308 Negra Arroyo Lane: Breaking Bad Appreciation - Page 233 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #6961
42graystreet
Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 88

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Breaking Bad *Use Spoiler Tags on ANY episode info that has not aired yet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
agreed. Dean Norris owns that scene
No disrespect to Bryan Cranston either. He was fantastic, but it's just that we've seen him play "Heisenberg" before. We had never seen Hank experience the emotions he was going through in that scene and Dean pulled it off brilliantly.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #6962
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
    No disrespect to Bryan Cranston either. He was fantastic, but it's just that we've seen him play "Heisenberg" before. We had never seen Hank experience the emotions he was going through in that scene and Dean pulled it off brilliantly.
    this is exactly it. Cranston as Heisenberg was chilling (maybe even moreso because it was vs a family member), but Hank doesnt usually show his emotions. to go from rage to betrayal to disappointment and fear..it was great acting
    Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #6963
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Hank, in a way, invented Heisenberg.

He told him how much $ the drug bust netted.
    He took him to see a meth lab.
    He reintroduced him to Jesse Pinkman (kinda)

So he pushed him in the direction to become Heisenberg.

That probably factored into his emotions quite a bit as well.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #6964
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

That scene was Dean Norris' finest moment on this show by about 6 billion miles. I'm thinking this is going to be a great season for him, hopefully to the point where he gets nominated for an Emmy.
    Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #6965
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post

yup, exactly. Hell, he was the one who VOLUNTEERED to take Walt along on a drug bust.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #6966
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post

That probably factored into his emotions quite a bit as well.
    i don't think he's thought of this yet. aside from the stuff he obviously explained before punching him, it'll be a big factor when he tries to answer "why"
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #6967
    haybale97
    king of men

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Just finished my re-watch of S5.1 and the first episode of S5.2 and wow, that final scene was so intense. Hank did not need to say a word and you knew exactly what was going on in his head. Unbelievable acting and very chilling to see Walt go all Heisenberg on (another) family member.

Lydia has proven how (stupidly) dangerous she can be, so Walt really is taking a risk not helping her out. Are we assuming that Tod is now the main cook?

I started thinking about this last night and while we can't decide yet, it will be interesting to see whether Jesse would have been better off to have just been caught in the pilot episode and gone to jail rather than to get in cahoots with Walt. A lot more people would be alive and Jesse wouldn't have been as mentally fucked. But Walt did help Jesse get off meth (in one way or another), so. It will definitely be interesting.

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #6968
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haybale97 View Post
    Lydia has proven how (stupidly) dangerous she can be, so Walt really is taking a risk not helping her out. Are we assuming that Tod is now the main cook?

I guess I'm just naive of the drug trade, but I still don't understand how this isn't just essentially one big math equation. If someone's got detailed instructions, of you take this chemical and that chemical, you pour it into this object and mix it in that object in this specific order, how can't anyone (especially who's now done it multiple times, including directly with Walt), basically can't produce much the same product. I mean yea I guess it was "art" that Walt originally knew how to put this recipe together, but that's just what it is now, a recipe. It's black and white science. I mean unless we're talking about that, if it is indeed Todd, he doesn't have full access to exactly the same original chemicals, then yea okay that makes more sense to me. But I don't think that's ever really been indicated.

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson

Last edited by junior94; 08-15-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #6969
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just finished my re-watch of S5.1 and the first episode of S5.2 and wow, that final scene was so intense. Hank did not need to say a word and you knew exactly what was going on in his head. Unbelievable acting and very chilling to see Walt go all Heisenberg on (another) family member.

I started thinking about this last night and while we can't decide yet, it will be interesting to see whether Jesse would have been better off to have just been caught in the pilot episode and gone to jail rather than to get in cahoots with Walt. A lot more people would be alive and Jesse wouldn't have been as mentally fucked. But Walt did help Jesse get off meth (in one way or another), so. It will definitely be interesting.
    if jesse can cook 96% pure meth, tod should be able to hit at least 90%. so i don't know.
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #6970
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    I guess I'm just naive of the drug trade, but I still don't understand how this isn't just essentially one big math equation. If someone's got detailed instructions, of you take this chemical and that chemical, you pour it into this object and mix it in that object in this specific order, how can't anyone (especially who's now done it multiple times, including directly with Walt), basically can't produce much the same product. I mean yea I guess it was "art" that Walt originally knew how to put this recipe together, but that's just what it is now, a recipe. It's black and white science. I mean unless we're talking about that, if it is indeed Todd, he doesn't have full access to exactly the same original chemicals, then yea okay that makes more sense to me. But I don't think that's ever really been indicated.
    I think there's a lot more chemistry involved, specifically keeping the ph at a certain level to keep the cook going well. Also Tod may be overlooking what he may consider simple things that could make a huge difference. Think about baking and how things can easily be screwed up by a minor mistake. Then think about teaching somebody who's never seen the inside of a kitchen and teaching them how to bake the most complex thing you can think of.

Tod never really had a chance if he only had ~1.5 months training.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    if jesse can cook 96% pure meth, tod should be able to hit at least 90%. so i don't know.
    Jesse was making his own product before he met Walt so he already had much more experience than Tod. Also, the amount of time Jesse had spent with Walt cooking has got to make a difference and have more of an understanding of what to do if something goes wrong with the cook.

Out With Gout
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #6971
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Jesse was making his own product before he met Walt so he already had much more experience than Tod. Also, the amount of time Jesse had spent with Walt cooking has got to make a difference and have more of an understanding of what to do if something goes wrong with the cook.
    irrelevant since they're vastly different cooks, event the cooks he did on his own that were not up to walt's standards had to be 80+%. jesse was able produce 96% after like 6-8 months?
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #6972
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post

Oh, you think it's just a recipe?

Catalytic hydrogenation; is it protic or aprotic? Because I forget. And if our reduction is not stereospecific then how can our product be enantiomerically pure? I mean, is 1 phenyl, 1 hydroxyl 2 methylaminopropane containing, of course, chiral centers at carbons number 1 and 2 on the propane chain? Then reduction to methamphetamine eliminates which chiral center is it again? Because I forgot. Come on, help me out, professor!

What happens when you get a bad barrel of precursor? Or how would you even know it? And what happens in the summer when-- When-- When the humidity rises and your product goes cloudy? How would you guard against that?
    GSUdawg521 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #6973
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

well I would've hoped the overall tone of my post indicated that I was willing, even happy to be proven wrong Obviously mine's been a very layman's POV looking at it.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #6974
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

That's actually a Walt quote right?

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #6975
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    That's actually a Walt quote right?
    sure is. before victor died.
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #6976
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    irrelevant since they're vastly different cooks, event the cooks he did on his own that were not up to walt's standards had to be 80+%. jesse was able produce 96% after like 6-8 months?
    I still think it's easier to have familiarity with the process as well as the desired results and ~4x more experience with an expert cook like Walt than Tod has. Jesse already (basically) knew the process, he just had to refine it.

It's also very possible that Tod just isn't a good cook, plain and simple.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Oh, you think it's just a recipe?

Catalytic hydrogenation; is it protic or aprotic? Because I forget. And if our reduction is not stereospecific then how can our product be enantiomerically pure? I mean, is 1 phenyl, 1 hydroxyl 2 methylaminopropane containing, of course, chiral centers at carbons number 1 and 2 on the propane chain? Then reduction to methamphetamine eliminates which chiral center is it again? Because I forgot. Come on, help me out, professor!

What happens when you get a bad barrel of precursor? Or how would you even know it? And what happens in the summer when-- When-- When the humidity rises and your product goes cloudy? How would you guard against that?

Out With Gout
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #6977
    thebridge15

My Tour Central Stats

Exactly. Jesse already knew how to cook, just needed refining on the chemistry. Vice versa for Gale.

Todd was basically starting from scratch.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #6978
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Now that I think about it more, I think that Todd will want to come after Walt more than Lydia for not helping him out. He'll see it as a slap in the face for all that he did for Walt and we've already seen that he doesn't really have a problem with killing people.
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #6979
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Now that I think about it more, I think that Todd will want to come after Walt more than Lydia for not helping him out. He'll see it as a slap in the face for all that he did for Walt and we've already seen that he doesn't really have a problem with killing people.
    meh - Todd is very low level right now. Its going to be the big wigs coming after Walt
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #6980
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The ricin might be for Tod and/or Lydia, the canon that he purchased is for Chezch people. No way Tod is that big of a threat that he needs to cut him in half.

Out With Gout
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #6981
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

What big wigs are you referring to? My general thought process would be that whoever is above Lydia might not want to be directly involved with taking Walt out. They'll probably tell Lydia to figure out a way to get the meth better than 68% pure, or else. She's clearly very intimidated by Walt, so I wouldn't be surprised if she urged Todd to help her, or he took it upon himself. He seems to be very interested in making a name for himself.
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #6982
    thebridge15

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think Todd's a threat at all. I don't see him going after Walt. I mean shit the reason he shot the kid was cause Walt drilled in his head that no one could know about the operation.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #6983
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

I guess I'm not sold on the Czech's being so directly involved in coming after Walt.

Maybe the arsenal is for a standoff with the DEA/authorities?
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #6984
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Is there any chance Walt gets back in the game? In terms of actively cooking, that is.
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #6985
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess I'm not sold on the Czech's being so directly involved in coming after Walt.

Maybe the arsenal is for a standoff with the DEA/authorities?
    i'm not either. seems unlikely.
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #6986
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

I can't see Walt going to war with the DEA unless something drastic happens. Walt is smart enough to know that he can't win that fight, unless he wants to die.

Out With Gout
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #6987
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can't see Walt going to war with the DEA unless something drastic happens. Walt is smart enough to know that he can't win that fight, unless he wants to die.
    He can't win a fight against the Czech mafia either.
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #6988
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He can't win a fight against the Czech mafia either.
    Maybe not alone, but on his home turf with the right hired goons and plan in place, he can certainly make a stand.

He single-handedly took out the most powerful kingpin in the southwest, and also found a way to eliminate 10 potential witnesses who were already in jail. I'd say he's got the resources to take a stand against Lydia's peeps.

That said, Lydia is in such a corner right now that I think she'll do something over the top. She was about to piss herself when Skyler confronted her outside of the car wash.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #6989
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    this is exactly it. Cranston as Heisenberg was chilling (maybe even moreso because it was vs a family member), but Hank doesnt usually show his emotions. to go from rage to betrayal to disappointment and fear..it was great acting
    While all of this is absolutely true of course, it was a treat to watch that little acting clinic that Dean Norris put on... but one of the things I've really noticed when going back thru season 1 and 2 the last few days, that overly contrived, corny office camraderie behavior that we see all the time between Hank and Gomez when they're at work. Like "Hey I'm getting that promotion, you gonna miss me, Gomey?" "Yea, I'll miss looking at that ugly mug all day", etc... that kind of stuff. Like after awhile it's kind of groan inducing.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #6990
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

^ Also, on Talking Bad last week...

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote