Official Star Trek discussion thread - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #61
hylidaea

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Star Trek discussion thread

I sometimes think "Computer, end traffic simulation" on my way to work.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #62
    thebestauntie
    My love

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hylidaea View Post
    I sometimes think "Computer, end traffic simulation" on my way to work.
    That's awesome! I'll have to remember that for work and sometime say "Computer, end scientist simulation" and see what they do!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Best team. Best city.
    thebestauntie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #63
    jackisback24
    He's using hypnosis!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

just read Leonard Nimoy has passed. If so, that's awful. Great character actor. My mom had a crush on him from the old show in the 60s. Rest in Peace, sir.
    jackisback24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #64
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, he passed. Sad day.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2019, 06:03 AM   #65
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

The trailer for the new Picard series dropped...

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/05/23/e...rnd/index.html
    Old 05-24-2019, 06:06 AM   #66
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

So awesome, TNG is just an incredible series. CBS All Access is stupid as fuck.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2019, 06:10 AM   #67
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Agreed on both fronts.

I still haven’t watched the new discovery series because I’ve bulked at paying for CBS. I’ll def spring for it now!
    Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #68
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

In fact, I'm not sure why I've never put TNG in my all-time list. Henceforth I shall!! Make it so!!!

1.) The Sopranos
    2.) Breaking Bad
    3.) LOST
    4.) The Wire
    5.) ST: TNG

There's my top 5.
    Old 05-24-2019, 06:17 AM   #69
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

It’s hard to argue with your list.

I will say tho that I think I enjoyed DS9 more than TNG. However, I can’t disagree with TNG being more of a landmark series (if that makes sense).
    Old 05-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #70
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

I’ve watched the trailer again and have been thinking about the timeline.

Excuse the nerd out but here it goes:

The voice over says “15 years ago you commanded the largest rescue armada...”

Now Star Trek time is usually fairly lockstep with real time. With that said Nemesis came out in 2002 so the trailer would put this armada thang two years post nemesis. This is also intriguing because it can’t have to do with Spock blowing up Romulus and Remus in the beginning of ST09 because in both real time and Star Trek time those events take place 7 years after Nemesis.

Needless to say I can’t wait to find out what this rescue mission is about. I hope it means we get some flashbacks and get to see the Enterprise-E back in combat.

I also hope we find out what happened to Data/B4. I hope the series also touches upon the politics of the aforementioned destruction of Romulus.

I wonder if we will get cameos from other TNG cast.

I’m pumped!

\nerdrant
    Old 05-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #71
    YouKnowThatItIS
    Go Bucks!

Shows Seen: 124

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Is a CBS sub worth it? I have been anti streaming services so far because I don't want to pay for additional content when I already pay so much for a bunch of other channels via UVerse. But this is making me think I should do this one.
    Old 05-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #72
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

I can’t answer that as I’ve not signed up for it. But I for sure will be for Picard. When the series launches that’s when I’ll check out discovery too.
    Old 05-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #73
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    In fact, I'm not sure why I've never put TNG in my all-time list. Henceforth I shall!! Make it so!!!

1.) The Sopranos
    2.) Breaking Bad
    3.) LOST
    4.) The Wire
    5.) ST: TNG

There's my top 5.
    I see you forgot to add 24 to your list. Yes, the later seasons sucked, but the first few seasons were awesome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post

Now Star Trek time is usually fairly lockstep with real time. With that said Nemesis came out in 2002 so the trailer would put this armada thang two years post nemesis. This is also intriguing because it can’t have to do with Spock blowing up Romulus and Remus in the beginning of ST09 because in both real time and Star Trek time those events take place 7 years after Nemesis.

Needless to say I can’t wait to find out what this rescue mission is about. I hope it means we get some flashbacks and get to see the Enterprise-E back in combat.

I also hope we find out what happened to Data/B4. I hope the series also touches upon the politics of the aforementioned destruction of Romulus.

I’m pumped!

\nerdrant
    About the bolded, Johnathan Frakes is directing a couple of episodes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #74
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s hard to argue with your list.

I will say tho that I think I enjoyed DS9 more than TNG. However, I can’t disagree with TNG being more of a landmark series (if that makes sense).
    Deep Space Nine is the most underrated Star Trek series ever! Such great storytelling, glad to see it's finally getting the respect it deserves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouKnowThatItIS View Post
    Is a CBS sub worth it? I have been anti streaming services so far because I don't want to pay for additional content when I already pay so much for a bunch of other channels via UVerse. But this is making me think I should do this one.
    When there's new Star Trek, it is definitely worth the price of admission. I'm enjoying the new Twilight Zone too, but I plan on putting my account on hold once it's done...at least until Picard premieres.

Quote:

I’m pumped!

\nerdrant
    Well, I'm pretty sure this new series takes place 15 years after the destruction of Romulus, regardless of how long it's been since we last saw Picard. It's pretty safe to assume this series will deal with the fallout of that major event.

As for TNG cameos? I wouldn't be surprised if we get a brief visit from Riker (since Frakes is directing a couple of episodes anyway), or maybe Worf. Or maybe Geordi will come visit Picard at the vineyard (oh wait, that was the series finale!) But Brent Spiner has mentioned several times that androids don't age and that he's too old to play the role now.

At any rate, I'm very excited and I'm planning on watching all the TNG episodes/movies this summer to get ready!
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #75
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madnana View Post
    Deep Space Nine is the most underrated Star Trek series ever! Such great storytelling, glad to see it's finally getting the respect it deserves.

When there's new Star Trek, it is definitely worth the price of admission. I'm enjoying the new Twilight Zone too, but I plan on putting my account on hold once it's done...at least until Picard premieres.

Well, I'm pretty sure this new series takes place 15 years after the destruction of Romulus, regardless of how long it's been since we last saw Picard. It's pretty safe to assume this series will deal with the fallout of that major event.

As for TNG cameos? I wouldn't be surprised if we get a brief visit from Riker (since Frakes is directing a couple of episodes anyway), or maybe Worf. Or maybe Geordi will come visit Picard at the vineyard (oh wait, that was the series finale!) But Brent Spiner has mentioned several times that androids don't age and that he's too old to play the role now.

At any rate, I'm very excited and I'm planning on watching all the TNG episodes/movies this summer to get ready!

Brent Spiner doesn't have to be Data or B4. He can play a whole new character. Put some makeup on him and he can play a whole new alien race that's friends with the Federation and Picard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #76
    Coolmunk too
    I amthe cool-est monkey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I watched the pilot for the first time last October on Netflix, and am now rewatching TOS. Anybody watch the animated? Are the stories considered cannon? Any notable episodes? (I found it a little hard to watch)
    Coolmunk too is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #77
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K270 View Post
    I see you forgot to add 24 to your list. Yes, the later seasons sucked, but the first few seasons were awesome.

About the bolded, Johnathan Frakes is directing a couple of episodes.
    That’s great news about Frakes. He does good work and Riker is my favorite Star Trek character.

My favorite TNG episodes were when Picard was away and Riker took command of the ship.

Quote:

I read that the fall out from the destruction of Romulus figures heavily into the new series. That make perfect sense as the catalyst to drive Picard away from Starfleet especially if he was there to witness it; the death of Spock (at least in the prime universe), the sheer size of the loss of life, possible destruction of of a second Enterprise under his command (boy I hope not).

Maybe I’m nitpicking and getting hung up on the 15 years comment in voice over compared to the actual ten years that have passed since ST09.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolmunk too View Post
    I watched the pilot for the first time last October on Netflix, and am now rewatching TOS. Anybody watch the animated? Are the stories considered cannon? Any notable episodes? (I found it a little hard to watch)
    I watched the animated series as a kid and it’s what got me hooked on Trek to begin with. I’m pretty sure startrek.com and MemoryAlpha both consider it cannon.
    Old 05-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #78
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yesteryear is a good one.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #79
    Coolmunk too
    I amthe cool-est monkey

My Tour Central Stats

I can't believe a STar Trek discussion thread more than a few days old is only 3 pages long. I mean, I know this is dmb country, but trekkies are everywhere...
    Old 05-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #80
    MOWJO8185

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouKnowThatItIS View Post
    Quote:
    I can’t answer that as I’ve not signed up for it. But I for sure will be for Picard. When the series launches that’s when I’ll check out discovery too.
    If you are only interested in one or two shows, then i'd recommend waiting until the first season has finished its run, and then paying for a month and binging through what you want to watch, and then quitting until the next season. I don't think there's enough on CBS to warrant an evergreen subscription, but there's no rule against signing up for a month and then quitting and starting again next year.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #81
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    1.) The Sopranos
    2.) NCIS LA
    3.) The Americans
    4.) ST: ENT
    5.) Gilligan's Island
    There's my top 5.
    Old 05-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #82
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can't believe a STar Trek discussion thread more than a few days old is only 3 pages long. I mean, I know this is dmb country, but trekkies are everywhere...
    thread started: 04-11-2003, 11:29 AM
    UNLTrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #83
    Coolmunk too
    I amthe cool-est monkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNLTrpt View Post
    thread started: 04-11-2003, 11:29 AM
    Yeah, I thought it'd be in epic status by now
    Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #84
    jenhen27
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

If any of you have nothing to do for several months, someone compiled a Chronological listing of all of the Star Trek episodes from each series using the star dates.

http://thestartrekchronologyproject....r-trek_19.html

jenhen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #85
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just re-watched all 22 of these and the main thing that's tough to get through is all the recycled animation and music. There's like 3 music cues for all 22 episodes!

Quote:
    I watched the animated series as a kid and it’s what got me hooked on Trek to begin with. I’m pretty sure startrek.com and MemoryAlpha both consider it cannon.
    Its canonicity has changed over the years. Used to be considered non-cannon, like the books. But that changed when they put those 22 episodes out on DVD/Blu-ray. There's still a few things in there though that many fans consider apocryphal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    Yesteryear is a good one.
    Yes, definitely the best one. I also recommend The Lorelei Signal & The Slaver Weapon for something a little different. The Magicks of Megas-Tu, too!
    Old 05-30-2019, 07:54 AM   #86
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenhen27 View Post
    If any of you have nothing to do for several months, someone compiled a Chronological listing of all of the Star Trek episodes from each series using the star dates.

Holy shit

Is there continuity in all of that? Meaning, when writing a Star Trek episode for whatever series do the writers take into consideration all of this?

That's fucking crazy.
    Old 05-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #87
    Coolmunk too
    I amthe cool-est monkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, definitely the best one. I also recommend The Lorelei Signal & The Slaver Weapon for something a little different. The Magicks of Megas-Tu, too!
    Thanks, I'll get right on these!
    Old 05-30-2019, 03:48 PM   #88
    Coolmunk too
    I amthe cool-est monkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Holy shit

Is there continuity in all of that? Meaning, when writing a Star Trek episode for whatever series do the writers take into consideration all of this?

That's fucking crazy.
    Would that mean all the books would be included?
    Old 05-31-2019, 05:36 AM   #89
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenhen27 View Post

Quote:
    Holy shit

That's fucking crazy.
    Quote:
    Would that mean all the books would be included?
    That list includes all the movies/episodes in chronological order. That's 13 movies, plus almost 750 TV episodes! That list doesn't even include the thousands of Star Trek books/comics that have been published over the years (because those are considered non-canon).

As for continuity...there are times, even within The Original Series, where one episode might contradict something said in another episode. But, for the most part, they try their best to stick to canon. Thankfully, there are enough "canon nazis" in the writing rooms of these new shows, but they have taken a few liberties here and there.
    Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 AM   #90
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That list includes all the movies/episodes in chronological order. That's 13 movies, plus almost 750 TV episodes! That list doesn't even include the thousands of Star Trek books/comics that have been published over the years (because those are considered non-canon).

As for continuity...there are times, even within The Original Series, where one episode might contradict something said in another episode. But, for the most part, they try their best to stick to canon. Thankfully, there are enough "canon nazis" in the writing rooms of these new shows, but they have taken a few liberties here and there.

The most glaring “liberty” they took was Scotty’s quip about Kirk dragging the enterprise of mothballs in the TNG episode relics and then him witnessing Kirk’s supposed death in ST Generations.

I remember way back when either hearing in an interview or reading that the writers said, “yeah we chose to ignore that and hoped no one would notice.”