Official Fuck the Police thread - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #61
Noles20
Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Fuck the Police thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
I have mostly had good interactions with law enforcement, personally.
same. I had one bad experience when I was given 2 tickets that I thought were ridiculous. I fought them in court and won. Justice was served.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #62
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Most cops aren't assholes, people just view them as that because their job inherently involves getting you in trouble (legally and justifiably).

I recently got a DUI (biggest mistake of my life), but I was polite and cooperative with the police officer I was with for the next 5 hours. I'm a CJ major, so I also asked him millions of questions and eventually we talked about music and other stuff (he had Radiohead's OK Computer-big plus ). He even dropped me off at my house at the end of the night. I got a lawyer, and am also appealing the DOL license suspension. Just learned that the officer didn't even send in his police report to the DOL (very odd) and he used a template to write up the charges that is outdated by more than a decade. I have no doubt in my mind that the officer, in his own way, helped me out by doing that, while not risking his own job status in the slightest.

Moral of the story: it helps to be cooperative and not be a drunken asshole.
    Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #63
    uro55

Location: Minneapolis is my home, But Toronto will always be where I'm from:)

Shows Seen: 165

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jordanbball17 View Post
    Moral of the story: it helps to be cooperative and not be a drunken asshole.
    Exactly, if you're nice and polite, more often than not they will be too. If you give off an attitude of "fuck the police" of course they'll react differently. It goes that was with any walk of life.
    Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #64
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uro55 View Post
    Exactly, if you're nice and polite, more often than not they will be too. If you give off an attitude of "fuck the police" of course they'll react differently. It goes that was with any walk of life.
    Yep. If you're being a jackass, how else do you expect them to react? There's this impression that all cops have this vendetta against citizens and want to find a way to get them in trouble when that's just simply not true.
    Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #65
    SqueeBaBooSquee
    Cham Peens

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.lolbrary.com/lolpics/219/...olice-1219.jpg
    http://uberhumor.com/wp-content/uplo...1/03/krDSy.png
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh...xzgso1_400.jpg
    http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/0...the_police.jpg
    http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/0...inal/funny.jpg
    http://www.rotfllol.com/pdata/min/1286.jpg
    Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #66
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

just found out my fine is gonna be anywhere from 250-500....

thats a bit too much...
    Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #67
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post

thats a bit too much...
    Found out from whom? Was it in NY? Ive always been told its 25 bucks.

You were issued a summons for a violation of the New York City Administrative Code, section 10-125, consumption of alcohol in public: § 10-125 Consumption of alcohol on streets prohibited. a. Definitions. Whenever used in this section, the following terms are defined as follows: 1. Alcoholic beverage. Any liquid intended for human consumption containing more than one-half of one percent (.005) of alcohol by volume. 2. Public place. A place to which the public or a substantial group of persons has access including, but not limited to, any highway, street, road, sidewalk, parking area, shopping area, place of amusement, playground, park or beach located within the city except that the definition of a public place shall not include those premises duly licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises or within their own private property. Such public place shall also include the interior of any stationary motor vehicle which is on any highway, street, road, parking area, shopping area, playground, park or beach located within the city. b. No person shall drink or consume an alcoholic beverage, or possess, with intent to drink or consume, an open container containing an alcoholic beverage in any public place except at a block party, feast or similar function for which a permit has been obtained. c. Possession of an open container containing an alcoholic beverage by any person shall create a rebuttable presumption that such person did intend to consume the contents thereof in violation of this section. d. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prohibit the consumption of an alcoholic beverage in any duly licensed establishment whose certificate of occupancy extends upon a street. e. Any person who shall be found to have violated any of the provisions of this section shall be liable for a civil penalty of not more than one hundred ($100) dollars for each violation, which may be recovered in a proceeding before the environmental control board. Such proceeding shall be commenced by the service of a notice of violation returnable before such board.

Last edited by dre2142; 10-10-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #68
    wnderwoman

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    Found out from whom? Was it in NY? Ive always been told its 25 bucks.

You were issued a summons for a violation of the New York City Administrative Code, section 10-125, consumption of alcohol in public: § 10-125 Consumption of alcohol on streets prohibited. a. Definitions. Whenever used in this section, the following terms are defined as follows: 1. Alcoholic beverage. Any liquid intended for human consumption containing more than one-half of one percent (.005) of alcohol by volume. 2. Public place. A place to which the public or a substantial group of persons has access including, but not limited to, any highway, street, road, sidewalk, parking area, shopping area, place of amusement, playground, park or beach located within the city except that the definition of a public place shall not include those premises duly licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises or within their own private property. Such public place shall also include the interior of any stationary motor vehicle which is on any highway, street, road, parking area, shopping area, playground, park or beach located within the city. b. No person shall drink or consume an alcoholic beverage, or possess, with intent to drink or consume, an open container containing an alcoholic beverage in any public place except at a block party, feast or similar function for which a permit has been obtained. c. Possession of an open container containing an alcoholic beverage by any person shall create a rebuttable presumption that such person did intend to consume the contents thereof in violation of this section. d. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prohibit the consumption of an alcoholic beverage in any duly licensed establishment whose certificate of occupancy extends upon a street. e. Any person who shall be found to have violated any of the provisions of this section shall be liable for a civil penalty of not more than one hundred ($100) dollars for each violation, which may be recovered in a proceeding before the environmental control board. Such proceeding shall be commenced by the service of a notice of violation returnable before such board.
    That may not include various city fees, I know in CA a violation that carries a fine of $ 100, will be more than double sometimes due to whatever other stuff they tack on there.
    Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #69
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

thats a bit too much...
    Is it though? Or is it enough that you won't be walking around with open containers anymore?
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #70
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    Is it though? Or is it enough that you won't be walking around with open containers anymore?
    making laws doesn't prevent people from doing things.

educating them on why they shouldn't is a better solution. i was being safe and i wasn't causing any trouble.

so the answer to your question is, i won't be walking around with an open container anymore, but i still think its a pretty bullshit that the fine should be this much, especially when hundreds of different college students are doing the same thing, most underage... (i'm not underage). The reason the officer gave is that they are trying to keep the streets clean from broken bottles. Okay? so take away the beer that i purchased legally and we'll call it a night...that would have worked for me. now i'm down a considerable amount of money and thats going to affect me in many negative ways that go way beyond some stupid little law.

Last edited by Useliteski; 10-10-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #71
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Surely you knew it was against the law yet you did it anyways. Cant really get around that.

Did you call the courts to inquire about the fine?
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #72
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    making laws doesn't prevent people from doing things.

educating them on why they shouldn't is a better solution. i was being safe and i wasn't causing any trouble.

so the answer to your question is, i won't be walking around with an open container anymore, but i still think its a pretty bullshit that the fine should be this much, especially when hundreds of different college students are doing the same thing, most underage... (i'm not underage). The reason the officer gave is that they are trying to keep the streets clean from broken bottles. Okay? so take away the beer that i purchased legally and we'll call it a night...that would have worked for me. now i'm down a considerable amount of money and thats going to affect me in many negative ways that go way beyond some stupid little law.
    If they took a beer away from you, you'd be inclined to do it again. If you get caught, no big deal, you're out a couple bucks.

You pay $250 on top of that, odds are you won't do it again. And if you do, then clearly the fine isn't high enough.
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #73
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    now i'm down a considerable amount of money and thats going to affect me in many negative ways that go way beyond some stupid little law.
    It's supposed to affect you in negative ways. That's why it's called a punishment.
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #74
    uro55

My Tour Central Stats

Simple fact is, like it or not, safe or not, you broke a law, you got caught. Shit happens
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #75
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

i wont do it again, and the only reason i won't is because i don't want to get fined. the law itself makes sense for someone who is acting in a dangerous way, but i wasn't.

Last edited by Useliteski; 10-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #76
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Simple fact is, like it or not, safe or not, you broke a law, you got caught. Shit happens
    yeah man.

i guess you're right. i mean im not saying i should have been doing what i was doing, but to fine a first offender who was being polite and cooperative 250-500 dollars (thats what the court said), is a bit too much...wouldnt you say?

Last edited by Useliteski; 10-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #77
    uro55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah man.

i guess you're right
    I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. But it's true. You can't really bitch about it, cause plain and simple you broke said law
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #78
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

http://tkware.info/wp-content/upload...LawBreaker.jpg
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #79
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. But it's true. You can't really bitch about it, cause plain and simple you broke said law
    i know man haha. i just needed a place to vent. this was good.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #80
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i wont do it again, and the only reason i won't is because i don't want to get fined.

Then it seems like the fine was perfectly appropriate, because clearly the law and the justification of it seems to have no affect on you.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #81
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    Then it seems like the fine was perfectly appropriate, because clearly the law and the justification of it seems to have no affect on you.
    if the law said you had to cover yourself in yogurt and sing a different lady gaga song as you burn down trees every morning before you left for work, would you do it?

also, do you jay walk?

thats a law but it's not enforced as much because it just isn't that severe of a crime. i'm not saying i didn't break the law. what im saying is that what i did was NOT that severe and i should not have to pay the court half the money i own because of it.

Last edited by Useliteski; 10-10-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #82
    uro55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    if the law said you had to cover yourself in yogurt and sing a different lady gaga song as you burn down trees every morning before you left for work, would you do it?
    Depends in the fine for not doing it
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #83
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

i need to stop editing my posts after i post them hahaha. there is just so much going through my head right now
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #84
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

also, do you jay walk?

thats a law but it's not enforced as much because it just isn't that severe of a crime. i'm not saying i didn't break the law. what im saying is that what i did was NOT that severe and i should not have to pay the court half the money i own because of it.
    laws are on the books for a reason.....whether you think they are stupid or not. If you know its against the law, why do it?

And if there is a law that you think is not fair, its your right to push for change.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #85
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

Shows Seen: 107

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post

i wonder if there is an iphone app i can download that will ask me, "are you drunk" instead of having me enter my passcode. if i answer "yes" the phone will be locked for a couple of hours

such a great idea
    I fully support breathalyzers on all phones. In order to unlock it, you have to blow the legal limit.
    Calm down, 12.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #86
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

I have probably had more run-ins with the police than most. I was not an upstanding citizen until I was about 18 and even then I still did break laws - mainly by having fake ID or driving home after a few pops. Honestly, some of the shit I pulled 15+ years ago woudl probably land me on a terrorist watch list today. I have been thrown to the ground, cuffed, hauled in, stopped for DUI (no arrest) and questioned god knows how many times. Want to know the truth; every single time one of those things happened it was my own fault. The only time I was snagged for being literally in the 'wrong place at the wrong time' I could see where the officer was coming from - considering I may not have been breaking the specific law he thought (my friends were) I was I was still breaking at least 4 laws that I knew of.

Point being, I have no arrest record and I never felt a police officer targeted me unfairly for any reason. Every single time I had a run in with the police it was because of something I did that violated the law. 99% of police officers are just normal people, like all of us, doing a job most of us can never really understand nor sympathize with. I would also predict that the vast majority of people on this board will never have police target them for anything other than a genuine crime.

Lastly, in the case of open container and other minor crimes, when you are bitching about the police you are barking up the wrong tree. Some bureaucrats and politicians wrote the laws, not the police. They are just enforcing the laws as part of their duty.

I do understand the mindset though, when I was younger I DID see the police as 'the enemy' so to speak, people to avoid and hide from because I knew I was breaking laws - though at the time I thought the laws were pointless. I know full well the feeling of being 'harassed' by police but guess what - I brought it on myself and I am guessing so do most of the people who incessantly gripe about officers. The one exception is the CT DEP - they were just pains in the asses with nothing better to do than hassle young kids on the lakes.

The ironic part is once I was done with college I realized something when interacting with the very police officers, they are just like me for the most part. I have more in common with them than not. They do not enjoy every aspect of their job - they see some laws as pointless too but for the most part they suck that up and do a relatively thankless job every day in a very professional manner. Now I on occasion hang out with some of these officers; we drink together, watch sports, play softball, go shooting, go to Yankee games, etc, etc, etc and they are every bit as much fun as the people I hung out with when we were trying to avoid the police.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #87
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    laws are on the books for a reason.....whether you think they are stupid or not. If you know its against the law, why do it?

And if there is a law that you think is not fair, its your right to push for change.
    i just dont wanna be fined this much. thats my only complaint here. i wasn't bothering anybody and i didn't pose any large threat to the community, so a confiscation of my beer and a warning would have steered me in the right direction for sure. i forgot i was even holding the beer when i was walking with my friends. it had like 2-3 small sips left in it at least.

i'm a broke college student, and all my income is going towards paying for school. this fine is a big deal to me. this police offer did more to fuck me over than he did to help me. i know he's doing is job, but i would have liked to explain my situation a bit more before being handed a fine. Maybe i'll have a chance to do that in court? who knows

Last edited by Useliteski; 10-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #88
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The difference would be that it would be an acceptable thing to do, and there would likely be a much more common acceptance for doing so. That'd be an obscure thing to do anyways, but you get the point.

If it makes it any better (probably not) I got pulled over once for DUI when I wasn't even drinking.

I went to an evening church service and then Steak and Shake with a few friends afterwards. I was up at 5 to go to the gym that morning, and by 11PM I was exhausted.

So I got on the on ramp and saw a couple cop cars on the other side of the rail. I figure they pulled over someone and proceeded to put the hammer down to merge with traffic. Right before the lane stopped curving there were some yellow cones in the road. Since I had been flooring it to get onto the interstate I stopped abruptly and the cop stopped me.

As I was putting down the window I heard someone say "black car with the NC tags" so I knew they were talking about me. Did the whole drinking speech and put a piece of paper on my windshield. So he walks away and tells a second cop "he's all yours". At this point I'm thinking shit is getting real, so I'm getting kinda nervous.

Second cop asks the same questions in a different order (trying to catch me in a lie I guess) but I tell him the same. He says he needs to test me for DUI, even though I'm speaking coherently and all that good stuff. Makes me get out and hold my arms out and follow the light, etc. The whole 9 yards.

He told me it was a routine traffic stop and let me go and told me to slow down when I see cones.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #89
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

Shows Seen: 107

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Giving an XL Dunkin' Donuts Iced tea to the police officer directing traffic in the 130 degree heat by my apartment complex got me an immediate response for NARCing out some loud-ass people in the apartment above me. Win.

On a related note, sorry this is making you mega-broke, though, Bryan. Totally lame.
    Calm down, 12.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #90
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Why assume that you are going to have to pay? I still find it hard to believe that it is a 250-500 dollar fine.
    Do some research regarding that offense in your city- you may have other options to pursue. Like pleading guilty and hoping for probation of some sort and a lowered fine (or just court fees assessed). Maybe you can do community service in lieu of a monetary fine.
    You could always reach out to the officer as well.
    Closed Thread