Little Red Bird - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
cpolly07

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Little Red Bird

what's your take on the meaning behind this beautiful song?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
    mattyszow
    MattsMarching #43

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Little Red Bird

i duno, but its simple & beautiful and def one of my favorites. i listen to it alot.
    Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
    comerelaxnow

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

i think its just a simple song about the joys and evil in the world and how weird it is that above all the evil are beautiful things, like little red birds
    Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
    Flip36
    FIGHT OWEN FIGHT!

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

'tis a nice little ditty.
    Stop comparing albums. Every album is different. Thats the point of making a new album, to create something new and different. To evolve. just sit back relax and go with the flow.
    [{46}] show's since [{'99}]!
    Old 07-15-2009, 04:50 AM   #5
    JimiThng80

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

"but, Daddy don't you see how good i am at catching crumbs?" great tune. i too would like to know the meaning behind this little 'ditty.'

Too Much (Fake)>ASTB>Too Much (Fake)> Ants Marching
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
    davephan21

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I think red birds symbolize hope. I think it's just about having hope that things will get better.
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
    BDJCL3
    Piss on you Wyatt

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I really like this song. I like the lyrics a lot too

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DontStonethePig View Post
    Tapers are Gods among drunks... thank you tapers for letting us re-live our shows
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
    capedbadger

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

"Guns and Gods, and Little Red Birds"

The 3 themes that Dave writes about the most. I love this song, and would love to hear it in E1 slots on the second leg.
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
    flibish

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I'm sorry but I think the song is terrible. It's my least favorite of them all.
    Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
    creplogle
    Shake your tambourine

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I love it but i don't listen to it much...
    Roi.
    Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
    rantingthespian

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flibish View Post
    I'm sorry but I think the song is terrible. It's my least favorite of them all.
    It is my least favorite of the 4, but I still really like it.

It's just a nice little sweet song.
    Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rantingthespian View Post
    It is my least favorite of the 4, but I still really like it.

It's just a nice little sweet song.
    Even if I liked #27, the fact that the beginning guitar notes are fucked up and out of rhythm make me cringe.
    Old 07-16-2009, 02:36 AM   #13
    Stabn
    Kölle Alaaf

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I love the weird metronome/click track sound in the background. The "1" is displaced to the actual "2" of each bar. Grab your guitar and you metronome and try playing this song that way, it's ridiculously fun.
    Old 07-16-2009, 03:39 AM   #14
    Branty

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

The clicking reminds me of 'Blackbird' by the Beatles
    Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 AM   #15
    rantingthespian

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Branty View Post
    The clicking reminds me of 'Blackbird' by the Beatles
    Take these broken wings and learn to fly . . .
    Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #16
    ibeheath

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

My fav. of the bonus songs.

Dont drink the water, there seems to have been some blood in the water, and so you shouldn't drink it. - DM
    Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
    number59
    LeRoi with an "I".

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeheath View Post
    My fav. of the bonus songs.
    Is there any place that one can purchase the bonus cd/songs? I got BW for a gift and didn't have the heart to say that there's more to it...
    Old 08-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
    aoeiifreak

My Tour Central Stats

I never got into LRB. I'm not a fan (generally) of super-falsetto Dave, so maybe I'm biased.
    Old 08-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #19
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

i like it but i dont get the love affair with it..its an alright song, kinda boring
    Old 08-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #20
    always-40

My Tour Central Stats

I really enjoy this song. It's more of a dave solo song though, imo.

I've always thought there was a pretty obvious political message there. (no political bent on my part here, just interpreting what I hear) Seems like he was just chastising the war. "A comfort to count the battles won after the war is lost." The general custer reference seemed to be comparing him to gw bush and his stubborness regarding the war. red=republicans, so I think he's somehow belittling the republican party. Heck, you can even interpret it such that he was saying that gw has a little pp!
    Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #21
    always-40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by always-40 View Post
    I really enjoy this song. It's more of a dave solo song though, imo.

I've always thought there was a pretty obvious political message there. (no political bent on my part here, just interpreting what I hear) Seems like he was just chastising the war. "A comfort to count the battles won after the war is lost." The general custer reference seemed to be comparing him to gw bush and his stubborness regarding the war. red=republicans, so I think he's somehow belittling the republican party. Heck, you can even interpret it such that he was saying that gw has a little pp!
    The republican party reference just stood out to me when he lumped little red birds with guns and gods. btw, i'm not trying to stir anything up with this. I lean conservative and am not offended by the song. It's just a song, and my interpretation is probably off anyhow...
    Old 08-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
    da309392

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

The song is about looking at the good parts of disappointment. Guns, Gods, Little Red Birds is Dave relating the whole world together in that it happens to all of us. The little guy, the guy with power, and gods.
    Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #23
    daveMfan

My Tour Central Stats

hmm. i didn't think about the possible political implications before, but that makes a lot of sense to me.

looking at the good parts of dissapointment doesn't work for me as much. of course this is just my interpretation, but it seems to me like he's talking about how desperately defensive people can be when they are lazy or have made a mistake. the little bird defends his laziness of not getting a job by saying he is good at catching crumbs. the failed general defends his mistakes by gathering the little, worthless victories of battles around him. god would have a troubled expression at people not owning up to their responsibilities.

sorry to be such a downer, but with an ending like "if god had an honest face, a troubled expression would be watching the human race," i don't see how he can be saying anything about the good parts of dissapointment. it seems more like he's commenting on false hope. and i don't think "guns" is referencing "the guy with power"...more like guys who think they have power. general custer did lose to sitting bull, after all.
    Old 08-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #24
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I think this tune is definitely an homage to the Beatles/Paul McCartney. Beyond the Blackbird-esque click track, everything about this song just screams McCartney. The melody, the guitar lines, even the lyrics.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #25
    vklugf

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

It's Machead!
    Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #26
    TheGorge

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Here's my take--Like McCartney's "Blackbird," a very meaningful song about the struggles of an African-American woman in the Deep South before and during the Civil Rights movement disguised as a simple, beautiful ditty, Dave's "Little Red Bird," although slightly more straightforward than "Blackbird," is also a very meaningful song within a simple, beautiful ditty.

The entire song, from beginning to end, is a look at the plight of the Native Americans during the expansion and rise of the United States and was purposely written to parallel McCartney's "Blackbird." The similarities between the songs are too numerous to be accidental, from the use of an acoustic guitar and click track to the use of "bird" in the title and an instrumental bridge. The subject in the "Little Red Bird" and “Blackbird” are different (Native Americans and not an African-American women), but the topics are the same (the struggles of a minority population in the United States). Creating an homage to "Blackbird" is no easy task, but Dave pulled it off masterfully. In my opinion, "Little Red Bird" is one of Dave's best efforts as a songwriter in recent years.

"Little Red Bird" opens with the lines, "Little Red Bird, under a chair, waiting for the crumbs to fall, Daddy said get a job, but don't you see Daddy how good I am at catching crumbs." Throughout the song, when Dave uses the phrase, “Little Red Bird,” he’s referring specifically to Native Americans. Beginning in the 1800s, Native Americans were forced to "wait for crumbs to fall" because their way of life, for the most part, was systematically being destroyed by an expanding United States. "Daddy said get a job" is likely a reference to the US government, in that Americans expected Native Americans to give up the way of life they had know for thousands of years for the way of life Americans were creating. “Little Red Bird’s” response to this request—“but don’t you see Daddy how good I am at catching crumbs”—is the Native American’s refusal to take up the new way of life. Rightly so, the Native American would rather stay out of American society and just catch the “crumbs” that come his or her way.

The second verse, “General Custer it’s said, overestimated his abilities to win, Sitting Bull turned the table on him, a comfort to count the battles won after the war is lost,” is a self-explanatory and it enables the listener to understand what Dave was singing about in the first verse and the refrain. The second verse tells us how “Little Red Bird” found himself “under a chair, waiting for the crumbs to fall” because we learn that “Little Red Bird” lost the war. The United States was successful in its efforts to displace and move Native Americans to reservations. Sitting Bull’s victory against General Custer was a lone triumph in an otherwise unwinnable war for the Native Americans.

The third verse, “If there was a place, hidden in the stars, reflected on heaven's graces, if God had an honest face, a troubled expression would be watching the human race,” is a reference to Dave’s belief that what happened to the Native Americans in the United States is an atrocity. If God was watching, he would be troubled (rightly) by the actions of the United States.

"Guns and Gods and Little Red Birds” is used throughout the song as a refrain. Dave’s use of the word gun refers to how the United States was able to win the war.

Last edited by TheGorge; 08-27-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: font issues
    Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #27
    Ram

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGorge View Post
    The entire song, from beginning to end, is a look at the plight of the Native Americans during the expansion and rise of the United States and was purposely written to parallel McCartney's "Blackbird."

etc...
    Very interesting interpretation. I like it!
    7/12/00 - 6/12/01 - 12/21/02 - 9/5/03 - 9/6/03 - 6/11/04 - 12/10/05 - 6/23/06 - 11/15/07 - 4/14/10 - 9/3/10 - 9/4/10 - 9/5/10 - 11/13/10 - 11/30/12 - 12/1/12 - 6/29/13 - 6/27/15 - 6/7/16 - 6/16/18 - 6/15/19
    Old 09-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #28
    Norman Smiley
    Fucking Douche

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here's my take--Like McCartney's "Blackbird," a very meaningful song about the struggles of an African-American woman in the Deep South before and during the Civil Rights movement disguised as a simple, beautiful ditty, Dave's "Little Red Bird," although slightly more straightforward than "Blackbird," is also a very meaningful song within a simple, beautiful ditty.

The entire song, from beginning to end, is a look at the plight of the Native Americans during the expansion and rise of the United States and was purposely written to parallel McCartney's "Blackbird." The similarities between the songs are too numerous to be accidental, from the use of an acoustic guitar and click track to the use of "bird" in the title and an instrumental bridge. The subject in the "Little Red Bird" and “Blackbird” are different (Native Americans and not an African-American women), but the topics are the same (the struggles of a minority population in the United States). Creating an homage to "Blackbird" is no easy task, but Dave pulled it off masterfully. In my opinion, "Little Red Bird" is one of Dave's best efforts as a songwriter in recent years.

"Little Red Bird" opens with the lines, "Little Red Bird, under a chair, waiting for the crumbs to fall, Daddy said get a job, but don't you see Daddy how good I am at catching crumbs." Throughout the song, when Dave uses the phrase, “Little Red Bird,” he’s referring specifically to Native Americans. Beginning in the 1800s, Native Americans were forced to "wait for crumbs to fall" because their way of life, for the most part, was systematically being destroyed by an expanding United States. "Daddy said get a job" is likely a reference to the US government, in that Americans expected Native Americans to give up the way of life they had know for thousands of years for the way of life Americans were creating. “Little Red Bird’s” response to this request—“but don’t you see Daddy how good I am at catching crumbs”—is the Native American’s refusal to take up the new way of life. Rightly so, the Native American would rather stay out of American society and just catch the “crumbs” that come his or her way.

The second verse, “General Custer it’s said, overestimated his abilities to win, Sitting Bull turned the table on him, a comfort to count the battles won after the war is lost,” is a self-explanatory and it enables the listener to understand what Dave was singing about in the first verse and the refrain. The second verse tells us how “Little Red Bird” found himself “under a chair, waiting for the crumbs to fall” because we learn that “Little Red Bird” lost the war. The United States was successful in its efforts to displace and move Native Americans to reservations. Sitting Bull’s victory against General Custer was a lone triumph in an otherwise unwinnable war for the Native Americans.

The third verse, “If there was a place, hidden in the stars, reflected on heaven's graces, if God had an honest face, a troubled expression would be watching the human race,” is a reference to Dave’s belief that what happened to the Native Americans in the United States is an atrocity. If God was watching, he would be troubled (rightly) by the actions of the United States.

"Guns and Gods and Little Red Birds” is used throughout the song as a refrain. Dave’s use of the word gun refers to how the United States was able to win the war.

You get an A -. I had to take off for some punctuation.

"I do not read the reviews. No, I am not singing for you."
    Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #29
    TheGorge

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Norman Smiley View Post
    You get an A -. I had to take off for some punctuation.
    Thanks--I think that's fair. I imagine there were a lot of typos.
    Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #30
    DMBswing

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Wow, nice job...makes a lot of sense. If this is the case, impressive work by Dave.