DMB Record Store Day 2017 (4/22/17) - Page 21 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #601
AlexK79
Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Record Store Day 2017 (4/22/17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Quick question for everyone....

Does anyone else here think that Record Store Day has gotten out of control? While the main purpose is to get the customer to support their local record store, it just ends up putting a ton of money in the hands of people that buy things with the intention of immediately selling them for a profit. The average cost of vinyls has gone up $5-20 total while the quality has gone down in many cases. Hell, most DMB releases have had numerous issues while customers like you and I are putting out a lot of money for these things. I had no shot at getting a copy of Red Rocks.... now I am glad I didn't after all the issues I'm hearing about. I had the same problem with Slipknot releasing Volume 3 the Subliminal Verses two years ago. Couldn't find one in the store yet they are all over the internet.... sealed copies at a large markup.

The vinyl resurgence is being ruined. I started collecting in 2009 and Big Whisky was my first vinyl. I now have 221. I am very selective on what vinyls I buy because a lot are just a plain rip off. People are paying $30 for 120 gram crap pressings where the $10 CD would actually sound better.
Agree with basically all of this and it's the reason I don't even go to RSD anymore. (Though, the weight of a vinyl has virtually zero impact on the sonics. The whole '180g audiophile vinyl' thing is just a marketing ploy.)

I do think that the issues with the RR pressing seem to be way more related to people's equipment than the album itself. My copy should be arriving in a day or so, haven't had a chance to spin myself yet.

Record Stores actually turn very little profit on RSD titles and I absolutely think it's created a culture of people who basically ONLY go to record stores on that one or 2 days a year to get those exclusive releases for their manufactured rarity, then the rest of the year buy their vinyl on Amazon or don't buy vinyl at all.

We've discussed this in the vinyl thread quite a bit but, IMO a much better way to encourage people to shop at indie stores regularly would be to regularly release these titles throughout the year ONLY to brick and mortar indie stores - not available on Amazon or other online retailers. Stop with the crazy limited pressings that do nothing but encourage flippers and piss people off, press enough to meet the demand and kill the ebay flipper culture.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #602
    mrussel1

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Does anyone else here think that Record Store Day has gotten out of control? While the main purpose is to get the customer to support their local record store, it just ends up putting a ton of money in the hands of people that buy things with the intention of immediately selling them for a profit. The average cost of vinyls has gone up $5-20 total while the quality has gone down in many cases. Hell, most DMB releases have had numerous issues while customers like you and I are putting out a lot of money for these things. I had no shot at getting a copy of Red Rocks.... now I am glad I didn't after all the issues I'm hearing about. I had the same problem with Slipknot releasing Volume 3 the Subliminal Verses two years ago. Couldn't find one in the store yet they are all over the internet.... sealed copies at a large markup.

The vinyl resurgence is being ruined. I started collecting in 2009 and Big Whisky was my first vinyl. I now have 221. I am very selective on what vinyls I buy because a lot are just a plain rip off. People are paying $30 for 120 gram crap pressings where the $10 CD would actually sound better.
    Isn't that really the paradox or catch-22 in this whole thing? Vinyl is on a great resurgence, but that creates the secondary markets. I'm sure you have priced a Live Trax Vol 1.. crazy. I have Pearl Jam "Vaults" that aren't limited, but you can only buy them in a short window from Ten Club. One of them goes for almost $400 every day. The Bennaroya album goes for 2K easy.
    My record store only allows 1 purchase per release. You could theoretically turn around and go back in, but the store was almost cleaned of anything good by then so in that case, it worked. Now I did buy the U2 release and it wasn't my plan, but because mine came with a very limited fanzine, it's going for $250+ online (retail was $18). I may sell it because it would pay for a good chunk of my RSD day.
    mrussel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #603
    njdevil26
    The Greater Good

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Agree with basically all of this and it's the reason I don't even go to RSD anymore. (Though, the weight of a vinyl has virtually zero impact on the sonics. The whole '180g audiophile vinyl' thing is just a marketing ploy.)

I do think that the issues with the RR pressing seem to be way more related to people's equipment than the album itself. My copy should be arriving in a day or so, haven't had a chance to spin myself yet.

Record Stores actually turn very little profit on RSD titles and I absolutely think it's created a culture of people who basically ONLY go to record stores on that one or 2 days a year to get those exclusive releases for their manufactured rarity, then the rest of the year buy their vinyl on Amazon or don't buy vinyl at all.

We've discussed this in the vinyl thread quite a bit but, IMO a much better way to encourage people to shop at indie stores regularly would be to regularly release these titles throughout the year ONLY to brick and mortar indie stores - not available on Amazon or other online retailers. Stop with the crazy limited pressings that do nothing but encourage flippers and piss people off, press enough to meet the demand and kill the ebay flipper culture.
    Interesting about the weight. I do have some 140 gram albums that sound good and some 180's that sound terrible (looking at you Gojira-L'Enfant Sauvage).

I go to Vintage Vinyl in Fords NJ every Friday. I used to shop exclusively on Amazon for vinyls but over the past year or 2.... vinyl on Amazon has gotten more expensive to the point where there's no difference in price between Amazon and the actual store.

The flipper culture is definitely a huge problem. I wish more people just appreciated the music. I open every vinyl I buy immediately and listen to it. I have some that I can probably sell for $100-400 but that's not why I buy them.
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #604
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There's a lot here so I'm going to multiquote

Quote:
    Does anyone else here think that Record Store Day has gotten out of control? While the main purpose is to get the customer to support their local record store, it just ends up putting a ton of money in the hands of people that buy things with the intention of immediately selling them for a profit.
    I think some of the manufactured rarity is out of hand, but that has really always been the case with RSD. It's called record store day, not record collectors day. It's still about getting people into a shop and spending money, not necessarily about helping out vinyl enthusiasts.

Quote:
    The average cost of vinyls has gone up $5-20 total while the quality has gone down in many cases.
    The price of records, in general, has stayed fairly in line with inflation. A single LP is ~$20, a 2xLP is $35ish. That single LP at $20 in 2017 is equal to $8.80 in 1985. Some things are overpriced, especially gimmicky stuff. But things that are well mastered and produced are fairly in line with historical pricing, adjusted for inflation.

Quote:
    Hell, most DMB releases have had numerous issues while customers like you and I are putting out a lot of money for these things. I had no shot at getting a copy of Red Rocks.... now I am glad I didn't after all the issues I'm hearing about.
    A lot of the issues have been overblown. Things like skipping are generally an issue with the turntable, minus a locked groove skip, as seen by some of the posts in the last page re:LP60. Red Rocks sounds fantastic and was a great release. Crash sounds absolutely stunning, the issue people had was with a splatter color release Amazon put out not looking pretty. UTTAD was good, though could have been all analog so there was some grumbling. Ted Jensen used the wrong source reel for Jimi Thing which was a mispress but it was corrected and the sound is fairly good (though not as good as it could have been if Bellman had gotten to do it AAA). The Live Trax series and R2T/Recently were well done and sound as good as possible given their source.

Quote:
    Just FWIW, the weight of a vinyl record has (generally) no bearing on the sound quality.

People should be format agnostic. If the vinyl release has the same master as the CD, yes the CD is a better option and will sound better (as will digital files). If there is a separate vinyl master, there is a chance it is less compressed and will sound better than a CD/digital file. I love releases on SACD and Blu-ray Audio. If you care about the sound, you can usually dig a bit to find the best sounding format.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #605
    njdevil26
    The Greater Good

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrussel1 View Post
    Isn't that really the paradox or catch-22 in this whole thing? Vinyl is on a great resurgence, but that creates the secondary markets. I'm sure you have priced a Live Trax Vol 1.. crazy. I have Pearl Jam "Vaults" that aren't limited, but you can only buy them in a short window from Ten Club. One of them goes for almost $400 every day. The Bennaroya album goes for 2K easy.
    My record store only allows 1 purchase per release. You could theoretically turn around and go back in, but the store was almost cleaned of anything good by then so in that case, it worked. Now I did buy the U2 release and it wasn't my plan, but because mine came with a very limited fanzine, it's going for $250+ online (retail was $18). I may sell it because it would pay for a good chunk of my RSD day.
    It really is crazy. No one is really doing anything to help the situation though. I would love some of the old Phish albums on vinyl... but they are $50 each. They are always in stock at the store I go to so it's not like they are super rare and disappearing forever... There's no reason for it to be $50.

I like the way Vintage Vinyl does things (the store I go to in NJ). They keep one of each record on the shelf. So if you are going to look for something, you are only going to find one of them. Once that one is purchased, someone will grab another and put it back on the shelf. It stops people from grabbing several of the same thing.
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #606
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Also, as an etiquette FYI, the plural of vinyl is "vinyl" (or more appropriately "records"/"albums"). It's one of those words that doesn't need the 's' to make it plural, though vinyl being the material of the format I prefer to use "record" and "records". We don't call CDs "polycarbonate plastics"
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 AM   #607
    njdevil26
    The Greater Good

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Also, as an etiquette FYI, the plural of vinyl is "vinyl" (or more appropriately "records"/"albums"). It's one of those words that doesn't need the 's' to make it plural, though vinyl being the material of the format I prefer to use "record" and "records". We don't call CDs "polycarbonate plastics"
    No... just glorified office supplies haha.

Okay fine I will use the correct vernacular.
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #608
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It really is crazy. No one is really doing anything to help the situation though. I would love some of the old Phish albums on vinyl... but they are $50 each. They are always in stock at the store I go to so it's not like they are super rare and disappearing forever... There's no reason for it to be $50.
    I'd argue the Phish releases are worth the $$. They're (mostly) all analog mastered and cut, well pressed, and sound phenomenal. They are a bit limited, but do pop back up on dry goods from time to time.

To each their own, I know $50 seems like a lot to spend on an album, but it is a well made product and priced according to the cost/effort put into the production of it
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #609
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No... just glorified office supplies haha.

Okay fine I will use the correct vernacular.
    Haha touche! And I didn't mean to nitpick, just wanted to give a heads up - though I know it probably comes off elitist to make that comment. No offense meant by it!
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #610
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

I think that's the crux of the whole thing with this vinyl 'resurgence', you kind of have two sub-niche's within the bigger niche - you've got people like Doby, BTBaboon, myself who are concerned with sonics and finding the best possible sounding version of a given recording. In a lot of cases, that ends up being vinyl.

Then you've got other people who dig vinyl simply because they think it's cool for whatever reason - nostalgia, novelty, enjoying physical product, etc... who want to get a release 'because it's on vinyl' even if it doesn't sound any better than another, cheaper digital option. I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all, there's nothing wrong with that if that's your thing and you're not an 'audiophile' (a term I hate - what makes you an audiophile? Is it anyone who cares about great sound? Do you have to have a $10,000 rig to qualify as one? )

So because of that, you end up with this really difficult to navigate landscape of vinyl releases these days - some of them done with a lot of care and attention to detail (like Crash and RR95) and some of them just a copy of the same compressed digital master slapped onto a piece of vinyl (like AFTW, since we're using DMB-related examples here.)

Old 04-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #611
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I like the way Vintage Vinyl does things (the store I go to in NJ). They keep one of each record on the shelf. So if you are going to look for something, you are only going to find one of them. Once that one is purchased, someone will grab another and put it back on the shelf. It stops people from grabbing several of the same thing.

Funny you mention Vintage Vinyl in NJ. Not sure if you're a hard rock/metal guy (you mentioned you dig Slipknot and Gojira, so I'm going to assume yes? haha) but Eddie Trunk had the own of Vintage Vinyl on his daily show on Sirius/XM Volume the other day talking about RSD and giving some insight on the store. That's where Eddie did all his music shopping as a kid and he had some cool stories. The episode is available On Demand if you happen to have satellite radio.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #612
    jarguitar86
    Content and Dreaming

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I acquired #2163 from my local record shop, Rediscover Records, for $79 - have a Sony PS-X45 turntable & have had zero issues. Sound is great! (my neighbors love it too)
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #613
    njdevil26
    The Greater Good

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Funny you mention Vintage Vinyl in NJ. Not sure if you're a hard rock/metal guy (you mentioned you dig Slipknot and Gojira, so I'm going to assume yes? haha) but Eddie Trunk had the own of Vintage Vinyl on his daily show on Sirius/XM Volume the other day talking about RSD and giving some insight on the store. That's where Eddie did all his music shopping as a kid and he had some cool stories. The episode is available On Demand if you happen to have satellite radio.
    I don't have satellite radio but I'll see if I can find that interview anywhere. I love that store.... and yeah I'm a big fan of metal. That is a great place for it. My last trip to VV was for the new albums from Amon Amarth, Kreator, and Mastodon.

I will spend more $$ on records if it is something I am really into. My fiance got me the 20th anniversary vinyl box set for Rammstein for Christmas. That was about $250 and is totally worth it. It has seven 2x records in there.
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #614
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't have satellite radio but I'll see if I can find that interview anywhere. I love that store.... and yeah I'm a big fan of metal. That is a great place for it. My last trip to VV was for the new albums from Amon Amarth, Kreator, and Mastodon.

I will spend more $$ on records if it is something I am really into. My fiance got me the 20th anniversary vinyl box set for Rammstein for Christmas. That was about $250 and is totally worth it. It has seven 2x records in there.
    It's cool if you can find it. Eddie has a free podcast every Thursday too and he puts a lot of the interviews from his show on there, not sure if that one will make it to the podcast or not. Hell if you can't, PM me and I'll shoot you my login so you can listen online.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #615
    njdevil26
    The Greater Good

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Haha touche! And I didn't mean to nitpick, just wanted to give a heads up - though I know it probably comes off elitist to make that comment. No offense meant by it!
    Haha it's all good.
    Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #616
    mrussel1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think that's the crux of the whole thing with this vinyl 'resurgence', you kind of have two sub-niche's within the bigger niche - you've got people like Doby, BTBaboon, myself who are concerned with sonics and finding the best possible sounding version of a given recording. In a lot of cases, that ends up being vinyl.

Then you've got other people who dig vinyl simply because they think it's cool for whatever reason - nostalgia, novelty, enjoying physical product, etc... who want to get a release 'because it's on vinyl' even if it doesn't sound any better than another, cheaper digital option. I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all, there's nothing wrong with that if that's your thing and you're not an 'audiophile' (a term I hate - what makes you an audiophile? Is it anyone who cares about great sound? Do you have to have a $10,000 rig to qualify as one? )

So because of that, you end up with this really difficult to navigate landscape of vinyl releases these days - some of them done with a lot of care and attention to detail (like Crash and RR95) and some of them just a copy of the same compressed digital master slapped onto a piece of vinyl (like AFTW, since we're using DMB-related examples here.)
    Generally speaking, I only buy vinyl for the acoustics of it. If it sounds like a cd on a piece of wax, I'm pissed. That's how I felt about UTTAD, to be honest. But for a few bands, PJ and DMB, I'm a completist either way.

For everyone else, I get particular about reading reviews on Hoffman and Discogs. When you get a piece of vinyl that really exceeds the other format, it's awesome. For example, Steely Dan Aja (original AB-1060) is just a work of art on a good system. I can never get sick of it.
    Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #617
    WidespreadMule3

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Throwing my two cents on RSD in to the ring...

I have zero issue with RSD. The store I go to has good products, tries to get what the patrons want and a reasonable quantity that's allowed. I haven't had an issue getting the releases I want except my first year to go (LT 1 which was just a production number issue). The last 3 years, I've been one of the first 5 into the store. Normally, it's the same people out there every year so it's a bit like a reunion that I look forward to.

While I do dislike that so many people are unable to get their hands on the releases they want, I will say I haven't. And I put in the effort to getting there at an appropriate time to get those releases, much like I would expect anyone who wants them bad enough. I would prefer to sleep in, click order on my phone and have it delivered in two days, that defeats the point. RSD forces me to get up and hang out at my record store. I love patronizing the two record stores I frequent. I try to go to either at least once a month, so no, I don't need a day to celebrate record stores, BUT it is fun to visit and celebrate. It's the same as any holiday - I don't need Memorial Day to celebrate the lives of the men and women who died for this country, but it's a nice way to commemorate them.

As for the stores that lose money on the stock - well, stock better! My stores have zero issue moving their product. Come 2/3 PM on RSD there's usually only a handful of titles left for people to pick through at the stores I frequent. They know their customers. They work to get to know their names. The store I visited for RSD this year, the owner came out an hour before opening to thank everyone personally for attending and asked how everyone in line was doing. He made it a point to be personable. And he mentioned so many times "Yeah, I figured you'd want [xxxxx] release so I made sure to get it for you." That's why he doesn't have any leftovers.

Scalpers. I don't like them and I hate that they prevent people from purchasing the records that other fans are wanting, BUT that's a label issue in my opinion. The releases that have a large production number don't have typically have a high flip rate. Look at the Doors, Grateful Dead, etc. releases every year. They press somewhere north of 6K records for RSD and you can still find those albums on eBay for basically face value. To me, the issue isn't scalpers, it's supply and demand. Besides most of the albums that get scalped you're only seeing like 10-15% of the actually albums being flipped. That means somewhere north of 80% of the pressed releases are in the hands of fans.

But I can't blame the scalpers. It's an easy way to have your RSD paid for. I'm not saying it's right or that I want them to do it. But they put in the time, effort, energy and money, if they want to sell their bounty on eBay to see what they can get then that's their business. When I was in line this past time we joked (seriously cannot emphasize that word enough - the joys of delirious nights of no sleep) about buying one everything and walking out and throwing them on the ground because we purchased them and it was our right to do what we wanted with them.

I know most people will disagree with me on a lot of this but I just wanted to throw my two cents in and share a different viewpoint of RSD. I still love it and will continue to go if there are releases that I want. I do wish they'd problem solve the way to get more records in the hands of more fans but it all goes back to supply and demand. Sometimes you just can't meet the demand.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #618
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Throwing my two cents on RSD in to the ring...

I have zero issue with RSD. The store I go to has good products, tries to get what the patrons want and a reasonable quantity that's allowed. I haven't had an issue getting the releases I want except my first year to go (LT 1 which was just a production number issue). The last 3 years, I've been one of the first 5 into the store. Normally, it's the same people out there every year so it's a bit like a reunion that I look forward to.

While I do dislike that so many people are unable to get their hands on the releases they want, I will say I haven't. And I put in the effort to getting there at an appropriate time to get those releases, much like I would expect anyone who wants them bad enough. I would prefer to sleep in, click order on my phone and have it delivered in two days, that defeats the point. RSD forces me to get up and hang out at my record store. I love patronizing the two record stores I frequent. I try to go to either at least once a month, so no, I don't need a day to celebrate record stores, BUT it is fun to visit and celebrate. It's the same as any holiday - I don't need Memorial Day to celebrate the lives of the men and women who died for this country, but it's a nice way to commemorate them.

As for the stores that lose money on the stock - well, stock better! My stores have zero issue moving their product. Come 2/3 PM on RSD there's usually only a handful of titles left for people to pick through at the stores I frequent. They know their customers. They work to get to know their names. The store I visited for RSD this year, the owner came out an hour before opening to thank everyone personally for attending and asked how everyone in line was doing. He made it a point to be personable. And he mentioned so many times "Yeah, I figured you'd want [xxxxx] release so I made sure to get it for you." That's why he doesn't have any leftovers.

Scalpers. I don't like them and I hate that they prevent people from purchasing the records that other fans are wanting, BUT that's a label issue in my opinion. The releases that have a large production number don't have typically have a high flip rate. Look at the Doors, Grateful Dead, etc. releases every year. They press somewhere north of 6K records for RSD and you can still find those albums on eBay for basically face value. To me, the issue isn't scalpers, it's supply and demand. Besides most of the albums that get scalped you're only seeing like 10-15% of the actually albums being flipped. That means somewhere north of 80% of the pressed releases are in the hands of fans.

But I can't blame the scalpers. It's an easy way to have your RSD paid for. I'm not saying it's right or that I want them to do it. But they put in the time, effort, energy and money, if they want to sell their bounty on eBay to see what they can get then that's their business. When I was in line this past time we joked (seriously cannot emphasize that word enough - the joys of delirious nights of no sleep) about buying one everything and walking out and throwing them on the ground because we purchased them and it was our right to do what we wanted with them.

I know most people will disagree with me on a lot of this but I just wanted to throw my two cents in and share a different viewpoint of RSD. I still love it and will continue to go if there are releases that I want. I do wish they'd problem solve the way to get more records in the hands of more fans but it all goes back to supply and demand. Sometimes you just can't meet the demand.
    100% to all of this
    Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #619
    mrussel1

My Tour Central Stats

^^I love RSD too. And on Sunday I went to two other record stores to see if there was anything decent milling around and there was very little inventory left. So I don't know what the margins are on the records, but for our stores here in Richmond VA, they all burned through what they bought. If they didn't make great money on Saturday, well they aren't making shit the rest of the year either.
    Old 04-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #620
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrussel1 View Post
    ^^I love RSD too. And on Sunday I went to two other record stores to see if there was anything decent milling around and there was very little inventory left. So I don't know what the margins are on the records, but for our stores here in Richmond VA, they all burned through what they bought. If they didn't make great money on Saturday, well they aren't making shit the rest of the year either.
    That's the thing too. I know the margins aren't huge for RSD items (or any new album, really) but they make their buck on those and then get a good profit from the used stuff they sell. My shop has a great selection of used records year round, but they get some great stuff in for RSD. Other than DMB, my favorite pickup last week was a used copy of the MFSL pressing of REM's 'Document'
    Old 04-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #621
    Rnk13

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

For those still looking, Central Square Records just posted on Instagram that they have 10 more in stock. I ordered over the phone from them earlier this week, and they apparently have already shipped it out. Was on the higher end of the range I've seen ($98), FWIW.

Link: https://instagram.com/p/BTZy1N4h0sB/
    Rnk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #622
    markbaggs

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rnk13 View Post
    For those still looking, Central Square Records just posted on Instagram that they have 10 more in stock. I ordered over the phone from them earlier this week, and they apparently have already shipped it out. Was on the higher end of the range I've seen ($98), FWIW.

Thanks so much! Just scooped #159, they still have 8 copies left. Super friendly over the phone. They were a bit pricey, but considering they have them in stock and aren't flipping them I'm ok with it.
    markbaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #623
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rnk13 View Post

Picked up the dark crystal thanks still searching for the dead release
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #624
    mrussel1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's the thing too. I know the margins aren't huge for RSD items (or any new album, really) but they make their buck on those and then get a good profit from the used stuff they sell. My shop has a great selection of used records year round, but they get some great stuff in for RSD. Other than DMB, my favorite pickup last week was a used copy of the MFSL pressing of REM's 'Document'
    Very nice. I picked up an original copy of Steely Dan El Gaucho. It wasn't cleaned so it was only 8 bucks. Took it home and cleaned it by hand and it was absolutely perfect! Also got Billy Joel Greatest Hits 1&2 for 8 bucks.. same deal. Dirty, but cleaned it to VG+ with no problem.
    Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #625
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    some 180's that sound terrible (looking at you Gojira-L'Enfant Sauvage).
    Shoot, I guess I'll take that one off my ISO list. What dont you like about the sound? All my other Gojira albums sound really great.

As far as ripping vinyl, it has its place. I have a lot of old hardcore/punk records that were never put out on a format other than vinyl (every band had a 7" when they played shows in the mid-90s) so I have converted those into digital, other than that I have most of my music in multiple formats anyway (mostly CDs that I convert to 320k mp3s for mobile listening).

RSD (or at least as practiced at the store I go to) is still a fun event. Some of it is the regular crowd that gathers and the conversations we have before the doors open. I see most of them from time to time throughout the year, but we are not really ever all together except for RSD. And I think some companies put out product because of RSD that might not otherwise have every come about (The Jaco box set, and Thelonious Monk set from this year are good examples). But, the artificial rarity that drives the secondary market gets really old really quick. I would prefer that everything done in limited #'s be an "RSD First" title. Go ahead and press 500 copies and translucent rainbow swirl that smells like banana when you scratch it, but then press a ton of plain old black ones un-numbered and in sufficient quantity to keep it available for awhile at non-inflated prices. The real absurdities are like DMB LT4, the "limited and rare RSD release" was 2000 numbered copies. The regular black release? 1000 copies. I'm not a mathematician, but I can see that the non-RSD is actually more rare, but the orange one that is twice as common sells for more money. Thats the baffling downside to the vinyl resurgence. But if thats what it took for Sony Music to give us Crash AAA? I'll take the good with the bad.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #626
    LeftyDv

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

You guys are good people... maybe you can help me out. Know any stores with either Cure record still available? There's gotta be one left somewhere, right?

Thanks!
    LeftyDv is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #627
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeftyDv View Post
    You guys are good people... maybe you can help me out. Know any stores with either Cure record still available? There's gotta be one left somewhere, right?

Thanks!
    Check Discogs for sellers there. There's people 'flipping' for profit there too, but a lot of sellers will sell for face. I got both RSD things that I really wanted (Drive-By Truckers and DMB Red Rocks) from sellers on Discogs for face value.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #628
    trpnbili40

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjobes View Post

Once again, thank you for the heads up. Came today, 79.99 with free shipping! Very well packaged too
    trpnbili40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #629
    cjobes

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trpnbili40 View Post
    Once again, thank you for the heads up. Came today, 79.99 with free shipping! Very well packaged too

Awesome. Hopefully yours plays fine all the way through. Hate to see some people having problems with their copies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cjobes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #630
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

#1871 for me.

Can't wait to listen to it tonight!
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote