Drunken Soldier - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Drunken Soldier

Based from the early reviews, as well as Stefan and Lillywhite's tweets that Drunken Soldier is the best closing song of any DMB album, it's safe to say that this is one of the most anticipated songs on AFTW. To further the excitement was that 55 second teaser clip for AFTW featuring DS.

What perked my interest though was the conversation between Dave and Rodrigo posted the other day - for those of you who haven't seen it they start talking about DS at 1:24:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4L5...ure=plpp_video

He talks about DS quite alot, but what really intrigued me what at first talking about playing the parts it for Carter and Roi which obviously meant he's had it around for awhile. Then he went on to say that he had played parts of it for both Cavallo and even Batson but the song never came to fruition.

It was very interesting to hear that because many times I feel that the Band has great ideas for songs musically, and they rush to perform the song live before it's relatively set lyrically. In the end the song never never get's finished and doesn't reach it's potential (Shotgun, Crazy East, Good Good Time, Sugar Will, etc).

Hearing that this song has apparently been kicking around in Dave's head for nearly 8 years really get's me excited that it was finally finished properly and the Band didn't rush it either in the studio or live just for the sake of getting it out.

I'm pumped to get to hear the fruits of the Band's labor tonight. I also can't wait to see if everyone thinks Drunken Soldier was worth the (apparently) 8 years Dave waited to get it right, and also if it is indeed the best closing song to a DMB album.

That's not a star, that's a satellite...

Last edited by two-by-twostep; 09-02-2012 at 10:36 PM.
two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Drunken Soldier

Doesn't relate to DS, but I think Sugar Will and Shotgun both reached their potential eventually.

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
    ajk316

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBenjamin View Post
    Based from the early reviews, as well as Stefan and Lillywhite's tweets that Drunken Soldier is the best closing song of any DMB album, it's safe to say that this is one of the most anticipated songs on AFTW. To further the excitement was that 55 second teaser clip for AFTW featuring DS.

What perked my interest though was the conversation between Dave and Rodrigo posted the other day - for those of you who haven't seen it they start talking about DS at 1:24:

He talks about DS quite alot, but what really intrigued me what at first talking about playing the parts it for Carter and Roi which obviously meant he's had it around for awhile. Then he went on to say that he had played parts of it for both Cavallo and even Batson but the song never came to fruition.

It was very interesting to hear that because many times I feel that the Band has great ideas for songs musically, and they rush to perform the song live before it's relatively set lyrically. In the end the song never never get's finished and doesn't reach it's potential (Shotgun, Crazy East, Good Good Time, Sugar Will, etc).

Hearing that this song has apparently been kicking around in Dave's head for nearly 8 years really get's me excited that it was finally finished properly and the Band didn't rush it either in the studio or live just for the sake of getting it out.

I'm pumped to get to hear the fruits of the Band's labor tonight. I also can't wait to see if everyone thinks Drunken Soldier was worth the (apparently) 8 years Dave waited to get it right, and also if it is indeed the best closing song to a DMB album.

I was literally on my way in to preach my excitement based off that interview when i saw your post!!! Beat me to it! But I totally agree. I am very very very excited to hear this one. And Dave even said this is a song he is looking forward to playing live. I have enjoyed the new music personally. Whatever Dave is feeling musically and lyrically is fine by me. He works his a** off to come up with the best stuff he can come up with at the time he is writing. And this song has been lurking for 8 years!! This song has got to be something within Dave that he just had to make sure he was really feeling it to release it. I am glad to hear he didn't just throw lyrics to it and cut losses. If for some odd reason you have doubted this band and not looking forward to a new DMB album (which you should just be excited for some new music) this song should get everyone pumped. Now I am beyond enthusiastic to hear this song. I will accept it for what it is, and love every second of it. For this new album I will leave with the wise words of Bart Scott - "Can't Wait"
    Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

i was thinking it might have been that song they were playing in the studio with cavallo and roi at the start of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI7L3DfulVY
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    i was thinking it might have been that song they were playing in the studio with cavallo and roi at the start of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI7L3DfulVY

wait is that "the pace song" ? ... I can't remember.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
    proppenator

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Unfortunately, that turned into the Time Bomb intro.
    proppenator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by proppenator View Post
    Unfortunately, that turned into the Time Bomb intro.
    What's "unfortunate" about that?
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

the "that pace song" (which is the song berman posted in that clip) frustrates me beyond belief. they had this unbelievable song they were working on and showed it in all the promo clips and then it turned into the piece of shit that is time bomb.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
    dmb27364041
    Since '99

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBenjamin View Post

What do u mean tonight? How are u going to hear Drunken Soldier tonight??
    Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb27364041 View Post
    What do u mean tonight? How are u going to hear Drunken Soldier tonight??
    ITunes Stream.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Check "When will album leak thread"
    Old 09-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    the "that pace song" (which is the song berman posted in that clip) frustrates me beyond belief. they had this unbelievable song they were working on and showed it in all the promo clips and then it turned into the piece of shit that is time bomb.
    I'm 100% with you on this one. It sounded deep and complex and really full- I knew it would be my favorite on the album- then I heard Time Bomb. Bleh. But DS can't be that clip- Dave said it didn't really reach the band status, right?
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
    ERoths711

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I KNOW. It sounds unbelievable in that video. So many layers, such great guitar. It could have been the next Two Step intro (like they reference in that video), but instead it turned into something pretty lame. Honestly, Time Bomb may have been a very good song had Lillywhite been at the helm. Also, could you imagine how amazing LITHOG would have been had Lillywhite produced it?

"Y'all look like pasta with red sauce on it!" - DM, 5/26/13
    ERoths711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
    ElijahSoRight72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ERoths711 View Post
    Also, could you imagine how amazing LITHOG would have been had Lillywhite produced it?
    I don't know, its hard to say. I really like the way Rob did LITHOG.
    Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    I'm 100% with you on this one. It sounded deep and complex and really full- I knew it would be my favorite on the album- then I heard Time Bomb. Bleh. But DS can't be that clip- Dave said it didn't really reach the band status, right?
    Not during the Big Whiskey sessions, but possibly during the Stand Up sessions.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
    ERoths711

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't know, its hard to say. I really like the way Rob did LITHOG.
    I mean I agree with you. It was a great recording, but Lillywhite would have had a field day with that one. He also would have made Time Bomb into something respectable or even well liked, and improved Spaceman and Funny. But...whatever. Big Whiskey was a solid album and this one will be better.

"Y'all look like pasta with red sauce on it!" - DM, 5/26/13
    ERoths711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Goddamn Time Bomb. Perfect examples of two ideas that as a a separate thought, would be awesome. But combined and mashed together....failure.
    Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

love time bomb. not sure what shit yall on.
    Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
    warehouseguy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I know the pace song became Time Bomb, but the layering in that promo video sounds very similar, or at least in the same vein, as the promo with Drunken Soldier. If we hear more songs like that, then very excited about this album. What I really want them to rediscover is that SBC 05 soundcheck song that surfaced on Youtube.
    Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
    ElijahSoRight72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by warehouseguy View Post
    I know the pace song became Time Bomb, but the layering in that promo video sounds very similar, or at least in the same vein, as the promo with Drunken Soldier. If we hear more songs like that, then very excited about this album. What I really want them to rediscover is that SBC 05 soundcheck song that surfaced on Youtube.
    If. IF. Somehow. DS is 'the pace song'. I will shit bricks. Then declare this album the best album of all time.
    Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
    thebridge15

My Tour Central Stats

Because nothing says "best album of all time" like under a minute of music from a studio session improv.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
    ElijahSoRight72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    Because nothing says "best album of all time" like under a minute of music from a studio session improv.
    Yes. Let overhyping live on!
    Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
    thebridge15

My Tour Central Stats

at least you're fucking around. I can't wait for next week when people are serious in declaring AFTW the best album ever.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
    ebrread003

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    sounds like idea of you to me, what is this 'pace song'?
    Old 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
    gmoore4th

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well said.
    Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
    ElijahSoRight72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    at least you're fucking around. I can't wait for next week when people are serious in declaring AFTW the best album ever.
    It'll probably go like this:

Weeks One-Three: Most of us will declare "Best Album of all time"
    Weeks and/or months after: "I guess I the album wasn't as good as my hype told me :{("
    Sometime Later: "After I picked this back up, I realize its a great album!"

This was BW for me.
    Old 09-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrread003 View Post
    sounds like idea of you to me, what is this 'pace song'?
    This video features the same musical piece being recorded early during the BW sessions. When the video came out in March of 08 it obviously didn't have a name so people took to calling it "The Pace Song" because at 9 seconds Roi says "It needs that pace!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQWXMWC4e08

As far as the discussion about the Pace Song being used for Drunken Soldier, I highly doubt it. The Pace Song is primarily on the Villette and I believe I heard Dave didn't use it at all for this record.

But I agree with almost everyone, the face that the Pace Song turned into TB is unbelievably disappointing. If nothing else though, let's hope that Pace Song's frenetic energy and layering had an influence on Drunken Soldier. I guess we'll find out in a few hours!

Last edited by two-by-twostep; 09-03-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Doesn't relate to DS, but I think Sugar Will and Shotgun both reached their potential eventually.
    shotgun definitely did not reach its full potential. it musically began going downhill after 2006 and dave has never had a good focus on the lyrics. lillywhite could do wonders with it. hell, i could do wonders with it. they're so close to making it be amazing, but i doubt it'll ever get there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    What's "unfortunate" about that?

time bomb blows, especially considering what it was claimed to be and what the tease of it was. i can see why it was said to be a mix of dreaming tree and halloween, but its not as good as either of those. the "pace" song could have been that great, but whatever happened between when that video was recorded and when BW was released, it destroyed that music.

Quote:
    If. IF. Somehow. DS is 'the pace song'. I will shit bricks. Then declare this album the best album of all time.
    that would be amazing, but i don't see how time bomb could come out after that video and then not be the song from that video.
    Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
    ebrread003

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Now that many of us have heard this, why is it called Drunken Soldier?!

Maybe Gaucho Galaxy Jr. fits it better...
    Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #30
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

This song not ending with a big Fantomas style freakout is my only complaint.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote