Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
cdtotten
Warehouse Woo-er

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

DC Night 2

Here is my review for Night 2 at DC:

Ants Marching - Got the crowd going right for the start and a great way to start the show. Great energy and loved it.
#27 - Always have liked this song and no exception in the acoustic setting.
Sugar Man - I like the cover, but would rather have caught Minarets, which we didn't get at DC at all this year.
Recently - Awesome version and am glad to have heard it this year. Pretty pretty girl and take me to the river outros were awesome.
Stolen Away on 55th & 3rd - They took a terrible live song and made it respectable. I wish they would try this with some other songs and give it a shot. There is so much more they could do with this acoustic set.
So Damn Lucky - Always loved SDL and it sounds just as good acoustic. Tim's fills on the acoustic are much better than his electric fills, so it actually fits better for me in this setting. The Thank You outro drug out for a LONG time. Long enough that if this were in the electric set they might as well have played the damn song.
Lie in Our Graves - Sounded awesome as usual. Boyd was fighting the whole solo to not get out of his seat, but eventually had to do it because he couldn't contain himself any more. He absolutely destroyed this solo. I mean, there were no holes barred on this thing. Listen to the tapes or find a video, it was classic boyd at his finest. That being said, when the song was done and Boyd sat down... he was in extreme pain it appeared. His left hand was shaking so much I thought he was going to drop his bow and he could barely take a drink of water. He had to stare off into the distance and couldn't even talk for a while. You could even tell when Dave and Carter were trying to cheer for him he would eventually look up and give a nice little "smile" but there was definitely a lot of pain at the same time. I felt really bad for him after this. Luckily, Dave was oddly finishing the set with...
Rye Whiskey - Solo, Rye Whiskey. Huh. Ya, I don't get it either. You get the crowd going with an amazing LIOG and then you calm them all the way down with a solo Rye Whiskey. Dave even stated "now that everyone is all wound up, I'm going to slow things down to finish it up" or something along those lines.
-----------------------------------
Squirm - decent opener, got the crowd going.
Rooftop - one of the better AFTW live songs, so don't mind hearing it here.
One Sweet World - where has the intro gone? Like one sweet world, and the song placement is fine, but why has the intro to this song disappeared?
Kill the Preacher [tease] - meh
Why I Am - Sure, love the meaning behind the song, don't like the song though.
#41 - sounded perfect like always, but did they remove a solo or two? Specifically, Jeff's?
I Need a Word [tease] - lol, best part of the night. most people didn't catch it though.
Spaceman » - I don't mind spaceman, but it isn't my favorite. Rashawn nailed it like usual though.
Corn Bread - No terrible song gets a crowd going more than cornbread. Seriously, this was the biggest reaction of the night.
The Riff - Another TD and sounded fine. Always love the video in the background.
The Space Between - Rather have this E1, but sounded ok.
Jimi Thing - For the love of god put this song to rest. Has dave become so tired of it himself that he just won't sing the versus himself? Even worse, during the jam dave just walked off the stage for about 2 minutes. He took his guitar off, handed it to his tech and walked off. I assume it was a piss break.. but yea.
Don't Drink the Water - always solid and got the energy level sky high in the place. After the song was over, Carter's drum tech came out and started working on his tom with him... it appeared they weren't happy at all with something. They gave it about a minute or so of work and finally, moved on.
Everyday » - Another TD and a normal version. It was ok, just like every other version.
Ants Marching [fake] » Halloween - I don't think anyone thought we would actually hear ants again but as soon I heard the ants beat I knew Halloween was coming as ants fakes into Halloween have become pretty common in the past. Was a great version and a great way to finish the set.
-----------------------------------
Some Devil - solid version like always.
Granny - nice, 3 song encore and always love Granny. Gets the crowd going and building towards a huge finale. We already got slammed with SMLAM yesterday, so figured it had to be Grey Street.
Improv jam - just a little noodling.
Grey Street - standard version that sounded great like usual.

Show notes:
- Beach balls were fucking things up. People kept throwing them ON THE ACTUAL STAGE. During #27, someone almost knocked over dave's mic stand. Can we stop throwing them on stage people?
- Jeff was still turned way too far down. Could barely hear him half the time.
- Boyd was solid both nights - pleasant change from the past.
- Crowd was amazingly into it.

Oh, Deer Creek's security sucked ass by the way. Allowing people to go anywhere they wanted, stand in your seat and never moved them, etc. Was disappointed with that this year.
cdtotten is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DC Night 2

Nice review (both nights)! I get your tiring of Jimi, but listen to the crowd...they're not tired of it. So unfortunately for you, its overplaying is justifiable regardless of how many times we tire of seeing it pop up on our computer screens or mobile devices.

Wasn't your standard version of Everyday btw. Song intro'd with Dave singing a verse and chorus of #36. Then during the jam when he'd normally have done that in the song, he did some #36'esque scats.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
    cdtotten
    Warehouse Woo-er

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

That's right - what I get for righting the review way too late. Forgot all about the 36 intro to it... thanks for the reminder.
    cdtotten is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdtotten View Post
    That's right - what I get for righting the review way too late. Forgot all about the 36 intro to it... thanks for the reminder.

All good. I did like your review though!
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
    kbunch

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Not quite as burnt on Jimi Thing as I am DDTW.. It was played at 7 straight shows I saw, for a total of 8 out of my 11.. 6 of them the opener, like the song but damn.

Also a Louisville Ant here, represent!

Last edited by kbunch; 07-08-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    kbunch is offline   Reply With Quote