Old 06-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #31
axelrod

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2018 Mindset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
I dont see this happening at all. We wouldve heard studio rumblings.

Frankly I dont want them to tour that much.
It's June 2017.....

Dave is taking the rest of the summer off before Farm Aid.

December 2008 is when they announced a new album/ tour for the following spring. There is plenty of time to get into the studio
axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #32
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Its obvious they still enjoy playing and Dave still enjoys the songs (or just to lazy to learn/write new ones). I genuinely wish they'd take a year off and do zero shows, spend time with their families. There's so few other bands that actually tour to the extent they do.

But I've heard lots of musicians say that once you get used to traveling all the time it's hard to settle down and not travel. Maybe they just can't sit still. Who knows. All in all, if they come back I want it to be good. If it's gonna be like the last 3-4 years I'd rather they take another year.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #33
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Ya I don't see them slowing down any time soon. Probably a new album next year, more touring etc.

I wish, like others have said, theyd do less stops and more 2 night stands. Also wouldn't mind if they went separate ways for a few more years either, continuing with the D&T or another Dave solo record- but as I originally stated I don't see the band breaking again or slowing down anytime soon so that's just wishful thinking.
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #34
    bamashane1975
    Neon shines.....

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I'm new to the boards, but not new to the band. And this may belong in another thread all together. But one of the prevailing themes among the posts I have viewed in my very short time on the forum, is the longing for "deep tracks" for lack of better terms at live shows. Rarely played titles, taking risks, broadening their horizon, etc, etc. I have seen more than one post that this is not the same band it once was. Outside of basic human nature to want more and more of everything, its my humble opinion, that we simply forget sometimes how great this band is, and how good these tried and true tracks really are. I'd love to create my own set list for the band too, and include a few doozies that just wont ever hit the stage again. At the same time, I also won't ever get over what its like to be in section 100 at any show and hear Bartender or Stay or Leave. For my money, there's simply not a more talented group of musicians playing music together anywhere on this planet. Twenty five years in.....they are still their own genre, and the "same ole same ole tracks" are a big reason why. I always go into a show with a few "hope so" tracks........but am still blown away with the first note of every song played....even if that song is Crash. Here's hoping the full band is back with a passion in 2018....and playing whatever the hell they want :-)
    bamashane1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #35
    TimHonks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bamashane1975 View Post
    I'm new to the boards, but not new to the band. And this may belong in another thread all together. But one of the prevailing themes among the posts I have viewed in my very short time on the forum, is the longing for "deep tracks" for lack of better terms at live shows. Rarely played titles, taking risks, broadening their horizon, etc, etc. I have seen more than one post that this is not the same band it once was. Outside of basic human nature to want more and more of everything, its my humble opinion, that we simply forget sometimes how great this band is, and how good these tried and true tracks really are. I'd love to create my own set list for the band too, and include a few doozies that just wont ever hit the stage again. At the same time, I also won't ever get over what its like to be in section 100 at any show and hear Bartender or Stay or Leave. For my money, there's simply not a more talented group of musicians playing music together anywhere on this planet. Twenty five years in.....they are still their own genre, and the "same ole same ole tracks" are a big reason why. I always go into a show with a few "hope so" tracks........but am still blown away with the first note of every song played....even if that song is Crash. Here's hoping the full band is back with a passion in 2018....and playing whatever the hell they want :-)
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #36
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by axelrod View Post
    It's June 2017.....

Dave is taking the rest of the summer off before Farm Aid.

December 2008 is when they announced a new album/ tour for the following spring. There is plenty of time to get into the studio
    I assume you arent familiar with how slow this band moves in the studio process over the last few albums.

I also dont anticipate these guys getting together at all until they decide to practice before the next tour. I dont see them coming together to work in the studio right away after being apart for a year or more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

Last edited by TheLastPig; 06-30-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #37
    DavedigsmyGF

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Also new to the forum, but not the band. Great post, i totally agree. I mentioned the other day that I like Plastic Girl (which I do) and I got roasted..I don't really get it. Clearly the band (a group of musical geniuses) deemed it a song worth playing for a reason. And I totally get that it isn't everyones favorite DMB song, but to totally trash me for liking it doesn't make sense to me.

My girlfriend loves pretty much every song by DMB, but her favorites are Pig, Funny the way it is, and spoon....Spoon is definitely at the bottom of my DMB list, but its still a beautifully written song and I totally get why a girl may feel more connected to it than a guy.

To me, plastic girl is an awesome song musically with a great breakdown in the middle. It's light and fun and not too deep, contrary to the other new stuff they've come out with.

It's fine if it's not for you, but how can you tell me I'm a fool for liking the song (by DMB no less!)
    DavedigsmyGF is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #38
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavedigsmyGF View Post
    Also new to the forum, but not the band. Great post, i totally agree. I mentioned the other day that I like Plastic Girl (which I do) and I got roasted..I don't really get it. Clearly the band (a group of musical geniuses) deemed it a song worth playing for a reason. And I totally get that it isn't everyones favorite DMB song, but to totally trash me for liking it doesn't make sense to me.

My girlfriend loves pretty much every song by DMB, but her favorites are Pig, Funny the way it is, and spoon....Spoon is definitely at the bottom of my DMB list, but its still a beautifully written song and I totally get why a girl may feel more connected to it than a guy.

To me, plastic girl is an awesome song musically with a great breakdown in the middle. It's light and fun and not too deep, contrary to the other new stuff they've come out with.

It's fine if it's not for you, but how can you tell me I'm a fool for liking the song (by DMB no less!)

To be fair the band played it one time in the middle of the tour last year and didnt touch it again, so that should say something.

The lyrics are absolutely putrid.

Theres some decent music in the bridge for sure, but its miles and miles from a complete song, thats the main issue, it was a jumbled mess with arguably the worst lyrics dave has ever written.

Quote:
    Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #39
    axelrod

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I assume you arent familiar with how slow this band moves in the studio process over the last few albums.

I also dont anticipate these guys getting together at all until they decide to practice before the next tour. I dont see them coming together to work in the studio right away after being apart for a year or more.
    Their last album was actually very quick:

January-February 2012: Recorded the album in Seattle.

April/ May- Lillywhite said the album was virtually done

June- Announced September release date.....

Last edited by axelrod; 06-30-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #40
    DavedigsmyGF

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To be fair the band played it one time in the middle of the tour last year and didnt touch it again, so that should say something.

The lyrics are absolutely putrid.

Theres some decent music in the bridge for sure, but its miles and miles from a complete song, thats the main issue, it was a jumbled mess with arguably the worst lyrics dave has ever written.
    I hear what your saying. Definitely not Grey Street, but it's light, and fun, and different
    Old 06-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #41
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by axelrod View Post
    there last album was actually very quick:

January-February 2012- Recorded the album in Seattle.

April/ May- Lillywhite said the album was virtually done

June- Announced September release date.....
    Right, but that was also with lillywhite who pushes them.

We know of studio recordings that took place way back in 2015 and havent heard a peep outside of a few of those songs popping up last year.

Sure, they could go back and finish with what was there, but common sense tells me they didnt like something or didnt feel it was done and stopped work and havent gone back in nearly 2 years. After taking this time off and us having no reports of them being back in the studio, I strongly doubt they are gonna come back together and go back in the studio without having played any shows.

I can still see an album coming next year, but not until late summer/fall at the very earliest.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 06-30-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Old 06-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #42
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I'm just ready to get back to TX. It's been a summer tradition for us to see DMB in Texas since 2010 (with 2011 being an odd year) and it's always my favorite part of the summer. I hope we still get 2 shows in TX. Anything else is just a nice addition.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #43
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

The most interesting thing to me about 18 and beyond is how they approach tour structure. Do they play fewer shows every year like many seem to want.

Just show up every summer and play around 30 shows in the same spots.

Do the same massive tours till they burnout.

Massive tour/year off repeat.

What will smh summer's look like going forward?
    Old 06-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #44
    DMBWrigley2010

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i'm new to the boards, but not new to the band. And this may belong in another thread all together. But one of the prevailing themes among the posts i have viewed in my very short time on the forum, is the longing for "deep tracks" for lack of better terms at live shows. Rarely played titles, taking risks, broadening their horizon, etc, etc. I have seen more than one post that this is not the same band it once was. Outside of basic human nature to want more and more of everything, its my humble opinion, that we simply forget sometimes how great this band is, and how good these tried and true tracks really are. I'd love to create my own set list for the band too, and include a few doozies that just wont ever hit the stage again. At the same time, i also won't ever get over what its like to be in section 100 at any show and hear bartender or stay or leave. For my money, there's simply not a more talented group of musicians playing music together anywhere on this planet. Twenty five years in.....they are still their own genre, and the "same ole same ole tracks" are a big reason why. I always go into a show with a few "hope so" tracks........but am still blown away with the first note of every song played....even if that song is crash. Here's hoping the full band is back with a passion in 2018....and playing whatever the hell they want :-)
    yahtzee!
    Might have been
    DMBWrigley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #45
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

May I ask what you don't like about the song?
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #46
    BTBaboon

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

A tour to please most people:

May:

Fri 5/11/18 - Woodlands - TX
    Sat 5/12/18 - Dallas - TX
    Tue 5/15/18 - Lakewood - GA
    Wed 5/16/18 Somewhere in VA/NC/SC

[1.5 Week Break]

Fri 5/25/18 - Riverbend - OH
    Sat 5/26/18 - Blossom - OH

June:

Tue 6/5/18 - Holmdel - NJ
    Wed 6/6/18 - Jones Beach - NY
    Fri 6/8/18 - Hartford - CT
    Sat 6/9/19 - Hartford - CT

[1 Week Break]

Fri 6/15/18 - SPAC - NY
    Sat 6/16/18 - SPAC - NY
    Tue 6/19/18 - Lakeview - NY
    Wed 6/20/18 - Toronto - ON, CAN
    Fri 6/22/18 - Starlake - PA
    Sat 6/23/18 - Starlake - PA

[1 Week Break]

Fri 6/29/18 - Mann Center - PA
    Sat 6/30/18 - Mann Center - PA

July:

Fri 7/6/18 - Deer Creek - IN
    Sat 7/7/18 - Deer Creek - IN
    Tue 7/10/18 - DTE - MI
    Wed 7/11/18 - Chicago - IL
    Fri 7/13/18 - Alpine - WI
    Sat 7/14/18 - Alpine - WI

[1 Week Break]

Fri 7/20/18 - Chula Vista - CA
    Sat 7/21/18 - Chula Vista - CA
    Tue 7/24/18 - Stateline - NV
    Wed 7/25/18 - Somewhere in Utah - UT

August:

8/17/18 - Red Rocks - CO
    8/18/19 - Red Rocks - CO

Labor Day @ the Gorge:

8/31/18 - Gorge - WA
    9/1/18 - Gorge - WA
    9/2/18 - Gorge - WA

Canada gets their show, 2-nighters return to Hartford and Burgettstown. The West coast gets some love. Everyone can stop bitching about Red Rocks. And then finish it at the Gorge. 30 shows + labor day at the Gorge. Seems doable while still a few less stops than what they've been doing since they came back after the 2011 Caravans
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #47
    Chumlee67
    A.K.A. Marshmont

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post

May:

[1.5 Week Break]

June:

[1 Week Break]

Fri 6/15/18 - SPAC - NY
    Sat 6/16/18 - SPAC - NY

[1 Week Break]

July:

Tue 7/10/18 - DTE - MI

[1 Week Break]

August:

8/17/18 - Red Rocks - CO
    8/18/19 - Red Rocks - CO

Labor Day @ the Gorge:

8/31/18 - Gorge - WA
    9/1/18 - Gorge - WA
    9/2/18 - Gorge - WA

Canada gets their show, 2-nighters return to Hartford and Burgettstown. The West coast gets some love. Everyone can stop bitching about Red Rocks. And then finish it at the Gorge. 30 shows + labor day at the Gorge. Seems doable while still a few less stops than what they've been doing since they came back after the 2011 Caravans
    I know Hartford seats more people, but honestly I think a weekend split between Hartford and Mansfield would be better.

If they did end up only Hartford; I would probably only do one show, instead of doing the weekend split.

List of Officially Released Tracks:
    Thread -- Website / Document (Defunct) / Sheet (Defunct)
    Last Update: 09/06/2019
    Chumlee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #48
    DavedigsmyGF

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    May I ask what you don't like about the song?
    First off, I like the song. Anything DMB plays is awesome to me. There sound is unmatched in my eyes and their lyrics are always genuine and sincere (including spoon)

Some songs I just like much better than others. This song I find to be very slow. I am not at all a fan of the girl who sings it with Dave also. I dont like the lovely ladies either. i like dave on vocals alone...carter and rashawn provide enough backup...no need for some random duet....

It's definitely one of their more uninteresting songs musically too. Nothing really happens from start to finish...

Having said that, some of DMBs slowest songs are some of my favorites. I love pay for what u get, stolen away, loving wings, etc...spoon is just not up there for me.
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #49
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chumlee67 View Post
    I know Hartford seats more people, but honestly I think a weekend split between Hartford and Mansfield would be better.

If they did end up only Hartford; I would probably only do one show, instead of doing the weekend split.
    Maybe have Jones Beach fuck off then. There's also room to add a few to get back to the 40 shows they've done in years passed. Add Mansfield, Bethel, Scranton, Bangor, etc.

They need more 2 night stops though. I think that helps with set creativity because they can't repeat songs on consecutive nights. Hell, maybe even have a few mid-week 2 nighters.
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #50
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Probably the same old shit if they come back. I'm not sure why anyone would have any faith they'd do anything different than the usual.
    this. sad, but true.
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #51
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This song I find to be very slow. I am not at all a fan of the girl who sings it with Dave also. I dont like the lovely ladies either. i like dave on vocals alone...carter and rashawn provide enough backup...no need for some random duet....
    You mean Alanis Morissette....?

Check out Brandi Carlile help out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwS_oEq0HmA

Quote:
    It's definitely one of their more uninteresting songs musically too. Nothing really happens from start to finish...
    This is just wrong. There's a lot going on in Spoon, both studio and live
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #52
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Listen to the Cville 2010 spoon if you want Dave alone singing. Love the Brandi versions.

And yeah, it's one of their more complex songs musically actually

Quote:
    Old 06-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #53
    DavedigsmyGF

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Listen to the Cville 2010 spoon if you want Dave alone singing. Love the Brandi versions.

And yeah, it's one of their more complex songs musically actually
    Don't get me wrong, every DMB song is EXTREMELY complex musically. There's a reason so many musicians love this band. I am one of them. The song just doesn't please my ears AS MUCH as others. again, im still a fan of the song just definitely not one of my favorites
    Old 06-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #54
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

IMO, Brandi hurts the song. The way she approaches the vocal bothers me.
    Old 06-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #55
    Prezzy

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

May:

[1.5 Week Break]

June:

[1 Week Break]

Fri 6/15/18 - SPAC - NY
    Sat 6/16/18 - SPAC - NY

[1 Week Break]

July:

Tue 7/10/18 - DTE - MI

[1 Week Break]

August:

8/17/18 - Red Rocks - CO
    8/18/19 - Red Rocks - CO

Labor Day @ the Gorge:

8/31/18 - Gorge - WA
    9/1/18 - Gorge - WA
    9/2/18 - Gorge - WA

WPB and the entire SE USA?
    Prezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #56
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prezzy View Post
    WPB and the entire SE USA?
    Yeah, probably should at that, though somewhere is going to get left off. If they end up doing Mexico I could see them not wanting to play in the swamp that is WPB. Just hit up GA? I don't know, but I think it's going to be scared back a bit and someone somewhere will be disappointed
    Old 06-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #57
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, probably should at that, though somewhere is going to get left off. If they end up doing Mexico I could see them not wanting to play in the swamp that is WPB. Just hit up GA? I don't know, but I think it's going to be scared back a bit and someone somewhere will be disappointed
    Those places will be Nevada, Utah, and Red Rocks from your list. Razor thin odds that any of those places get shows.
    Old 06-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #58
    Melted

My Tour Central Stats

Let's see...venues continue getting smaller and not selling out. New albums almost always blow and are not anywhere on the radar. And most adult fans are embarrassed to admit they are fans for reasons that are not legitimate.

I blame the space between.
    Melted is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #59
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    First off, I like the song. Anything DMB plays is awesome to me. There sound is unmatched in my eyes and their lyrics are always genuine and sincere (including spoon)

Some songs I just like much better than others. This song I find to be very slow. I am not at all a fan of the girl who sings it with Dave also. I dont like the lovely ladies either. i like dave on vocals alone...carter and rashawn provide enough backup...no need for some random duet....

Having said that, some of DMBs slowest songs are some of my favorites. I love pay for what u get, stolen away, loving wings, etc...spoon is just not up there for me.
    To each their own, I suppose. Everyone's tastes are different
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #60
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Those places will be Nevada, Utah, and Red Rocks from your list. Razor thin odds that any of those places get shows.
    Oh definitely. They're not going to play Red Rocks, probably ever again to be honest.

Was just mixing some previous tours with some stops that would stop people from complaining. Biggest complaints are usually lack of west coast stops and no Canada, and the non-stop clamour for RR