Favorite beer of choice? - Page 1000 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-20-2017, 04:36 AM   #29971
cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Favorite beer of choice?

cpxc

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #29972
    myersk27

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    ISO myersk
    what's the name of the beer?
    Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #29973
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

MBB participants will be messaged shortly with your target. Reminder, you do not send a box until you receive the box. I'll work on getting the first one out this week.

I was not able to fit TheLastPig in on this round due to lack of people west of Ohio. Sorry.
    Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #29974
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

all MBB participants have been messaged as to their targets. The first box will hopefully go out in the next day or two. It will go....shockingly.....east. To a state I've not been to in a long long time.
    Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #29975
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks Kevin!
    Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #29976
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wish we had time to go to Canton instead of Boston, i couldnt believe how small it was there
    yeah unless you live in boston, I don't get why you'd go there over Canton
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #29977
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krecster23 View Post
    Hit up Trillium Canton yesterday. Got a bunch of cans and had some pours on site. Such a nice facility.
    I'll take all of the Trillium..........k thanks
    Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #29978
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you Kevin. Looking forward to it.
    Old 02-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #29979
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Trillium Canton really is a great spot. Love it.
    Say a prayer for my soul señorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #29980
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

MBB Participants. I have been asked via PM about shipping beer and so wanted to give a quick rundown on how to do this as there are people who are less experienced and we want to ensure that everyone has a smooth experience.

First, I am starting this thing off with a styrofoam wine bottle shipper. This way, the bottles/cans will remain upright through their journey and will have less risk of breakage. This styro shipper SHOULD survive through all targets. When packing your beers it is best practice to place them in a ziploc bag (air squeezed out) and then wrap with one layer of thin bubble wrap. Place the beer in a slot in the shipper. Add newspaper around the beer to reduce the amount of wiggle the beer has in the shipper slot. Repeat the process for the remaining beers you have. Once you have packed all the beers you are sending, put the top of the shipper over the beers and tape up the box. I recommend clear plastic packing tape.

Next go to either ups.com or fedex.com and create a shipping label. There are options on both sites to create a one-time label using a credit/debit card. All you need to put in is your address for return, the receivers address, and the weight of the box. If you don't know the weight, guess. Essentially what happens is if you over guess you'll get a slight shipping refund and if you under guess you will get charged a bit more....either charge will hit once the shipment is delivered successfully. You do not need to know the box dimensions. You will want to choose either UPS ground or Fedex Home Delivery as your shipping method. It's pretty easy to create a label online and I suggest doing so because when you do this and tape the label on to the box, you will rarely/if ever be questioned by a worker at the drop-off location......just walk-in, put the box on the counter, tell a worker the box is good to go with label and leave the store. DO NOT TELL THEM THERE IS BEER IN THE BOX. Shipping beer is actually illegal and if you get busted you will receive a terse letter from the company telling you to not do it again. If they do ask what you are shipping, let them know that you make homemade soda and you are sending some to a friend.....or tell them you are a scientist and they are yeast samples you're sending to a friend.....or maybe you have an emerging maple syrup company and you're sending out test batches to some friends.......whatever.....just don't tell them it's alcohol. Once the box is dropped off it is good to go.

With regards to packing the glass...I recommend stuffing the glass with newspaper and wrapping it in bubble wrap and placing it in the shipper. I also recommend stuffing newspaper in the top portion of the shipper for the glassware slot.

Additionally, don't be afraid to throw a few strips of tape on the bottom of the box to ensure there are no problems on the bottom. As the box ages it will degrade and may become problematic. The wine shipper, however, will be fine. To improve the integrity of the box sometimes I tape the thing all the way around the sides in order to make it tighter. If the structural integrity of the box is totally compromised, you will need to find another box and pack the wine shipper inside it before sending out your beer to your target.

If at any point you have questions about shipping beer, please post here or message me directly. I'm happy to help explain the process because I want this to go well.

Another tip is to write the tracking number on the box. Sometimes labels come off and it is handy to have that written just in case the label gets ripped off. I highly recommend taping the label to the box instead of using a UPS or FedEx label jacket because those can be peeled off the box much easier than if it were taped. Put the label on the top of the box as well.

Finally, once the first package has been delivered....I will ask that person to post pictures here of how the box was packed. This should help provide a visual for those who haven't done this before.

Any questions....please let me know. Also, if you have other tips please feel free to share them as well.
    Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #29981
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I go on vacation for one week and miss the first MBB in ages. Ugh! Enjoy fellas!

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #29982
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Don't pull a Russo and post to IG before Ants...

Old 02-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #29983
    krecster23
    Kevin

Shows Seen: 132

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Really hoping to hit Canton in April. Heard great things. From a stock stand point, how much did they have?
    They had 4 canned beers available and limits were still at 1 case per brand. From what I could see they had a decent amount. Had maybe 8-9 beers available for growler fills and 1 bottled beer too. Seemed like a small handful of people were buying anywhere near the limit.

Ex. I bought 1.5 cases and it was $187. 2 hoppy cases from the alchemist is $162ish. So trillium is a decent amount more, but I love their beer.

2022Tour: Mansfield, Hartford, Alpine, SPAC, and Gorge
    krecster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #29984
    krecster23
    Kevin

Shows Seen: 132

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myersk27 View Post
    I'll take all of the Trillium..........k thanks
    Some of it will be in my MBB box.

2022Tour: Mansfield, Hartford, Alpine, SPAC, and Gorge
    krecster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #29985
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what's the name of the beer?
    Freeman, Smoldering Holes, Endless Bummer
    Old 02-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #29986
    SomeDo
    Some people do

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    MBB Participants. I have been asked via PM about shipping beer and so wanted to give a quick rundown on how to do this as there are people who are less experienced and we want to ensure that everyone has a smooth experience.

First, I am starting this thing off with a styrofoam wine bottle shipper. This way, the bottles/cans will remain upright through their journey and will have less risk of breakage. This styro shipper SHOULD survive through all targets. When packing your beers it is best practice to place them in a ziploc bag (air squeezed out) and then wrap with one layer of thin bubble wrap. Place the beer in a slot in the shipper. Add newspaper around the beer to reduce the amount of wiggle the beer has in the shipper slot. Repeat the process for the remaining beers you have. Once you have packed all the beers you are sending, put the top of the shipper over the beers and tape up the box. I recommend clear plastic packing tape.

Next go to either ups.com or fedex.com and create a shipping label. There are options on both sites to create a one-time label using a credit/debit card. All you need to put in is your address for return, the receivers address, and the weight of the box. If you don't know the weight, guess. Essentially what happens is if you over guess you'll get a slight shipping refund and if you under guess you will get charged a bit more....either charge will hit once the shipment is delivered successfully. You do not need to know the box dimensions. You will want to choose either UPS ground or Fedex Home Delivery as your shipping method. It's pretty easy to create a label online and I suggest doing so because when you do this and tape the label on to the box, you will rarely/if ever be questioned by a worker at the drop-off location......just walk-in, put the box on the counter, tell a worker the box is good to go with label and leave the store. DO NOT TELL THEM THERE IS BEER IN THE BOX. Shipping beer is actually illegal and if you get busted you will receive a terse letter from the company telling you to not do it again. If they do ask what you are shipping, let them know that you make homemade soda and you are sending some to a friend.....or tell them you are a scientist and they are yeast samples you're sending to a friend.....or maybe you have an emerging maple syrup company and you're sending out test batches to some friends.......whatever.....just don't tell them it's alcohol. Once the box is dropped off it is good to go.

With regards to packing the glass...I recommend stuffing the glass with newspaper and wrapping it in bubble wrap and placing it in the shipper. I also recommend stuffing newspaper in the top portion of the shipper for the glassware slot.

Additionally, don't be afraid to throw a few strips of tape on the bottom of the box to ensure there are no problems on the bottom. As the box ages it will degrade and may become problematic. The wine shipper, however, will be fine. To improve the integrity of the box sometimes I tape the thing all the way around the sides in order to make it tighter. If the structural integrity of the box is totally compromised, you will need to find another box and pack the wine shipper inside it before sending out your beer to your target.

If at any point you have questions about shipping beer, please post here or message me directly. I'm happy to help explain the process because I want this to go well.

Another tip is to write the tracking number on the box. Sometimes labels come off and it is handy to have that written just in case the label gets ripped off. I highly recommend taping the label to the box instead of using a UPS or FedEx label jacket because those can be peeled off the box much easier than if it were taped. Put the label on the top of the box as well.

Finally, once the first package has been delivered....I will ask that person to post pictures here of how the box was packed. This should help provide a visual for those who haven't done this before.

Any questions....please let me know. Also, if you have other tips please feel free to share them as well.

This should be fun!
    SomeDo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 AM   #29987
    BrettG19DMBFan

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have any extra other half DDH Brocolli?
    BrettG19DMBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2017, 05:52 AM   #29988
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Freeman, Smoldering Holes, Endless Bummer
    haven't heard of them at all.....I'll see if anyone in my beer group has.
    Old 02-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #29989
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They had 4 canned beers available and limits were still at 1 case per brand. From what I could see they had a decent amount. Had maybe 8-9 beers available for growler fills and 1 bottled beer too. Seemed like a small handful of people were buying anywhere near the limit.

Ex. I bought 1.5 cases and it was $187. 2 hoppy cases from the alchemist is $162ish. So trillium is a decent amount more, but I love their beer.
    last time I was there it was 2 4pk pp

usually I see them post online atleast 4 pp
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #29990
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Thanks for the info and pricing. I know that Trillium runs about $20 per 4-pack for most of their beers now, so a case is going to run in the $120 range. I may get more then usual if I can get up there because, as you said, their beer is great. Plus it has good value when trading and sought after.
    Old 02-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #29991
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks for the info and pricing. I know that Trillium runs about $20 per 4-pack for most of their beers now, so a case is going to run in the $120 range. I may get more then usual if I can get up there because, as you said, their beer is great. Plus it has good value when trading and sought after.

call me old school....call me foolish....but I've never considered a beers "value" as part of a reason for purchasing it. To me, if i'm going to trade a beer I'm just looking for something cool to try in return or to go $4$ with other things that are local to that person. A couple of months ago I traded a barrel aged dark lord for $50 worth of florida beers...Funky Buddha and Cigar City stuff. The people who look to get "value" for their beer would have told me that my barrel aged dark lord was "worth" hundreds of dollars......but it's just a beer. I paid $50 for it....just let me get back what I paid for it. I've run into this value stuff on trading forums and it makes trading not fun for me. I enjoy just trading beer and sending someone something they haven't had or don't have access to and receiving back things that I'm interested in and/or don't have access to. To me that's more fun than trying to consider whether or not I'm getting the best value. Seems I'm in the minority with it all though now.....trading is a lot different than it was 7-8 years ago. For sure.

just my opinion about it.....not that anyone asked for it
    Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #29992
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I think I prefer Trillium over Tree House at this point.....they are killing it. Had some TrillBOMB! over the weekend and it was very well done.
    Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #29993
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    call me old school....call me foolish....but I've never considered a beers "value" as part of a reason for purchasing it. To me, if i'm going to trade a beer I'm just looking for something cool to try in return or to go $4$ with other things that are local to that person. A couple of months ago I traded a barrel aged dark lord for $50 worth of florida beers...Funky Buddha and Cigar City stuff. The people who look to get "value" for their beer would have told me that my barrel aged dark lord was "worth" hundreds of dollars......but it's just a beer. I paid $50 for it....just let me get back what I paid for it. I've run into this value stuff on trading forums and it makes trading not fun for me. I enjoy just trading beer and sending someone something they haven't had or don't have access to and receiving back things that I'm interested in and/or don't have access to. To me that's more fun than trying to consider whether or not I'm getting the best value. Seems I'm in the minority with it all though now.....trading is a lot different than it was 7-8 years ago. For sure.

just my opinion about it.....not that anyone asked for it
    You are correct, I do thank you for the comments/post and I used value incorrectly in my post. What I meant in using value was that I know people would be happy to get it in a package. Not 'I better get back something good for this beer'. I really don't give a fuck what someone sends me. I am more appreciative that they took the time and effort to make it happen.

Like you, I trade what I have and look for something different or that I can't get. I have never compare dollar for dollar on any trade, ever. I pack up what someone requests, send it out and something will come back, sometime, with some good brew. I even take beer to people local and just give them beer to enjoy it. The local bar I go to, I will bring in a mixed 4-packs for the people that work there from time to time to enjoy. It is just beer, enjoy it.
    Old 02-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #29994
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You are correct, I do thank you for the comments/post and I used value incorrectly in my post. What I meant in using value was that I know people would be happy to get it in a package. Not 'I better get back something good for this beer'. I really don't give a fuck what someone sends me. I am more appreciative that they took the time and effort to make it happen.

Like you, I trade what I have and look for something different or that I can't get. I have never compare dollar for dollar on any trade, ever. I pack up what someone requests, send it out and something will come back, sometime, with some good brew. I even take beer to people local and just give them beer to enjoy it. The local bar I go to, I will bring in a mixed 4-packs for the people that work there from time to time to enjoy. It is just beer, enjoy it.
    agreed. Beer is more fun that way for me....and those who take that perspective. unfortunately there are soooooo many people out there who really do focus on "value" and try to squeeze as much as they possibly can out of their beers. I get it...and I understand why they do it....but it's just not the way I roll. Glad i misinterpreted your use of value.....
    Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #29995
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

I mean, I do consider 'value' when it comes to how much I plan on getting. May not be the best use of the word, but there's a ton of merit in the sense that it's perceived as a beer worth trading for. I guess a better way to put it is that it's 'sought.'

This just helps my chances of being able to complete $4$ trades for beers I am seeking. For example, regularly rotated beers from OH or TH may not be as sought out as their one-offs with someone from the west coast. So when given the chance, I'm absolutely going to try to buy more of the latter in order to trade.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #29996
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    I mean, I do consider 'value' when it comes to how much I plan on getting. May not be the best use of the word, but there's a ton of merit in the sense that it's perceived as a beer worth trading for. I guess a better way to put it is that it's 'sought.'

This just helps my chances of being able to complete $4$ trades for beers I am seeking. For example, regularly rotated beers from OH or TH may not be as sought out as their one-offs with someone from the west coast. So when given the chance, I'm absolutely going to try to buy more of the latter in order to trade.
    Like I said....I get it. I understand why people do it. It's just not my preference when it comes to trading.
    Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #29997
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Like I said....call me old school or call me foolish....I've given beers like BCBCS and KBS and Vanilla Rye away to people who haven't had them with no expectation of getting anything in return because to me the value of beer is in the experience of drinking it.....
    Old 02-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #29998
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Like I said....call me old school or call me foolish....I've given beers like BCBCS and KBS and Vanilla Rye away to people who haven't had them with no expectation of getting anything in return because to me the value of beer is in the experience of drinking it.....
    Sometimes sharing a great beer with someone who can appreciate it is almost as good as enjoying it yourself.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #29999
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Totally. I've done this as well (not to the extent of BCBCS), but my trading group is pretty limited, and is geographically similar so $4$ trades are my saving grace for much of what I have no access to.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #30000
    ckramer09

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    Sometimes sharing a great beer with someone who can appreciate it is almost as good as enjoying it yourself.
    This. 100% agree. When I have a share with friends, pretty much anything is fair game. I ask them if they've had it and if they'd like to. If they say yes, it gets opened.

Most of the time, it is something I haven't had either. I like to be able to share my "sought after" beers with others. It's an experience and I like to share the experience with them.
    ckramer09 is offline   Reply With Quote