A Great Night at Darien - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

A Great Night at Darien

12th Show for me and I had a blast. Talk about a Greatest Hits show though - all they were missing was Ants and Crash. Sorry for the novel but just wanted to share some good stories and great memories with those who couldn't be there.

If nothing else, I think many of you will like my Grey Street story & Epilogue, so you can just skip to that if you don't want ot read the song by song breakdown.

A few things from the beginning
This is my 12th show. I've seen Halloween x3, Typical x2, JTR x2, Stone x5, and even KKJ.....I still had not seen Satellite or Grey Street. More on those in a bit.

Boyd - MVP of the night:
I think Boyd really found his groove this show. I haven't heard the tapes form the shows leading up to this one, but by count there were ZERO bow drops, and he really seemed to loosen up more and more as the night went on.

I put a little "Boyd Watch" tag after some of his notable songs to track his progress throughout the night - I think it will be very encouraging for many of you to read.

So here...we...go...

1. Dancing Nacies (D&T) - Awesome awesome way to start the show. Haven't seen a D&T show yet so this was really a treat. I'm not saying anyone people didn't already know - Tim on Nancies acoustic is unreal. So so good and crowd (which was really good this year) sang every word.

2. Recently (D&T&C) - Awesome as well. How could anyone complain about these first two songs? Excellent way to kick off the evening and crowd keopt singing along.

3. Two Step - Everyone came out and Carter was fooling around a bit before Boyd started strumming the intro. Definitely took the crowd by surprise but it was a welcomed one. Again, crowd sang every word.
Boyd Watch: Nothing too much to report - seemed a little quiet and reserved, but then again Two Step isn't a Boyd song.

4. Minarets - Man this show is going well! Couldn't believe how much people were singing along - not everyone, but far more than I would have anticipated. Probably all those coming from SPAC a couple weeks ago.
Boyd Watch: THought he sounded great during that cool riff, but since the horns were playing the same thing it was hard to tell if he was actually in tune.

TEASE
I said this in the Darien Lake thread: after Minarets Fonz brought out his stand-up bass. He then started playing a riff that I couldn't make out well but Carter started dying laughing. Dave looked over to them with a great "WTF is going on over there?" expression and was laughing as well. He then said something to the effect of "That's what you guys were playing the when I forst got to know you." It may have been nothing, but when the tape (hopefully) makes it out make sure to listen right before Stolen Away starts because I think there might be a gem of a tease in there. We'll see...

5. Stolen Away - Hated this tune on Stand Up but stripped down it's not that bad. Would not have been disappointed if they didn't play it and hope I never get it again, but it was tolerable in this format.

6. Billies - The crowed had subsided a bit from the opening run but was still into it after Stolen Away, but as you might guess, as soon as Billies kicks in the place just goes nuts. Excellent performance.
Boyd Watch: PHENOMENAL. His first solo(s) of the night. Definitely reserved but his first solo during the song went great (except for one skree near the end) and his outro solo was fantastic. He really seemed to loosen up a bit by the end.

7. Satellite - As I said, at my 12th show with no Satellite so I was definitely excited to hear this one. Dave's vocals were pretty good, except he struggled to keep up with the pace of the song. Oh well, I've finally gotten to see it.

8. WWYS - Just a great song and a great jam. Coffin is a master - what else is there to say?

==== SET BREAK ===

INTRO - They raised the main curtain, but the Band was still behind a transparent curtain (as you can see in Jeff's video here: http://www.hangwith.com/streaming/st...bid=hgTPlBJgCH). I could see Dave had the Bari guitar and with the really dark ominous intro I thought it was going to be What You Are (which I have never seen so I would love to see it).

9. So Right - Turns out the eerie intro was for naut (won't go there...) because they busted out So Right. Such a fun song with a great jam. Crowd was immediately hooked and signing along again.

10. #41 - I always love 41 early because it sets such a great vibe. This time was no exception.
Boyd Watch: Go listen to his first solo - once again fantastic. Reserved at first, but started to loosen up and walked over to Dave and even gave a quick leg kick right at the end. To my ears he was in tune the whole time and there were no skrees. Towards the end of the song during the wind-down i think he went out of tune a bit, but nothing too too bad.

11. When the World Ends - Meh...if you've ever seen this song you saw the one form last night. Can't win 'em all.

12. Save Me - I see the crew set up 3 stand so I know what's coming. Since I never saw the ladies in person I was willing to give them a try. Band starts playing the song and without any introduction the Ladies walk on stage....and the crows went CRAZY. I really couldn't believe it but it was really fun to be a part of. And while I know many of the older fans have issues with them, Save Me is the PERFECT song for them. It was just a blast and everyone both in the crowd and on-stage was having a ball.

13. Long Black Veil - Big thanks to 42km for the ticket! He and I were really hoping for this one and were so pumped to get it. Just a truly classic song played so well. LOVED it - definitely a hi-light of the night.

14 & 15. SMTS >> ASTB >> Too Much - These are classics for a reason. Were they any different from other versions? No. But when the crowd and Band are vibing off each other like everyone was last night, the energy just takes these songs to another level.

16. Crush - And the "Greatest Hits" show continues! Couldn't believe all the classics we were getting. Sure I'd love to get more deep cuts but sometimes it fun to just relax, dance and belt out every word. During the jam I just closed by eyes and took it all in. Such a great song and jam.
Boyd Watch: By this point I really think Boyd was gettin' his mojo back because he immediately went to tearing up his solo. Was this the best Crush solo he's ever played - definitely not. But compared to the bow drop videos we've all been seeing, this was night and day. So great to see him come alive again after his struggles.

17. If Only - Annnnnnnnd we hit a brick wall. What a crap song. So many great songs on AFTW that don't get played while this one does? Minimal crowd interaction and alot of people sat down. Guess we all have to pee sometime right?

18. Belly Belly Nice - Not my favorite on AFTW but man does this one rock live. Band and crowd were into it, just a whole lot of fun.
Boyd Watch: Given how well Boyd was playing all night and the fact that I could hear him clearly the whole show I couldn't wait to hear his BBN solo. Boyd played...no sound. I just don't get it.

19. Jimi - Didn't get it last year so I was bracing myself for it. Still fun but just so overplayed it's a shame. This version felt "shorter" and probably "only" went for 13-14 minutes. Still, if I never hear this song again I will be happy. Only slight upside was that I thought it would be the set closer so I got excited when they stayed on stage afterwards.

20. You & Me - Crew brought out 3 mic stands so I thought it was going to be a Stay closer, so I was surprised they played this. Another criminally overplayed song, but the silver lining is that if you liked the Grammy version of You & Me you'll like this one because they had the Ladies sing the same breakdown after the middle jam. Still, I'd be happy without it but the crowd sure does love it.

21. Stay - I love this song and think it works great as a set closer (granted I wasn't going to shows where it closed all the time). Just a lot of fun to sing and dance to, and - as I keep saying - both crowd and band were just really into it. And, much to the chagrin of AM.org mod's, the Ladies really had the crowd going during this one. I don't know what it is, but people seem to really love the ladies.

=== ENCORE ===

By this point it's after 10:50 and the band is coming up against the curfew. I quickly got the most awful pit-in-my-stomach feeling: "they're gonna close with a one off Shake Me encore." I couldn't even stand the thought.

Guitar tech comes out with the guitar Dave has been using for drop-d and my heart started to sink. I've NEVER left a DMB show early - would this be the first time? Dave then says "hope we got it right for y'all" which usually resuts in him playing a crap song afterwords....but no! He turns around again "I got a little sister named Jane, and this is the Song that Jane Likes"

22. STJL - So excited to get this one. Oddly enough, the crowd didn't have a big reaction, but maybe that's because its such an old song that does't see alot of play. I'd take it at any show though and they had a really great animated video synched to the performance on the screen.
Boyd Watch: By this point, Boyd seemed completely loose and was just having fun which is a great thing to see. He was definitely the mvp of the night to me.

Grey Street Story:
Now, by the end of the show I'm standing there thinking to myself: I've been to 12 shows. I've seen Halloween x3, Typical x2, Minarets x2, JTR x2, Stone x5, KKJ and now even STJL x2 and I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN GREY STREET.

But alas, as the final cords of STJL are being played I look over to stage right and see the guitar tech walking out with a guitar....it's the 12! Finally, I think, I'm going to get my Grey Street!

But before the song begins Tim plays one of his wacky fills. It sounded exactly like what he would play during Halloween, but it can't be because Dave has the 12 string. The only other thing it could possibly be is (and I knew the chances were like .05%) Last Stop. Good thing I didn't get my hopes up because...

23. Grey Street - I still have the memory of walking into Media Play (#tbt) and happening to see there was a new DMB album for sale...Busted Stuff. Being a passive fan at the time (by passive I mean I liked Ants and Crash) I immediately fell in love with Grey Street. Now, I hadn't thought of that memory is YEARS, but as Carter played his drum roll and the band kicked in, I was immediately back in my parents car as a 13 year old with headphones on listening to this song.

It was simply amazing. I didn't sing or dance at all during the song, all I could do was stand there and stare at the stage and think about how much the song I had first heard 12 years before - almost half of my lifetime! - had impacted my life and somehow directed me to where I was standing at that moment....listening to that same song again.

I just got married less than 3 weeks ago, so it was truly one of those "life coming full circle" moments. I know it sounds crazy, but I even began to tear up a bit because the emotions were so powerful. Music is amazing.

Epilogue:
If all that wasn't great enough, right at the end of the Grey Street jam, I ran over to the soundboard hoping to get a setlist. As GS ended I went right to the booth but they immediately handed over a couple setlists. I figured I was out of luck, but still lingered for a bit and looked to see if the cameraman had one, but I couldn't see one.

But right as I was about to turn away he reached out to me and just handed me a setlist!! I just couldn't believe it - my first setlist!!

Ran out of the venue just in time to catch the buses go by. What a way to end it - what a night!!

Last edited by two-by-twostep; 06-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.
two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: A Great Night at Darien

Great review, enjoyed reading. Glad you had a great time! Wonder what that tease was..
    Old 06-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Nice review. Go Sabres

Last edited by Jordan#41; 06-12-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
    khearn123

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

great post!
    khearn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
    lovemesomedmb

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Agree 100%.....! Great review. Thought exactly the same thing about What You Are as the opener. Not disappointed with So Right, but really thought it would be WYA.

2023 Shows: Highland, Irvine x2, Gorge x3, Charlottesville x2
    lovemesomedmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Really excellent review. This was a great looking show and glad to hear that the actual set lived up to how good it looked on paper. Really getting me excited for my 5 shows this summer.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
    dthree

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Great review. Thanks for sharing.
    dthree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
    Mikeap

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Great review! I agree with your thoughts on Boyd. I haven't listened to any shows from this year and was nervous about how he would sound. He was on pretty much the whole night.
    Mikeap is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
    dmbfan1011
    The Meddle Piper

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Great post!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBenjamin View Post

This is my 12th show. I've seen Halloween x3, Typical x2, JTR x2, Stone x5, and even KKJ.....I still had not seen Satellite or Grey Street.
    Very jealous of these stats from 12 shows.
    Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
    ¡Nick!

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Darien this year was just a feel good show. Being a younger fan, I was pretty excited to see the Lovely Ladies (I was only about 5 when they originally sang with the band). The set list rocked too. It doesn't matter how many times I have heard 41 or Jimi, watching the band groove and jam is what I pay to see. Not to mention, Rashawn and Jeff have inched closer and closer to the style of 'Roi every year. It was the perfect mix of sing-alongs for the less intense fans and treats for the tried and true (TSTJL and Long Black Veil). Overall, a damn good night. And I think it's safe to say that the band enjoyed it quite a bit too.
    ¡Nick! is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 AM   #11
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Read on train to airport/Camden - great review - thanks!

Tapatalk from my phone
    Old 06-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #12
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you all for reading the review - had a great time at the show and was happy to share it!
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
    rdraves
    lovleee lady

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Such a great show!!!! Is there a recording out there? I haven't seen anything on Dreaming Tree
    and sweet you roll

Red is the color
    Of the sun with my eyes closed
    I can still taste you
    And I will again

rdraves is offline   Reply With Quote