News On Jurassic Park 4! - Page 8 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #211
Tomriddle
Ga Ga Ooh La La

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: News On Jurassic Park 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
The way Spielberg slow-rolled both the T-Rex and the Raptors in the original JP was simply brilliant.
Jurassic Park continues to be unsurpassed in so many ways
Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #212
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
    i'm on the fence as well with this. the plot is rather cheesy. they could have easily made it so that something went wrong with the operational park, which caused dinosaurs to be in each other's habitat, escaped and started attacking, etc. they didn't have to make it a Hybrid Dino. now it feels like the movie went from being about a bunch of dinosaurs to being about a single bad dinosaur. i'm still gonna go see it, but i'm limiting my expectations. i like Chris Pratt a lot too.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Why would scientists do that after everything else that has already happened on this island?
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #213
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

they cant handle a trex for more than a couple weeks, lets make a new dino

why doesnt anyone mix a koala with a puppy? its always a Trex/Raptor/Poisonous snake
    Old 11-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #214
    jrod41
    Rowsdower saves us

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    When it comes to movies like this I'm a little baffled when I see comments about how ridiculous it is to see things like Chris Pratt riding a motorcycle alongside a flock of raptors. Are we forgetting that the entire premise of the movie is about a park featuring DINOSAURS that have been brought to life from 65 million year old blood from a mosquito that was stuck in amber? If you think a scene like that is ridiculous then you may want to think about the movie as a whole HAHA. Not only that, but this is the 4th go at this and seemingly no one has learned their lesson from the past 3 films. I will see this for the heck of it, but I will be going into it knowing it will not come anywhere close to how great the original was. It'll be a fun movie that is completely ridiculous in every way. Just as long as we don't have talking raptors like they did in JP3. That movie was atrocious. I have a bad feeling this movie will be more in line with how bad the 3rd one was. I can suspend belief, but after 3 tragic bouts with dinosaurs they think it's a good idea to splice together the DNA of multiple vicious animals into one super dinosaur??? I mean, come on. They could have done without that. You could have a movie that is based around the idea that the park actually opens without using a fictitious super-dino.
    Even in a movie where dinosaurs have been recreated, I find that more plausible than them training said dinosaurs. Velociraptors are considered one of the most cunning and intelligent species in the JP universe. I'm curious how many damn people they lost trying to train those bastards.
    jrod41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #215
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomriddle View Post
    Hopefully, it's not exactly true of his Star Trek movies...
    it's already been said that he's trying to limit his CGI use and is using a lot of live-action props, characters, and sequences.
    Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #216
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

^ for star wars? yeah, he's trying to make it as much like the originals as he can
    Old 11-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #217
    TablesTurnAgain

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder if Chris Pratts character night be like a nephew or related somehow to Robert Muldoon (the raptor hunter) from the original. He seems like a modern version of that character.

Also, read that there's a statue in Jurassic World of John Hammond, commemorating the man who created the Jurassic Park idea. If that's true, that'd be real nice since Richard Attenborough recently passed.
    TablesTurnAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #218
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

yeah its a statue of Hammond
    Old 11-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #219
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Jesus, why can't they just have 1,000 dinosaurs eat all the tourists, hop on boats to different locations all over the world. Once there, they eat everybody and take back the earth. The end of the human race as we know it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #220
    scoot_14
    half jack

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder if they're going to incorporate the old park in some way. I can't remember the layout of the old park on the island but the maps of the new park seem to show a big wall that isolates the top third of the island.

I actually like the idea of the hybrid Dino as long as it's done right. The spinosaurus or whatever it was in JP3 was just a lame attempt to one up what they thought was the reason people loved the original. First movie: TRex. Second movie: two TRexs. Third movie: bigger Dino that kills a TRex...but in reality the raptors were the coolest part. Relatively unknown Dinos at the time that acted differently than average people imagined dinosaurs. If this hybrid is a smarter, camouflage, creepy version of a TRex it could be scary...especially if they slow play it like Speilberg did in the first movie.
    Old 11-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #221
    scoot_14
    half jack

My Tour Central Stats

The sound the new dinosaur makes in the trailer is awesome by the way.
    Old 11-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #222
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scoot_14 View Post
    I wonder if they're going to incorporate the old park in some way. I can't remember the layout of the old park on the island but the maps of the new park seem to show a big wall that isolates the top third of the island.

I actually like the idea of the hybrid Dino as long as it's done right. The spinosaurus or whatever it was in JP3 was just a lame attempt to one up what they thought was the reason people loved the original. First movie: TRex. Second movie: two TRexs. Third movie: bigger Dino that kills a TRex...but in reality the raptors were the coolest part. Relatively unknown Dinos at the time that acted differently than average people imagined dinosaurs. If this hybrid is a smarter, camouflage, creepy version of a TRex it could be scary...especially if they slow play it like Speilberg did in the first movie.
    what made the raptors scary is that they were real. Creating a new dino seems lazy and played out (deep blue sea)...would much rather them introduce a real dinosaur that isnt popular but scary as fuck
    Old 11-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #223
    uro55

Location: Minneapolis is my home, But Toronto will always be where I'm from:)

Shows Seen: 165

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Looks awesome. So effing excited.
    uro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #224
    uro55

My Tour Central Stats

Also for those who don't like the plot point, making a new dino/hybrid is perfectly in line with the theme of the first movie. Like 100%.
    Old 11-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #225
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

i thought the theme of the first movie was to recreate real dinosaurs.
    Old 11-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #226
    uro55

My Tour Central Stats

Not really. It was the theme of wielding a power they couldn't control and it backfiring.

In the words of Ian Malcolm "Yeah but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
    Old 11-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #227
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

yes i get that...but they still created real dinosaurs. I see what you're saying though, that of course that ability would eventually lead to the creation of a hybrid
    Old 11-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #228
    scoot_14
    half jack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    what made the raptors scary is that they were real. Creating a new dino seems lazy and played out (deep blue sea)...would much rather them introduce a real dinosaur that isnt popular but scary as fuck
    Not to disagree with your point, because I agree with it, but aren't the raptors in JP are like twice as big as they're supposed to be?
    Old 11-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #229
    scoot_14
    half jack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yes i get that...but they still created real dinosaurs. I see what you're saying though, that of course that ability would eventually lead to the creation of a hybrid
    The book gets much more into the genetic tampering they were doing to control their breeding, dietary tolerances, and even behaviors. I think the characters (Malcolm and the scientists) argued that the animals weren't honest representations of dinosaurs that couldn't be studied reliably from a science concept...and Hammonds opinion was that the point was to "entertain."

That whole part where they watch the cartoon that talks about frog dna has always been the one thing I hate about that movie. They don't explain anything correctly, it feels like it's edited wrong, and there's almost no point to having it in the movie (since they don't go into the science much). The other point that drives me nurse is Grant knowing trex can't see you if you don't move (which is caused by the frog dna...not something a paleontologist would know).
    Old 11-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #230
    UrsadonDMBAnts+ Site Supporter
    Mr. A-B

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Someone noticed that in one of the scenes in the trailer you can see a map of the park. A large section of the park (the north end) is labeled restricted area, and that happens to be where the Trex and Dilophosaurus areas were in the first movie. I'll see if i can make a comparison.

My Instagram My Almanac
    UrsadonDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #231
    UrsadonDMBAnts+ Site Supporter
    Mr. A-B

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417132311.033366.jpg

I may stand corrected. Hard to tell which exhibits are in the restricted area but the north end is still cut off from the rest of the park in JW.

My Instagram My Almanac
    UrsadonDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #232
    scoot_14
    half jack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UrsadonDMB View Post
    Attachment 67777

I may stand corrected. Hard to tell which exhibits are in the restricted area but the north end is still cut off from the rest of the park in JW.
    Very cool. Thanks.

I couldn't find any great maps online but I find it interesting that maps made by readers of the novel place the old visitor center in the north part of the island, which would be in that restricted area.
    Old 11-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #233
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone ever play the game on the SNES? Shit was impossible.

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #234
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

yeah that game was awful
    Old 11-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #235
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The book gets much more into the genetic tampering they were doing to control their breeding, dietary tolerances, and even behaviors. I think the characters (Malcolm and the scientists) argued that the animals weren't honest representations of dinosaurs that couldn't be studied reliably from a science concept...and Hammonds opinion was that the point was to "entertain."

That whole part where they watch the cartoon that talks about frog dna has always been the one thing I hate about that movie. They don't explain anything correctly, it feels like it's edited wrong, and there's almost no point to having it in the movie (since they don't go into the science much). The other point that drives me nurse is Grant knowing trex can't see you if you don't move (which is caused by the frog dna...not something a paleontologist would know).
    yup i agree. The book was great. I may read it again soon. The genetic tampering and behavior modification stuff was always very interesting, and something they glossed over in the movies
    Old 11-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #236
    scoot_14
    half jack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yup i agree. The book was great. I may read it again soon. The genetic tampering and behavior modification stuff was always very interesting, and something they glossed over in the movies
    I think I'll read it again soon too. Gotta get through a couple Game of Thrones books first though.
    Old 11-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #237
    DLCSBMMK
    No, baby, you're money

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    Anyone ever play the game on the SNES? Shit was impossible.
    Unnecessary and ultimately moot hours playing that game.
    DLCSBMMK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #238
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is a bad argument. I know a lot of shit that doesn't deal with my profession. Just because he is a paleontologist doesn't mean he couldn't know other information pertaining to a different scientific field

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2014, 04:49 AM   #239
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

That's Dr. Grant to you, son.
    Old 11-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #240
    scoot_14
    half jack

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    This is a bad argument. I know a lot of shit that doesn't deal with my profession. Just because he is a paleontologist doesn't mean he couldn't know other information pertaining to a different scientific field
    Oh grant is no doubt smart enough to figure that out and know about genetics...it's just in the book there's a whole side plot where they discover all the side effects of the dna tampering. They notice the Rex's visual weakness, but don't know it from the get go.