The Economy - Page 209 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Prompter
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #6241
Beebz
Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Economy

Maybe this will shut Limbaugh up for a while:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...topnews&sub=AR

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #6242
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

doubt it.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #6243
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    doubt it.
    Yeah, me too.

Doubt this will come up, either:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081105864.html

Quote:
    A Republican plan to extend tax cuts for the rich would add more than $36 billion to the federal deficit next year -- and transfer the bulk of that cash into the pockets of the nation's millionaires, according to a congressional analysis released Wednesday.

New data from the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation show that households earning more than $1 million a year would reap nearly $31 billion in tax breaks under the GOP plan in 2011, for an average tax cut per household of about $100,000.
    Republicans are going to have a very, very hard time making the case that these need to be passed.
    Old 08-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #6244
    zdaddy
    Derpmandertastic

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Reading Matt Taibbi articles makes me sick about the evil stooges that we cumpuslively elect to powerful positions.
    Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #6245
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post
    Yeah, me too.

Republicans are going to have a very, very hard time making the case that these need to be passed.
    Their tax cut would be over twice what I even make in salary in a year? Boo.
    Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #6246
    dmbinchicago
    Greasy Animal

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    People read Matt Taibbi? :ugh He's a left wing nutter. And he's opposed to both parties and also corporations. So edgy.
    Obviously you don't read his work, and I knew you'd have a stupid comment like that. I don't care what you think of him personally, he makes good points and shows the hypocrisy and cynicism in Washington better than anyone else I've read. Actually, your uninformed opinion of his work is a pretty good example of how the people who run Washington are able to marginalize people who actually expose their BS.
    "I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself." - Thomas Jefferson
    Old 08-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #6247
    seekupchuck

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbinchicago View Post
    Obviously you don't read his work, and I knew you'd have a stupid comment like that. I don't care what you think of him personally, he makes good points and shows the hypocrisy and cynicism in Washington better than anyone else I've read. Actually, your uninformed opinion of his work is a pretty good example of how the people who run Washington are able to marginalize people who actually expose their BS.
    yyyyyyepp:thumbsup
    Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #6248
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    ziiiingg!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #6249
    dmbinchicago
    Greasy Animal

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Didn't mean to be so angry in my response - I really do think that if Shotgun read Taibbi's work he would enjoy it and agree with most of it. It just makes me mad when someone dismisses an issue based on their preconceived notion of the messenger. I don't care if Rush Limbaugh wrote the article - if he made the same points as Taibbi and criticized all sides equally, I would praise it just the same.

Everyone from Goldman Sachs to Bill Clinton to George Bush to Chris Dodd is responsible for this mess, and it just happens that Taibbi is one of the few people who say so without pulling punches on any individual or political party. It's a shame if that kind of honesty is seen as an attempt to be "edgy". It's what journalism should be. Plus he drops a few f-bombs and makes fun of people, as a bonus.
    "I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by dmbinchicago; 08-12-2010 at 08:26 AM.
    Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #6250
    seekupchuck

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Didn't mean to be so angry in my response - I really do think that if Shotgun read Taibbi's work he would enjoy it and agree with most of it. It just makes me mad when someone dismisses an issue based on their preconceived notion of the messenger. I don't care if Rush Limbaugh wrote the article - if he made the same points as Taibbi and criticized all sides equally, I would praise it just the same.

Everyone from Goldman Sachs to Bill Clinton to George Bush to Chris Dodd is responsible for this mess, and it just happens that Taibbi is one of the few people who say so without pulling punches on any individual or political party. It's a shame if that kind of honesty is seen as an attempt to be "edgy". It's what journalism should be. Plus he drops a few f-bombs and makes fun of people, as a bonus.
    You have to understand... to anyone that has invested so much of their identity into partisan politics and the system in general, as Shotty has, it is nearly impossible to break free to uninhibited thought.
    Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #6251
    seekupchuck

My Tour Central Stats

:lolI read my own post above and my initial reaction was.."awww, that's mean"
    Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #6252
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Surprise, surprise.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2..._share_twitter
    Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #6253
    robthomas
    Got Bernanke?

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    Well, Ford has certainly benefited greatly - though they didn't actually take any money. And GM seems to be on the right path, though we'll know more after the IPO. At this point, I'd say the Auto bailout was definitely the right thing for the economy.
    Ford isn't GM. Ford didn't need money from the gov't like GM & Chrysler b/c there were a much better run corporation. I said GM and Chrysler were companies that deserved to fail b/c they were run like shit. I never disagreed that it would have been a bad time to let them fail.

Quote:
    To the bolded - Not necessarily - this would be double counting. You can only attribute the increase to either G or I or some combo of the two

For example, say G caused I to increase by 10.
    Let's also assume the change in G caused a decrease of 4 in output in other parts of private industry due to the crowding out effect and other negative effects from increases in gov't spending.

How do I know that Taylor doesn't contribute 10 to I and -4 to G (instead of a net 6 to G and 0 to I)
    It wouldn't be double counting at all - I'm talking about regression analysis. Double counting doesn't come into play here at all. Through simple regression, the effect of G on I would be clear. There is a clear and simple difference between a dependent and independent variable.

Last edited by robthomas; 08-12-2010 at 09:32 AM.
    Old 08-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #6254
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robthomas View Post
    Ford isn't GM. Ford didn't need money from the gov't like GM & Chrysler b/c there were a much better run corporation. I said GM and Chrysler were companies that deserved to fail b/c they were run like shit. I never disagreed that it would have been a bad time to let them fail.

It wouldn't be double counting at all - I'm talking about regression analysis. Double counting doesn't come into play here at all. Through simple regression, the effect of G on I would be clear. There is a clear and simple difference between a dependent and independent variable.

To the first...so your stance is that GM and Chrysler should have been allowed to fail even though it would have further crushed our economy?

To the second, you are avoiding the question. You act like "regression" is some magical term...it's not dude. Zandi uses regressions in his model too. The result of the regression is totally dependent upon how you set up the problem. So please, just answer the question or don't respond at all.
    Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #6255
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Also - ford was not in good shape. If GM and Chrysler would have failed, there's a pretty good chance Ford would have as well.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #6256
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, me too.

Good. I like millionaires. Don't know many crackhead welfare recipients who create jobs and wealth.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #6257
    robthomas
    Got Bernanke?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To the first...so your stance is that GM and Chrysler should have been allowed to fail even though it would have further crushed our economy?
    I never said that. I said that saving the two was nothing but a postponement of the inevitable. Also, Ford was in good shape considering they weren't bankrupt and failing like the other two.

Quote:
    To the second, you are avoiding the question. You act like "regression" is some magical term...it's not dude. Zandi uses regressions in his model too. The result of the regression is totally dependent upon how you set up the problem. So please, just answer the question or don't respond at all.
    I haven't avoid any question. You said some bullshit about double counting and you are wrong, which is what i said. What are you talking about by saying that I'm acting like regression analysis is magical? I'm not doing that at all. You need to go read the paper. The Blinder and Zandi working paper is about running policies through a model and he reports what the model says will happen. IT DOES NOT LOOK AT THE ACTUAL DATA. The Blinder and Zandi paper is a theory based paper, it is not empirical. Taylor is using empirical data in his presentation to congress.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #6258
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Buffett's inflation warning
    Back in August 2009, Buffett wrote an opinion piece in the New York Times warning investors that lawmakers will be tempted to simply let the Fed print away the exploding national debt instead of making hard choices, i.e., some combination of raising taxes and reducing government spending.

In this context, Buffett's actions make perfect sense for two reasons:

Sure, the immediate risk we face is deflation, but the longer-term risk is, without a doubt, inflation. In that regard, Buffett isn't so much taking a contrarian view as he is taking the long-term view, which is exactly the perspective he has always adopted in his business and investment decision-making.

Within a system as complex as the national economy, Buffett knows that inflation doesn't pop up on appointment; the timing is completely unpredictable, and it could happen faster than the market currently anticipates.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #6259
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I never said that. I said that saving the two was nothing but a postponement of the inevitable. Also, Ford was in good shape considering they weren't bankrupt and failing like the other two.
    GM's last two quarters beg to differ. You're using theory...not looking at the empirical evidence. ;)

Quote:
    I haven't avoid any question. You said some bullshit about double counting and you are wrong, which is what i said. What are you talking about by saying that I'm acting like regression analysis is magical? I'm not doing that at all. You need to go read the paper. The Blinder and Zandi working paper is about running policies through a model and he reports what the model says will happen. IT DOES NOT LOOK AT THE ACTUAL DATA. The Blinder and Zandi paper is a theory based paper, it is not empirical. Taylor is using empirical data in his presentation to congress.
    :lol yes - he's looking at his own interpretation of data. You bought into his spin on the data. There is no data that states gov't spending had a negative impact on real GDP. That's Taylor's interpretation of actual data. And that's fine, my only question was did he account for the relationship between gov't stimulus and increased private sector investment...and you have been avoiding that question.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #6260
    robthomas
    Got Bernanke?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Back in August 2009, Buffett wrote an opinion piece in the New York Times warning investors that lawmakers will be tempted to simply let the Fed print away the exploding national debt instead of making hard choices, i.e., some combination of raising taxes and reducing government spending.

Sure, the immediate risk we face is deflation, but the longer-term risk is, without a doubt, inflation. In that regard, Buffett isn't so much taking a contrarian view as he is taking the long-term view, which is exactly the perspective he has always adopted in his business and investment decision-making.

Within a system as complex as the national economy, Buffett knows that inflation doesn't pop up on appointment; the timing is completely unpredictable, and it could happen faster than the market currently anticipates.
    You're a fan of Yahoo Finance i presume?

I agree with Buffett in the article that the guys @ Yahoo finance are referring to. Buffett is mainly saying that if congress doesn't so anything about the debt-to-GDP ratio, the country will be in bad shape. Stop spending.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #6261
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

And Ford lost almost $15B...that's Billion....in 2008. Yeah - they were in great shape.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #6262
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I agree with Buffett in the article that the guys @ Yahoo finance are referring to. Buffett is mainly saying that if congress doesn't so anything about the debt-to-GDP ratio, the country will be in bad shape. Stop spending.

Yeah - that's kind of what he's saying...over the long hall...and I agree. No one in washington has the spine to make touch choices - unfortunately.

I do like Yahoo Finance....they always seem to have the most up-to-date financial news.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #6263
    robthomas
    Got Bernanke?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    GM's last two quarters beg to differ. You're using theory...not looking at the empirical evidence. ;)
    No, i'm not using theory. Not at all. What does the last 2 quarters have to do with what happened? They were BANKRUPT. Period. It's a fact.

Quote:
    :lol yes - he's looking at his own interpretation of data. You bought into his spin on the data. There is no data that states gov't spending had a negative impact on real GDP. That's Taylor's interpretation of actual data. And that's fine, my only question was did he account for the relationship between gov't stimulus and increased private sector investment...and you have been avoiding that question.
    Man, you just don't get it. Stop wasting your time using emoticons and go read the Blinder&Zandi paper or what Taylor thinks is wrong with it: "First, I do not think the paper tells us anything about the impact of these policies. It simply runs the policies through a model (Zandi’s model) and reports what the model says would happen. It does not look at what actually happened, and it does not look at other models, only Zandi’s own model. Zandi is not using empirical data. Taylor is."

I haven't avoid any question. There is no doubt in my mind he for that. He is a leading economist. You're questioning the most simple and logical stuff. If an increase in I results in an increase in GDP, the coefficient will be positive. If an increase in G results in an increase in GDP, the coefficient will be positive. The increase of I is highly correlated to the increase in output. G shows little to no correlation. Again, if I is shown to be related to output, and G is causing I to increase, it would show up in the data and be easily detectable.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #6264
    robthomas
    Got Bernanke?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Man, you just don't get it. Stop wasting your time using emoticons and go read the Blinder&Zandi paper or what Taylor thinks is wrong with it: "First, I do not think the paper tells us anything about the impact of these policies. It simply runs the policies through a model (Zandi’s model) and reports what the model says would happen. It does not look at what actually happened, and it does not look at other models, only Zandi’s own model." Zandi is not using empirical data. Taylor is.

I haven't avoid any question. There is no doubt in my mind he accounted for that. He is a leading economist. You're questioning the most simple and logical stuff. If an increase in I results in an increase in GDP, the coefficient will be positive. If an increase in G results in an increase in GDP, the coefficient will be positive. The increase of I is highly correlated to the increase in output. G shows little to no correlation. Again, if I is shown to be related to output, and G is causing I to increase, it would show up in the data and be easily detectable.
    Fixed the quote in the top paragraph
    Old 08-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #6265
    seekupchuck

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Buffett, like Schiff dont know shit from shinola on this inflation stuff. In Bernanke we trust!

Quote:

Now you are doing what you accused me of doing with Schiff:lol
    Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #6266
    robthomas
    Got Bernanke?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupchuck View Post
    Buffett, like Schiff dont know shit from shinola on this inflation stuff. In Bernanke we trust!

Now you are doing what you accused me of doing with Schiff:lol
    Wait, what? What am i doing?
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #6267
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rea...0?pagenumber=1

Interesting.
    Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #6268
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

reagan is a god.

amirite?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #6269
    dmbfan1000
    Cause 1 - 999 were used

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fair point, but I should mention that many employers have cut overtime or made salaried workers put in more time.

Easy to say hard as fuck to prove.
    Ecclesiastes 8:15
    Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #6270
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000....html?mod=e2tw

Quote:
    Just 61% of the adult population, age 20 or over, has any kind of job right now.
    Staggering.