DC Night 1 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
cdtotten
Warehouse Woo-er

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

DC Night 1

Little late with this, but thought I would share my thoughts of both nights.

Night 1:
Beach Ball - Solid opener and was pleased to hear it live, even if it was only Dave. Sounded great and good TD.
Bartender - Always love it D&T and no different here. Tim's fills were spot on and crowd was very into it.
Slip Slidin' Away - All but Jef and Boyd and the cover sounds good. Rather catchy and was actually stuck in my head the next day.
Improv jam » Two Step - This was one of the grooviest improvs I have heard from the band in a long time. Carter's work on his acoustic kit was fantastic and I just didn't want it to end. Two step is great in the new format as well.
Snow Outside - Not my favorite AFTW tune, but sounds fine in this format. Crowd lost interest though here.
Tripping Billies - Crowd picked right back up and a great version as well.
I'll Back You Up - Knew I would hear this song one of the two nights and was very pleased. Had not heard it live yet and was very happy to catch it. Soft but sweet.
What Would You Say - No real difference from the electric version other than the flute jam from Jeff, but sounds great.
-----------------------------------
Save Me - Weird opener, but do love the song and it sounded great. Energy level wasn't high enough to really get me going though.
Seven » - Again, not the opening run I was hoping for. I don't hate Seven like some people on the boards do, but I sure as hell don't love it either. Next...
Crush - Who doesn't love Crush, but at the same time when you have mediocre start to a set like save me/seven, then a slow song like crush doesn't exactly get you going. Band sounded great on it though.
Belly Belly Nice - Great song live. Quick, energetic and got the crowd motivated again.
Proudest Monkey » Satellite - And their goes all energy. So tired of this combination over the past couple years. You hear the first couple plucks of the guitar and know you have another 12-13 minutes of nothing to do.
Drive In Drive Out - Then BAM - energy is right back into the show with DIDO, and the band nails. I find myself spending 75% of the show fixated on Carter, and of course DIDO is all carter all the time.
If Only - Again, don't hate If Only like some board members, but with a show that is struggling to get some legs, this swept out any momentum that DIDO got going... but that was soon to change.
The Song That Jane Likes - the start to the saving grace of the show. Jane was the beginning of an epic run that was only stopped by Dave's decision to ruin the encore of 50% of shows now a days with SMLAM.
So Right - Love how they reworked the song a little the past couple years. Sounded great again this year and the tempo kept building from Jane.
Dancing Nancies » - You knew something special was in the works with this 3 song run. Nancies was nothing but perfect and even Boyd was on target the whole time. The only question was if Warehouse would follow.
Warehouse » - Felt like a stop time might have made the crowd explode, but a traditional opening warehouse did follow and it was terrific. This run was saving an otherwise mediocre setlist for a great crowd.
Water into Wine - why not? can't get much better.
Pantala Naga Pampa » Rapunzel - always a classic way to finish a set and to cap off that great run. I do miss the slowed down rapunzel of the old days, but that's just me.
-----------------------------------
Good Good Time - love hearing this in the E1 slot. Good placement for me.
Shake Me Like a Monkey - This was the biggest shocker of the night for me for a couple reasons. Based on the timing (it was about 10:35 or so if I remember correctly) and the fact that we were building off an amazing run of songs, I figured they would either play 2 more songs, or finish with something much better. But closing with SMLAM is just a horrible slap in the face at any show. As soon as the opening chords played, we left. So did 1/2 the people in the crowd.

General notes:

- Crowd was SIGNIFICANTLY younger on N1 than N2. I'm talking like 15 years younger in general.
- Crowd was extremely good both nights at DC this year. Always are, but this year seemed special.
- No early entrance for WH people this year.
- Jeff seemed turned WAY down this year. I could barely hear him half the time.

N2 coming soon - although this late, no one really cares. I just like writing this cause it reminds me how much fun I had.
cdtotten is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here