Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR (5.6.16) - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #91
Tiduwho
heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR (5.6.16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
Meh. Looks ok, doesn't move the needle for me though. The conflict between them sort of seems manufactured out of nowhere.
http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/aVXw9gK_700b.jpg

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #92
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    that's a good one

I actually loved Deadpool. One of the best CBMs I've ever seen.
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #93
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Meh. Looks ok, doesn't move the needle for me though. The conflict between them sort of seems manufactured out of nowhere.
    You see Age of Ultron?

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #94
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    You see Age of Ultron?
    Yeah, brutally bad. Tony and Cap had one slightly contentious conversation if I remember correctly. And Cap also told Tony to watch his language. Those are the only two times I can ever remember those two characters having any sort of conflict.
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #95
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by javierm27 View Post
    Oh my God, they showed Spiderman!! The movie is ruined, they should have saved it. Blah blah blah.
    Marvel usually gets the pass

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoDaFoo View Post
    Anyone else think Spider-Man looked weird? Like almost too comic bookish?
    Yes. He looks like a plastic balloon.

Quote:

The parking garage chase scene between Bucky and Black Panther and Captain's line "I can do this all day" ( same line from the first film when he's fighting in the alley) were my favorite parts. Least favorite would be Spider-Man. From his cartoon look to his non enthusiastic "Hey everyone" line, I wasn't impressed.
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #96
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

This movie looks so good. The only thing that doesn't play right for me is when they're all attacking each other on the airplane runway...it looks a little anti-climatic. It's like 10 people. Not too epic looking.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #97
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's zero way in hell that Rhodey/War Machine dies in this movie. I don't have enough real money to bet real money, but I'm so sure about this I'd bet real money
    They would not have point blank shown us a significant supporting role death in all 3 major previews. As I think I already suggested, I could see him being hurt to the point where he'd never be able to suite up as WM anymore (maybe even paralyzed?) but no way, Rhodey makes it to the end of Civil War alive, if just unconscious and/or in a coma.

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #98
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    This movie looks so good. The only thing that doesn't play right for me is when they're all attacking each other on the airplane runway...it looks a little anti-climatic. It's like 10 people. Not too epic looking.
    I haven't seen Ultron but isn't there a scene very similar? I thought there was something in one of the trailers.
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #99
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    speaking of, I was still maintaining until recently that, while I didn't necessarily hope this would be the case, but I wasn't ruling out that was going to be an editing bait-and-switch on the audience. That the way they'd presented those shots before, I thought it at least possible they weren't running to duke it out between the two "teams", but all the Avengers were running from different areas to gangbang another particular nefarious threat. But nope, that wide shot pretty much confirms they're indeed going to head to head

well and speaking of THAT, did you guys see the poster for this thing? I'm actually halfway impressed. Invariably the posters for Marvel movies suck out loud, even the very best films (TWS). I mean I wouldn't objectively call it a 'great' poster, but this is a major improvement. Although, I find it quite curious that Bucky/WS is not only NOT right by Cap's side, he's all the way down in the 4th spot, and of course the figures get smaller as they move further away from Cap. It'd be nice if they confirm that Ant-Man's liking chilling on Scarlet Witch's shoulder or something

Old 03-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #100
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Marvel directors have seen the movie. The Guardians director take on Spidey:

@JamesGunn: I think @TomHolland1996 is the best Spidey/Peter Parker ever by a country mile.

@JamesGunn: It’s his own thing. He is to Spidey as Downey is to Iron Man, Ledger was to the Joker, Pratt is to Star-Lord.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #101
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    Marvel directors have seen the movie. The Guardians director take on Spidey:

@JamesGunn: I think @TomHolland1996 is the best Spidey/Peter Parker ever by a country mile.

@JamesGunn: It’s his own thing. He is to Spidey as Downey is to Iron Man, Ledger was to the Joker, Pratt is to Star-Lord.

alright I guess I'm the big dummy, cause I had a COMPLETELY different interpretation to those Well first of all can I just ask, did at any point did Gunn directly say about having seen the movie?
    It's only just... well knowing Gunn's sense of humor and everything, I kinda took it as a joke, that here of course this brand new version of Spidey would be, just by way of him being the MCU specifically, so he's automatically the best, no contest.
    and well, the second tweet, that's actually not so much a joke as just a genuine and valid observation. And that he could conceivably not even have seen the flick yet, but to say he feels confident it'll be a thing that Holland makes his own.

But yea I could be suuuuuuuuuuper wrong about all of this, and so be it! what you're saying seems of course quite plausible.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #102
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Kind of like the entire premise of the Batman vs. Superman for no reason other than money with no 10 year movie setup?
    Old 03-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #103
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah a lot of the action / cinematography looks flat. not Whedon bad (thank god he's gone) but not great

Last edited by TwoStep2888; 03-10-2016 at 09:19 PM.
    TwoStep2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #104
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    Well first of all can I just ask, did at any point did Gunn directly say about having seen the movie?
    All the tweets about this:

James Gunn: Civil War. Yes I swear and promise it really is awesome.

Jayesh: If there is ever a 'Bad' marvel movie, are you obliged to say it's good?

James Gunn: No. I would never agree to that. If I don’t like a Marvel movie (or any modern movie) I just say nothing.

Evelyn: what do u think of spidey?

James Gunn: I think @TomHolland1996 is the best Spidey/Peter Parker ever by a country mile.

[next two people were in response to the above tweet]

macready: based on maybe two seconds of screen time? cmon bruh

James Gunn: No. Based on seeing the whole movie. Why attack before you research?

Fields Gaming: Is that based on the trailer or have you seen the film early?

James Gunn: I’ve seen the film

SpideyNYC: is his performance more closer to Tobey or Andrew or entirely different?

James Gunn: It’s his own thing. He is to Spidey as Downey is to Iron Man, Ledger was to the Joker, Pratt is to Star-Lord.

Quote:
    It's only just... well knowing Gunn's sense of humor and everything, I kinda took it as a joke, that here of course this brand new version of Spidey would be, just by way of him being the MCU specifically, so he's automatically the best, no contest.
    I understand his sense of humor, but have zero idea how you took it as a joke.

Quote:
    And that he could conceivably not even have seen the flick yet, but to say he feels confident it'll be a thing that Holland makes his own.

But yea I could be suuuuuuuuuuper wrong about all of this, and so be it! what you're saying seems of course quite plausible.
    He's been on record as having seen it for a while.

From January 2nd

http://screencrush.com/james-gunn-civil-war-best/

When asked about Civil War, the director said it was “incredible,” and calls it “one of the best Marvel movies ever.” He also had the privilege of seeing the new Spider-Man in action, and says Tom Holland is “amazing” as the rebooted Peter Parker, calling his performance “off the charts awesome.”

Last edited by DMBZeppelin; 03-11-2016 at 12:06 AM.
    Old 03-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #105
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UCFish View Post
    Kind of like the entire premise of the Batman vs. Superman for no reason other than money with no 10 year movie setup?
    Fair point, although DC/WB did roll out a slate of movies until at least 2020, so if that's not long term enough for you, then sorry, I guess? Not sure that the ten year mark for plans is at all relevant. Pretty sure when Marvel made Iron Man they didn't have every movie through 2018 lined up.

It makes more sense for Batman and Superman to be fighting for a few reasons. It's entirely consistent with their comic characters. Since the DCCU is still in its infancy, it follows logically that they have a lot of room to expand, but still remain faithful to what's happened in the comics. They're introducing Batman to this new universe, so they have the liberty and flexibility to start off really however they want to. They're not limited or restricted by anything that's come before, since there has only been MoS.

Civil War, on the other hand, is not consistent with the characters from the MCU that we've seen a dozen times before now. I've seen every Marvel movie save for the second Thor movie. Nothing in those movies suggests that Iron Man and Cap would be such polar opposites on an issue that it would cause a "war". Age of Ultron tried, very sloppily, to set up a hundred different things for future movies, including planting the seeds of a Tony/Cap conflict. The problem is, that one conversation at Hawkeye's Ranch () isn't enough to sustain an entire conflict. The "we used to be friends" line from Tony in the first trailer fell so flat for me, because there has been nothing about their relationship on screen that would suggest they're anything more than convenient acquaintances. I'm really not trying to be a hater, but the evidence is not there to suggest either a serious conflict brewing nor a friendship.

I'm genuinely excited to see if they can pull it off and finally have a movie with weight and conflict. But nothing about either of the trailers has made me think it'll be any different than the cookie cutter Marvel movies we've gotten for almost a decade now.
    Old 03-11-2016, 05:17 AM   #106
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fair point, although DC/WB did roll out a slate of movies until at least 2020, so if that's not long term enough for you, then sorry, I guess? Not sure that the ten year mark for plans is at all relevant. Pretty sure when Marvel made Iron Man they didn't have every movie through 2018 lined up.

It makes more sense for Batman and Superman to be fighting for a few reasons. It's entirely consistent with their comic characters. Since the DCCU is still in its infancy, it follows logically that they have a lot of room to expand, but still remain faithful to what's happened in the comics. They're introducing Batman to this new universe, so they have the liberty and flexibility to start off really however they want to. They're not limited or restricted by anything that's come before, since there has only been MoS.

Civil War, on the other hand, is not consistent with the characters from the MCU that we've seen a dozen times before now. I've seen every Marvel movie save for the second Thor movie. Nothing in those movies suggests that Iron Man and Cap would be such polar opposites on an issue that it would cause a "war". Age of Ultron tried, very sloppily, to set up a hundred different things for future movies, including planting the seeds of a Tony/Cap conflict. The problem is, that one conversation at Hawkeye's Ranch () isn't enough to sustain an entire conflict. The "we used to be friends" line from Tony in the first trailer fell so flat for me, because there has been nothing about their relationship on screen that would suggest they're anything more than convenient acquaintances. I'm really not trying to be a hater, but the evidence is not there to suggest either a serious conflict brewing nor a friendship.

I'm genuinely excited to see if they can pull it off and finally have a movie with weight and conflict. But nothing about either of the trailers has made me think it'll be any different than the cookie cutter Marvel movies we've gotten for almost a decade now.
    Tony is obviously pro accountability after Ultron blew up in his face. It wasn't just Hawkeye's ranch, but even the birth of Vision. You're also suggesting the first scene will be a fighting scene. You realize it's totally possible to address this with the story in the actual movie.

But I'm pretty sure Steve protecting a guy who murdered Tony's parents will not be a high point in the relationship.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #107
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Think I'm more excited for this than Supes vs. the batdude. And I'm really looking forward to that movie.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2016, 06:17 AM   #108
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

My level of excitement this year (and I'm a Marvel guy) in terms of comic book movies in order...

-Batman v Superman
    -Cival War
    -Deadpool (it dropped in the middle of one of the busiest times of the year for me, ugh)
    -X-Men
    -Suicide Squad

I'm also very interested in the Gambit and Doctor Strange movies. No interest in TMNT.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #109
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I fell off the Xmen bandwagon, but I heard DOFP was pretty good, and obviously have heard really good things about Deadpool. I guess I'll need to jump back on at this point. For me it's all about what Marvel Studios is doing, although I'm definitely very intrigued to watch these next couple additions to the growing DC universe.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #110
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think between what they've been building in the two avengers movies + the captain 2 movie, then throw in the opening sequences it'll figure itself out. The comics basically do a similar thing where some mutants cause a giant mess of things and that starts all the legislature involvement.

To me, and maybe it's because I read the comic, but I don't see it manufactured all. You have two parties that have differing views on these events and the fallout of these events. Being superheroes, naturally, they have to duke it out to solve the problem.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #111
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I fell off the Xmen bandwagon, but I heard DOFP was pretty good, and obviously have heard really good things about Deadpool. I guess I'll need to jump back on at this point. For me it's all about what Marvel Studios is doing, although I'm definitely very intrigued to watch these next couple additions to the growing DC universe.
    DOFP and X-Men First Class are both good.
    Old 03-12-2016, 04:29 AM   #112
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I think between what they've been building in the two avengers movies + the captain 2 movie, then throw in the opening sequences it'll figure itself out. The comics basically do a similar thing where some mutants cause a giant mess of things and that starts all the legislature involvement.

To me, and maybe it's because I read the comic, but I don't see it manufactured all. You have two parties that have differing views on these events and the fallout of these events. Being superheroes, naturally, they have to duke it out to solve the problem.
    see, this is the thing, based on the movies thus far there just isn't anything there for me to feel like these two characters should be fighting. I'm sure they'll explain it in the first act, but as of right now, I can't get excited for it based on what we've seen in the MCU alone.
    Old 03-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #113
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like going back to the first Avengers film, Cap and Tony were always kinda contentious. And it seems as if there's a big catalyst for the fight in this one.
    Old 03-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #114
    UrsadonDMBAnts+ Site Supporter
    Mr. A-B

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

In the second Cap movie it is hinted that Winter Solider killed Tony's parents. I bet upon learning that Cap is protecting Winter Soldier that plays in to it too.

As far as Spiderman looks. I am way too excited for it and there are still two months to work on the CGI

My Instagram My Almanac
    UrsadonDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #115
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UCFish View Post
    DOFP and X-Men First Class are both good.
    I enjoyed DOFP when I saw it... and then forgot all about it.
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #116
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

I was talking to a guy on another forum, he was suggesting that perhaps the CGI wasn't fully finished yet for that final Spiderman shot, ya know to help appease those who weren't impressed by how it looked.

I realize there's a ton of examples where a trailer drops for a movie, and certain CGI-heavy scenes don't have shots that are 100% done and rendered yet, just cause of where they are in the whole post process. But here's the thing. When you consider the whole of the situation, do you really think they would've bothered to do this, give us a tease of Spidey in this final trailer, without making sure he looked as absolutely awesome as possible? For one thing, it's just a handful of seconds, and one shot. In the grand scheme of VFX work, not exactly a ton. And just with all the anticipation they knew that came along with this thing, whether or not they even showed us Spidey, I just can't imagine they would've bothered to give us a half assed version for this being literally our first ever look at Marvel's version of him. Now, does that guarantee he'll look exactly the same upon the movie's release? No, they could very well get more ideas they decide to use between now and when they finally lock the film. But I'm saying I totally believe at this point in time, Spiderman's look is where they think it's "done" (for that one shot, anyway).

Also I'm calling it right now -- when we hear Tony say "I was wrong about you... the whole world was wrong about you", he's NOT saying that to Cap. oh and I'm quite surprised we've gotten to the 3rd and final trailer now without having gotten a single glimpse of Daniel Bruehl's character.

Last edited by junior94; 03-13-2016 at 01:02 PM.
    Old 03-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #117
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

To juniors iron man line theory
    Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #118
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

okay JRS so you're saying that (well and technically I'm not even sure we necessarily have to spoiler tag this stuff, ultimately it just amounts to speculation, albeit spec based on events that did occur in the comics)

and actually maybe that's a question worth asking, that do people think points and details that were in the original comics, should they be tagged in posts?

Old 03-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #119
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Spoiler things in comics.

Just her for the movies
    Old 03-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #120
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    okay JRS so you're saying that (well and technically I'm not even sure we necessarily have to spoiler tag this stuff, ultimately it just amounts to speculation, albeit spec based on events that did occur in the comics)

and actually maybe that's a question worth asking, that do people think points and details that were in the original comics, should they be tagged in posts?
    Yea that's essentially what I am saying. Just an idea

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote