**NCAA Basketball Thread** - Page 1666 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #49951
vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Preseason NCAA Basketball Poll is released

I'm obviously an OSU fan but I think UNC will be number 1. UK number 2. And OSU number 3.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #49952
    dmbbearcat

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    I agree with you. However, a Duke fan has to frame today in terms of failure for UNC, so it's certainly not surprising.

Anyway, it appears to me that Carolina will have two extremely difficult road games early next year. Of course the yearly matchup with Kentucky is in Lexington next year, so that's already definitely on the slate. Further, I think that ESPN will match up the Heels and Ohio State in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge; given that the Big Ten has already announced that OSU is hosting their Challenge game this year, that means (if you accept the premise that UNC and OSU will play in the Challenge) Carolina will have road games against 2 of the top 3 teams in the preseason poll, and possibly the top two if Carolina winds up third in the 'race' for preseason #1.
    Come on. It's not a disappointment if UNC doesn't win it all? I talked to relatives of mine in Chapel Hill today and they agreed with me.
    dmbbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #49953
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbbearcat View Post
    Come on. It's not a disappointment if UNC doesn't win it all? I talked to relatives of mine in Chapel Hill today and they agreed with me.
    Again, it certainly will be. The problem is that Kentucky and Ohio State feel the same way. Somebody is going to be unhappy.
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #49954
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Of course I would be disappointed. There is also a huge difference between "disappointment" and "massive failure."
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #49955
    dmbbearcat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clayj41 View Post
    Again, it certainly will be. The problem is that Kentucky and Ohio State feel the same way. Somebody is going to be unhappy.
    True.

Quote:
    Of course I would be disappointed. There is also a huge difference between "disappointment" and "massive failure."
    Good point. I guess I should have re-worded it differently.
    Old 04-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #49956
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

Location: Cawood Ledford Court at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Hopefully knight or jones agree with the "fuck the millions of dollars, let's win a championship" philosophy they preach in chapel hill
    whygohome? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #49957
    dmbbearcat

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I have to give Roy credit. He gets a lot of his guys to stay a couple of years for how good they are.
    Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #49958
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome? View Post
    Hopefully knight or jones agree with the "fuck the millions of dollars, let's win a championship" philosophy they preach in chapel hill
    Not giving up the millions, delaying the millions.

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #49959
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree with you. However, a Duke fan has to frame today in terms of failure for UNC, so it's certainly not surprising.

Anyway, it appears to me that Carolina will have two extremely difficult road games early next year. Of course the yearly matchup with Kentucky is in Lexington next year, so that's already definitely on the slate. Further, I think that ESPN will match up the Heels and Ohio State in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge; given that the Big Ten has already announced that OSU is hosting their Challenge game this year, that means (if you accept the premise that UNC and OSU will play in the Challenge) Carolina will have road games against 2 of the top 3 teams in the preseason poll, and possibly the top two if Carolina winds up third in the 'race' for preseason #1.
    There's no way North Carolina ends up any lower than second, and I think they'd be likely to get the edge over Kentucky even if everybody returns. The Heels are going to be tested though, that is for sure. They've also got the game against Michigan St. on the aircraft carrier.

Quote:
    Yeah, I have to give Roy credit. He gets a lot of his guys to stay a couple of years for how good they are.
    I think a big part of that is the type of kids Roy tends to recruit. I'm not saying Selby is a bad person, but if you read that article that was posted earlier in here, he grew up in a completely different type of situation than someone like Barnes. I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, but am pretty comfortable saying that an elite talent who was raised in Iowa and entered college as a sophomore is more likely to stick around for a second year than someone who spent a lot of time growing up around the drug game in Baltimore.

Coach K isn't too bad at that either. He convinced Singler to come back and fall out of the first round, and Smith to do the same only to have his stock hold steady in a draft that is weaker than last year.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #49960
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

If Knight and Jones return, UK could easily challenge North Carolina IMO.. I don't think that will happen, but it's possible. If not, UNC is clearly #1.. And yes, it will be a colossal failure if they don't win a championship.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #49961
    DMBfreak41
    ^I'm so creative

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Whenever Iowa is mentioned now I can only think of two things: Harrison Barnes and Flava Flav and his chicken joint.
    Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #49962
    dmbbearcat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    There's no way North Carolina ends up any lower than second, and I think they'd be likely to get the edge over Kentucky even if everybody returns. The Heels are going to be tested though, that is for sure. They've also got the game against Michigan St. on the aircraft carrier.

I think a big part of that is the type of kids Roy tends to recruit. I'm not saying Selby is a bad person, but if you read that article that was posted earlier in here, he grew up in a completely different type of situation than someone like Barnes. I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, but am pretty comfortable saying that an elite talent who was raised in Iowa and entered college as a sophomore is more likely to stick around for a second year than someone who spent a lot of time growing up around the drug game in Baltimore.

Coach K isn't too bad at that either. He convinced Singler to come back and fall out of the first round, and Smith to do the same only to have his stock hold steady in a draft that is weaker than last year.
    Unless I read it wrong, I like the back-handed compliment toward K
    Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #49963
    emu513

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Man I just cannot comprehend. I loved college and my university as much as anyone but damn if someone said to me "emu513 we will gladly pay you millions of dollars to play basketball right now" I'd be outta Ohio State in a flash.

Sure college is fun but I'd bet making it rain with dollar dollar bills is a tad bit more fun.
    Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #49964
    dmbbearcat

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I would care a lot more about money than I do playing basketball for a scholarship.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #49965
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Does anybody buy the argument that CBB has "so much to gain" with the NFL and NBA possibly locking out? I read an article yesterday positing that. I'd love to see it, but I don't know that anybody is going to completely change their perspective on sports because of a temporary labor stoppage in either league. It doesn't seem to me that people who don't watch CBB fail to do so because of any lack of knowledge about the sport, just a personal preference for other sports. Of course, if NBA/NFL aren't playing there will need to be something to fill that void, but I don't think that there will be anything other than a fleeting positive effect for CBB.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #49966
    seekupig

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Selby is the first type of player that fits that mold that Bill Self has ever recruited. i think it's safe to say that it's his last too. We'll just chalk that up to a learning experience and move on.
    seekupig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #49967
    seekupig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does anybody buy the argument that CBB has "so much to gain" with the NFL and NBA possibly locking out? I read an article yesterday positing that. I'd love to see it, but I don't know that anybody is going to completely change their perspective on sports because of a temporary labor stoppage in either league. It doesn't seem to me that people who don't watch CBB fail to do so because of any lack of knowledge about the sport, just a personal preference for other sports. Of course, if NBA/NFL aren't playing there will need to be something to fill that void, but I don't think that there will be anything other than a fleeting positive effect for CBB.
    agree 100%. you may grab the casual fan because nothing else is on, but as soon as those leagues resume play their fans will go back to being bracket fans.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #49968
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupig View Post
    agree 100%. you may grab the casual fan because nothing else is on, but as soon as those leagues resume play their fans will go back to being bracket fans.
    To the author's credit and in full disclosure, he did say that this particular year is a good one (from CBB's perspective) for the labor stoppages because there are supposed to be stronger teams. I still don't think it will make much of a difference
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #49969
    seekupig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To the author's credit and in full disclosure, he did say that this particular year is a good one (from CBB's perspective) for the labor stoppages because there are supposed to be stronger teams. I still don't think it will make much of a difference
    yeah, it won't matter. even if the NFL does have a work stoppage, it'll be resolved before college basketball starts. football (NFL & college) rule the ratings and with games on nearly every night i don't see college basketball getting too much of a bump because of it. i do think there will be an increased interest in early season CBB, but because of the scheduling more than anything else. notable non-conference matchups (off the top of my head)...

UNC @ Kentucky
    UNC vs. Michigan St. (Aircraft Carrier game)
    UNC @ Ohio St. (not scheduled yet, but seems likely)
    Kansas vs. Kentucky (Legends classic or whatever they're calling it)
    Duke vs. Michigan St. (same as above)
    Kansas vs. Duke (possible. both playing in Maui)

I can't remember a non-conference schedule that had that many games between all of the traditional powers of CBB. making me wish the Morris Twins had stuck around for their senior year.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #49970
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Are you referring to Ohio St. as a traditional power of CBB - or are they the exception in that group?
    Wow guys, I wasn't at this show, but just listened to your Halloween. Damn, raw AF! I bet it was incredible live, Timmys outro was bad-ass!!!! Gotta listen to the rest of this show, setlist is on point.
    Rebecca De Mornay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #49971
    seekupig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schreiber89 View Post
    Are you referring to Ohio St. as a traditional power of CBB - or are they the exception in that group?
    they are the exception. they're good and have a pretty good history, but it's hard for me to consider a football power among the historically elite CBB programs.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #49972
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He probably pays them more to stay than they would get paid in the NBA
    Wow guys, I wasn't at this show, but just listened to your Halloween. Damn, raw AF! I bet it was incredible live, Timmys outro was bad-ass!!!! Gotta listen to the rest of this show, setlist is on point.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #49973
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    they are the exception. they're good and have a pretty good history, but it's hard for me to consider a football power among the historically elite CBB programs.
    either way I cant wait to watch Sully rain hate down on the tarheels
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #49974
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Hilarious, and original.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #49975
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Hilarious, and original.
    actually if we were talking about coach Cal I'd be serious. I would imageine Roy is pretty clean actually
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #49976
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

I'll say that I think he's clean, but I don't think that any fan of any program wants the NCAA snooping around and asking questions.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #49977
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Selby is the first type of player that fits that mold that Bill Self has ever recruited. i think it's safe to say that it's his last too. We'll just chalk that up to a learning experience and move on.
    Yeah, my comment wasn't meant to be a Roy vs. Self thing, but rather a Barnes vs. Selby thing. Either way, you're probably right about Self and guys like Selby.

Quote:
    Huh? With the money ol' Roy spends on Cokes, he can't afford that.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #49978
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll say that I think he's clean, but I don't think that any fan of any program wants the NCAA snooping around and asking questions.
    indeed - I obviously feel that way too considering my location

I'm not really sure how Thad Matta does it to be honest - the basketball culture here is terrible - how does he get a Deshaun Thomas to come here from Indiana?
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #49979
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    indeed - I obviously feel that way too considering my location

I'm not really sure how Thad Matta does it to be honest - the basketball culture here is terrible - how does he get a Deshaun Thomas to come here from Indiana?
    I think that's a question that's best left pondered but not actually answered.
    Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #49980
    seekupig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, my comment wasn't meant to be a Roy vs. Self thing, but rather a Barnes vs. Selby thing. Either way, you're probably right about Self and guys like Selby.
    yeah, sometimes getting guys out of situations like that and bringing them to Lawrence where there aren't as many ways to get in trouble works out. Roy took Paul Pierce out of a similar situation and it worked out well. Self recruited Selby and it didn't. there's really no way to know how a person is going to react until it happens.

Tags
    basketball , ncaa