what really frustrates me with BWGGK.. - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
acoustic_soul
proudest billie

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

what really frustrates me with BWGGK..

This is a great album, but I get frustrated when I listen to it for a few reasons

1) As we all know, there is very little Boyd. that's annoying. what worse is that I can hear him on a few songs, but he's turn down so low that I had to turn up my headphones to hear it. that's not cool. I feel like Tim is on this record at the expense of Boyd.

It's almost as if the "sound" of the band has changed a bit.

..which brings me to #2

2) Too much electric guitar. Even though I'm a guitarist, I always loved the "sound" of the band, how Roi and Boyd were there instead of an electric guitarist. It was one of the things that made DMB unique and special for me. I don't like the sound of many of these songs with Tim all over them.

Tim did a great job with the Big 3 by positively contributing to the albums without being overbearing, but on this album, it's all Tim, all the time.

I think a song like FTWII would sound awesome with acoustic guitars instead of electric, which is my point.

3)Songs lack depth IMO. I LOVE the songs on BW, I adore them. They have tons of potential and this is what frustrates me.

On the Big 3, there are a lot of instrumental parts and solos from members of the band, and the songs were more complex as a result. On BW, there are rarely any solos, and if there are any, they are from Tim.

We all heard the "needs the pace" part from Scenes from BW. I am assuming this was from Time Bomb. It shouldn't have been scrapped. Parts like that are what made those songs from the Big 3 so special. If they had left that section in Time Bomb, it would probably be one of my favorite DMB songs ever. It is frustrating because I wonder what other parts like this were scrapped from other songs.

With all this being said, they should feel like they have musical freedom, and all that matters is that DMB makes an album that they like. I think the album is awesome, which is why I just shake my head at what it could have been. I think if they had done a few things differently, this album would easily be as good as the big 3, which is why I am frustrated.

I'm sorry for writing a novel.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
    slmiller1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: what really frustrates me with BWGGK..

I too was thinking the same thing about the electric feel. Plus, Dave is playing a Taylor on this Go back to Martin Dave

Also, where's Shotgun or Idea of You?
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slmiller1 View Post
    I too was thinking the same thing about the electric feel. Plus, Dave is playing a Taylor on this Go back to Martin Dave

a song about suicide is hardly a fitting song that is dedicated to your fallen friend...it's like dumping on the brides dress at a wedding. would really be inappropriate.
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmband425 View Post
    a song about suicide is hardly a fitting song that is dedicated to your fallen friend...it's like dumping on the brides dress at a wedding. would really be inappropriate.

agreed. Anyway, I hope their next album is comprised of unreleased live songs. They have been road tested and we know they are good. It would be the same kind of thing as Crash and UTTAD.
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Dave only plays Martin guitars on D+T or Dave solo tours. He has always played Taylor guitars with the band. At least this decade anyway
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
    jmband

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acoustic_soul View Post
    This is a great album, but I get frustrated when I listen to it for a few reasons

1) As we all know, there is very little Boyd. that's annoying. what worse is that I can hear him on a few songs, but he's turn down so low that I had to turn up my headphones to hear it. that's not cool. I feel like Tim is on this record at the expense of Boyd.

..which brings me to #2

2) Too much electric guitar. Even though I'm a guitarist, I always loved the "sound" of the band, how Roi and Boyd were there instead of an electric guitarist. It was one of the things that made DMB unique and special for me. I don't like the sound of many of these songs with Tim all over them.

Tim did a great job with the Big 3 by positively contributing to the albums without being overbearing, but on this album, it's all Tim, all the time.

I think a song like FTWII would sound awesome with acoustic guitars instead of electric, which is my point.

3)Songs lack depth IMO. I LOVE the songs on BW, I adore them. They have tons of potential and this is what frustrates me.

On the Big 3, there are a lot of instrumental parts and solos from members of the band, and the songs were more complex as a result. On BW, there are rarely any solos, and if there are any, they are from Tim.

We all heard the "needs the pace" part from Scenes from BW. I am assuming this was from Time Bomb. It shouldn't have been scrapped. Parts like that are what made those songs from the Big 3 so special. If they had left that section in Time Bomb, it would probably be one of my favorite DMB songs ever. It is frustrating because I wonder what other parts like this were scrapped from other songs.

With all this being said, they should feel like they have musical freedom, and all that matters is that DMB makes an album that they like. I think the album is awesome, which is why I just shake my head at what it could have been. I think if they had done a few things differently, this album would easily be as good as the big 3, which is why I am frustrated.

I agree, cant really say all songs lack depth though, but al those lame lyrics and bridges should have been Boyd and Jeff jamming...
    09.02.05 - 08.23.06 - 07.09.08 - 07.11.08 - 07.12.08 - Gorge 2008 - 04.14.09 - 04.15.09 - 07.18.09 - 07.19.09 - Gorge 2009 - 07.03.10 - 07.04.10 - Gorge 2010 - Gorge 2012 - 03.15.15 - 03.16.15 - 09.02.16 - 09.04.16 - Gorge 2018
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Read the lyrics to Time Bomb's first verse bro .
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

..which brings me to #2

I disagree with this post in the sense that it is wrong to judge any of this bands albums based on the lack of jams. I would much rather them make future albums with good tight songs, than try and extend mediocre tracks with jams. Mostly every song on big whiskey will be jammed out to an extent live, so why do you need both? I think a clean consise studio cut is good to have along side a drawn out monster of a live cut
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    I disagree with this post in the sense that it is wrong to judge any of this bands albums based on the lack of jams. I would much rather them make future albums with good tight songs, than try and extend mediocre tracks with jams. Mostly every song on big whiskey will be jammed out to an extent live, so why do you need both? I think a clean consise studio cut is good to have along side a drawn out monster of a live cut
    There ain't nothing mediocre about the studio jams of Nancies, 41, Crush, LIOG. Those tracks wouldn't be half as good without them.

In other words, I respectfully disagree. I like my DMB studio albums chock full of violin and sax jams.
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

you should drop the extra period out of the thread title...jake is lockin ... threads, cuz he's sick of seeing them.
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I didn't say I want "jams". I'd like to see more depth within the songs and more instrumental parts. That being said, it's only my opinion.
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
    dotpsd

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Why can't people just not complain? Just enjoy what they put out, it's great music.
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you should drop the extra period out of the thread title...jake is lockin ... threads, cuz he's sick of seeing them.

oh shit that was a typo, I wasn't meaning for it to be like the "..." kind of thing.
    Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dotpsd View Post

Why can't people just not complain? Just enjoy what they put out, it's great music.
    Nothing is as annoying as stupid posts like this.
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I like good music. I don't like bad music. I get frustrated when I hear good music that could be awesome music.

Last edited by acoustic_soul; 06-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
    kingchrisII
    The book of Dilligaf

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    Nothing is as annoying as stupid posts like this.
    Overly negative posts are much more annoying than overly positive posts.

People that talk about how no songs from BWGK should A) kill themselves or b) get off this website.

(Not talking about you, but someone who might have called BWGK Everyday volume 2)

That shits much more annoying than this.

(yes, you can sig that)
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

yeah man. communism all the way. no one should ever get out of line. makes no sense...kinda like on a sinking boat with women and children first, i mean why should they get to go first
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #18
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There ain't nothing mediocre about the studio jams of Nancies, 41, Crush, LIOG. Those tracks wouldn't be half as good without them.

In other words, I respectfully disagree. I like my DMB studio albums chock full of violin and sax jams.
    You did not read my post correctly. I said future albums! i did not knock any previous work. I said i would take compact good songs, over drawn out mediocre songs
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

AMEN
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You did not read my post correctly. I said future albums! i did not knock any previous work. I said i would take compact good songs, over drawn out mediocre songs
    Fair enough, but I'd take good songs with good jams over compact good songs. That's just me though.
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fair enough, but I'd take good songs with good jams over compact good songs. That's just me though.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #22
    handyc7
    www.randycraig.com

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Interesting. To be honest, i don't think it would have made much of a difference. And personally, i'd take a Taylor ANYDAY over a Martin. But every guitar player has their own preference.
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
    kingchrisII
    The book of Dilligaf

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah man. communism all the way. no one should ever get out of line. makes no sense...kinda like on a sinking boat with women and children first, i mean why should they get to go first
    Fuck the album was only a 9 out of 10, wasnt a 10 out of 10... lets bitch moan and protest.

Much better logic.

edit: that sounded harsh, and like I was taking a stab at you. I just mean that both extremes to the sides are wrong.

People can complain, but when they go over board its even more ridiculous than not complaining at all.

(yes, you can sig that)

Last edited by kingchrisII; 06-07-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #24
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingchrisII View Post
    Overly negative posts are much more annoying than overly positive posts.

People that talk about how no songs from BWGK should A) kill themselves or b) get off this website.

(Not talking about you, but someone who might have called BWGK Everyday volume 2)

That shits much more annoying than this.
    wasn't that you that said the OP should kill himself
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #25
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fuck the album was only a 9 out of 10, wasnt a 10 out of 10... lets bitch moan and protest.

Much better logic.
    Actually that's not good logic at all. You are assuming that everyone thinks it's a 9/10.
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #26
    kingchrisII
    The book of Dilligaf

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    wasn't that you that said the OP should kill himself
    it was indeed.

(yes, you can sig that)
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
    kingchrisII
    The book of Dilligaf

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Actually that's not good logic at all. You are assuming that everyone thinks it's a 9/10.
    I dont think that... Thats just a fact.

(yes, you can sig that)
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Much better logic.
    this is a discussion board, and not everyone is gonna see things the same way. this isn't candyland where we all dance and hold hands with gumdrop smiles. people can bitch that they don't like something, but when they really don't back up why they don't like it, or spend an entire afternoon convincing everyone else they are wrong it gets a little tierd. my point is, it's the internet, where else you gonna complain?

Last edited by dmband425; 06-07-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #29
    kingchrisII
    The book of Dilligaf

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    this is a discussion board, and not everyone is gonna see things the same way. this isn't candyland where we all dance and hold hands with gumdrop smiles. people can bitch that they don't like something, but when they really don't back up why they don't, or spend an entire afternoon convincing everyone else they are wrong it gets a little tierd. my point is, it's the internet, where ales you gonna complain?
    I agree... After I read what I wrote I realized I phrased it wrong, thats why I edited it.

Being critical when you have a point is one thing...

(yes, you can sig that)
    Old 06-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #30
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I dont think that... Thats just a fact.

good one. I personally think it's probably a 7 or 8 out of 10. Does that give me the right to complain since I don't think it's a 9/10?