiable curiosity by the fanbase.
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #40
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

maybe, just maybe, he is more in-tune with the fanbase and what playing this tune would do for the community, but i wouldn't take that bet.
    i brain fart on shit all the time. it's called being a stoner
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #41
    Taylor/Martin

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    I do expect that everyone who said they "didn't care about Machead" back when Jake said he heard it will ignore this and not listen/download it should it become available right?

Go Steve, go!
    No offense, but how does this make any sense? In that poll, I voted that I didn't care about MacHead because it means nothing to me if it comes out or it doesn't. However, if it's available, I'll listen to it.

Edit: Lillywhite seems pretty awesome, especially going out of his way to find this for the fans.
    You mean you don't enjoy unfinished versions of song like Raven from tLWS? I really love the part when he goes "Rosingraysonthis" and "woahchagotyothang"
    Taylor/Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #42
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonb View Post
    He did say on the radio that he was going to look for the "Legendary" machead.
    I must've missed that part.

Regardless, this is all a pretty great development that no one saw coming. If this does see the light of day, anyone who's ever wanted to hear machead should give the guy who started the east village radio thread some big fuckin props.

Discogs
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #43
    JBScout21

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Something tells me the Red Light will bring the hammer down on this. I can't see them actually approving of it being played. That's money out the window for them plain and simple. That said, it might prompt a B-sides release to come quicker than we expected.

Don't burn the pig?
    Don't drink the water!?
    Don't bite the Mailman!?!?!?!
    I'm tired of Dave telling me what not to do.
    JBScout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #44
    canes101190
    No Worries

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Isn't it out of RLM's control? It's just a demo from a studio session, not a song that was officially released or anything. If RLM drops the hammer on this solely because they don't want us to hear it (which I highly doubt is the case) then that'd be pretty lame. I at least want to hear what all the hype is about.
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #45
    soccergoblin5

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    dude, the band was frustrated...they werent going to fire eachother. there was only one person to look to, and they blamed it in SL. pretty plain and simple if you ask me.

Steve wanted to push the boys to work really hard....but DMB is one of the laziest bands ever soooo.
    wrong
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #46
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    dude, the band was frustrated...they werent going to fire eachother. there was only one person to look to, and they blamed it in SL. pretty plain and simple if you ask me.

Steve wanted to push the boys to work really hard....but DMB is one of the laziest bands ever soooo.
    I hope this is a joke.
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #47
    Ram

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taylor/Martin View Post
    No offense, but how does this make any sense? In that poll, I voted that I didn't care about MacHead because it means nothing to me if it comes out or it doesn't. However, if it's available, I'll listen to it.

Edit: Lillywhite seems pretty awesome, especially going out of his way to find this for the fans.
    No offense taken. I was referring to people who were acting like douches about the whole thing back then, calling Jake a liar and saying that they don't give a shit about the song. I just think that's silly. We're all DMB fans, and I find it hard to believe a true fan wouldn't want to hear this song, finished or not. Even just out of curiosity! I think people were just reacting out of jealousy.
    7/12/00 - 6/12/01 - 12/21/02 - 9/5/03 - 9/6/03 - 6/11/04 - 12/10/05 - 6/23/06 - 11/15/07 - 4/14/10 - 9/3/10 - 9/4/10 - 9/5/10 - 11/13/10 - 11/30/12 - 12/1/12 - 6/29/13 - 6/27/15 - 6/7/16 - 6/16/18 - 6/15/19
    Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #48
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Orrrrr....lillywhite's well had run dry
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #49
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    Prove it, because all facts point to the exact opposite being true. Nothing they've done post-Lillywhite touches the Big Three, and there's a strong argument to be made that LWS is better than BWGK.

And even if all that is true, just calling the guy a name for no reason whatsoever is a pretty stupid thing to do.

ha i said they have the "potential" to make big 3 music, and thats a fact because if you have done something before then it is possible to do it again. Sorry i hurt steve's and apparently your feelings BWGK is better than LWS in my opinion, it does however rank #4 behind the big three to me though. I dont wanna argue about this, and i apologize for starting this, i just dont buy into the bullshit that the band needs lillywhite to succeed.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #50
    bdj1311
    SPOON!!!!!

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Just a thought, but if management does not want this played, making 3-5 threads on the bands biggest forum, which is most likely atleast glanced at by people connected to the band probably isn't the best idea, and most likely the best way to get this stopped before it gets played. Just $.02......
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #51
    Taylor/Martin

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    No offense taken. I was referring to people who were acting like douches about the whole thing back then, calling Jake a liar and saying that they don't give a shit about the song. I just think that's silly. We're all DMB fans, and I find it hard to believe a true fan wouldn't want to hear this song, finished or not. Even just out of curiosity! I think people were just reacting out of jealousy.

I agree with you
    You mean you don't enjoy unfinished versions of song like Raven from tLWS? I really love the part when he goes "Rosingraysonthis" and "woahchagotyothang"
    Taylor/Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #52
    markus_europe
    Toy Soldiers

My Tour Central Stats

I hope we'll hear it. It would be a fun time to solve the so-called "myth". To most of the people, it doesn't mean anything, but some are burning to hear it. It wouldn't do any harm to the band, we've all heard half-ready songs and song sketches, no money would be lost for anyone but it would make a lot of people happy. Those who don't give a shit have every right not to do so, but to some it would actually mean something, me included. And although I do not count on hearing it next time, I still hope we will.
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #53
    ZackR
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I'll repost what I wrote elsewhere so as not to re-type what was already too much the first time:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Me
    Unless management pre-emptively contacts Lillywhite and tells him NOT to play it, if he digs up the old cassette, I can totally see him doing it. I don't think it WILL happen, but I could see it happening. It'd be like Stefan or someone playing it on a radio interview show just for the heck of it. SHOULD he do it? Probably not. Are they going to sue the guy who produced the track for playing it from an old cassette-source that was sitting in a box under a bunch of junk via webcast'ed radio program at 128kbps? I doubt it.

Does he have the right to release it or something legally? I can't imagine that he does. But I could completely see him just playing it once for the heck of it.

Now if they contact him ahead of time (as in, they got word that he even suggested that he needed to "dig it up") then I could see there being a problem.

Still, it's a song relatively few people care about. WE might care about it, but in the scheme of things, releases, etc, how many HARDCORE fans are there that would still NOT buy it anyways?

Think of it like this -- I buy pretty much everything they put out. Even if Lillywhite played it and it SUCKS, I'm still going to buy the set down the road that they ultimately throw it on. Once they officially release it, it will be leaked or pirated on release day or in the days before. That being said, anyone who would buy PURELY based on Machead and is THAT hardcore would most likely have heard it on Youtube or whereever via the leak.

My point is this --- I cannot IMAGINE sales of an eventual EP or boxset containing (among other things) Machead being hurt by Lillywhite playing the song. I mean, if someone's purchase depended on their liking that ONE track, they wouldn't blind buy to begin with, would hear it elsewhere upon its release and then still NOT buy it if they thought it sucked.

That's my thinking anyways.

EDIT: Also, if he really hyped the show and made a big deal ahead of time, I could see a problem. But if he just gets a whim and throws it up, I don't see any massive fallout.

And I typed WAY too much.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Me
    Oh, and the song will NEVER live up to the hype. There's just no way. And that's not a bad thing. It could be #41, Part 2 (#42?) quality-wise and it STILL wouldn't live up to the hype and I don't care. That wouldn't make me any less interested to hear it or any other unreleased song or demo version of existing songs he might throw out there.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Me
    I think Machead is WAY more important to a small group of hardcores than it is to anyone in the band or management (or Lillywhite). If he plays it, they'll shrug and move on with their day. At most, I could see them sending a friendly letter reminding him that he doesn't OWN the material and can't offer unreleased material for download and then him or the station editing it out of the archive or something later on...which is why I will be recording it LIVE at the house on the SLIM CHANCE that he actually plays something of interest.
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #54
    hockygoalie41

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj1311 View Post
    Just a thought, but if management does not want this played, making 3-5 threads on the bands biggest forum, which is most likely atleast glanced at by people connected to the band probably isn't the best idea, and most likely the best way to get this stopped before it gets played. Just $.02......
    hockygoalie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #55
    markus_europe
    Toy Soldiers

My Tour Central Stats

thanks ZackR good point(s)
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #56
    NextMovement41
    BBQ BEER FREEDOM

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

This may be the closest the community has come to hearing MacHead, ever. This is our best shot.
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #57
    stumpie024
    Is it summer yet?

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

When does his show air again?
    stumpie024 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #58
    ZackR
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stumpie024 View Post
    When does his show air again?
    Tuesdays from 2-4 EST.
    http://www.eastvillageradio.com/show...4&showid=48296

If he opens it up, I'm calling in next week.
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #59
    efraser77
    026 | Grux Abides

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

What Zack said.

But also, this thought had crossed my mind as well:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj1311 View Post
    Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #60
    stumpie024
    Is it summer yet?

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZackR View Post
    Tuesdays from 2-4 EST.
    http://www.eastvillageradio.com/show...4&showid=48296

If he opens it up, I'm calling in next week.
    Yesterday'sshowwas great, I caught in when he was talking about Tim and getting stoned w/ him. Good god, if he just randomly plays this next week!!!!!
    stumpie024 is offline   Reply With Quote