Guitar Theory - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #91
Pipsqueak
terrorist ass-kicker

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Guitar Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by il bacio dolce
Can anybody break this down for me? I don't understand the whole order of flats/order of sharps thing. Also, what is an octave?

also...
Think of an octave like this...

do ra me fa so la ti do

the second "do" is one octave higher than the first.

you will experience the same effect as you play a scale on your guitar.

hope that helps
And Guitar Theory rules too.
Pipsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #92
    DMDream
    Run!!

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Question for you all...

Lets say I'm using a common major key chord progression (ex. C Am F G just for an example)

can I substitute an add9, add11, 7th, 9th, 11th, sus, etc... for any of those chords or are thier "rules" for using chords like that.

I ask because I've been learning to play a lot of maj7th and add9 and other cool chords and I really like their sound but I'm not sure how they fit with other chords.
    DMDream is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #93
    Pipsqueak
    terrorist ass-kicker

My Tour Central Stats

They should be diatonic to the key you're playing.

I covered a lot of this on page 2 of this thread......see if I answer your questions there.
    If not, maybe you could come back with a more specific question..........nothing against the one you already asked......but it could take me 30 minutes to type a lesson on that subject. (and I think I already have a couple times in this thread)

check it out and let me know....
    Old 04-27-2005, 09:48 PM   #94
    DMDream
    Run!!

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I don't think page 2 answers my question I should have been a little more specific, so here goes...

I've been playing around with a lot of add9 and add11 chords lately trying to figure out some good progressions that go well together. I'm wondering what the rules (I know music has no set rules really) are to mix and match add9, add11, etc. chords into the same progression. Do they all have to be add9 in the progression, or can just one of them be?

example: For a major key the V chord resolves to a I very well (I vi IV V I progression), and so on, but do these "rules" apply when you change the V chord to a Vadd9 or a Vmaj9 or etc...(I know I can use my ears and listen, but I'm wondering if there is a technical way about this)

Please don't think you need to sit down and write a whole lesson on this, if it's a too deep, theory wise, to get into I'll understand, but otherwise I'm just curious.

-Dave
    DMDream is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #95
    PerfectStorm
    Future R.N.

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

This is amazing...just getting ready to start learning and I feel like I already know something... Thanks for the lessons. Honestly one of the best tips I've gotten yet.

PerfectStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #96
    iamthestone

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

i never really dug the CAGED system......it seems like its too advanced for people just starting out.......i teach basic guitar to some people, and i tried the CAGED system with one of them and it was just too confusing......i had them instead play every C A G E and D from lowest to highest or vice versa, and the students that played the notes by recognizing their octaves without me having to say anything are the ones that arent gonna be such a headache, haha....but i had them show me 5 different ways to play a maj chord, then use a word synonomous with arpeggiate(they come in already knowing that as a musical term so they get a little nervous hearing it), so after they actually do it tell them what theyre doing and it gives them a little more confidence.....not a lot, haha......but i found it alot easier for people to start with a single note.....F on the low E, then an F on the D, then an on the B, then explain that an F on the B is also the first fret on the high E, then they get how there are really only seven notes on a guitar.....it just helps make it a little more closed, but without all the rhetoric of the CAGED.....but, again, thats just for beginning guitar players
    iamthestone is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #97
    giantsfan

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMDream
    Yeah I don't think page 2 answers my question I should have been a little more specific, so here goes...

I've been playing around with a lot of add9 and add11 chords lately trying to figure out some good progressions that go well together. I'm wondering what the rules (I know music has no set rules really) are to mix and match add9, add11, etc. chords into the same progression. Do they all have to be add9 in the progression, or can just one of them be?

example: For a major key the V chord resolves to a I very well (I vi IV V I progression), and so on, but do these "rules" apply when you change the V chord to a Vadd9 or a Vmaj9 or etc...(I know I can use my ears and listen, but I'm wondering if there is a technical way about this)

Please don't think you need to sit down and write a whole lesson on this, if it's a too deep, theory wise, to get into I'll understand, but otherwise I'm just curious.

-Dave
    well the basis of all diatonic harmony is based on the tonic (I), mediant (III), and dominant (V) notes, that's how major chords are formed. if you really want to get technical, its because of the ratio of frequencies for each note.
    giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-20-2005, 04:00 AM   #98
    Pipsqueak
    terrorist ass-kicker

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone have the book "Theory for the Contemporary Guitarist" by Guy Capuzzo?

It's put out by the National Guitar Workshop.

Drop me a PM or a note in here if you have it.
    Old 12-26-2005, 09:33 AM   #99
    dpresti

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

hey, i'm a bass player and this is my 1st time in this sticky.. i didnt read everything yet.. it would take forever..

but..

do you have a good area specifially to benefit bass players knowledge of scales and theory? i'm know a fair share of theory and have been playing for 2 years now.. but i want to learn more.. where is a good spot to do that?

is that another good website for bass theory?
    Old 01-01-2006, 07:33 AM   #100
    Pipsqueak
    terrorist ass-kicker

My Tour Central Stats

hmm...I'm not really sure of a good bass theory website....

I'll check with some guys I know and post back if I find anything worthwhile.
    Old 02-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #101
    earl
    Midnight Toker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMDream

-Dave
    the V>I "rule" never changes. That cadence sounds good because of the first, third, and fifth notes of each chord, which don't change when you add extensions (like 7ths or ninths).

For writing chord progressions with extensions, you have to make sure the notes are diatonic to the key you're in (in the same key). For example:

Say you're writing in E, which is E F# G# A B C# D#.

If you were to harmonize this in ninths, you'd have...

E maj 9 - E G# B D# F#
    F#m9 - F# A C# E G# (NOT a major ninth, a major ninth would have an F, a major seventh interval, this is just a seventh here)
    G#m9 - G# B D# F# A
    A maj 9 - A C# E G# B
    B9 - B D# F# A C#
    C#m9 - C# E G# B D#
    D#m9 dim. - D# F# A C# E

You don't have to make everything a ninth chord, that was just an example. If you wanted to make the A and add 4 chord, you would just add the fourth tone from A, which would be A C# D# E.

These aren't techinical rules, but guidelines. They can be broken. In blues, for example, you normally won't find a maj7 for the IV chord (here, A), you'd find a regular dominant 7th - A C# E G. The G is a flatted third in E, and a flatted seventh in the A chord. Flatted thirds, fifths, and sevenths give the blues that distinct sound.
    earl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #102
    earl
    Midnight Toker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpresti
    hey, i'm a bass player and this is my 1st time in this sticky.. i didnt read everything yet.. it would take forever..

but..

do you have a good area specifially to benefit bass players knowledge of scales and theory? i'm know a fair share of theory and have been playing for 2 years now.. but i want to learn more.. where is a good spot to do that?

is that another good website for bass theory?

I don't play bass but check out www.cyberfretbass.com
    earl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2006, 01:27 AM   #103
    dmbband6

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

pipsqueak,

your by far the coolest person i have ever come across. I have been trying to learn this but havent really figured it out until your messages. i still do have some questions, but i'll ask them to you after i try to figure them out a bit more. And if you wouldnt mind e-mailing me this document that'd be great. Once again, I really appreciate it. monkeymike1@yahoo.com
    dmbband6 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #104
    Pipsqueak
    terrorist ass-kicker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbband6
    pipsqueak,

your by far the coolest person i have ever come across. I have been trying to learn this but havent really figured it out until your messages. i still do have some questions, but i'll ask them to you after i try to figure them out a bit more. And if you wouldnt mind e-mailing me this document that'd be great. Once again, I really appreciate it. monkeymike1@yahoo.com
    Well thanks.....but the real "thank you" is to the people I learned from....because that's where the information I posted came from.

good luck!
    Old 02-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #105
    Mikearney 25
    TallyUpOneMoreForMe

Shows Seen: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I know (from reading) that you have heard it a thousand times, but thank you so much adam for just typing all of this out. I just spent 3 hours reading most of this thread and playing along to learn. Its so nice to get the equivalent to a lesson finally after about a year of trying to teach myself everything. I've been able to work hard enough to learn a lot on my own, but there's only so much one can do. This is really gonna help me move on a lot faster.

Thanks again,

Mike

Certain: 6.7 - 6.9 - 6.10
    Possible: 7.5 - 8.1 - 8.2
    Mikearney 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #106
    The-Last-Stop

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I dont really understand theory and am getting pretty serious with my guitar playing, can anyone reccomend a book or maybe a movie that can help teach me theory over the summer. Thanks

"Sweet sugar lips, push from the hips, woman looks just like love, Without a care, she floats above, She's got me down here looking up."~DJM
    The-Last-Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #107
    georifer
    Starlake 2012 D Loop

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

nice thread thanks
    Old 07-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #108
    afro_iman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The-Last-Stop
    I dont really understand theory and am getting pretty serious with my guitar playing, can anyone reccomend a book or maybe a movie that can help teach me theory over the summer. Thanks
    Hey check out the jazz theory book by mark levine. it starts easy but it covers sooo much. it is one of the most useful books i've ever seen. a bit expensive but worth every cent. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...lance&n=283155
    afro_iman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #109
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

If I'm listening to a song, how can I tell if its in A minor natural or C major. The two keys have the same exact notes in their scale...
    Old 09-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #110
    songndance

My Tour Central Stats

excellentt!
    songndance is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #111
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

great idea for a thread, i'm gonna start using it!
    Old 10-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #112
    Pipsqueak
    terrorist ass-kicker

My Tour Central Stats

So......all you good people get all the theory down?

Just wanted to say "hello".
    Old 12-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #113
    katak

My Tour Central Stats

I have heard somewhere that learning to play with electoguitar more simle than with acoustic one. Is it true?
    katak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #114
    dmb4everann

My Tour Central Stats

Hey, I just wanted to say that was a cool first post to this thread. I'm just starting to play guitar myself, inspired by Dave for sure.

You know when you see them live, and it's just like.. how does he do that at the same time as sing?

There aren't that many other players like that.

Lately I've totally been getting into Cas Lucas, and wow, he is a sick guitar player. (http://myspace.com/caslucas) I don't know what he's playing, but it's pretty cool. Check it out.

OK. Just saying hey.

Ann
    dmb4everann is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #115
    THE STONE MAN
    Eat, Drink & B Merry

My Tour Central Stats

New to Ants,
    I play blues harp as a hobby, mostly in 2nd position. Can anyone tell me keys to play in 2nd possition for a few of DMB songs.

Thanks,
    The Stone Man
    THE STONE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #116
    DMBnick15
    Cardinal Baseball!

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I have the very basic skill in guitar (barely though) and is it possible for me to just learn dave songs? or do i need to go thoruhg all the lessons to learn about chords? ex. learn how to play a certain song with out knowing the chords.. is that possible and easy?
    DMBnick15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #117
    joseph_baring
    Papa JoeB

Shows Seen: 185

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    final page count: 37
    - each topic has it's own page start

words: 12,868

you guys can edit it if you want, i've at least got the ball moving

download: http://www.itypical.com/john/guitartheory.doc

*right click, save target as. you need microsoft word 97 or higher
    Hi, Does anyone have the word doc mentioned above? The link no longer works.

Thanks, JoeB
    joseph_baring is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #118
    mikedevoss6
    She is attractive.

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

So I'm working on finding keys and key changes and my teacher forgot to write down anything about them before telling me to analyze. I know that these are what I need to use:

Major minor minor Major Major minor minor
    Major minor minor Major Dominant minor Diminished

and maybe there's one for minor keys but I really have no clue. I get it for most songs but these with 7ths and stuff are screwing me up. Here is the chord progression:

Am7 D7 Gmaj7 Cmaj7 F#ø B7 Em7 Am7 D7 Gmaj7 Cmaj7 F#ø B7 Em7
    mikedevoss6 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #119
    whiteysax
    washOUTthisTIREDnotion

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikedevoss6 View Post
    So I'm working on finding keys and key changes and my teacher forgot to write down anything about them before telling me to analyze. I know that these are what I need to use:

Major minor minor Major Major minor minor
    Major minor minor Major Dominant minor Diminished

and maybe there's one for minor keys but I really have no clue. I get it for most songs but these with 7ths and stuff are screwing me up. Here is the chord progression:

Am7 D7 Gmaj7 Cmaj7 F#ø B7 Em7 Am7 D7 Gmaj7 Cmaj7 F#ø B7 Em7
    is this a progression for a song? i'm not sure what your assignment was asking for. When you add a seventh to your chord, you end up with a new set of tonalities. Instead of just major, minor, diminished, and augmented chords, you get major-minor combinations (major-major, major-minor, minor-minor, and my favorite - minor-major)... as well as your dominant diminished chords (full diminished and half diminished). Are these what you're working on?
    Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #120
    mikedevoss6
    She is attractive.

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiteysax View Post
    is this a progression for a song? i'm not sure what your assignment was asking for. When you add a seventh to your chord, you end up with a new set of tonalities. Instead of just major, minor, diminished, and augmented chords, you get major-minor combinations (major-major, major-minor, minor-minor, and my favorite - minor-major)... as well as your dominant diminished chords (full diminished and half diminished). Are these what you're working on?
    Yeah it's a progression for a song. The assignment is to identify the key changes and state what the keys are and in what position of the key they're in(1, 2, 5, etc). I'm not familiar with (major-minor, minor-minor, etc) so I don't think that's it.

Last edited by mikedevoss6; 05-30-2007 at 09:30 AM.
    mikedevoss6 is offline   Reply With Quote