Wedding Planning Stuff - Page 20 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #571
GSUdawg521
hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Wedding Planning Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
I see it played on the beach a ton and at tailgates. Must be more of a Southern thing
Yeah when we went to DMB at Lakewood, I didn't bring frisbeer because it just requires space and you can easily overthrow a frisbee. I was like, I need a game that's got a smaller footprint. I completely forgot I'd made myself that set of washers
GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #572
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

washers is fun but it is a lot harder than bags.

The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think and the more anxiously I inquire; the less I seem to know.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #573
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    washers is fun but it is a lot harder than bags.
    For sure. And literally too. We played at my in-laws' house with some friends a few weeks ago. I threw one that bounced off the side and nailed my wife's solo cup, causing it to explode out of her hand. Looked like someone shot it with a rifle

But then as she was bending down to pick it up, a few feet away from the board, the other guy next to me threw one that bounced off the center bucket and hit her in the forehead just above the eye. That was the end of the night for her.
    Old 06-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #574
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

RSVP's are coming back right now and I am loving our low acceptance rate. I have a ton of out of town poor family so I'm not surprised. We should be on the low end of what we wanted for guests which means saving $$$ and providing a better party for the people that do show up.

We also got offered a free upgrade to a bigger space because there is another party that wants our cocktail room. $4,600 value for free. I told the fiancee we should do it so long as we don't spend more on decorations. Excited for that.

The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think and the more anxiously I inquire; the less I seem to know.
    Old 06-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #575
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

We're doing 1920s / Great Gatsby style decorations...wonder how much the decorations and setup will cost. Hmm.

Food is the next big item on the agenda. Apparently it is standard to do some type of tasting with your vendor to pick it out?

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2016, 05:48 AM   #576
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    We're doing 1920s / Great Gatsby style decorations...wonder how much the decorations and setup will cost. Hmm.

Food is the next big item on the agenda. Apparently it is standard to do some type of tasting with your vendor to pick it out?
    Decorations/set up all depends on your fiancee. You can do Great Gatsby style on the cheap or it can cost a million dollars. That's the way it is with everything with a wedding.

Correct on the food. If you are having it at a traditional wedding reception venue (hotel, golf course) you should do a tasting about 4-5 months before the wedding usually.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:48 AM   #577
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

yeah I mean that's a free meal and you choose what's going on with your wedding menu so you gotta do that
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2016, 05:49 AM   #578
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

They had booze, appetizers, and meals to try at ours. It was great. Drinking wine at 10:30 in the morning.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #579
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post

Fuck yeah! Our place was a little different than the norm because it's a golf resoert/gated community with its own restaurants, one of which was our specific venue. So when we went in one weekend for the full tour, they basically just had us to dinner and had the chef cook up nearly every appetizer we could choose from (must've been around 8), all 3 of the entrees we were going to offer (plated dinner), and several different desserts even though we were doing a cake. They even brought us the salad they were gonna do and my wife kinda gave her ideas on what she'd like the salad to be. They were like okay, one sec, went back and custom made it. And that became our salad Drinks and everything, all gratis. It was the best experience.
    Old 06-30-2016, 06:20 AM   #580
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

We have our tasting in a few weeks, we get to try every single dish they offer, even the ones that are above and beyond our selected price bracket. Very excited to try the food, we've heard really good things about it.

A week from Saturday will be our 3-month mark. Still gotta get our wedding bands and book a videographer. What's everyone's thoughts on a video guy? We're already paying a lot for pictures, I think the video is a cool touch for not that much more money ($700-$1000 from what I've seen), but my fiancee is pretty down on it. If anyone has gotten one, do you feel it was worth it?
    Old 06-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #581
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

we did not have a videographer and I have never once regretted it, for whatever that's worth
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #582
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

We did not, but I'm not down on the idea. We just didn't think it was a necessary expense. A friend of ours showed us theirs and it was pretty cool though. We're pretty happy with our photography that's now sitting in various photo books around our parents' and grandparents' homes, eventually ours, and then we'll have some framed and on our walls whenever we get around to it. I do feel like with a video, you hafta go a bit more out of your way to watch it versus just having pictures around like that. I have a Bar Mitzvah video and that rarely got watched But again, I don't dislike the idea.

We had a friend film our ceremony on an HD camera just from a tripod at the back of the seating area. Nothing special. Just enough to rewatch it shortly after the wedding with our parents, since you feel like you were too caught up in the day.
    Old 06-30-2016, 06:40 AM   #583
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

No videographer here. Having my bro in law film stuff on his go pro. My dad has a drone so we might get some video/shots with that outside. Our ceremony venue can see the lakes in the distance so if the drone gets up in the air that'll be a cool shot.

Our photographer does small videos (like 3-10 seconds) throughout the day and incorporates them in the slideshow. So that's good enough for me. No interest in paying for a videographer.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #584
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

No videographer here. Didn't think it was necessary as we'd never watch it again. Aside from a few I have hanging, I haven't even looked at a wedding photo in years. I booked a digital only photographer and made my own books / prints. Happy with that decision.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #585
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

no videographer at ours, though a few people had gopros/handheld video cameras and nearly 3 years later we're still "waiting" on the finished product .

my bro-in-law just got married about a month ago. they dropped a couple thousand bucks on a videographer, and while the finished product looks great, the guy was a douche on the day-of. during the wedding "prep" times, ie when we're all getting dressed and what not, he made both bride and groom repeat several scenes just to get the right shot. like when the b&g exchanged gifts, he had the middle man present the gift several times. it loses a lot of luster when you have to pretend like you're opening a gift for the first time.

during the reception, he told the bride she couldnt do a scene with her dad cause of poor lighting. she basically told him to fuck off and that she was going to do it anyways

if you get a videographer, great, but make sure the person is not a Steven Spielberg wannabe
    Old 06-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #586
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

We are checking out a photographer Saturday. We are seeing prices anywhere from $1400 to $7900 just for photographer. Can't see any justification for spending that high end after looking at samples, seems to be more "established brand name" in the area premium rather than paying for more quality.

We are heavily considering video after seeing others online. Some I like, some I dont. Too much talking boring. Maybe 5-10 second videos interspersed into a slides how would be up our alley. I think I like that. And set to music.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 06-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #587
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Never popped in this thread. Getting married at the end of april. We just got an email today that our food tasting is in September, woo!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #588
    Klize17

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

Doing a destination wedding in Savannah in April 2017. Found a place called The Whitman. We are staying there for 4 days 3 nights, having the ceremony and reception there as well. They have an executive chef who provides the food. We haven't decided on food yet, kind of depends on how many people are able to come. We are inviting 90 but expecting between 55-65.

Hired a couple of guys to play acoustic guitar for the ceremony and cocktail hour and then they will DJ the reception. Got the photographer squared away. Working on Floral and Cake now. Flowers are damn expensive.
    Klize17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #589
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Doing a destination wedding in Savannah in April 2017. Found a place called The Whitman. We are staying there for 4 days 3 nights, having the ceremony and reception there as well. They have an executive chef who provides the food. We haven't decided on food yet, kind of depends on how many people are able to come. We are inviting 90 but expecting between 55-65.

Hired a couple of guys to play acoustic guitar for the ceremony and cocktail hour and then they will DJ the reception. Got the photographer squared away. Working on Floral and Cake now. Flowers are damn expensive.
    Check out sam's club. You can buy in bulk or choose sets they offer. Fiancee could explain it much better but its saving us a bunch of money as opposed to using a florist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #590
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Check out sam's club. You can buy in bulk or choose sets they offer. Fiancee could explain it much better but its saving us a bunch of money as opposed to using a florist.
    Thank you for this tip. Would never have thought of them.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 06-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #591
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

You only need to video what happens on your wedding night AMIRITE?
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #592
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Oooooohhhhh boyyyyyy, my fiancee just had her first real wedding freakout this morning. We're about 3 months out and basically have everything wrapped up, invitations and ordering our wedding rings are the last major things left to do. She's been so chill and levelheaded about everything so far, but we had a little bump in the road with our invites (can't get the exact color combo she wanted) and all hell broke loose. #pray4Stengs
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #593
    swordo84
    . .

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

No one remembers or keeps the invitations anyway.
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #594
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swordo84 View Post
    Oh, don't worry, this only added more fuel to the fire when I mentioned this
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #595
    swordo84
    . .

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Oh, don't worry, this only added more fuel to the fire when I mentioned this
    Never add fuel to a bridal fire.
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #596
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oooooohhhhh boyyyyyy, my fiancee just had her first real wedding freakout this morning. We're about 3 months out and basically have everything wrapped up, invitations and ordering our wedding rings are the last major things left to do. She's been so chill and levelheaded about everything so far, but we had a little bump in the road with our invites (can't get the exact color combo she wanted) and all hell broke loose. #pray4Stengs
    #Tees&Pees

Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #597
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

color combo

when I get married im gonna make the invitations myself
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #598
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    color combo

when I get married im gonna make the invitations myself
    Yeah, we thought we were going to try to do them ourselves, it's a lot harder than you'd imagine. I suppose I feel this way because my bride had a very specific idea in mind that turned out to not be possible. She wanted navy blue carstock with gold foil writing. Apparently that's impossible to print for every single printer online or locally. She had already had them mocked up and fell in love with the design, so she's disappointed that it's not going to happen. Oh well.
    Old 07-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #599
    redsox14

Shows Seen: 102

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swordo84 View Post
    I actually have kept some but only with the purpose of using them for ideas someday. Then I can throw em out LOL

Jen
    redsox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #600
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, we thought we were going to try to do them ourselves, it's a lot harder than you'd imagine. I suppose I feel this way because my bride had a very specific idea in mind that turned out to not be possible. She wanted navy blue carstock with gold foil writing. Apparently that's impossible to print for every single printer online or locally. She had already had them mocked up and fell in love with the design, so she's disappointed that it's not going to happen. Oh well.
    ahh i see. yeah, a LOT of girls have a very set idea of how they want particular things done for their wedding

me personally, i literally have no idea. like, i don't think i have a preference if i have a catholic wedding in a church or not
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote