BWGK on Vinyl - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #61
BDJCL3
Piss on you Wyatt

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: BWGK on Vinyl

I have learned more about audio from this thread than I have in a very, very long time. Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStonethePig View Post
Tapers are Gods among drunks... thank you tapers for letting us re-live our shows

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #62
    BDJCL3
    Piss on you Wyatt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    This is the stylus on my turntable - http://www.needledoctor.com/Goldring-1012-GX

Good lord that's an expensive stylus. Can you tell a difference enough to justify spending that money?

Quote:
    Tapers are Gods among drunks... thank you tapers for letting us re-live our shows
    Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #63
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

i love reading the intelligent posts on this board of people that know what they are talking about. you can learn a crap ton from them.
    Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #64
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDJCL3 View Post
    Good lord that's an expensive stylus. Can you tell a difference enough to justify spending that money?
    I originally listened to a similar turntable with the Goldring Elektra stylus, which retails for around $90. The dealer then let me hear the same record on a similar turntable but with that $300 stylus and man, it was absolutely night and day.

Within the first 60 seconds of the record I looked at the dealer and said "damn, I can't believe this is the same record." The percussion in particular sounded real. Previously it had sounded like an ordinary recording, with the 1012GX it sounded like the cymbals were in the room with me.

Now I don't get duped by stupid sales techniques. I watched and knew than the previous turntable had simply been unplugged and replaced with the new one. The cables were the same, the Roxsan amplifier was the same, same phono preamp, etc.

I would definitely recommend the original turntable I was listening to (Rega P1 with Goldring Elektra) to anyone looking for an entry-level turntable at the $350-level, but yes the upgrade in stylus was well worth the money.

Oh and the turntable I bought came with that stylus, so I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP for it!!

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-12-2009 at 07:33 AM.
    Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #65
    BDJCL3
    Piss on you Wyatt

My Tour Central Stats

^That's awesome. My record player is a bit older and is in the same unit with a radio and tape player. It's one of those combo unit type things. I looked on that website you posted and found the stylus I would need, about $30. Maybe I'll invest in a nicer turntable style record player at some point.

Who makes a pretty decent one for a fairly cheap price, less than $100 or so?

Quote:
    Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #66
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    ^That's awesome. My record player is a bit older and is in the same unit with a radio and tape player. It's one of those combo unit type things. I looked on that website you posted and found the stylus I would need, about $30. Maybe I'll invest in a nicer turntable style record player at some point.

Unfortunately, no one. You get what you pay for with turntables. You can go to Best Buy and get one for $100 but it will be garbage. The Audio Technica PL-120 (about $225-250) and the Rega P1 (around $350) are very nice entry level tables that are high quality and sound good. I have the PL-120 and I absolutely love it.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #67
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd have to agree with the previous poster, you're better off spending that $100 on vinyl.

I would definitely recommend you consider moving your budget up to $400 and look at either the Rega P1 or Pro-Ject Debut III - the sonic improvements over a $100 Denon/Sony/etc. turntable are well over 4x and you'll get a turntable with a stylus that actually loves vinyl and polishes it, rather than erodes away at it.
    Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #68
    silvermaroon

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

i can see them releasing all their albums in vinyl, whenever that may be, in a really beautiful boxed set. i think i'll hold off on buying big whiskey on vinyl until that comes true. live releases on vinyl? i doubt it
    here stood my dreaming tree
    Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #69
    BDJCL3
    Piss on you Wyatt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by silvermaroon View Post
    i can see them releasing all their albums in vinyl, whenever that may be, in a really beautiful boxed set. i think i'll hold off on buying big whiskey on vinyl until that comes true. live releases on vinyl? i doubt it
    I wouldn't hold off on buying anything just because of your assumptions.

Quote:
    Old 03-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #70
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Plenty of other bands have live releases out on vinyl.
    I'm looking forward to Pearl Jam's "Drop in the Park" '92 show in two weeks and it's ONLY available on vinyl.

The Police's "Certifiable" release that just came out is on a 3-LP set.
    Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #71
    Jamima2fl
    Take me Back...

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbftp View Post
    qft. I wonder how many people have 2 copies of the original pressing.

You and me. Any others?

I "celebrate" having 2. Would buy a 3rd if it meant not having the slit cut in the cover.
    Old 03-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #72
    BDJCL3
    Piss on you Wyatt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jamima2fl View Post
    I "celebrate" having 2. Would buy a 3rd if it meant not having the slit cut in the cover.
    Are you saying you have a 3rd prospect, but you aren't going to buy it because of the slit cut in the cover?

Quote:
    Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #73
    Jamima2fl
    Take me Back...

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CUTiger41 View Post
    You'd think that but that may not be the case since the market will be diluted with new vinyl.

Case and point, Ryan Adams' original Gold lp would sell for $100-$135 consistantly before its re-issue. After the re-issue, it NEVER goes that high. Doesn't even break $25 now. Same goes for Elliott Smith when they re-issued XO ($100) and Figure 8 ($200). Prices plummeted. Next up: Ben Harper. His vinyl is doing the same thing.

Most people don't care if it's an original or re-issue, only collectors do. The people bidding those up so high just wanted the vinyl - now they can get it for cheap. They see no reason to pay $150 for a record they can get for $20.

Just my $.02.
    I beg to differ, Ryan Adams Gold original pressings were Red & Blue Vinyl with a numbered 1-1000 Gatefold. The reissue is black vinyl... no numbers, not a gatefold. The reissue also sound "tinny" even though it was pressed in 180. I covet my Gold albums and would pay good money for an original pressing... especially with a lower number. If they aren't selling for more, it is b/c the seller won't show or advertise the 1/1000 number or it's lost in the crowd. RA fans will still pay quite a bit for that.
    Old 03-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #74
    lestat1600
    Big Whiskey/Gorge 09

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

hope so, and will do all I can to get a copy
    Old 03-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #75
    lestat1600
    Big Whiskey/Gorge 09

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CUTiger41 View Post
    You'd think that but that may not be the case since the market will be diluted with new vinyl.

Case and point, Ryan Adams' original Gold lp would sell for $100-$135 consistantly before its re-issue. After the re-issue, it NEVER goes that high. Doesn't even break $25 now. Same goes for Elliott Smith when they re-issued XO ($100) and Figure 8 ($200). Prices plummeted. Next up: Ben Harper. His vinyl is doing the same thing.

Most people don't care if it's an original or re-issue, only collectors do. The people bidding those up so high just wanted the vinyl - now they can get it for cheap. They see no reason to pay $150 for a record they can get for $20.

Just my $.02.

you are so very wrong....not just collectors also those that know anything about vinyl, re-issues, orginal/1st printings. the main reason why those re-issues dropped in price that much is because so did the quality. lesser price drops will be because something changed, such as inserts, cover, label etc.... although sometimes this to can cause such a price drop or more of one depending on if quality changed.

also thats like saying there is no difference between flac and mp3 and the only people that care if its flac are tapers.
    Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #76
    CUTiger41
    I'm Ron F'in Swanson.

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jamima2fl View Post
    I beg to differ, Ryan Adams Gold original pressings were Red & Blue Vinyl with a numbered 1-1000 Gatefold. The reissue is black vinyl... no numbers, not a gatefold. The reissue also sound "tinny" even though it was pressed in 180. I covet my Gold albums and would pay good money for an original pressing... especially with a lower number. If they aren't selling for more, it is b/c the seller won't show or advertise the 1/1000 number or it's lost in the crowd. RA fans will still pay quite a bit for that.
    There are 3 variations of Gold on vinyl. The red/blue vinyl was a limited promotional item and only a select few, mainly radio stations, recieved this. This was not an item you could walk into the store and purchase. It was not the original pressing released to the masses, this was the black vinyl. The third is the re-issue of gold from a few years back which was definately not on 180g.

The red/blue vinyl has consistently sells higher since it's limited to 1,000 copies. RA fans, myself included, will definately pay more for the promo release because of its rarity. The original black vinyl would sell in the low $100's before Lost Highway re-issued it. And BTW, the re-issue is terrible in quality. There have been many reports of warped records and such.

Same goes for his first record Heartbreaker. The original Bloodshot issue on Cooking Vinyl would pull in $100's as well. It was re-issued and prices dropped for the original. Hell, they even re-issued a double vinyl 180g limited to 500 copies for $23.99 over a year ago and you can still purchase it from Aural Exploits (http://www.auralexploits.com/product_5138.htm). I don't see people busting down doors to get this release.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lestat1600 View Post
    you are so very wrong....not just collectors also those that know anything about vinyl, re-issues, orginal/1st printings. the main reason why those re-issues dropped in price that much is because so did the quality. lesser price drops will be because something changed, such as inserts, cover, label etc.... although sometimes this to can cause such a price drop or more of one depending on if quality changed.

also thats like saying there is no difference between flac and mp3 and the only people that care if its flac are tapers.
    The originals dropped in price even when the re-issue had quality issues (see Gold). By your assertation, the prices of the original would have gone UP due to the poor quality of the re-issue.

So, in that regard, I don't see the average fan giving a shit about the quality of vinyl. They just want the vinyl. Most don't even have a record player and most keep them sealed and framed. They just want the full catalogue. Only collecting completists will want the original issue. Anyways, I'm just basing my opinions on the re-issues of vinyls for 3 artists who have a fairly large collecting following and who's prices have subsequently dropped upon the release of the re-issues.

It's a simple case of supply and demand. Demand currently exceeds supply for BTCS but that will end once they re-issue it.

However, I do hope I'm wrong because I have a pristine copy of BTCS and would hate for it to lose it's value, though I only paid $20 for it.

Last edited by CUTiger41; 03-13-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #77
    AFurth
    new cd (iTunes): 4.4.09

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

wow.

i might buy this record after all. if i can't dig it on vinyl, i'll never dig it...

Old 03-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #78
    AFurth
    new cd (iTunes): 4.4.09

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    This won't be the case with the new album, as I'm sure they recorded into a digital board
    I wish they would do carter's kit on tape.
    My goodness would that be a change from the last record.

I need to produce this band...

Old 04-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #79
    MPizzle06
    EPL CHAMPIONS!

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Double-LP Vinyl Release CONFIRMED by Amazon as well as AM.org Podcast 22!!!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #80
    Billies09

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MPizzle06 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Whiskey-Go...9585758&sr=1-1
    Old 04-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #81
    jkrue22
    What it means

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Billies09 View Post
    They're seriously only $19? So basically I should buy one just for the collector's value...
    2012 Ants Fantasy Baseball H2H Keeper League and League #4 Champion
    Old 04-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #82
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Billies09 View Post

good find...just preordered my copy
    Old 04-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #83
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Unfortunately, no one. You get what you pay for with turntables. You can go to Best Buy and get one for $100 but it will be garbage. The Audio Technica PL-120 (about $225-250) and the Rega P1 (around $350) are very nice entry level tables that are high quality and sound good. I have the PL-120 and I absolutely love it.
    I just got the PL-120 last week - and I agree - great entry level turntable. And I got it from Amazon for $175.00. Well worth it.
    Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #84
    rj_reda

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    Until DMB starts releasing albums on SACD or Blu-Ray audio, vinyl is the best sounding format they have.
    One could only hope, but I won't hold my breath. Getting the Radio City BR was a gift and is one of the best A/V experiences out there on BR.
    Old 04-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #85
    rj_reda

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    Imagine a 5.1 release of BTCS
    Closest you can get right now is playing it through Dolby Prologic II Music processing which is a really cool experience. It would sound phenomenal in 5.1.
    Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #86
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amoore624426 View Post
    is anyone not that excited for the new album?
    love that avatar man...arctic monkey's are one of my favorite bands. pretty solid side project.
    Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #87
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rj_reda View Post
    Closest you can get right now is playing it through Dolby Prologic II Music processing which is a really cool experience. It would sound phenomenal in 5.1.
    I agree that The Stone sounds pretty cool (with either PLIIx or Neo:6) but I rarely listen to anything on CD other than DIRECT mode. I prefer whatever configuration the source is in.
    Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #88
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rj_reda View Post
    One could only hope, but I won't hold my breath. Getting the Radio City BR was a gift and is one of the best A/V experiences out there on BR.
    If you could hold your breath for 2~3 years there's a great chance of seeing some!
    Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #89
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MPizzle06 View Post

Totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was beginning to have serious doubts.
    Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #90
    pricedon

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

so let me get this straight.... this is a double LP????? and if thats between 20-30 min on each side.... how long is BWGK gonna be, thats def. longer than this site posted on the homepage recently.