Official 24 Discussion (Greatest Show Ever) - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > Chat Threads

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-21-2003, 09:12 AM   #31
DMBeener
gottahava

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
It's intense - they have great episode endings - and they've gotten so good with it, where you even get fired up at commercial breaks as well... That alone makes this one of the most unique and exciting dramas ever to grace television.
I've gotten my dad into the show now...he got confused by the ticking clock at first (he's used to watching CSI-type shows), but after I explained, he know loves it too. The commercial breaks are so intense...all the "whatifs" come into play and it's time to discuss what's gonna happen.

That last statement you made that I quoted was said perfectly. The real time format makes the show that much better and that much more intense.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-21-2003, 09:13 AM   #32
    Mark

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

what clock?
    Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:16 AM   #33
    DMBeener
    gottahava

My Tour Central Stats

Since the show is in real time format, right as the show is about to go to commercial, there's a clock that shows the time (like 1:16:37) relative to the episode. It ticks a few times and then fades to commercial. Then when the commercials are over, the clock ticks a few times again and then it goes back to the show.

Commercials usually have cliffhangers that make you go hmmm for a few minutes.

Hopefully that made sense...
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:16 AM   #34
    JonTheRvelator
    You Said Always

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by Mark
    what clock?

You've got a long way to go young patawan...

"It Is better to destroy than to create something insignificant" -Federico Fellini

Shows Attended.
    JonTheRvelator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:21 AM   #35
    malonestar
    mises.org

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Remember the end of S1? "If you kill me, you won't know who I work for. You think I work for the Drazen's, but I don't."
    That's what I'm still hung up on. Someone keeps demanding to me that she was "working" for Joseph Wald (from S2) but it seemed to me that she was just freelancing and selling him information. I don't think that equates to "working" for him - at least from the tone it was delivered in at the end of season 1.

I really don't have any expectations for Season 3. Not because I don't care, just because I haven't had much time to think about it. In fact, I don't even think I've seen a preview yet. All I know is that I can't wait for it to start. 1 week to go.
    malonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:22 AM   #36
    malonestar
    mises.org

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by Mark
    what clock?
    See avatar
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:26 AM   #37
    Matt

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by malonestar
    That's what I'm still hung up on. Someone keeps demanding to me that she was "working" for Joseph Wald (from S2) but it seemed to me that she was just freelancing and selling him information. I don't think that equates to "working" for him - at least from the tone it was delivered in at the end of season 1.

I really don't have any expectations for Season 3. Not because I don't care, just because I haven't had much time to think about it. In fact, I don't even think I've seen a preview yet. All I know is that I can't wait for it to start. 1 week to go.
    She definitely wasn't working for Wald. You're absolutely correct in your assumption - she's a freelancer, but she's from a higher-up organization.

How great was it in S2 when Wald tells Jack, "I only met her twice." I mean, at that point you obviously know who he's talking about, but it still gave me a rush.
    Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:29 AM   #38
    malonestar
    mises.org

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    She definitely wasn't working for Wald. You're absolutely correct in your assumption - she's a freelancer, but she's from a higher-up organization.

How great was it in S2 when Wald tells Jack, "I only met her twice." I mean, at that point you obviously know who he's talking about, but it still gave me a rush.

And how about when they finally revealed her face on the monitor in the holding room at CTU. Good stuff.
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:31 AM   #39
    Matt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And how about when they finally revealed her face on the monitor in the holding room at CTU. Good stuff.
    So many great emotional parts to S2 that all come together due to the character development that carries over from S1. When Palmer grants Nina the pardon for the murder of Jack Bauer, the level of emotion and mutual respect, over the phone no less, between Jack and Palmer is amazing.
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:31 AM   #40
    JonTheRvelator
    You Said Always

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My favorite part of that whole season was when we found out the was Victor Drazen, that mad me stand up off the couch!

"It Is better to destroy than to create something insignificant" -Federico Fellini

Shows Attended.
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:32 AM   #41
    Mark

My Tour Central Stats

damn you guys! now i am going to have to make time to watch the series. grrr... this reading the episode guide just isn't the same.
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:33 AM   #42
    JonTheRvelator
    You Said Always

My Tour Central Stats

Matt which is better?

S1? or S2?

Shows Attended.
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #43
    Matt

My Tour Central Stats

I'm telling you Mark, if you can find the time, do it. Greatest TV show ever.
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:35 AM   #44
    Mark

My Tour Central Stats

yeah. i will have to watch it on the weekend
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #45
    Matt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by JonTheRvelator
    Matt which is better?

S1? or S2?
    Overall, I'd have to give the nod to S1. Originality is always a factor when comparing the first two seasons of a show, but beyond that, the plot was so well done, so perfectly interwoven and balanced, with great heros and villains alike, that it just shined. S2 was spectacular as well, don't get me wrong, and it was definitely more intense than S1. However, the filler Kim subplot dragged it down a bit. If I had to rate the seasons out of 10, I'd give S1 a 10 and S2 a 9.5.
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:38 AM   #46
    The Sean
    mmmmm ribs

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

i borrowed S1 dvd from my friend and watched it over the summer. that was awesome. i watched most of S2 on tv but i missed some episodes. but that show is so freakin awesome...i dont watch too much tv here in college, but this is one show i will make time for.
    The Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:38 AM   #47
    JonTheRvelator
    You Said Always

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Overall, I'd have to give the nod to S1. Originality is always a factor when comparing the first two seasons of a show, but beyond that, the plot was so well done, so perfectly interwoven and balanced, with great heros and villains alike, that it just shined. S2 was spectacular as well, don't get me wrong, and it was definitely more intense than S1. However, the filler Kim subplot dragged it down a bit. If I had to rate the seasons out of 10, I'd give S1 a 10 and S2 a 9.5.
    Well said. I think the 2nd season was totally taken down by the sub-plot of Kim. The show didn't suffer from it too much though.
    Which to me shows its durability when it comes to longevity and script writing.

Shows Attended.
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:53 AM   #48
    The Sean
    mmmmm ribs

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

decided i can make myself an original avatar
    The Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:55 AM   #49
    malonestar
    mises.org

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    See avatar
    Speaking of my avatar, are there times where any of you notice the frames not advancing? I notice it all the time. I wonder if it's a bug in IE, or a bug in the actual .gif I made.
    Old 10-21-2003, 09:59 AM   #50
    Matt

My Tour Central Stats

It's not a big in the .gif - must be an IE thing.

Man I can't wait for this season. I'm also super glad that they didn't kill off Palmer.

I always watched it w/ my friends down at college before I graduated, and when the finale of S2 was over we just looked at eachother in shock.

I was reading an interview w/ Kiefer Sutherland a couple of days ago, and him being one of the show's producers, actually suggested to the production team that if they really wanted to jar the audience, kill Jack. The rest of the group laughed at him - but he does have a point. Now note that I think 24 isn't 24 without Kiefer as Jack, but it would be a move that would stay true to the show's "no character is guaranteed" attitude.

Disclaimer: They better not do that.
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:01 AM   #51
    Dancing Ants
    seeplymouth

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

*S1 and S2 SPOILERS*

here's my take on the whole "secret organization" that is behind everything....it's the government. that would be explosive, for jack to find out that he's been working to stop something that employs him. the government is doing this to keep the public's attention or something..i think we saw hints of it last season, when we learned about the Oil Guy and his plans to start a MidEast war. I think the Oil Guy works for the US Government, as does Palmer's assassin.

*END*
    Dancing Ants is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:10 AM   #52
    Matt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by Dancing Ants
    *S1 and S2 SPOILERS*

here's my take on the whole "secret organization" that is behind everything....it's the government. that would be explosive, for jack to find out that he's been working to stop something that employs him. the government is doing this to keep the public's attention or something..i think we saw hints of it last season, when we learned about the Oil Guy and his plans to start a MidEast war. I think the Oil Guy works for the US Government, as does Palmer's assassin.

*END*
    VERY interesting theories. Brings up some great points. I was trying to get a feel for the landscape around Max when he was on the boat - or his superior when he was eating on the phone - but I couldn't make out where they possibly were.

What's weird is that Mandy's attempted assassination of Palmer was the result of "Plan B starts today." Now that was freaky. They basically have a running start going into S3, I just hope they don't drop it completely and carry on with a completely new and unrelated plot.

Kingsley might have very well worked for the government, but wouldn't somebody have heard of him? Maybe not - so that's very possible - but I think it was Kingsley who was contracted out by the "masterminds" to make sure the U.S. went to war against three innocent countries, damaging the U.S. reputation and tearing our country apart, all while paying Peter a little compensation for his troubles.

I think we can look to this higher organization, if it isn't our own government, as a multi-pronged terror group with a wide reach of ideas and means to execute them.

The Drazens obviously had ties to this group, so when they approached the group with their plans for Palmer and Bauer, the group connected the Drazens with Nina for inside intel.

Just my ideas.
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:11 AM   #53
    JonTheRvelator
    You Said Always

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by Dancing Ants
    *S1 and S2 SPOILERS*

*END*
    Its totally gonna be the goverment...

Shows Attended.
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:14 AM   #54
    Dancing Ants
    seeplymouth

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    VERY interesting theories. Brings up some great points. I was trying to get a feel for the landscape around Max when he was on the boat - or his superior when he was eating on the phone - but I couldn't make out where they possibly were.

What's weird is that Mandy's attempted assassination of Palmer was the result of "Plan B starts today." Now that was freaky. They basically have a running start going into S3, I just hope they don't drop it completely and carry on with a completely new and unrelated plot.

Kingsley might have very well worked for the government, but wouldn't somebody have heard of him? Maybe not - so that's very possible - but I think it was Kingsley who was contracted out by the "masterminds" to make sure the U.S. went to war against three innocent countries, damaging the U.S. reputation and tearing our country apart, all while paying Peter a little compensation for his troubles.

I think we can look to this higher organization, if it isn't our own government, as a multi-pronged terror group with a wide reach of ideas and means to execute them.

The Drazens obviously had ties to this group, so when they approached the group with their plans for Palmer and Bauer, the group connected the Drazens with Nina for inside intel.

Just my ideas.
    Matt, have you checked out the new TV Guide for this week? It's got some good stuff in it...I *think* I read that they do keep it all connected. I don't have my TVGuide with me right now, so I can't comfirm it..
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:15 AM   #55
    JonTheRvelator
    You Said Always

My Tour Central Stats

That cover says "The President is Sick" I wonder what that means?

Shows Attended.

Last edited by JonTheRvelator; 10-21-2003 at 10:16 AM.
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:17 AM   #56
    Dancing Ants
    seeplymouth

My Tour Central Stats

Kingsley also may be using an alias.
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:18 AM   #57
    malonestar
    mises.org

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Kingsley might have very well worked for the government, but wouldn't somebody have heard of him?
    Totally off topic, but has anyone ever been curious about a link between Maria Kingsley from S1 and Kingsley from S2? Recall Maria K. was the news reporter that was going to break the story about Keith.

I've always been curious. Why use the same character name in both season? Strange.
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:18 AM   #58
    Dancing Ants
    seeplymouth

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by JonTheRvelator
    That cover says "The President is Sick" I wonder what that means?
    in the Guide, it says that he has some scars and *muscle control problems..or something like arthritis.

*i think
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #59
    Dancing Ants
    seeplymouth

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Totally off topic, but has anyone ever been curious about a link between Maria Kingsley from S1 and Kingsley from S2? Recall Maria K. was the news reporter that was going to break the story about Keith.

I've always been curious. Why use the same character name in both season? Strange.
    THAT is weird. probably just a coincidence...but who knows..maybe not.
    Old 10-21-2003, 10:34 AM   #60
    DMBeener
    gottahava

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I too have been curious about this...I kinda think they're connected.