BWGK on Vinyl - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #151
TMoore4075
RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: BWGK on Vinyl

Just so people are aware, not sure if it had been mentioned yet, the Best Buy site has been updated to say 2 discs. I know there was talk that it might have only been a one disc version of it but doesn't seem to be now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1967420

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #152
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Figured that would be the case.
    The Police - Certifiable is 3LP's and they list it as VINYL (1)

Is it still $13.99?
    Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #153
    pats4life2003
    Big Gulps Huh?

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

i gotta preorder that vinyl baby!
    Old 05-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #154
    bigkshep

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zje9-9NGYYI

The Dreaming Tree on vinyl. what a tease
    Old 05-05-2009, 04:39 AM   #155
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats4life2003 View Post
    i gotta preorder that vinyl baby!
    If you do it through Best Buy make sure you are able to pick it up in store.
    I did The Police 3LP through online and they mailed it in a bubble mailer so all the corners were bent. Never seen such stupidity on the vinyl front.
    Old 05-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #156
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Figured that would be the case.
    The Police - Certifiable is 3LP's and they list it as VINYL (1)

Is it still $13.99?
    Yeah still 13.99

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #157
    ncrstlr1

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Question about the LP's are these going to be 33's or 45's? I am guessing 45's right. I am so clueless about vinyl records and is this a decent turntable?

http://www.dual-reference.com/tables/1237.htm
    Old 05-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #158
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    Yeah still 13.99
    That's a pretty sick price for a new 2LP 180g release!!
    Definitely will buy this one in store if it's still $13.99 on 06/02 - can't stomach getting another bubble mailer with a bent cover from those guys. They sent me The Police twice and the second time I had specifically stated that it was the bubble mailer that allowed the cover to get bent, anyone who knows vinyl ships in cardboard LP mailers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncrstlr1 View Post
    Question about the LP's are these going to be 33's or 45's? I am guessing 45's right. I am so clueless about vinyl records and is this a decent turntable?

Usually if a 2LP set plays at 45 rpm it's labelled as such, 33 1/3 is the normal speed for an LP. Labels like Mobile Fidelity have done "45 rpm Audiophile pressings 1/2 speed mastered" of certain albums (recently Metallica for WB) but there's no correlation between better sounding records and speed, not in my experience.

Yes, those old Dual tables should clean up real nice if they were looked after.
    Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #159
    ncrstlr1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's a pretty sick price for a new 2LP 180g release!!
    Definitely will buy this one in store if it's still $13.99 on 06/02 - can't stomach getting another bubble mailer with a bent cover from those guys. They sent me The Police twice and the second time I had specifically stated that it was the bubble mailer that allowed the cover to get bent, anyone who knows vinyl ships in cardboard LP mailers.

Usually if a 2LP set plays at 45 rpm it's labelled as such, 33 1/3 is the normal speed for an LP. Labels like Mobile Fidelity have done "45 rpm Audiophile pressings 1/2 speed mastered" of certain albums (recently Metallica for WB) but there's no correlation between better sounding records and speed, not in my experience.

Yes, those old Dual tables should clean up real nice if they were looked after.
    Thank you.
    Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #160
    handsareme

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does your turntable have a phono pre-amp built in or is your TT going into the PHONO input on your receiver. If it's the latter, this is how mine used to be set-up on my Onkyo TX-SR805. Once I added the phono pre-amp I changed the input to the CD (because you can't use the phono input anymore) and WOW what a difference, better frequency response and better gain, a much more accurate experience. I was already impressed with vinyl, but adding the phono made an extremely measurable difference in performance.
    Thanks for the advice. I had a feeling that might help. Though I can't do anything till I get home in August.
    Old 05-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #161
    brendank310

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joruus View Post
    The link below is a visual reference of what Matt is talking about.

http://www.webbasedprogramming.com/T...Gurus/f4-1.gif

The top graph is a analog sound wave. This is what you hear when you talk to someone. Vinyl can recreate that wave almost exactly.

The bottom graph is a digital conversion of that same sound wave. This is what you hear if someone spoke into a microphone connected to a computer, burned it to CD, then you played it back through speakers.

The graph is a poor representation of an actual digital wave (the gaps between the actual wave and the digital one are much smaller), but you get the idea.
    The bottom is not accurate as what you would listen to. The signal is run through a low pass filter in the digital to analog conversion that occurs in digital audio. The entire content of the analog signal is contained in the digital data set, and can be re-constructed by using the appropriate filter. Because nothing is free in this universe(damn conservation of energy) there can be a small amount of loss, but thats not avoided in analog either. The thing that gets people about the whole digital is worse than analog is that the sampling theory says you need to sample at 2 times the frequency of the sampled signal which needs to be "bandlimited" which actually can't happen, but we can get pretty close nowadays. So if human hearing is bandlimited from 0Hz to 22Khz or so, we sample at 44Khz. Some oversampling occurs, to prevent aliasing errors.
    If your interested in this stuff, look up Shannon-Nyquist Sampling Theory.
    Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #162
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brendank310 View Post
    The bottom is not accurate as what you would listen to. The signal is run through a low pass filter in the digital to analog conversion that occurs in digital audio. The entire content of the analog signal is contained in the digital data set, and can be re-constructed by using the appropriate filter. Because nothing is free in this universe(damn conservation of energy) there can be a small amount of loss, but thats not avoided in analog either. The thing that gets people about the whole digital is worse than analog is that the sampling theory says you need to sample at 2 times the frequency of the sampled signal which needs to be "bandlimited" which actually can't happen, but we can get pretty close nowadays. So if human hearing is bandlimited from 0Hz to 22Khz or so, we sample at 44Khz. Some oversampling occurs, to prevent aliasing errors.
    If your interested in this stuff, look up Shannon-Nyquist Sampling Theory.
    Here's another interesting theory though, which explains why CD never seems to cut it despite the Nyquist theory looking good on paper:

Quote:
    44.1kHz sampling can detect high frequencies up to half that sampling rate - 22.05kHz, BUT it CANNOT accurately sample the voltage levels of high frequency transients with only 2, or a few more, samples, regardless of the number of Bits.
    Philips, co-inventor, of the technology knew that then, AND published in their Technical Information for their Test Equipment that for ACCURATE voltage measurements the sampling rate needs to be 80 times the highest frequency to be measured - yes EIGHTY, thus 44.1kHz sampling will only measure precisely up to about 550 Hz! Given how the human ear/brain compensates, and that most of the music signal is below about 2kHz, we can get away with about 16 times the sampling rate - I think ... thus 256kHz sampling for 16kHz -{the highest frequency I can still hear, and sufficient for the Harmonics of musical instruments}-, but we have only sampling up to 192kHz available, -{and please some-one correct me if higher is now available}-, thus to 12kHz in the treble for harmonics is reasonably accurate.
    Correction from me – we have DXD recorders now that can work at 32-bit/384kHz rates, it’s called Digital eXtreme Definition. It’s used so that the one source will be accurate for both DSD encodings (SACD) and PCM encodings (Blu-ray – 24/192). 2L Recordings from Norway is putting out SACD/CD/Blu-ray combo discs with all tracks sourced from DXD recordings – they are so far reviewed as phenomenal. However this theory lends some credence to those that say they can hear a difference between 24/96 and 24/192.

Quote:
    OK for older listeners with treble hearing loss, and for most Commercial Radio intended pop music for people who don't really listen -{the "watch" phenomena some-one posted about earlier in this thread}- and that is fine if they are happy.
    IF we further relax the threshold for accuracy to minimum 8 times, for 20kHz, to ensure >x8 times for audible frequencies, then the 178.4 and 192kHz chips suffice, but most of you have only 96kHz sampling in your Hi-Spec format discs - correct ?
    Not quite correct, the “hi-spec” discs allow for 24/192 up to 5.1 now (blu-ray) and 24/96 for 7.1, while most receivers sold over the last 4~5 years have 24/192 capable DAC’s in them.

Quote:
    To my hearing, comparing musical instruments recorded with good high frequency capable microphones to a good quality high speed analog tape recorder, well aligned, to the same signals recorded to digital at the original Professional sampling of 48kHz, -{and that is still used in a lot of studios}-
    Interjection – it might still be used in a lot of indie studios, but most professional studios are using 24/96 or higher

Quote:
    for all harmonics above about 5kHz the analog replay is noticably more true-to-life than the digital - compared to the direct sound of the instrument I have just recorded. ALSO, the the transient response is subliminally messed up as result of the pre-echo, filter resonance from the steep slope filters that are necessary with all digital to remove aliasing noise from intermodulating with the treble harmonics of the music. These filters are in all CD players except for a very few new models which have a new type of filter, thus a second reason for the mediocre treble quality from all CDs to date. Now that better filters are available, and the almost high enough sampling rate, is the time that Digital for music recording should have been introduced - not 20+ years ago!

Ideally, audio should have waited till Blu-ray was ready also, and it was known, I think almost 20 years ago that Blu-ray was possible, though I have forgotten exactly when I first read of it.

The MP3/data reduced/reduced dynamic range satisfied listeners' ancestors were quite happy with portable cassette players and low priced, mediocre quality turntable/tonearm/cartridge combinations years ago, and to them the past 20 years of CD has been wonderful, and more than some of them seem to need, given what they are buying now !
    Anyway it’s worth keeping in mind that Nyquist is still a theory and in practice nothing can reconstruct what wasn’t there to begin with, it’s just like the whole DVD upscaling scam. 480i is still 480i.

DSD comes closest to an analog pulse – CD is just pretty messy.

http://www.merging.com/2002/images/dsdresponseneon.gif

The entire analog content is NOT maintened in the digital set at 16/44.1 - simple listening tests will show that much to be true.

Last edited by dobyblue; 05-06-2009 at 06:29 AM.
    Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #163
    ncrstlr1

My Tour Central Stats

FYE seems to have the best price on the vinyl album you can get it for $9.99 after a rebate.

http://www.fye.com/Big-Whiskey-and-t...VVviewprod.htm
    Old 05-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #164
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I just pre-ordered the double vinyl. Damn do they gouge the hell out of you on shipping!!! Highway robbery. If it didn't come with the "free" LT 15 I'd never in a million years order from them.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #165
    sir iggius

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    I just pre-ordered the double vinyl. Damn do they gouge the hell out of you on shipping!!! Highway robbery. If it didn't come with the "free" LT 15 I'd never in a million years order from them.
    yeah, i am getting two free lt15's through them. lol.
    Old 05-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #166
    ncrstlr1

My Tour Central Stats

That's why I ordered the super deluxe through the band's site and ordered the vinyl through FYE, plus there shipping was only 4 bucks and they have an option for 3 bucks.
    Old 05-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #167
    jharries
    Johnny the Ant

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Amazon gives you free shipping on orders over $25 - if you're ordering the super deluxe and the double vinyl it might work out as the best option...and they'll price match any other site usually as well.
    Old 05-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #168
    hoke2007
    #16- I'm with Coco

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Do you all think I should preorder this on vinyl or should I be able to buy it at Best Buy on 6/2?
    Old 05-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #169
    steinbch

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Awesome! Throw up a post and let us know how it sounds when you get it. I'm planning on ordering one around the end of next week.
    So I finally set up the 440 cartridge that I got this week. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the 440MLa and the stock ATP-2. The sound is richer and seems to have a larger soundstage. Comparing it to CD, I no longer hear as big of a difference between the vinyl and CD. Before, the vinyl sounded worse than the CD counterpart. I wonder how much I might notice by upgrading to a phono preamp. I'm also wondering what difference I would hear if I switched to the ATP-120's phono preamp versus the Onkyo's preamp.

Right now my setup is:
    ATP-120 (440MLa) -> Onkyo 805 (phono input) -> 2 JBL 880s

Alex, did you pick up the new cartridge yet?
    Old 05-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #170
    steinbch

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Get a free 7" when you purchase the LP at a local record store. Found this link in another thread:
    http://www.previewnewmusic.com/dmb/
    Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #171
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

My kids are getting me this for Fathers Day.
    Old 05-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #172
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steinbch View Post
    I wonder how much I might notice by upgrading to a phono preamp.
    I noticed a big difference in sound when I went to the dedicated preamp. I'd recommend that option over any built-in preamp whether in the TT or the receiver.
    Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #173
    smudge1
    Unreal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I noticed a big difference in sound when I went to the dedicated preamp. I'd recommend that option over any built-in preamp whether in the TT or the receiver.
    Do you work for a music store?
    Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #174
    kiwiroots

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncrstlr1 View Post

I got my vinyl copy yesterday and the full album is the standard 33 1/3 rpm.

The limited edition Bonus 7" available only at local independent record stores is a 45 rpm.
    Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #175
    smudge1
    Unreal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwiroots View Post
    I got my vinyl copy yesterday and the full album is the standard 33 1/3 rpm.

The limited edition Bonus 7" available only at local independent record stores is a 45 rpm.
    no shit?
    Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #176
    Brant Marshall

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

anyone know how many copies are going to run on vinyl???
    Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #177
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brant Marshall View Post
    anyone know how many copies are going to run on vinyl???
    I would imagine they'll press around 20,000 for the first pressing. But if they sell out they'll put in a second pressing for sure. In that interim people will probably be able to make money off of their copies sadly, but hopefully it won't be out of stock for long...providing it sells out in the first place.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    Do you work for a music store?
    No, Panasonic Canada in the point-of-sale department (touch screen registers).
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #178
    DMBTattoo
    dmbtattoo.com

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steinbch View Post
    Get a free 7" when you purchase the LP at a local record store. Found this link in another thread:
    http://www.previewnewmusic.com/dmb/

good stuff to know!
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #179
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

That sucks that they're giving it out for CD buyers too, but hopefully most indie stores will only make it available to LP buyers.
    Old 05-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #180
    Tak_a_Tak

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Nice, I was heading there anyway to pick this up on vinyl. Thanks for the info.
    vinyl collection