Carter Beauford - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #31
saxman1083
Carter is my God

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Carter Beauford

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushianSyrinx View Post
It's not the sticks, it's the nearly bulletproof head material used on marching snares. However, in ancient rudimental drumming, I'm playing on calfskin heads which have little rebound. So they're two completely different idioms, and I think that's really helped my drumming.

Bounce, also, should be used as a tool, not a dependency. The stick wants to bounce, so learn to use it. Work with the bounce as part of your playing and you, too, shall see the ways of stick saving :-p
My sticks get most of their wear from being chopped up by cymbals...and really, I don't see a way of getting around that.
MY SPACE
Pics from Randall's N2
Vids of me drumming
saxman1083 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #32
    Bohrman26

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBVIP View Post
    What makes you think that Chambers is Carters Idol? I think Carter B is older than Dennis... Anyway thanks for the info on the rack Im going to check the picks out now! Wonder why he didnt use the hex rack (new rack) I have heard that the band has a "B Setup" witch is like identical setup that they would normally use. This is done so if the band is for ex) in Flordia and the next day has a show at the George the trucks cant possibly make it in time. So, they fly the "B setup" to it location and meet up with the "A setup" later. Maybe the "old rack" was part of the B setup...
    Carter has said that Dennis is a huge influence on him and one of his idol's. I want to say that is in his DVD, but don't hold me to that.
    Bohrman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #33
    Character Zer0
    Phish '09 Reunion?

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Alright, anybody know how to explain to some ignorant friends that Carter Beauford is one of the best drummers in the world. I was trying to explain it them in my words why I thought he was but I'm not a drummer and it's hard to explain why I think he's so good. My friends were trying to tell me he's not even the top 25 for current drummers.

I almost shat myself.

"Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die."
    Character Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #34
    Bohrman26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Character Zer0 View Post
    Alright, anybody know how to explain to some ignorant friends that Carter Beauford is one of the best drummers in the world. I was trying to explain it them in my words why I thought he was but I'm not a drummer and it's hard to explain why I think he's so good. My friends were trying to tell me he's not even the top 25 for current drummers.

I almost shat myself.
    Show your friends this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfiPYNd0BzY

Then ask if any of them can do it. If they are still saying he's not that great then they are idiots.

If none of them are drummers then it's kind of hard to explain really. His whole style is so unique. The way he uses (or use to) his hats and the interplay he does (or used to do) between his ride cymbal and hi hats is pretty incredible. All the while he's doing that he's doing incredible double bass beats. I don't know, I'm even a drummer and I'm bad at explaining this. Just watch that video.
    Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #35
    Bohrman26

My Tour Central Stats

Gave you a wrong link. My bad. Watch this instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuwst...eature=related

Forgot to add this. One of my favorite things about him is what he does during songs. He can do so much during songs and not lose timing or take away from the song. He adds great little touches here and there that most drummers only do during a big drum solo. He hardly ever does solos. He actually has said that he doesn't like to solo. So, to me most drummers in bands just keep the beat (not all bands, I know) but Carter does this and SOOOO much more.
    Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #36
    Bohrman26

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry for the trip post.

Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lDf6...eature=related
    Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #37
    RushianSyrinx

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saxman1083 View Post
    My sticks get most of their wear from being chopped up by cymbals...and really, I don't see a way of getting around that.
    Don't hit the edges, and you don't need to hit them hard. Glancing blows that put more of the stick on the cymbal rather than the edge.
    Mystic rhythms -- under northern lights
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    RushianSyrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #38
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

Where'd you see pictures of Hershey or Rothbury?
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    Old 07-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #39
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Hershey on the DMB Road Page pics, and Rothbury from the webcast. That makes total sense about them having a "B" setup....never thought about that.

And about Carter idolizing Dennis, I've read it in interviews and I'm pretty sure Justin (aka Beaufordbuddy) could tell you more about that.
    Old 07-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #40
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

[quote=1adamsara0507;7878479]Hershey on the DMB Road Page pics, and Rothbury from the webcast. That makes total sense about them having a "B" setup....never thought about that.

And about Carter idolizing Dennis, I've read it in interviews and I'm pretty sure Justin (aka Beaufordbuddy) could tell you more about that.[/quote

Either way im sure that Carter & Dennis both have some type of influence on each other. They are both great drummers however I would say that Carter is still the man...
    Old 07-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #41
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Carter is about a year and a half older than Dennis. Besides, who says that the inspirational figures in your life have to be older than you?

Carter has mentioned several time that Dennis has been a big inspiration of his. He even discussed Dennis on his instructional video and how he picked up the timpani crossover on the cymbals from Dennis.

I'm convinced that the rack tom to his left is just a makeshift table. I've yet to see him play it. I have, however, seen him place his So Damn Lucky sheet music on it. So like I say, nice expensive little table there.

Carter's kit has evolved and changed this tour more than any other tour in the past. His kit even changes show to show. Yes, some performances he'll have the A Custom EFX crash then other times he won't. I've also noticed that sometimes he won't include other elements of his kit like the agogo bells or trigger pad below his percussion tree. Who knows why it's done, it just is. I think it's more of Henry's doing than Carter. During the recent Mile High webcast I even saw Henry setup a Hart Dynamics triggered drum pad just so he could add the conga effect during Old Dirt Hill. It was removed afterwards. I've learned quick that there is no exact science or method to the madness when it comes to Carter's kit. We just need to realize that he is a professional musician and as such his tastes and interests will change. He might want to experiment with his sound at times and change things up just to see what happens. As Carter fans we just need to join him for the ride.
    BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #42
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

Carter has been using a triggered sample during ODH this tour.

And nothing wrong with expensive tables either...
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #43
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

Well anytime he uses the conga effect during ODH it's a triggered sample.
    Old 07-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #44
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

Let me rephrase. I believe in 05, he played the Conga sample with a pad above his hats (or at least on the left side of the kick).

The sample I've heard this tour was more of the "snap/clap" one, which was triggered by a pad above his right knee (possibly mounted on the BD).

I distinctly remember Carter playing a pattern in 05 that differed from this tour.
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    Old 07-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #45
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

I can't recall the patterns he usually plays.

Whatever sound was produced didn't depend on that device he was hitting. Any sample voice can be assigned to any of the triggered pads on his kit.

He still has the electronic drum pad above his right knee, it's a Hart Dynamics Acupad. It's mounted to a boom arm which attaches to his rack. He uses this to add the reverb snare effect during YMDT.

When the band use to play Time of the Season he would strike the Hammer Accessory triggered pad below his percussion tree to add the clap effect. There have been shows this tour where that triggered pad hasn't been present.
    Old 07-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #46
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

Oh I'm familiar with electronic percussion and sampling. I incorporate it into my set.

However, on the ODH topic...
    Never mind.
    I'm an idiot and totally had a brainfart.
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #47
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

I've been seeing him use that 13" tom to his left a lot. He used it on Piedmont dvd quite a bit. It was hard to hear it bc of the mix, but he hit it a lot. Westpoint webcast he used it a lot too.

But, it IS also a very expensive table as well as Justin said
    Old 07-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #48
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

You're right. Thinking back he did use it a bit on the Piedmont DVD. But like you said it was virtually inaudible.

I don't like Carter's mix on the Piedmont release whatsoever. Especially his snare. Sounds like crap.
    Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #49
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeaufordBuddy View Post
    You're right. Thinking back he did use it a bit on the Piedmont DVD. But like you said it was virtually inaudible.

I don't like Carter's mix on the Piedmont release whatsoever. Especially his snare. Sounds like crap.

I agree, after watching that DVD I was very dissapointed with the mix they gave Carter. They removed Carters vocal track in some sections also I noticed, there are a couple times where the camera is on Carter and he is doing his "back up" thing during Warehouse and you can cleary see his mouth moving but no audio.... Maybe the worst DVD for Carter fans yet...
    Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #50
    werkinsnake
    SAX-O-MO-PHOOOONE!

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBVIP View Post
    I agree, after watching that DVD I was very dissapointed with the mix they gave Carter. They removed Carters vocal track in some sections also I noticed, there are a couple times where the camera is on Carter and he is doing his "back up" thing during Warehouse and you can cleary see his mouth moving but no audio.... Maybe the worst DVD for Carter fans yet...
    Yeah, all valid points, but I assure you that that DVD was even more disheartening for Roi and Rashawn fans.

BTW, while I'm in this thread, what is the deal with Carter's bent crash cymbols? I'm not a drummer, but I do browse through drumming equipment from time to time. I've never seen anything like that bent cymbol before.
    werkinsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #51
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

That bent cymbal is the Zildjian Trashformer. It's no longer on his kit but when it was it was the only warped cymbal in his arrangement. It was actually a cheaper entry level budget cymbal made for Zildjian's ZXT line. It was intentionally bent during the casting process of manufacturing the cymbal to give it unique and different tonal characteristics. It's meant to be used as an effects cymbal to give a quick and explosive trashy sound.
    Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #52
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

I've never heard of a cymbol... but I do know of cymbals.
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    Old 07-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #53
    werkinsnake
    SAX-O-MO-PHOOOONE!

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

^That'll teach me not to use spellcheck.

Thanks BB. I remember catching DMB on Conan O'Brian back in 02, and that was the first video in which I saw that Trashformer cymbal. At first I thought that someone ran over the cymbal with a truck, but it would probably snap rather than bend.

Hey, wasn't Dave Weckl another one of Carter's influences?
    werkinsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #54
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

You could never hear the trashformer when he hit it. The only time I even heard it was on the 12.14.02 tape during Bartender on Butch's solo.

I have the trashformer and it is a nifty little cymbal for being such a low budget cymbal. Gives a nice, trashy little effect. Sounds about like the mini china he's using.
    Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #55
    devilandthelord
    WFT

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Carter is the man.
    Suprisingly much smaller in person than you'd think he was, given his great prowess and presence.

He's short, probably like 5'7".
    I'm only like 5'9" or 5'10" and I was much taller than him.
    devilandthelord is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #56
    devilandthelord
    WFT

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I was just looking at Carter's profile on wikipedia and it says his youngest son's name is Marcus Carrington Beauford.

How badass of a name is that?
    devilandthelord is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #57
    mikepalmer2005
    Mike

My Tour Central Stats

....and Carter looked out upon the multitudes and spoke, "Thou shalt have beats to kick it to."

Author Forgotten

6-1-05, 5-30-06, 6-7-08, 6-17-09, Farm Aid 10-4-2009, 6-16-2010, 7-11-2012, 7-10-13, 7-5-14
    mikepalmer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #58
    mikepalmer2005
    Mike

My Tour Central Stats

i wish i could remember where i saw that line. there were all kinds of "carter is a god" bible quotes.

6-1-05, 5-30-06, 6-7-08, 6-17-09, Farm Aid 10-4-2009, 6-16-2010, 7-11-2012, 7-10-13, 7-5-14
    mikepalmer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #59
    Kyvek

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

So, can anyone give some insight into gripping the sticks? I have a drummer friend (loves Neil Pert...loser ), and he is always complaining about my/Carter's grip on the stick. He says we aren't supposed to hold the stick like it's a hammer, and you're supposed to tilt your hand differently:
    http://www.drums-and-drum-sets.com/d...tched-grip.php

Any insight? I've already developed carpel tunnel syndrome from playing guitar/bass for years, so I figured I'm fcuked anyway I do it haha.
    Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #60
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

Tell him to say that same thing to principal percussionist of the New York Philharmonic. The french grip, while not widely used on drumset, is used mainly for tympani work. However, there is nothing written that says it can't or shouldn't be used for drumset.
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone