**Official Izod Center 2012 Thread** - Page 77 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #2281
jiggajm18
Joe

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Izod Center 2012 Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
Right, it's not concrete, but it's not like they're just playing whatever they feel like on the spur of the moment, all the while ensuring that they're not repeating things from the previous few shows. From what I've heard the master list is used pretty strictly for first sets, and then during set break they take a look at what's left and create a roadmap for how they want the second set to go, even if they don't follow it to the letter.

Not saying DMB should do this -- I think we'd have gaps of 10 minutes between songs while Dave figures out what the hell he wants to do -- but I wouldn't mind if he followed something like this preshow while writing the set (instead of just saying he does in interviews and then repeating Jimi and SMLAM a billion times a tour ).
that one interview he gave where he said something like "i look at what's played the past 3 or 4 years at each venue and try not to repeat it" made me cringe.
jiggajm18 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #2282
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donkachuba View Post
    eh, it's a panties song. once you heard one you have heard em all. no vehicle for jamming. it's the kind of song where some chick in 1997 held your hand and you felt all gushy inside. but at this point it is near nauseating. its the kind of song where you might as well listen to the cd version. its the same thing only aging chicks in their thirties are layering it instead of 18 year old chicks. i go to live shows to move to see new fresh creation, not a standard going-through-the-motions chord progression with ubercheese lyrics.

but to each their own. you have an a-rod avatar after all. ;-)
    I think you're missing the point. No one is asking whether you like Crash or not, but whether it's more popular than You & Me, which it is.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #2283
    donkachuba

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggajm18 View Post
    not sure what shows you are at, but crash gets a very energetic crowd reaction when the first chord is hit and during the outro every time it's played.
    dave has the stage. people paid lots of money and spent time to get there. he could strike any chord and it will send people's voices into a frenzy. it may be the females in the audience. but no dude i know goes "oh man, CRASH!" and gives their brosef high five.

i can't argue something subjective. just saying my take regardless of anyone else is that yes it s nice song, but would never be on my dream setlist. i see no point. when a band plays the song the way it is on the album, to me it almost defeats the idea of the benefit of a live experience. it's predictable. it might arouse people. but i guess i'm not one of them. it's a love song and perhaps a crowd pleaser going-through-the-motions-tune.

a good portion of the same people go all crazy for this that are the ones that ruin the dave and tim intimate acoustic performances with loud screeches. wet panties song.

Last edited by donkachuba; 12-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    donkachuba is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #2284
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbktonyb View Post
    This has been obvious for a while, but I don't think one other band member has any say in the set. I think it is 100% Dave.
    more like 95
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #2285
    donkachuba

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    I think you're missing the point. No one is asking whether you like Crash or not, but whether it's more popular than You & Me, which it is.
    if that is the point than yeah. but i wasn't responding to it, more the exact comment that said it was a top 5 dmb song.

but you can say the same for any artist when comparing time period pieces from their peak to the present. i mean dylan, young, etc. Under the table, crash, and b4 crowded streets will always be generally superior in content to anything that came after it. GENERALLY.

Last edited by donkachuba; 12-04-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #2286
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    cmon, crash? no way a top 5 classic. girls may scream their unison high pitchness during such perfomances and maybe billboard-wise it is a top 5. but space between, crash, where are you going..these are examples of songs that offer an opportunity to grab a beer or bathroom break. these are snoozers and lack the improv and energy.

seek up, two step, these are the great ones.
    crash into me is staple dmb...what the fuck are you talking about.
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #2287
    jiggajm18
    Joe

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    dave has the stage. people paid lots of money and spent time to get there. he could strike any chord and it will send people's voices into a frenzy. it may be the females in the audience. but no dude i know goes "oh man, CRASH!" and gives their brosef high five.

i can't argue something subjective. just saying my take regardless of anyone else is that yes it s nice song, but would never be on my dream setlist. i see no point. when a band plays the song the way it is on the album, to me it almost defeats the idea of the benefit of a live experience. it's predictable. it might arouse people. but i guess i'm not one of them. it's a love song and perhaps a crowd pleaser going-through-the-motions-tune.

a good portion of the same people go all crazy for this that are the ones that ruin the dave and tim intimate acoustic performances with loud screeches. wet panties song.
    crash gets a great crowd reaction from both men and women. not sure what shows you are at.

i'm not arguing about whether you like it or not, or how you react. i frankly don't care at all. but to say that only females react to it just isn't true.
    jiggajm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #2288
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggajm18 View Post
    that one interview he gave where he said something like "i look at what's played the past 3 or 4 years at each venue and try not to repeat it" made me cringe.
    yea bullshit he does that lol
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #2289
    hbktonyb
    6 time SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 98

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    eh, it's a panties song. once you heard one you have heard em all. no vehicle for jamming. it's the kind of song where some chick in 1997 held your hand and you felt all gushy inside. but at this point it is near nauseating. its the kind of song where you might as well listen to the cd version. its the same thing only aging chicks in their thirties are layering it instead of 18 year old chicks. i go to live shows to move to see new fresh creation, not a standard going-through-the-motions chord progression with ubercheese lyrics.

but to each their own. you have an a-rod avatar after all. ;-)
    Disagree times a million. Nauseating!?

Like I said, I'd choose many other songs over Crash, but it is not on the level as Where Are You Going as you stated.

GORGE 08
    hbktonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #2290
    donkachuba

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Disagree times a million. Nauseating!?

Like I said, I'd choose many other songs over Crash, but it is not on the level as Where Are You Going as you stated.
    you called it a top 5. that was my only protest.

i'm glad you like it. seriously. not trying to be a douche, just don't feel it is a top 5. yes its better than where are you going, which is uber cheap and came during dave's worst period. but i just don't feel a live crash does anything for me at all or serves much of a purpose. give me rhyme or reason, the stone, seek up, two step, halloween, the song that jane likes.

the ballads have their place tactfully on an album. they serve as a good rester during the show. but a ballad from an earlier period which has been played the same way for two decades bores me.
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #2291
    donkachuba

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    it's not a top 5. that's what i am talking about. that is where i entered the discussion. staple? ok, that is a word you use. i won't debate that. but a "top 5" live song? well i just guess it depends on your definition. "staple" has a different meaning. it can be one of those, but not a top 5. he can play it every show, doesn't make it a top 5 for me. especially since it doesn't evolve and might as well be the track from the cd playing.

i can not fathom how crash would be stimulating to a die hard fan who must have heard it the same way 5 billion times. what makes live improv music for me, for band like phish or even dmb, is the chance to see something fresh, new, exciting and a place you don't necessarily know where it is going.

Last edited by donkachuba; 12-04-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #2292
    hbktonyb
    6 time SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 98

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Just to be clear about what I meant - It is a top 5 classic in terms of crowd reaction...along with Ants, Two Step, Crush, etc... I don't mind that you don't like the song, but it truly isn't on the level of Where Are You Going.

GORGE 08
    hbktonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #2293
    donkachuba

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just to be clear about what I meant - It is a top 5 classic in terms of crowd reaction...along with Ants, Two Step, Crush, etc... I don't mind that you don't like the song, but it truly isn't on the level of Where Are You Going.
    not that i don't like it. it's a well written song. but not what i want live. and it's tired. when i compare to where are you going or space between, i mean it is a sorta relatively sing-song way. like a singer songwriter style. a song that could be done with or without the entirety of the band and be what it is. a song without the live jam vehicle. a song my mom might hear on the radio and enjoy. a sorta simple song without much interlude between horns, strings, drums - a song love song, etc.

maybe i am characterizing it in a way i can't articulate. a way my mind has come to an agreement about. but in some compartment in my head, space between, where are you going, and crash belong to a same grouping. anticlimactic.

but yeah crash is a superior version from a superior dmb era, so even if it is the same kinda song, as the others mentioned, it is superior because his writing was peaking then.

Last edited by donkachuba; 12-04-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #2294
    ben chappy

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    no dude i know goes "oh man, CRASH!" and gives their brosef high five.
    Say what you want but I've given many high fives when crash gets plaid. I would laugh if I saw some " brosefs" with there arms crossed, like "dude bro I'm way to bad ass for crash bro".
    ben chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #2295
    Fatoldsun

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I like where are you going.
    Fatoldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #2296
    Fatoldsun

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I am no superman is some deep shit, man. why the hate?
    Fatoldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #2297
    senator48

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

People have way too much time on their hands.
    senator48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #2298
    aschwab22
    So Damn Lucky...

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by senator48 View Post
    People have way too much time on their hands.
    that is no shit....

I thought both Izod shows were awesome for different reasons...and if I have to see repeats from the new album on the second night, they sure picked my faves...the RAPUNZEL encore was bananas....and Shake Me Like a Monkey is one of my faves from Big Whiskey...I hope to hear more from Big Whiskey in CT this weekend...

maybe a little Alligator Pie!?!?
    Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #2299
    maddmann5

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know what guitar Dave played during The Space Between Encore? I know it was a High B, but it wasn't the Gibson.
    2007 - SPAC, IZOD 2008 - Hartford x2, SPAC x2, MSG 2009 - IZOD, Beacon, Jones Beach x2 2010 - Hartford x2, Citi Field x2, Nassau Coliseum, MSG x2 2011 - Govenors Island, Randalls Island x3, D+T Wallingford 2012 - Hartford x2, Jones Beach x2, IZOD x2, Jimmy Fallon Band Bench, Barclays
    maddmann5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #2300
    ajl1086

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    I agree what is he talking about. Where are you going too. DMB has amazing ballads, the fun rocking songs are not the only gems at all.
    ajl1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #2301
    OoYeahTrafikJam
    Que Sera, Sera

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

anyone have pics from N2? like a flickr gallery or something?
    Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #2302
    Mattardz

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OoYeahTrafikJam View Post
    anyone have pics from N2? like a flickr gallery or something?
    I'm sure this isn't the quality you're looking for but its what I have from when I was floating around the pit.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...172.1104924558

I do really like the ones when carter is throwing the sticks off the stage. I think the signs and the angle together look really cool.

Last edited by Mattardz; 12-17-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Mattardz is offline   Reply With Quote