BWGK on Vinyl - Page 14 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #391
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: BWGK on Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherChaos420 View Post
i just unearthed my pioneer pl-560 from 1979 and went to play big whiskey today and my stylus (circa 1980-81) just pretty much disentigrated.

its an empire 2000z cartridge..no one around where i live carrys one..where can i get it?
Is that the original cartridge? I thought that turntable came with a Shure N95ed cartridge?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #392
    maqic

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

This is how mine is too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldLikeJoel View Post
    Mine is too! I doubt it is widespread though otherwise more people would be mentioning it.

Mine is actually labeled in the right order disc wise, A, B, C, D, but the songs listed for side B should be on side C and vice versa, and the right songs are in the right order.

That what you have?

I guess we have collector's items now.
    Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #393
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i just unearthed my pioneer pl-560 from 1979 and went to play big whiskey today and my stylus (circa 1980-81) just pretty much disentigrated.

its an empire 2000z cartridge..no one around where i live carrys one..where can i get it?
    It appears that remaining stock would cost more than it's worth as this cartridge has been out for a while. From some research it seems the Shure M97xE would be a suitable replacement. LP Gear have it for $80 here - http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...egory_Code=S15

Of course if you're replacing the whole cartridge...maybe you might want to consider a new table?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #394
    mtbhk44

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Have you looked on ebay? I have an Empire 7000/III cartridge and I found a needle for it there. The stock itself was 30 years old, but I guess that's to be expected with a player/cartridge that's almost older than me
    Old 06-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #395
    DustyKeys70
    100% Chance of Recently

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Just got a turntable yesterday and had a nice afternoon with some drinks listening to the vinyl. So cool to here it another way, just love hearing that slight crackle of the record spinning against the needle between songs, so unique!
    Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #396
    Stouggies

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I have been thinking about maybe getting back into vinyl again, got a few hundred of records from the 70'& 80's I have a question to some of you vinyl guru's. If you have the promo funny/#27 vinyl, can you tell a big difference from the bonus CD of #27 verses the vinyl?
    Old 06-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #397
    Stouggies

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DustyKeys70 View Post
    Just got a turntable yesterday and had a nice afternoon with some drinks listening to the vinyl. So cool to here it another way, just love hearing that slight crackle of the record spinning against the needle between songs, so unique!
    I don't think a crackle is a good thing, you might want to clean the lp or make sure your stylis is adjusted correctly.
    Old 06-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #398
    Millstone

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stouggies View Post
    I don't think a crackle is a good thing, you might want to clean the lp or make sure your stylis is adjusted correctly.
    Slight crackle is sometimes unavoidable. Spinning vinyl is a static dust magnet. I do have a Crime of the Century pressing that's completely silent for about 3 tracks on side 2 though. You can go over it with a brush or look into wet cleaning.
    Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #399
    Stouggies

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
    Slight crackle is sometimes unavoidable. Spinning vinyl is a static dust magnet. I do have a Crime of the Century pressing that's completely silent for about 3 tracks on side 2 though. You can go over it with a brush or look into wet cleaning.
    have you listened to #27 both viynl & CD and noticed any high anolog crisper clear sounds?
    Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #400
    Millstone

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stouggies View Post
    have you listened to #27 both viynl & CD and noticed any high anolog crisper clear sounds?
    #27 the DMB song? I own no DMB vinyl besides a BTCS which is getting flipped. So, no. : )
    Old 06-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #401
    Stouggies

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    #27 the DMB song? I own no DMB vinyl besides a BTCS which is getting flipped. So, no. : )
    if you still have a nice turn table system, I have an extra promo 7", from the few pages I have read you have offered a tremendous amount of knowledge of old technology. If you want to pm me your address I will send you the extra copy I was thinking about sending our daughter, but I know it would have just ended up under her bed or her dog would have chewed it up.
    Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #402
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

#27 on the 7" is really good. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a decent turntable.

I'm using a Goldring GR-2 made by Rega.
    Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #403
    cs611zz

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I have a picture disc i got from a friend, pretty much brand new. The first track skips a good bit within the first minute but the rest of the record runs smooth. since its a picture disc its hard to see any scratches and i have hardly even had it out of its sleeve. Will just an easy cleaning do the trick?
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #404
    Raidergolf4416

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

just bought my vinyl the other day...not opening it...
    Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #405
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raidergolf4416 View Post
    just bought my vinyl the other day...not opening it...
    Why? What is the deal with people buying these things and keeping them sealed as if they are someday going to be this huge collector's item? This is not the BTCS vinyl that was limited to 1000 copies. This is a mass pressing, this vinyl is readily available and will continue to be readily available. If they run out, they'll do another pressing. You're never going to sell this on Ebay for $500. It's not going to net you anything because its in 'mint condition'.

Sorry, I'm not directing this at you only, I've just read so many posts from people saying "Oh I bought XXX copies of the vinyl and I am never opening this it will be a collector's item!!!" Uh, no, it won't. It's worth $12.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    Old 06-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #406
    Millstone

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cs611zz View Post
    I have a picture disc i got from a friend, pretty much brand new. The first track skips a good bit within the first minute but the rest of the record runs smooth. since its a picture disc its hard to see any scratches and i have hardly even had it out of its sleeve. Will just an easy cleaning do the trick?
    Don't even bother. Picture discs are a novelty item and have severely sub-par audio quality.

I have two copies of Lateralus picture disc, one sealed and one opened, and I hate them both.
    Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #407
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Don't even bother. Picture discs are a novelty item and have severely sub-par audio quality.

Absolutely true.
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #408
    dannything

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

question for the audio-philes: i've seen rips of vinyl records at a pretty high sample rate upped on the net as flacs. what kind of set up is required to get the best possible sound?

another random question: what's the job of a pre-amp?
    Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #409
    Inter

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannything View Post
    question for the audio-philes: i've seen rips of vinyl records at a pretty high sample rate upped on the net as flacs. what kind of set up is required to get the best possible sound?

another random question: what's the job of a pre-amp?
    What do you mean what kind of setup is required to get the best possible sound. What kind of stereo you have? Or are you talking about how to best rip vinyls/cd's?

As for a pre-amp.. think about an amplifier as two components in a box. You have the trafo which amplifies the signal and then you need a way to get the signal from your cd player, vinyl, pc whatever into the amplifier. You also need something to control how much amplification to apply to the signal (otherwise known as volume).

When you have all that in one box, it's called an integrated amplifier (because it integrates both components needed to successfully send a signal to your speakers). Now think about the two components in two separate boxes:

Power amplifier: Trafo, input from pre-amplifier, outputs to speakers.

Pre-amplifier: Volume control, inputs from outside sources (cd players, record players, etc).

The pre-amplifier is doing everything that needs to be done to the signal pre-amplification. ;-)

There are of course alot more to it, but hopefully this was easy to understand. Also, with record players, the signal coming from the record player is much weaker (-60dB) than anything coming from cdplayers and computers for instance. This means you need either a RIAA, which is an amplifier you connect between the record player and the pre-amp, or the pre-amp got it's own Phono Stage, which is basically just a RIAA within the pre-amp box, so you can connect the record player directly to the pre-amp. The RIAA will amplify the signal up to the industry standard (-10dB) so that it matches the input on the pre-amplifier.

The reason a signal needs to be amplified is because to be able to move the membrane of the elements in the speakers, you need powerful sound waves. Also, there is a resistance in the elements and cables. This is measured in ohm. Think about it this way: sound moves in waves. To be able to push the waves further away (from the amplifier to the speakers to your ear), you need to apply more power (more amplification). It's really simple physics when you think about it.

One last thing. The reason most people say vinyl is "warmer" or "more lush" or whatever, is usually because when you deal with analog sound, the signal has never passed into the digital domain. At once sound passes into the digital domain, the sinus curve of the wave will change from a natural smooth wave to a harder rectangular one. 0's and 1's you know. There is nothing in between. What all this means is that the sound of the instruments you hear when the sound is digital will be different than the sound of the instruments you hear when the sound is analog. The digital sound will sound harsher, more unnatural. Again, simple physics.

Phew ok. The last last thing. Suppose you have a vinyl edition of Big Whisky. If they pressed the digital version of the master on the vinyl, the instruments will sound unnatural and harsh (ie, the same as the CD version). If they did it the right way and mastered the mix in analogue, the sound will be much closer to what actually came out of the instruments in the studio and it will sound "warmer".

Sound is so subjective.
    Old 06-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #410
    BrettMatthews

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maqic View Post
    This is how mine is too.
    This version of labeling is listing SEVEN as the 7th song, btw....maybe this is why this misprint has ocurred....?!
    Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #411
    jarguitar86
    Content and Dreaming

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I looked at my records last night and they're mislabeled as well.. kinda funny
    Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #412
    eliottv

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Woot.com : today's item is a pretty cheap turntable, for anyone who doesn't have one.

FYI: It doesn't look very fancy, but could prob get the job done.

"Would you not like to be..."
    Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #413
    BLarson
    Larson41

My Tour Central Stats

I've got an old pioneer PL-L30 Linear Tracking turntable, the arm is mechanical, will this hamper a player or is it still O.K. My local shop recommended a grado black cartridge for my budget. I havn't taken my turntable in to get tuned up but does anyone think this TT is worth upgrading or should I wait till I can afford a new one.

I'm still waiting on my deluxe set and vinyl, can't wait.
    Old 06-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #414
    Millstone

My Tour Central Stats

does anyone out there have a *properly* labelled copy?
    Old 06-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #415
    trautwein.m

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

does anyone know if this was mixed/mastered in analog?

F-U-C-K.
    Old 06-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #416
    TheIdeaofYou41

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I was thinking about getting Big Whiskey just for Nostalgia's sake and then when I get a record player i'll whip out the vinyl and play it. Is it worth it?
    Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #417
    trautwein.m

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Yes, 8,000 times over. I listened to mine for the first time last night and I have a bullshit system and it sounded unbelieveable.

F-U-C-K.
    Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #418
    BLarson
    Larson41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BLarson View Post
    I've got an old pioneer PL-L30 Linear Tracking turntable, the arm is mechanical, will this hamper a player or is it still O.K. My local shop recommended a grado black cartridge for my budget. I havn't taken my turntable in to get tuned up but does anyone think this TT is worth upgrading or should I wait till I can afford a new one.

I'm still waiting on my deluxe set and vinyl, can't wait.
    Edit: It was actually a grado green that they recommended, the guy said the extra $20 would be worth it.
    Old 06-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #419
    Millstone

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trautwein.m View Post
    does anyone know if this was mixed/mastered in analog?
    Well if you're holding a vinyl LP in front of you, then that answers the second question. However there's a 99.9% chance it was recorded and digitally mastered first then analog mastered after that.
    Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #420
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inter View Post
    There are of course alot more to it, but hopefully this was easy to understand. Also, with record players, the signal coming from the record player is much weaker (-60dB) than anything coming from cdplayers and computers for instance. This means you need either a RIAA, which is an amplifier you connect between the record player and the pre-amp, or the pre-amp got it's own Phono Stage, which is basically just a RIAA within the pre-amp box, so you can connect the record player directly to the pre-amp. The RIAA will amplify the signal up to the industry standard (-10dB) so that it matches the input on the pre-amplifier.
    RIAA = Recording Industry Association of America. There is no such thing as an RIAA that improves gain by 10dB. The RIAA curve that's applied to vinyl allows for far more accurate vinyl pressings while still being able to fit within the grooves of an extended play LP. The low frequencies are reduced down to -20dB at 20Hz and increased by 20dB up to 20kHz in a curve. Pre-amps and any phono input need to remove the RIAA curve to get back to the original flat frequency response, which is why pre-amps list how accurately they conform to the RIAA curve.

Here's a better explanation of it - http://www.psaudio.com/ps/wiki/RIAA-Equalization-Curve/

Quote:
    One last thing. The reason most people say vinyl is "warmer" or "more lush" or whatever, is usually because when you deal with analog sound, the signal has never passed into the digital domain. At once sound passes into the digital domain, the sinus curve of the wave will change from a natural smooth wave to a harder rectangular one. 0's and 1's you know. There is nothing in between. What all this means is that the sound of the instruments you hear when the sound is digital will be different than the sound of the instruments you hear when the sound is analog. The digital sound will sound harsher, more unnatural. Again, simple physics.
    DSD allows for a signal that even with an analog pulse still resembles the original analog signal - http://www.merging.com/2002/images/dsdresponseneon.gif

DSD doesn't sound harsh at all, but neither does 24-bit/192kHz even though it doesn't quite as closely resemble the analog pulse...but if you look at the time of that pulse it's well shorter than anything a human could discern.

Quote:
    Phew ok. The last last thing. Suppose you have a vinyl edition of Big Whisky. If they pressed the digital version of the master on the vinyl, the instruments will sound unnatural and harsh (ie, the same as the CD version). If they did it the right way and mastered the mix in analogue, the sound will be much closer to what actually came out of the instruments in the studio and it will sound "warmer".

Sound is so subjective.
    If the digital master was either DXD, DSD or 24-bit/96~192kHz then it will sound far superior to the CD. You seem to be referring to digital all the time as though it's limited to what CD is capable of (16-bit/44.1kHz) but digital is capable of far better response than lowly CD and when you add in multi-channel there is so much more potential. Hopefully we'll see some of this potential come to light with Blu-ray releases, Neil Young is already ahead of the game.