Stefan's Twitter - Page 111 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #3301
twostepr41

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Stefan's Twitter

Its frustrating. If you went to shows back in the late 90s and early 2000s you know how good it used to be. Then you go now and KevinTH nailed it, it is a "wall of sound" coming at you. Sure there are good moments, but even the jams on Crush, Jimi, Seek Up and such are either the same every time or they're just an unbearable assault on your eardrums. I've started following Panic more than DMB now for that reason. I have reams of old live bootleg CDs but I have nothing new on my devices and I skip almost every DMB song that Amazon or Pandora puts in my mix nowadays. I haven't downloaded a show in years and all my good stuff on CD is scratched and probably wouldn't transfer. Sure would like to have 9.4.00 or 7.25.01 on a device to jam to.

Last edited by twostepr41; 06-28-2016 at 07:35 AM.
twostepr41 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #3302
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    it's over folks
    When Chad starts cutting down on the data and downloads I'm definitely out Or even worse, he doesn't purchase any new vinyl releases. That will be a chilling day.

But seriously, if it weren't for them already taking a break next year, I can't see myself catching a show after this year. If they DO come out with a new album i wold definitely check it out, but wouldn't have much desire to see it live. I used to be excited to hear new album songs live, yes, even Stand Up. But the way Big Whiskey came across live changed that. Also The lack of Boyd on the Away From the World tunes, even though he was all over that album, added to that.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #3303
    twostepr41

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I actually liked Big Whiskey. Away From the World can stay Away From My Ears.
    twostepr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #3304
    emp88

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever mentioned to Dave or Stefan about the mix being too loud with Carter and Tim...I do agree it's a bit much and not as balanced as it could be. Also the tempo of songs are so much faster than they used to be. Hmm. I guess they like it if they're continuing to do it, but perhaps they're not aware of how loud Tim & Carter are compared to Boyd etc. Or maybe it's the sound techs' fault.
    Old 06-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #3305
    emp88

My Tour Central Stats

I think AFTW is a great album, has that lillywhite sound ...many haunting songs and love how the songs weave in and out. Sure, a couple songs are kinda corny but that's been going on for a while (i.e. steady as we go, etc etc) I think if any song is elevator-y sounding, it's #34. Yup.
    Old 06-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #3306
    jerseyhitman12

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I know it's a popular joke around here to say, "this band is f*cked", but the more I listen to recent shows the more I think we're pretty close to that. I listened to some tunes from Camden N1 on my way into work today and what a joke. Sounded terrible. Is Boyd Tinsley still in the band? Or is he just in place to play a solo or two? Even Jeff sounded low in the mix at points too. I'm just so tired of listening to tapes straining my ear to hear if Boyd is playing, and I'm REALLY tired of Rashawn Ross and the horn duel BS. I saw Fool to Think pop up on the set the other night and said to myself, "I guarantee you can't hear Boyd at all", and what do you know? I was right! Don't get me started on Carter. That guy has lost all sense of dynamics (same as the rest of the band) and just sounds like Animal from The Muppets - SMASH! SMASH! SMASH! No Boyd and nothing but a wall of sound = a band that has truly lost it's way.

I was so stoked when I heard the first few shows of the tour. The band sounded awesome. Boyd was up in the mix and absolutely killing it. That solo Boyd did at the end of the Break Free liberation was mint. That only lasted one show and disappeared...I can't even believe I'm saying it, but I'm not even really that psyched for The Gorge anymore, and it's been my dream for almost 15 years. First trip to The Gorge and I'm not even that excited. It'll be a great time because of the people I'll be with and I'm sure we'll meet a bunch of people. I'm sure I'll be dancing and singing my ass off, but it'll mainly be out of nostalgia, and not because I think they sound great. I'll be taking a break along with the band next year for sure. It's time to start listening to them less.
    Completely agree here. I was at Camden N1 and enjoyed it tremendously while in the moment. I spent my weekend on a post-show DMB high. Grabbed the tape to listen to on the commute to and from work yesterday and was really disappointed. I always understood the "wall of sound" argument, but it hit me hard here. You couldn't hear Dave's guitar at all and of course Boyd was nowhere to be found. Plus the show kind of sounded uninspired.

I too am normally very positive and do not get caught up in the setlist/band bashing. But, upon a closer listen to this show yesterday, I even cringed. Literally turned it off because it just didn't sound good.

Some of that may have to do with the tape. I don't mean this as a knock on the taper. I thought I read in another thread the tapers had to keep mic stands at shoulder level and security was giving them a hard time.
    jerseyhitman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #3307
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Carter has no sense of dynamics? Give me a break.
    Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #3308
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

am i the only one that had a hard time hearing Dave singing at the show?
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #3309
    jerseyhitman12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    am i the only one that had a hard time hearing Dave singing at the show?
    Same here. I thought Dave's vocals and guitar were low in the mix all night. Another thing I noticed when listening to the tape.
    Old 06-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #3310
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerseyhitman12 View Post
    Completely agree here. I was at Camden N1 and enjoyed it tremendously while in the moment. I spent my weekend on a post-show DMB high. Grabbed the tape to listen to on the commute to and from work yesterday and was really disappointed. I always understood the "wall of sound" argument, but it hit me hard here. You couldn't hear Dave's guitar at all and of course Boyd was nowhere to be found. Plus the show kind of sounded uninspired.

I too am normally very positive and do not get caught up in the setlist/band bashing. But, upon a closer listen to this show yesterday, I even cringed. Literally turned it off because it just didn't sound good.

Some of that may have to do with the tape. I don't mean this as a knock on the taper. I thought I read in another thread the tapers had to keep mic stands at shoulder level and security was giving them a hard time.
    There were some tapes at the beginning of the year that were pretty solid, and then Boyd just completely disappeared by the time they hit Riverbend. I've heard the argument that it could be the tape, or that it's hard to mix violin and Tim etc., but I'll tell you that in 2008 and 2009 this was not a problem at all. It's not the tapes, it's the live mix. Boyd is just not turned up very loud, if at all. I just don't get why this is still an issue. The guy has been playing perfectly fine. Example would be LT 29. Couldn't hear Boyd very well on the tape, so maybe he wasn't playing well right? Nope, he sounded really good on the Live Trax. His solo on Belly Belly Nice was awesome, but can't hear it on the tape. I just wait for Live Trax releases or the Summer Warm Up videos at this point. Too bad they can't mix them like that in the live setting. LT 36 sounded perfect.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #3311
    excitingjae

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

how many threads end up talking about this current tour regardless of the subject?
    Old 06-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #3312
    emp88

My Tour Central Stats

pretty much all of them, ha
    Old 06-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #3313
    RushianSyrinx

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Carter has no sense of dynamics? Give me a break.

Compare 2000 Carter to 2016 Carter. There's no match. Old Carter was a finesse machine that played with dynamics and a much greater since of musicality than the current AHHH!-double-bass-must-smash-China Carter.

He's not the same player he was even ten years ago and that's not a good thing.

Carter with Butch is better than Carter with Tim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mystic rhythms -- under northern lights
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    RushianSyrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #3314
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

No wall of sound for me at the show...the Pelham and Atlanta shows were fantastic sound wise. Pelham really incredible show.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #3315
    TimHonks

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Just to be clear, you are complaining because the free recording of the show you enjoyed while attending doesn't sound good?

Last edited by TimHonks; 06-28-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #3316
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post
    Just to be clear, you are complaining because the free recording of the show you enjoyed while attending doesn't sound good?
    I think he's more complaining about the mix, not anything the taper has control of.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #3317
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just to be clear, he's commenting on the quality of the performance, not the effort that went into recording the sound.
    Old 06-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #3318
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There were some tapes at the beginning of the year that were pretty solid, and then Boyd just completely disappeared by the time they hit Riverbend. I've heard the argument that it could be the tape, or that it's hard to mix violin and Tim etc., but I'll tell you that in 2008 and 2009 this was not a problem at all. It's not the tapes, it's the live mix. Boyd is just not turned up very loud, if at all. I just don't get why this is still an issue. The guy has been playing perfectly fine. Example would be LT 29. Couldn't hear Boyd very well on the tape, so maybe he wasn't playing well right? Nope, he sounded really good on the Live Trax. His solo on Belly Belly Nice was awesome, but can't hear it on the tape. I just wait for Live Trax releases or the Summer Warm Up videos at this point. Too bad they can't mix them like that in the live setting. LT 36 sounded perfect.
    You really can't judge the mix of a tape at shows you didn't go to and make blanket assumptions like this. Wait until you go to the Gorge, then make a review.

Tapes can be misleading due to many factors. As can official live releases. They sometimes don't capture the energy or the moment at the show. Official live releases can be mixed poorly or perfect based on whoever is mixing it. Doesn't mean the show sounded anything like that in terms of mix. But mix makes a ton of difference, hence standing in the back of the lawn vs. being up close. You get better tones, better overall quality of the instruments, and the mix the guys at the board are hearing. It always changes the show for me when I can get up close.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #3319
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

So if you enjoyed the show while you were there, what's the problem? I've had plenty of times where I got the tape after a stellar show, and it just didn't bring it back or capture the moment. Live in the moment man! If you thought the show was awesome while you were there, remember that! Don't go home and change your mind based on the recording.

Not a knock on any tapers. It's incredibly awesome to have any recording of any show for free. It's just human nature that the picture or recording doesn't do being there in the flesh justice.
    Old 06-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #3320
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Just listened to some bits and pieces of Camden N1 recording. It's obvious some of the louder parts were just a bit oversaturated on the tape. It happens... Still sounds good for a free recording.
    Old 06-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #3321
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    You really can't judge the mix of a tape at shows you didn't go to and make blanket assumptions like this. Wait until you go to the Gorge, then make a review.

Tapes can be misleading due to many factors. As can official live releases. They sometimes don't capture the energy or the moment at the show. Official live releases can be mixed poorly or perfect based on whoever is mixing it. Doesn't mean the show sounded anything like that in terms of mix. But mix makes a ton of difference, hence standing in the back of the lawn vs. being up close. You get better tones, better overall quality of the instruments, and the mix the guys at the board are hearing. It always changes the show for me when I can get up close.
    I've been to three shows in the past 10 days. Boyd is completely inaudible unless he is soloing. That's why it sounds that way on the tapes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
    barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #3322
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
    I've been to three shows in the past 10 days. Boyd is completely inaudible unless he is soloing. That's why it sounds that way on the tapes.
    Boyd is not playing unless he's soloing. That's why you don't hear him. That's how that works.
    Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #3323
    jerseyhitman12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, I'm not complaining about the free recording at all. Of course, I appreciate we have access to those.

I just meant when I listen the show more closely on the tape, I could really hear how different their style of play is these days. More of a comment on the band's style vs. the tape itself.
    Old 06-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #3324
    greenpick41
    No BS in the Studio

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Clicked thread to read about Stefans Twitter and was quickly disappointed.
    greenpick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #3325
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenpick41 View Post
    Clicked thread to read about Stefans Twitter and was quickly disappointed.
    agreed78

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #3326
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Aaaaand that's why this thread is usually closed.

Someone let me know when Stefan actually tweets something noteworth and I'll reopen it.
    Old 06-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #3327
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Babies in pit?
    Old 06-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #3328
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I'm glad he said that.
    Considering stopping after my #100 show. Should I?
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #3329
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    I'm glad he said that.
    me too. Good for Fonzie.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
    barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-01-2016, 02:18 AM   #3330
    dontburnthe_pig
    ja-nee

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know it's a popular joke around here to say, "this band is f*cked", but the more I listen to recent shows the more I think we're pretty close to that. I listened to some tunes from Camden N1 on my way into work today and what a joke. Sounded terrible. Is Boyd Tinsley still in the band? Or is he just in place to play a solo or two? Even Jeff sounded low in the mix at points too. I'm just so tired of listening to tapes straining my ear to hear if Boyd is playing, and I'm REALLY tired of Rashawn Ross and the horn duel BS. I saw Fool to Think pop up on the set the other night and said to myself, "I guarantee you can't hear Boyd at all", and what do you know? I was right! Don't get me started on Carter. That guy has lost all sense of dynamics (same as the rest of the band) and just sounds like Animal from The Muppets - SMASH! SMASH! SMASH! No Boyd and nothing but a wall of sound = a band that has truly lost it's way.

I was so stoked when I heard the first few shows of the tour. The band sounded awesome. Boyd was up in the mix and absolutely killing it. That solo Boyd did at the end of the Break Free liberation was mint. That only lasted one show and disappeared...I can't even believe I'm saying it, but I'm not even really that psyched for The Gorge anymore, and it's been my dream for almost 15 years. First trip to The Gorge and I'm not even that excited. It'll be a great time because of the people I'll be with and I'm sure we'll meet a bunch of people. I'm sure I'll be dancing and singing my ass off, but it'll mainly be out of nostalgia, and not because I think they sound great. I'll be taking a break along with the band next year for sure. It's time to start listening to them less.
    Right on the money

I think the differences you highlight are illustrated by recent performances of 'The Last Stop'. In these versions, there is hardly any of the musical nuance and subtlety that song - and especially the jam/outro - embodies. Listen to the Chicago LS and any version of the song after 2010- both make use of Tim, but in vastly different ways. That take from 98 is layered and cohesive, whereas recent versions are just explosions of sound and Carter's double-bass.
    dontburnthe_pig is offline   Reply With Quote