Why don't people travel to the DTE show in Detroit? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #31
cruscott35

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Why don't people travel to the DTE show in Detroit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
Sure it should, if it's the closest major city and you'd be travelling from out of state. When I take a trip out of Texas for a show, I'd like to do something other than the show. Sitting around in a nice suburb isn't going to cut it.

So while Mansfield isn't in Boston, and Mountain View isn't in San Francisco, I would (and have) take trips to those venues, mostly just to visit those cities.
Believe it or not, there are fun things to do in metro Detroit, and downtown is fine. People have had misconceptions of my home town my whole life, they aren't changing now.
cruscott35 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #32
    too69short

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katlynnoelle View Post

DTE is my "home" venue. But I'm about to give up on it. There are too many people at the shows just there to socialize, people talking continuously through some of the better songs, it being mid week, the so-so sets, the lack of energy (IMO, I know it all depends on where you're at and who you're by), all of it. I'll just put my money into the bigger and better two night stands.
    Well said...

Nice to meet you yesterday!
    too69short is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #33
    saxlover

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

i drove there once from Colorado. i followed the band for 2 weeks that year, so it worked out. otherwise its really hard to do a mid-week one show venue.
    Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #34
    Harrycaray

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I think a bigger question should be why dont we get a two nighter? Looking at the attendance thread, DTE always sells out. Its not a long walk from cars to venue, and its not huge inside so its quick from car to seat and vice versa. If they ever did a two nighter they would get double the money from me.

3 song Demo is now up!!! www.facebook.com/soundsandscenariosband
    Harrycaray is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #35
    MW104

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

i think all the points have been hit..

biggest factor is midweek, post alpine (typically) I think. We have a lot of friends who go to Alpine from all over the country, but we haven't been able to convince them to extend their trip to DTE-- which would really require Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday additionally off of work.

If we ever got a weekend show, even one night stand- I think there would be more "out of towners" ...that said-- sells out every time, so no need to bump out hometown crowd to a certain degree, right?

fun times last night, front and center!
    MW104 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #36
    El Bastarde

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

There are too many people at the shows just there to socialize, people talking continuously through some of the better songs,

I do think the setlists of the last two years have contributed to this. It’s not the DMB fans talking, it’s the casuals who show up because it’s the “place to be” and then drag their girlfriends who showed up to see Crash Into Me and then talk through all the slow parts and songs they don’t know. But this is a case with all DMB shows.

But the setlists for 2012 and 2013 have been filled with a lot of lesser known songs so this is likely why there’s more talking and such recently. Don’t blame the venue.

Of course, this is exactly why fans of other jambands like Phish and such rip on DMB crowds constantly. Because they’re more mainstream than the other jambands, they attract the casuals. I don’t get why they spend the ticket and then talk through 75% of the show either.

I think a bigger question should be why dont we get a two nighter?

Simply because it’s Michigan and it’s not a “marquee” location. I can’t think of ANY band outside of Kid Rock and Bob Segar (local Michigan guys) who have done any multi-night shows here. I’m racking my brain for it. It just doesn’t happen.

Heck, with some of these types of jambands (Phish, SCI, Bisco) we can't even get ONE show here. Heck, Phish just came to Pine Knob for the very first time in 2010 after being around for 25 years. Makes no sense to me.

Or maybe it's just the DTE curfew...I hate it and the fans hate it and it's possible the bands hate it too. Why waste more than one night at a venue whose own policy stabs itself in the foot?

Last edited by El Bastarde; 07-10-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    El Bastarde is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #37
    bowa1978

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I've lived in the Detroit area my whole life and never missed a DMB show at DTE, that being said I haven't really enjoyed these like the other venues I've been to across the country. Seems like the crowd and band just does not have the same energy here.
    That being said the two shows at Comerica Park in 2001 were a couple of the best I've seen so I can't blame in on the band not liking Detroit or the crowds from the area suck. Comerica was two nights of awesome setlists, performance, crowd, etc.....
    bowa1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #38
    42km
    Drive In : Dive Out

Shows Seen: 141

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I drove in for the DTE show from Toronto this year. My first visit to the DTE venue, which wont be my last. While it is always tough to fit in a midweek show that is of some driving distance the DTE venue is a special one. Nice lot (with a strip of trees/shade, and a very stylish well maintained concession area around the venue. Fans were very well behaved. Very under-rated venue. In some respects better than SPAC and Blossom. What is clear to me however is that Clarkston Michigan is not Detroit.

Europe 2024: Milan, Florence
    Summer 2024: Alpine x 2, SPAC x 2, Gorge x 3
    42km is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #39
    asamouel

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by El Bastarde View Post

I think a bigger question should be why dont we get a two nighter?

Simply because it’s Michigan and it’s not a “marquee” location. I can’t think of ANY band outside of Kid Rock and Bob Segar (local Michigan guys) who have done any multi-night shows here. I’m racking my brain for it. It just doesn’t happen.

Heck, with some of these types of jambands (Phish, SCI, Bisco) we can't even get ONE show here. Heck, Phish just came to Pine Knob for the very first time in 2010 after being around for 25 years. Makes no sense to me.

Or maybe it's just the DTE curfew...I hate it and the fans hate it and it's possible the bands hate it too. Why waste more than one night at a venue whose own policy stabs itself in the foot?
    The only other big band I've seen at DTE with a two nighter was Pearl Jam and that was ten years ago. I don't think we'll see them do that again.
    asamouel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #40
    tmvillemure

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katlynnoelle View Post

DTE is my "home" venue. But I'm about to give up on it. There are too many people at the shows just there to socialize, people talking continuously through some of the better songs, it being mid week, the so-so sets, the lack of energy (IMO, I know it all depends on where you're at and who you're by), all of it. I'll just put my money into the bigger and better two night stands.
    Agreed - it's my home venue too. I am generally sitting by people that have no clue of the songs unless it's Crush or Crash, maybe Ants. They talk, sit and don't dance. IMO the Pavilion crowd (not counting pit) is often lame with WH and DMB family fans sprinkled through out. Lawn seems energetic but I don't sit there because I prefer not to. However, I still go religiously.
    tmvillemure is offline   Reply With Quote