***Official Ants Photography Thread*** - Page 128 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #3811
dmbetc
Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Ants Photography Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
If you're going to shoot right on the glass, get a rubber lens hood or make your own cardboard one.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...y-moments.html

"Another dilemma of shooting through the glass is that as you angle the camera, you get a lot of flare from reflections. To minimize this, I use a rubber screw-on lens hood. Professional hockey shooters often build specialized lens hoods from gaffer tape and cardboard. The idea is to "seal" the lens up against the glass, so that as you angle yourself, there is less light bouncing off the glass and into your lens."

More good info:

http://www.lenskirt.com/
http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=35609
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1052429
Awesome stuff!! Thanks Benny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
Go Kings Go.
dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #3812
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Here are the majority of my Africa photos. Locations: Rural Kenyan Villages, Masai Mara, Zanzibar (in that order really). Shot on a Canon SL1, 50mm f/1.4, 55-250mm STM, and 15-85mm. As I noted a couple months ago, an SD card failed me and lost all my images when I got to hang out with a cheetah, white lion, and lemurs in Zanzibar. I'm still super pissed and sad. (http://www.cheetahsrock.org/)

Technical:
    Overall, I had trouble focusing on some shots (soccer most notably) as I was playing around with lower apertures (<= f/2) and wasn't paying attention to shutter speed like an idiot (got caught up actually playing with the kids). I should have been around f/2.8-3.5 with the 50mm on most my shots, but was getting greedy trying to keep the ISO low. It also caused some issues on portraits. I was really disappointed how soft and dreamy the 50mm is at f/1.4-1.8 (plus, the CA is awful even with corrections). Live and learn though. The sl1 had a bit of trouble with noise/stopping action with ISO 400+ and shutter speeds above 1/1000th which was disappointing once I looked at the photos each night. I would have loved an extra 50-200mm of length when on safari as the 55-250mm was a bit short for the cheetahs and tight head-shots in general.

The one thing I didn't anticipate was how fast life moves, not only wild life, but people and moments. I normally shoot on aperture priority and got caught a couple times with unfavorable shutter speeds and aperatures for my situations. Definitely made me more conscious for my next international trip. Also, I removed most of the photos with me and my fiance for privacy sake.

Anyways, I would love suggestions on edits or techniques. My editing is Lightroom tends to be minimal, as I enjoy natural reproduction in my images (though i did play around with selective color). If you have any cultural questions on a specific image, just ask and reference the image number

Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...00&usp=sharing
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #3813
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I only got to flip through a few of them real quick John but they look great. Noticed right off the bat that many of them could be cleaned up a bit with some more lightroom work (shadows and straight horizons). I know that's the last thing I want to do when I sit down to a big batch of photos though so totally understand. I actually liked some of the too slow shutter speed soccer shots. It showed the movement and made them feel frenetic which I imagine was real. A couple just flat missed focus but the I dug the others for sure.

Really good choice moments and composition with great subjects. Can't wait to look through them all, thanks for sharing them!

EDIT: Oh, if you didn't trash can the noisey ones you mentioned already, there are a couple really good denoise apps/plugins available cheap these days!

Last edited by diableri; 04-22-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #3814
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    I only got to flip through a few of them real quick John but they look great. Noticed right off the bat that many of them could be cleaned up a bit with some more lightroom work (shadows and straight horizons). I know that's the last thing I want to do when I sit down to a big batch of photos though so totally understand. I actually liked some of the too slow shutter speed soccer shots. It showed the movement and made them feel frenetic which I imagine was real. A couple just flat missed focus but the I dug the others for sure.

Really good choice moments and composition with great subjects. Can't wait to look through them all, thanks for sharing them!

EDIT: Oh, if you didn't trash can the noisey ones you mentioned already, there are a couple really good denoise apps/plugins available cheap these days!
    definitely admit to missing focus on some, wasn't sure if i should be focusing on the ball or human let me know which ones you think need lifted shadows and straightening. i kept shadow reduction to a minimum (15-40) on the slider typically because that obviously introduces noise. these all have been lifted and straightened so i can add a bit more if need be.
    Old 04-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #3815
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I'll send you an email John.

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #3816
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks, ed
    Old 04-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #3817
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

So, can we bring cameras into shows? I've seen a few of you guys post concert photos.. Just wondering if I should bring it into cville.

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 04-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #3818
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Well I guess I answered my own question: "No Audio, No Video, No Pro-Lens Cameras, No SLR Digital (Detachable Lens), No I-Pads or similar devices. Point and Shoot Cameras will be allowed."

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 04-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #3819
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
    Well I guess I answered my own question: "No Audio, No Video, No Pro-Lens Cameras, No SLR Digital (Detachable Lens), No I-Pads or similar devices. Point and Shoot Cameras will be allowed."
    and they are really useless unless you're in the pit.
    Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #3820
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I've attempted to bring a DSLR into a concert one time and got denied. And it's not even a huge/professional one. Won't ever try again.
    mthawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #3821
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So, can we bring cameras into shows? I've seen a few of you guys post concert photos.. Just wondering if I should bring it into cville.
    I bring this:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/...ujifilm_x100s/

It's a fixed lens (no zoom), so I'm not getting close up shots, but the image quality is great for the overall feel of the show due to the DSLR-sized image sensor and high quality lens. Since it's a fixed lens security lets it in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/benckp...57657399025974

https://www.flickr.com/photos/benckp...posted-public/
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #3822
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks guys. I was thinking of brining my 50mm lens since it's not zoom but I feel they will still turn it away and it won't be worth it!

Benny, your shots are always too notch!

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 04-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #3823
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks guys. I was thinking of brining my 50mm lens since it's not zoom but I feel they will still turn it away and it won't be worth it!

Benny, your shots are always too notch!
    they will turn it away, it's interchangeable
    Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #3824
    mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    Anyways, I would love suggestions on edits or techniques. My editing is Lightroom tends to be minimal, as I enjoy natural reproduction in my images (though i did play around with selective color). If you have any cultural questions on a specific image, just ask and reference the image number

Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...00&usp=sharing
    I've got a couple thoughts on your image set if you're still interested in feedback.

First thing, the most important thing, and the most difficult thing as a photographer is the EDIT. Not what you do to the files in Lightroom, but which files you select and choose to show. This is something I'm still very much working on improving myself.

Consider your viewer, and what their reaction is going to be to an image set. They didn't go with you on your trip. They have no emotion tied to your imagery until they see it. So when they click a link and see 500 images, it's highly likely their eyes are going to glaze over. Have you ever clicked through 500 photos that weren't your own?

All this is to say, choose the absolute best from your trip, and show only those. I'd literally distill it down to 20 images. If you do that, and people start poking you to see more because what they've seen is so great, then show them some expanded galleries. This puts your absolute best foot forward and ensures your viewer will actually see what you put in front of them.

Second, when shooting children, get down on their level to shoot them. Your backgrounds will change completely from mostly boring ground to interesting environments. Once you're lower, you'll have to be more careful about your composition, but it will make the viewer more connected to the subject.

Favorites: 5847, 6496, 7746

Anyway, nice work. It looks like you had a wonderful trip!

Last edited by mattyande; 05-06-2016 at 09:49 AM.
    mattyande is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #3825
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Hey guys! I just got back from my trip home and took a few pictures while there. Some I like better than others, I still need a lot of practice. I would appreciate any feedback though!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskAhcMQY

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 05-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #3826
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Those are great photos! Love the framing of the swing/bench overlooking the water.
    Old 05-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #3827
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey guys! I just got back from my trip home and took a few pictures while there. Some I like better than others, I still need a lot of practice. I would appreciate any feedback though!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskAhcMQY
    only recommendation would be to punch up those skies in lightroom
    Old 05-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #3828
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I'm looking for a new tripod to replace mine. Something lightweight, easily portable, but something that can get pretty tall for filming purposes, as well. Sturdy is a plus, I'd like one that will last. I've had the same one since 1996, so I'm looking for an upgrade. Any suggestions?

I'll be putting my Sony Cybershot HX90V on it - I use that for video and photo, but it's a point and shoot so pretty lightweight.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #3829
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I'm looking for a new tripod to replace mine. Something lightweight, easily portable, but something that can get pretty tall for filming purposes, as well. Sturdy is a plus, I'd like one that will last. I've had the same one since 1996, so I'm looking for an upgrade. Any suggestions?

I'll be putting my Sony Cybershot HX90V on it - I use that for video and photo, but it's a point and shoot so pretty lightweight.
    What is your budget? How light is light enough? How tall is tall enough? Lightweight, sturdy, and tall are all things that add up to being expensive.
    Old 05-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #3830
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    What is your budget? How light is light enough? How tall is tall enough? Lightweight, sturdy, and tall are all things that add up to being expensive.
    I dunno what prices they run, haven't looked at them in years.

Light, probably easy enough to carry long distances. Tall, I would say at least able to go up to 4 feet tall.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #3831
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i picked up a Manfrotto for Africa: http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MKCO...rch_detailpage

serves me well as an inexpensive tripod. My camera has a level in it, so no need for my tripod to have one too. it lacks a bit on the study side, but for a 6.5lbs rating it's fine.
    Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #3832
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

I'm pretty proud of these two photos. Still going through and editing a bunch but I had to share these.

https://flic.kr/p/Hfn1Hv
    https://flic.kr/p/HisP43

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 05-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #3833
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I dunno what prices they run, haven't looked at them in years.

Light, probably easy enough to carry long distances. Tall, I would say at least able to go up to 4 feet tall.
    Tripods can run from $20 all the way up to $1500 (without a mounting head). Lighter, taller, and sturdier are what drive the costs up. If you want light and strong, you'll probably want a carbon fiber tripod. Those are pretty much $150+ minimum. If you want light, but don't care about strong, then you can get an aluminum one. The type of head you put on them also changes the cost. There are all kinds.

If you get the right tripod, you'll probably never have to buy another one again. The key is to really know what you want the tripod to do. If you don't know what you want from it, that's when you end up buying a new tripod again somewhere down the road.

Manfrotto is a good brand. If you want to know what expensive tripods look like, look up Gitzo and Really Right Stuff. At least you'll know the differences then.

Quote:
    I'm pretty proud of these two photos. Still going through and editing a bunch but I had to share these.

https://flic.kr/p/Hfn1Hv
    https://flic.kr/p/HisP43
    That bee one is really nice.
    Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #3834
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Here's some photos from my trip up the California Central Coast. Still getting the hang of editing.

https://flickr.com/photos/31725530@N...57669953024131

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 07-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #3835
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here's some photos from my trip up the California Central Coast. Still getting the hang of editing.

instantly drawn to the squirrel photo, looks like you just missed focus on the eyes. i see you were f/9 @ 95mm, should give you about 1 foot of DOF. doable, but they're quick

love the blue fading to yellow sky in 1907 and the eerie mist/doom in 1916
    Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #3836
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    instantly drawn to the squirrel photo, looks like you just missed focus on the eyes. i see you were f/9 @ 95mm, should give you about 1 foot of DOF. doable, but they're quick

love the blue fading to yellow sky in 1907 and the eerie mist/doom in 1916
    Those are my two favorite photos of the batch. Yeah that squirrel one bugs me too but hey I'm learning.

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 07-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #3837
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Great stuff Sarah, I know that area well. It's hard not to enjoy yourself up that road.
    Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #3838
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    Great stuff Sarah, I know that area well. It's hard not to enjoy yourself up that road.
    Thank you, I really appreciate that.

It was an amazing time, stayed in Cambria for two nights. I had been there before but traveled about 40miles north one day for some sightseeing.

It's been fun learning the photography art form.

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 07-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #3839
    pagoda
    Rocket Doctor

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Question for you guys. I have a Canon Rebel T1i with the standard 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm lens, and the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. None of my lenses have the STM (stepping motor) focusing system.

We are planning on going to Ireland at the end of August and I am considering getting an 18-135mm lens so that I can just take one lens. Canon introduced a new version of the 18-135 earlier this year, the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. This is replacing the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens.

On any of the major sites, the USM lens is $600 and the STM is $550, which really isn't that big of a difference. Amazon, however, has a couple of sellers that sell the STM lens as a White Box item, meaning the lens was part of a kit but it was separated from the kit and being sold separately. Those are running around $285.

Would it be worth spending more on the newer USM lens? From the research I have done so far, the optics between the two lenses are the same, but the USM version has a faster autofocus. The USM is also compatible with a power zoom adapter, but that is not a concern for me as I have never shot video with my DSLR.

I am by no means a professional, but I do enjoy taking photos. I haven't really done much in terms of processing, mostly because I don't have as much time as I would like. I have a 2.5 year old, so being able to focus quickly is important. That being said, I have gotten by with what I have so far, and I think even the STM would be an upgrade in terms of autofocus speed. I know neither of these lenses are professional quality, but neither is my budget. The USM lens is probably the most I am looking to spend.

Any thoughts and opinions are welcome!
    pagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #3840
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

I had an original 18-135 that came out with the t4i and it was fine for an inexpensive walk around lens. I would expect the newer lens to produce similar results. For what it's worth, the STM lens I had with the t4i was plenty fast enough to capture my then young nephews in all but the darkest rooms (think Christmas/evening holidays etc). I doubt any upgrades to that particular lens is going to fix that; you need more light than it captures, better ISO than the early rebels have or a flash.

Again, I'd recommend taking a look at the 40mm 2.8 canon lens. It grabs some good light, is tiny and easy to carry as a second lens and relatively cheap if you buy used. It's just a bit long for single room holiday shooting but with some practice it'll work well. The difference between it and a good 50mm is significant and just enough to work indoors if on a budget and in need of more light. It's also sharp and a quick focus.

Tags
    photography