AFTW - DMB's 6th Straight #1 - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #31
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: AFTW - DMB's 6th Straight #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow2 View Post
OK, people are mixing and matching records here

So to recap:
- DMB is the first band of any country of origin to have 6 CONSECUTIVE #1 albums on the US billboard charts.

- DMB is the 2nd American Band to have 6 #1 albums, non-consecutively (Eagles)

As far as I am aware, no solo artist record was broken.
The bold is incorrect. It's studio (not including compilations or soundtracks) albums debuting at #1, not just consecutive #1 albums.

DMB is the first ARTIST regardless of band or solo to do it.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #32
    Bluecow2

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    The bold is incorrect. It's studio (not including compilations or soundtracks) albums debuting at #1, not just consecutive #1 albums.

DMB is the first ARTIST regardless of band or solo to do it.
    Source please? Everyone, including Billboard states it as band.
    Not that I don't believe you...just want a source.

Here are a couple sources that discuss group versus artist:
    New York Times: " It is the band’s sixth consecutive studio album to debut at No. 1, and the first time any group has achieved such a run"
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...opens-at-no-1/

Billboard (kinda an expert in the field): "They are the only group to have six consecutive studio albums debut at No. 1"
    Bluecow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #34
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Source please? Everyone, including Billboard states it as band.
    Not that I don't believe you...just want a source.

Here are a couple sources that discuss group versus artist:
    New York Times: " It is the band’s sixth consecutive studio album to debut at No. 1, and the first time any group has achieved such a run"
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...opens-at-no-1/

Billboard (kinda an expert in the field): "They are the only group to have six consecutive studio albums debut at No. 1"
    Billboard are definitely an expert on Billboard.

http://www.billboard.com/column/char...04101931.story

8 consecutive No. 1s, The Beatles (1965-69)
    6 consecutive No. 1s, Eminem (2000-10)
    5 consecutive No. 1s, DMX (1998-2003)
    5 consecutive No. 1s, U2 (1987-97)
    5 consecutive No. 1s, Paul McCartney (1973-77)
    5 consecutive No. 1s, Chicago (1972-75)
    5 consecutive No. 1s, Elton John (1972-74)

You have the consecutive #1 data, from that you can look up which ones actually debuted at #1 and arrive at the list of most consecutive debut #1's. We know this is studio albums and no live albums, compilations or soundtrack albums because The Beatles would have more with The Blue Album and Elton would have less because of a live release that didn't reach #1 in the middle of his streak.

http://www.billboard.com/column-char...04082223.story

Quote:
    While Usher's streak of No. 1s on the Billboard 200 - "Raymond V Raymond" (2010), "Here I Stand" (2008) and "Confessions" (2004) - is a notable feat, other artists have logged longer stretches of topping the tally consecutively.

At the head of the list is the act whose music was celebrated (to varying degrees, per the judges) on "American Idol" this week. The Beatles linked eight straight No. 1s on the Billboard 200:

Title, Year of Release
    "Beatles VI," 1965
    "Help!,"1965
    "Rubber Soul,"1965
    "'Yesterday'...and Today," 1966
    "Revolver," 1966
    "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," 1967
    "Magical Mystery Tour," 1967
    "The Beatles," 1968

In second place with five consecutive No. 1s are two groups and five males: Chicago, U2, DMX, Eminem, Jay-Z, Elton John and Paul McCartney. Of those acts, Eminem owns the only active streak. With a No. 1 outing on his next try, he would move within two of tying the Beatles' all-time mark for consecutive No. 1s on the Billboard 200.

Two women are tied with four No. 1s in-a-row, and each accomplished the feat with their first four chart entries. Britney Spears banked four toppers from 1999 through 2003, as did Alicia Keys from 2001 through 2007.
    It's good for DMB that they are the first in history, and when Eminem ties them later this year you can then say DMB are the only GROUP to have 6 consecutive studio albums debut at #1, but currently they are the only ARTIST period and I think they deserve that distinction for this amazing feat. However if you exclude the word studio then they are no longer on an active streak as they have numerous other RCA releases that did not even peak at #1, never mind debut.

Listener Supported, Live in Chicago, Folsom Field, Central Park and Gorge were all RCA releases for DMB, none of which peaked at #1 on Billboard. So it's not their 6th consecutive album, it's their 6th consecutive STUDIO album. That is why I bolded your statement recap as incorrect. The others are still considered albums you see.

Last edited by dobyblue; 09-20-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #35
    Bluecow2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's good for DMB that they are the first in history, and when Eminem ties them later this year you can then say DMB are the only GROUP to have 6 consecutive studio albums debut at #1, but currently they are the only ARTIST period and I think they deserve that distinction for this amazing feat. .
    So to be absolutely clear. When Billboard publishes an article saying they are the first GROUP in history to have 6 consecutive #1 albums.....I should discount them and believe they are wrong, because you apparently did a search of Billboards database and came to a seperate conclusion, and now pass it off as definitive fact?

I honestly don't care in the least...I just find your tone and need to repeatedly correct people (even with blatantly incorrect information) more than a little odd.
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #36
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So to be absolutely clear. When Billboard publishes an article saying they are the first GROUP in history to have 6 consecutive #1 albums.....I should discount them and believe they are wrong, because you apparently did a search of Billboards database and came to a seperate conclusion, and now pass it off as definitive fact?

I honestly don't care in the least...I just find your tone and need to repeatedly correct people (even with blatantly incorrect information) more than a little odd.
    So to be absolutely clear: The Beatles are not a group then is what you're saying? And those live releases are not considered albums? And now the other Billboard links I've posted for you are "blatantly incorrect information"?

Sure sounds like you care a little.

Last edited by dobyblue; 09-20-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
    Bluecow2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Listener Supported, Live in Chicago, Folsom Field, Central Park and Gorge were all RCA releases for DMB, none of which peaked at #1 on Billboard. So it's not their 6th consecutive album, it's their 6th consecutive STUDIO album. That is why I bolded your statement recap as incorrect. The others are still considered albums you see.
    Seriously, dump the high and mighty crap. This is a discussion of other people's data, not our own.

I did not say "Studio" album because I did not find it meaningful to state as much. I apologize for offending you, and would be happy to add "studio" to all further interpretations.

But that does not change the fact that Billboard and all other major publications note that 6 consecutive STUDIO albums is a record for a GROUP....not for an individual artist.

Are they wrong?

Last edited by Bluecow2; 09-20-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #38
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    - DMB is the first band of any country of origin to have 6 CONSECUTIVE #1 albums on the US billboard charts.
    Incorrect.

Quote:
    Correct. (and they are also the only artist to do it)

Can you see the difference?
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #39
    Bluecow2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So to be absolutely clear: The Beatles are not a group then is what you're saying? And those live releases are not considered albums? And now the other Billboard links I've posted for you are "blatantly incorrect information"?

Sure sounds like you care a little.
    I care because I really, really, don't like or understand your tone. Particularly you're inability to understand that it is not me making a judgement call here. It is not me interpreting data I find. It is me linking to articles and definitive statements.

Again, Billboard wrote this:
    "They are the only group to have six consecutive studio albums debut at No. 1"

New York Times wrote this:
    " It is the band’s sixth consecutive studio album to debut at No. 1, and the first time any group has achieved such a run"

So, am I clear to believe you are stating that based on billboard's database, Billboard and New York Times have their facts wrong?
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #40
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So, am I clear to believe you are stating that based on billboard's database, Billboard and New York Times have their facts wrong?
    Seems you missed post 38.
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #41
    Bluecow2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Incorrect.

The Studio album thing I completely understand, and I don't have an issue with you there. While I was not mistakenly leaving it off (I just felt it not relevant), but no problem...thanks for clarifying that fact to all.

However, why would Billboard so specifically note that they are the first GROUP ever, when it would have been a bigger and more impressive news story to state that they are the first artist ever to do so?

My belief is that there is something in their database that you are missing, that Billboard is not.
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #42
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Seriously, dump the high and mighty crap. This is a discussion of other people's data, not our own.

I did not say "Studio" album because I did not find it meaningful to state as much. I apologize for offending you, and would be happy to add "studio" to all further interpretations.
    You said consecutive #1 albums, so you missed not only "studio" but "debut" as well. If you're butthurt because you didn't even recap correctly that's none of my concern.
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #43
    Othello-5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Incorrect.

Do you work for the Guinness Record Books? Or are you just being a dick?

and yes, I can see the difference, I just don't know why I should care.
    Othello-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #44
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You said consecutive #1 albums, so you missed not only "studio" but "debut" as well. If you're butthurt because you didn't even recap correctly that's none of my concern.
    "Mr. Conrad, you are technically correct, the best kind of correct"

not really...you're just being a dick.
    Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #45
    Bluecow2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    OK, went back and read the whole thread...and I apologize. I thought you were the one making the comment about the record being only for American Bands, and so I thought you were defending that part of the statement, not simply pointing out the studio album discrepancy.

But....You still claim they are the first artist with that distinction? Any thoughts on why Billboard would specifically say group, and not the more impressive fact of them being the 1st artist of any kind?

Last edited by Bluecow2; 09-20-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    Old 09-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #46
    Bluecow2

My Tour Central Stats

Now I am honestly curious...

Is your calculation for DMB being the first artist ever with consecutive #1 studio albums, based on looking through that list of consecutive albums and pulling out live or soundtrack recordings?
    If so, then I am guessing the discrepancy lies in that there are other artists that have 6 or more consecutive #1 studio debuts, that had several other non #1s in the mix.
    Old 09-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #47
    dontburnthe_pig
    ja-nee

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Here's a few words from Bob Lefsetz about the album:

Quote:
    1. Dave Matthews Band "Away From The World"

Sales this week: 265,961
    Debut

It sounds like what once was. Before Dave took a detour, trying to become a hitmaker, when hits still mattered. And I do like "Everyday," but I prefer Dave's darker material, made from the left of center as opposed to the heart of the mainstream.

I really like "Mercy." We can debate whether it's a hit, but that would be missing the point, that would be believing in radio and the hit parade, both of which are fading in the rearview mirror, especially for Dave's fans.

Credit Steve Lillywhite. Back from banishment and into the fold. He created this sound, he was the one who captured it on wax, and stunningly, he's brought Dave back to the place he once was.

[In reference to 'Mercy'] Especially the instrumental ending. Great to see a band not worrying about the constraints, rather stretching out with all their ability.

And not only is "Away From The World" on Spotify, there's a special collection of Spotify live albums, recreating all of Dave's studio albums with pre-released live tracks. Some people realize the future is coming down the rails, others live in the past. If you're not on Spotify, you're just being ripped off on YouTube, where fans are placing your music and listening to it without you getting paid for these bootleg postings. And the audience has been trained to go to YouTube by a recalcitrant music business, so busy holding on to the past, afraid of the future, that it took too long to authorize Spotify and let YouTube take hold.

As for the decline from "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King"'s debut of 424,000, don't blame it on the music. Blame it on the aging audience. But blame it more on the death of the paradigm. Albums are a relic of a past generation. The audience has given up on them, it's the performers who are holding on to them, not the listeners.

But having put out new music, give Dave credit for playing it! I got an e-mail from the Hollywood Bowl show saying he played the entire new album, this reader was pissed.

But this is the way it used to be. When concert tickets were cheap. When acts weren't afraid of their audience. You'd buy the album to be prepared to go to the show. Granted, Dave only released this a day before the Bowl appearance, but the point remains... Don't put out new music unless you're willing to play it.
    dontburnthe_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #48
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Othello-5 View Post
    and yes, I can see the difference, I just don't know why I should care.
    You don't care about making incorrect statements, no big deal.

Quote:
    OK, went back and read the whole thread...and I apologize. I thought you were the one making the comment about the record being only for American Bands, and so I thought you were defending that part of the statement, not simply pointing out the studio album discrepancy.

But....You still claim they are the first artist with that distinction? Any thoughts on why Billboard would specifically say group, and not the more impressive fact of them being the 1st artist of any kind?
    I apologize for my butthurt comment, to be honest I can't stand that expression.

Perhaps they phrased it that way because they expect the "artist" distinction to be short-lived? I'm not sure if Eminem's album has a release date yet but I'm pretty sure it's not too far off and he will tie DMB as the only other artist to share the distinction.

Quote:
    Now I am honestly curious...

Is your calculation for DMB being the first artist ever with consecutive #1 studio albums, based on looking through that list of consecutive albums and pulling out live or soundtrack recordings?

If so, then I am guessing the discrepancy lies in that there are other artists that have 6 or more consecutive #1 studio debuts, that had several other non #1s in the mix.
    Can you list any that debuted at #1? I'd like to adjust the Wiki article if that's the case - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_200
    Old 09-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #49
    jas230314

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

How does it take this many fucking people to answer a question that has already been answered.

DMB is the FIRST band to have 6 consecutive albums to DEBUT at #1. Meaning, the week of release, it sold more copies than any other album. 270K records is pretty damn good these days, too. I didn't intend on buying it physically, but ended up with the CD and vinyl. ($10 at best buy for a clear double vinyl with album download... includes shipping. No lie. Have to order through an in-store kiosk).

Beatles had a lot of albums in the 60s hit #1, but not debut in that spot. Significant difference.

Frankly, for the years between DMB records (2002, 2005, 2008, 2012), to have none debut at anything other than #1 is an unbelievable achievement. They could have easily thrown in a couple half-assed records in there and they'd be at 7, 8 in a row.

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #50
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think you're getting much too caught up in semantics.

To what Jas said, the Beatles had 8 consecutive albums reach #1. That's the distinction between DMB's accomplishment (consecutive debuts) and The Beatles' accompishment (overall #1s, not just exclusively debuts).

Last edited by hmich176; 09-22-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #51
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You got way too caught up into the wording. They say group because they are a group. That doesn't mean they aren't the only artist. It be like saying sports team (x) has the highest monetary value of any team in the NFL. While stating that, it could also be true that sports team (x) has the highest monetary value of any team in professional sports.

Bottom line: doby never ever claimed they were incorrect. He just stated, using billboards own data, that the statement doesn't quite list how big of an accomplishment it actually is, peroid.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]

Last edited by DMBZeppelin; 09-22-2012 at 02:17 AM.
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #52
    Minarets2222

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jas230314 View Post
    How does it take this many fucking people to answer a question that has already been answered.

DMB is the FIRST band to have 6 consecutive albums to DEBUT at #1. Meaning, the week of release, it sold more copies than any other album. 270K records is pretty damn good these days, too. I didn't intend on buying it physically, but ended up with the CD and vinyl. ($10 at best buy for a clear double vinyl with album download... includes shipping. No lie. Have to order through an in-store kiosk).

Beatles had a lot of albums in the 60s hit #1, but not debut in that spot. Significant difference.

Frankly, for the years between DMB records (2002, 2005, 2008, 2012), to have none debut at anything other than #1 is an unbelievable achievement. They could have easily thrown in a couple half-assed records in there and they'd be at 7, 8 in a row.
    Just more evidence that our band is the biggest American rock band of the last 20 years.
    Minarets2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #53
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You don't care about making incorrect statements, no big deal.

I do care about being correct in most things, I just don't care in this instance because it's not that important (certainly not important enough to spend 10 posts correcting people). Also, you are a dick
    Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #54
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I do care about being correct in most things, I just don't care in this instance because it's not that important (certainly not important enough to spend 10 posts correcting people). Also, you are a dick

Need a bubba?
    Old 09-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #55
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Need a bubba?
    This is exactly why you are a dick. Also, Ron Paul is a raving lunatic...just sayin'
    Old 09-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #56
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is exactly why you are a dick. Also, Ron Paul is a raving lunatic...just sayin'
    Here's some good reading for you - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

hyp·o·crite
       [hip-uh-krit] Show IPA
    noun
    a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

(For context, see your first post in this thread)

Also Barritt Obamney is a raving lunatic who wants to strip you of all your civil liberties, good luck with that - http://www.naturalnews.com/036172_Pr...tt_Romney.html

I hope you don't allow yourself to celebrate Independence Day if you vote for one of those clowns, or perhaps you've just forgotten what it was about and think instead it's a celebration of the hot dog and lemonade?
    Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #57
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here's some good reading for you - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

hyp·o·crite
       [hip-uh-krit] Show IPA
    noun
    a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

(For context, see your first post in this thread)

Also Barritt Obamney is a raving lunatic who wants to strip you of all your civil liberties, good luck with that - http://www.naturalnews.com/036172_Pr...tt_Romney.html

I hope you don't allow yourself to celebrate Independence Day if you vote for one of those clowns, or perhaps you've just forgotten what it was about and think instead it's a celebration of the hot dog and lemonade?
    So, because I think you're a dick, and that Ron Paul is nuts, I can't also like good music and be sad that there is so little of it on the airwaves? Because being all of these things makes me a hypocrite? Or are you referring to some other "first post" and not backreading far enough?