No 2017 Tour - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #91
DMBzilla
tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Re: No 2017 Tour

The 2011 break announcement:

As we feel the excitement building for this summer, we wanted to let everyone know that after twenty years of consecutive touring, Dave Matthews Band will be taking 2011 off. We feel lucky that our tours are a part of so many people's lives, and wanted to give everyone as much notice as possible. We're excited to make this summer one of our best tours yet, and look forward to returning to the road in 2012.

Nothing like the bold this time around makes the announcement pretty interesting.
DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-26-2016, 05:42 AM   #92
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post

As we feel the excitement building for this summer, we wanted to let everyone know that after twenty years of consecutive touring, Dave Matthews Band will be taking 2011 off. We feel lucky that our tours are a part of so many people's lives, and wanted to give everyone as much notice as possible. We're excited to make this summer one of our best tours yet, and look forward to returning to the road in 2012.

Nothing like the bold this time around makes the announcement pretty interesting.

Yeah, all we got this year was a "BTW, no shows in 17. See ya!"
    Old 01-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #93
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with Nick that something doesn't feel right. IMO it hasn't felt right for a while.
    Old 01-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #94
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

What about that apparent new album they were working on?
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #95
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I think people are seeing what they want to see. Could they be done after a year off in 2017? Sure. Could they be back? Sure. But I'm not gonna make a judgement off a press release. I mean just look at all the differing opinions in here. Something doesn't feel right? I seriously remember people in here saying that multiple times over the years. 2008 people said it. 2009 so many people were sure they were just going to release the album, tour to support it and that would be it. Then people said something didn't feel right when they announced the 2011 break and didn't think they were coming back even though they said they were looking forward to touring in 2012. I'm gonna be going to two shows and enjoying both of them like it could be the last. I've been doing that the last few years because the band is getting older, not because of any feeling I have.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #96
    ants_marching55

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    25 straight years has to take its toll.

For as much flack as I give the band, they need and deserve a whole year off. You should expect just that.

This is an accurate post. They need a full year just not playing. Then in 2018 do like 15-20 shows or just caravans.

They need a break.
    ants_marching55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #97
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ants_marching55 View Post
    This is an accurate post. They need a full year just not playing. Then in 2018 do like 15-20 shows or just caravans.

They need a break.
    A year off will be good for the band, as much as it may bum us out.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #98
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post

The announcement in 2010 was pretty interesting too, and turned out to not be entirely true. I don't think they mentioned 2018 because nobody knows how they are going to feel a year from now, so why address it. I think they learned that from the previous break announcement.

This is not the last tour though, that would just be dumb. They may take a 5 year break, but they'll be back eventually to collect that "Last Tour" money.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #99
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I can only speak for myself but I think the year off will be good for us too. I've found myself the last few years not being overly blown away or even entertained at the shows.

I think we need a break from the band too.

Btw, I didn't back read in the tour thread, were there any good melts from the Fam regarding the '17 break?
    Old 01-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #100
    cmyers2

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

If in fact the new album is scrapped, I'm hoping for one of either two things for 2017:

- Dave solo album with Dave and Friends tour
    - release a box set/double album similar to Pearl Jam's Lost Dogs....all of the unreleased material and B-sides from the past 10-12 years, just give it to the fans as a gift (and keep the money rolling in for them as well), wouldn't need a tour to support it as we've heard a bunch of that material anyways

I'd say a Dave solo album is more likely, and the box set is a pipe dream since DMB seems so out of touch with their fan base now and don't seem to care, but it would keep the fans happy and engaged with the band during their year or more off from touring
    cmyers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #101
    chiprip
    #41 Rocks

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

The band has definitely reached the point after 25 years to deserve a year off touring. Should we look at it as more than just a break? I'm not sure. Maybe...

My concern being what happens with the new album that is supposedly close to done. They aren't going to release that later this year and then not tour the next year. Wouldn't make sense. They made no mention of it with the tour dates announcement. If they did decide to shelve it, a la Lillywhite Sessions, then yes, I think there is more to discuss around the year off. This feels a bit different than 2011, IMO.
    Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #102
    jlar

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

It does feel different this time. I believe that the delay in getting the dates last week is maybe more than they thought. Could it be they wanted to call this the last tour but there was not a consensus? Could it be health reasons? Interesting that the tour ends at The Gorge. I know that has happened before, but it still concerns me that DMB the band might be spinning towards the end here.
    jlar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #103
    Gorge Phanatic

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

To the people saying they deserve time off... Not to sound snobbish or diminish what they do every year but most of the time (other than every couple of winters) these guys tour three months out of the year. They litterally get most of the year off to do whatever they want... Think teachers get a nice break? I'm just saying.

Plus, too many peoples lives (their crew) depend on them touring. I think we will see some shows but who knows. The crew is the only reason we saw Caravan shows in 2011.
    Gorge Phanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #104
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Little interview with Timmy mentions some recent time in the studio: http://www.jambase.com/article/tim-r...k-dmb-tr3-more
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #105
    Chriscolebu19

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gorge Phanatic View Post
    To the people saying they deserve time off... Not to sound snobbish or diminish what they do every year but most of the time (other than every couple of winters) these guys tour three months out of the year. They litterally get most of the year off to do whatever they want... Think teachers get a nice break? I'm just saying.

Plus, too many peoples lives (their crew) depend on them touring. I think we will see some shows but who knows. The crew is the only reason we saw Caravan shows in 2011.
    Yeah i can agree with the whole "the road is a beatdown" argument. Look, these guys are traveling 3 months out of the year and they are flying around in private jets and luxury busses and are staying at the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. Not to say that traveling doesn't take it's toll; i'm in software sales and I have averaged 100K airlines miles a year over the last fews years and at times, it sucks. But it's hard for me to have sympathy for these guys based on their road life compared to mine.

There are a couple of things that concern me regarding this announcement: 1. there is no mention of an upcoming album. I would have expected they would have released the album already and supported with a 2016 tour.
    2. they left it pretty wide open with "we'll be taking a break in 2017" to imply the group may or may not return in future years. The group could get together after the break and say "you know what we're not particularly dying to get back on the road, let's keep this going" and that's it.

Having said that: I want what's best for the band. They have given us incredible memories for 25 years EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. I know Boyd just has been out of it, really since 2012. Carter has said the touring has taken a toll on his body, etc.

I also think we'll get to see Dave, and possibly the band in some capacity in 2017. I would personally love some D&T shows. Please God, no caravans. I have no desire to stand around in a field for 9 hours. Sorry guys I'm old and love the idea of reserved, covered seating. haha
    Chriscolebu19 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #106
    sjsharkteeth
    Daddy's Home

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Agreed. These guy work for 2.5 months a year. How exhausting.

2023: Queens, Camden x2
    sjsharkteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #107
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

The 2010 break announcement came when in relation to the tour? To me, the 2016 break announcement seems like a way to boost sales. It was so conveniently and nonchalantly at the end of the tour announcement. It just seems like a sales ploy.

2010:

2016:

We will take a break from touring in 2017. We are so appreciative of our amazing fans and want to thank you all for your continued support. See you this summer!

2010 said 2011 would be a year off, implying, at the time, they weren't planning on playing at all in 2011.

2016 said 2017 will be a break from touring, not a year off. This leaves the door wide open for special shows, festivals, caravans etc.

I think the wording is key, "year off" doesn't equal "break from touring"

I do believe this 2016 summer tour is the last traditional dmb tour, but I think it is likely they play "several" shows a year for the foreseeable future.
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #108
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Why is there no middle ground? It can be true, but also a way to boost sales this year. Personally im thinking we dont see anything other than some D&T shows in 2017 then back to caravan or mini tour type thing in 2018.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #109
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    People who are bummed out need to discover other music. badly.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #110
    Boyd69

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I think touring is hard on everyone regardless of the level of comfort you tour in. Ask any artist who has toured regularly (ie they're not on their first tour with a bus and shit) and they all say the same thing - they love performing but the rest of it -- being away from home and family, spending a day at a time on a bus, the hours of downtime before and after each show - sucks. At a certain point you reach the top of the heap in terms of comfort, as DMB has, and all that becomes normal; the intangibles are never gonna be there.
    Boyd69 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #111
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Why is there no middle ground? It can be true, but also a way to boost sales this year. Personally im thinking we dont see anything other than some D&T shows in 2017 then back to caravan or mini tour type thing in 2018.
    Mine is a middle ground. If the band play around a dozen shows spread throughout the year, that's not touring, but it's not a year off either.
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #112
    TimHonks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is such a stupid comment.

I go to multiple concerts a month but always look forward to the DMB weekend each summer. Sure, some people on here only listen to DMB which is sad, but someone can be bummed that they are missing one (or multiple) of their favorite weekends next summer.

I certainly think they have earned a break and I'm not mad about it, but summer 2017 will be missing a great weekend.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #113
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think a lot of people here have many other artists they enjoy. Why wouldn't news that a persons favorite band, that tours every year, isn't touring, and might not be playing at all bum people out?

Most here go to 3 shows or less per year, many just one show or one weekend. They also see many other major and not major acts throughout the year. Being bummed about no DMB in 2017 doesn't mean they don't have a well rounded taste in music.
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #114
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post

I go to multiple concerts a month but always look forward to the DMB weekend each summer. Sure, some people on here only listen to DMB which is sad, but someone can be bummed that they are missing one (or multiple) of their favorite weekends next summer.

I certainly think they have earned a break and I'm not mad about it, but summer 2017 will be missing a great weekend.
    Being totally bummed out seems odd when there's so much music out there to discover.

It's not the end of the world
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #115
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post

Old 01-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #116
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Being totally bummed out seems odd when there's so much music out there to discover.

no one said it was the end of the world.
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #117
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Meh, they can use the time off and maybe come back with magic.

There are very few great weekends anymore with this band. The last 2 tours weren't good at all.

Barring deeper issues not mentioned to the public yet, we should be thrilled they're taking time off. We all need a break.
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #118
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

some people really look forward to seeing DMB every year

that doesn't mean they don't listen to other music

get a grip dude
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #119
    Boyd69

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

are you really surprised that people on a DMB fan message board are disappointed that DMB won't be touring next summer?

like, really?
    Old 01-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #120
    Boyd69

My Tour Central Stats

why are you guys excited that DMB is touring again this summer when there's so much music to discover?